Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
I went to the Saints game at the Dome yesterday and went to the Tu vs Temple game at Yulman the week before. To compare the two experiences is like comparing night to day. The atmosphere depends on the crowd size and not the venue. It was the first time in quite awhile I experienced what a real fan experience should be like. Saints fans were tailgating all over the place. Once inside the crowd noise was incredible. Whereas at Yulman it's dead. I just can't see Tulane getting that type of crowd any longer. We've lost too many generations of fans over the years. Tailgating at Tulane is great. I'd rather be on campus then at the Dome any day. I'm not convinced if we win the crowds will fill Yulman. I believe people have found other things to do with their time. Maybe once in awhile playing an Ole Miss we'd fill it but on a consistent basis I don't see it. The Dome wasn't our problem but Yulman wasn't going to solve the problem either.
Wait a second. People were tailgating and having fun at the Dome? Get out of here. :mrgreen:

If we play an Ole Miss it will be at the Dome. If it's at Yulman it will mean we continue to suck and the place will literally have 20,000 Ole Miss fans in it.

As I been saying I think the facilities really hurt recruiting. Hopefully Fritz is a good enough coach to overcome that. If he's not it's over.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Beginning with the BCS era we became "de facto" Div. 2 along with everyone else left out of the BCS. Then the P5 came along and solidified our status and that of the others in the G5 as "de facto" Div. 2.

1998 was our chance to step up but Cowen threw the car in reverse and made it plain he wanted no part of big time Div. 1 football.

The public simply views us, the entire AAC and our former conference CUSA as the "little league."

Those are the facts a 30K seat stadium can't change.
GreenGears
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:
GreenGears wrote:I disagree, a couple eight win seasons will build a following.
I disagree but it would be nice to see who is right after those 8 win seasons. :mrgreen:
I'll agree to agree on back to back 8+ win seasons.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's easy to see it that way but it's Tulane that made itself Div. 2 and it's been that way a long time before the BCS and P5. There are other G5's having success. Tulane can join them if it addresses their very serious facility issues.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wavetime
Swell

I'm hopeful that we can put 20K in the stands if we go to a few bowl games back to back to back.

Remember, Fritz wouldn't have come here if we didn't have Yulman.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's the recruits we have to worry about not coming because of Yulman.
capwave
High Tide

I surely don't believe Yulman stadium was the solution to our problems, winning is. I have been going to games since 1978 in the dome and for the most part it has sucked. There was no tailgating, you just showed up for the game. If you want to call what they did at the dome the last few years tailgating, go ahead. I surely won't call it that. Yulman stadium has its issues. The service at the concessions and the fact that they run out of food is pretty bad. The stadium on the west side is glorified high school. Even if we can't fill it they need to expand that side to at least look legitimate. You win, they will fill 35-40k. But with that said, my family and I have loved going to games and the tailgating has been great. The on campus experience is night and day from the super dome. I recently brought a buddy who is a die hard LSU fan who happens to have a father in law that has a suite at tiger stadium. Needless to say they have it pretty good at games. He has kids the same age as mine and our wives are friends. I took them to the SMU game and they had a blast. They loved every minute of it and they can't wait to go to a game next year. They bought Tulane gear and his kids wear their Tulane hats all the time now. He loved the stadium and the tailgating. He is not a Tulane fan. He hopes they win if they aren't playing LSU and thats about it. But he and his family enjoyed the experience so much that they will be back next year. That says a lot.
Wavetime
Swell

winwave wrote:It's the recruits we have to worry about not coming because of Yulman.
When Bennie Ellender was here we won. When Larry Smith was here we won. When Mack Brown was here we won. When Tommy Bowden was here we won. It's my opinion that this is not a fluke. Media and coaches can say what they want, players go to a school yes, but they play for a coach. Look at the recruits Perry Clark signed. When Perry signed all of those players over those years our facility was still one of the smallest and worst in the country. But, they played for him. I do think Coach Fritz, who has a great name, will have a positive effect on recruiting. Our recruiting will start to improve next year when he has a chance to establish himself with the local coaches.

Just my opinion.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:
winwave wrote:It's the recruits we have to worry about not coming because of Yulman.
When Bennie Ellender was here we won. When Larry Smith was here we won. When Mack Brown was here we won. When Tommy Bowden was here we won. It's my opinion that this is not a fluke. Media and coaches can say what they want, players go to a school yes, but they play for a coach. Look at the recruits Perry Clark signed. When Perry signed all of those players over those years our facility was still one of the smallest and worst in the country. But, they played for him. I do think Coach Fritz, who has a great name, will have a positive effect on recruiting. Our recruiting will start to improve next year when he has a chance to establish himself with the local coaches.

Just my opinion.
Ellender,Smith,Brown and Bowden coached in great stadiums. The other facilities hadn't really started being much different till around Bowden's time 20 years ago. Now our facilities just don't come close to matching up. Fritz isn't known for recruiting and hasn't recruited much at this level. He has his work cut out for him. If there is someone who can figure away around the issue it's him. I hope he does.

As for Perry that was 30 years ago. Kelley gave him everything he wanted as far as being able to get players in. Also the magic didn't really last all that long. Hell even Perry wanted the Arena built. He knew the gym was a hindrance. It still is.

There is no getting around it. The facilities are a major issue for Tulane athletics.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What did Mack Brown win? I think he went .500 his last season at Tulane, including the bowl game. Got him an uptick to Carolina.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
chain gang x man
Swell

Last edited by chain gang x man on Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ed right on target again.
For baseball, you would like to allow your head coach to stack financial aid. If a player gets $15,000 in aid via baseball scholarship and $20,000 in academic money, that money should total $35,000.

Unfortunately, stacking is not allowed. If you can only take the higher amount, in this case the academic money, a family would still owe $46,000 on the current cost of a year for a student athlete at Tulane University.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's got a lot of it right but not all. First off tps you and I spend a lot of times at the games much more than on these boards. Secondly as for baseball they can stack athletic scholarship money w/academic money. Jewett said so on a TV show before the season w/Scott Alexander that you referenced people to. Plus there is TOPS money that can be stacked. The issue w/regards to need based aid has to be addressed. We also still have legislative scholarships available and our AD and coaches need to be made aware of it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:He's got a lot of it right but not all. First off tps you and I spend a lot of times at the games much more than on these boards. Secondly as for baseball they can stack athletic scholarship money w/academic money. Jewett said so on a TV show before the season w/Scott Alexander that you referenced people to. Plus there is TOPS money that can be stacked. The issue w/regards to need based aid has to be addressed. We also still have legislative scholarships available and our AD and coaches need to be made aware of it.
Ask any baseball parent that pays the tuition. According to the parents I know that's not happening. TOPS only for La kids that qualify. So are the Legislator Schollys.
We only had 8 kids from La and only about half contributed this season. And most won't return.
Tulane Class of 1981
chain gang x man
Swell

winwave wrote:He's got a lot of it right but not all. First off tps you and I spend a lot of times at the games much more than on these boards. Secondly as for baseball they can stack athletic scholarship money w/academic money. Jewett said so on a TV show before the season w/Scott Alexander that you referenced people to. Plus there is TOPS money that can be stacked. The issue w/regards to need based aid has to be addressed. We also still have legislative scholarships available and our AD and coaches need to be made aware of it.
Be careful when it comes to the legislative scholarships. The news media would love to report that Tulane is abusing the system and have the scholarships eliminated. Each legislator receives one scholarship renewable every year and the recipient has to live in his/her district.
Thank you Sidney Bartholomew
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
Ask any baseball parent that pays the tuition. You find out that's not happening. TOPS only for La kids that qualify. So are the Legislator Schollys.
We only had 8 kids from La and only half contributed.
They do get to stack academic money. Of course TOPS is only for La. kids. Never said otherwise. Same fro the leg. scholarships. We have a lot of good players here that can we can use them on. Our program was built on those scholarships in large part. Like I said we need to make sure the AD and coach are fully aware of them. Then TJ can adjust recruiting accordingly. That's my point.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:
Be careful when it comes to the legislative scholarships. The news media would love to report that Tulane is abusing the system and have the scholarships eliminated. Each legislator receives one scholarship renewable every year and the recipient has to live in his/her district.
Thank you Sidney Bartholomew
The media has moved on. The scholarships are still there just as they always have been. Even when the media spotlight was at its brightest the legislators never gave them up and they never will. The legislators now just don't make the mistake of giving them to family.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Athletic and academic aid won't stack unless the student athlete meets one of several (relatively) high level academic criteria (top 10%/3.5 GPA/25 ACT).

http://diycollegerankings.com/can-colle ... hips/6267/
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Athletic and academic aid won't stack unless the student athlete meets one of several (relatively) high level academic criteria (top 10%/3.5 GPA/25 ACT).

That's correct.
Tulane simply does not have the endowment to offer such a broad policy for ALL "accepted" students. It only has it for "qualified" students as however defined. Unfortunately we don't have enough baseball players currently who meet those existing academic requirements. However the majority qualify for need based aid which is not allowed to be "stacked".
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Athletic and academic aid won't stack unless the student athlete meets one of several (relatively) high level academic criteria (top 10%/3.5 GPA/25 ACT).

That's correct.
Tulane simply does not have the endowment to offer such a broad policy for ALL "accepted" students. It only has it for "qualified" students as however defined. Unfortunately we don't have enough baseball players currently who meet those existing academic requirements. However the majority qualify for need based aid which is not allowed to be "stacked".
besides financial issues the biggest problem at Tulane is the lack of true educators....these lazy tenured ass holes only want those who make their job easy, not those they can inspire to reach further....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's part of Jewett's job, or whoever is the HC , at any point in time. We can get a lot of really good players from Texas that-A) Family has money, B)They meet those academic standards . I'll also note the $71,000 figure now being thrown around is not the actual number families will have to come up with. I think it was FW on the other site that debunked that figure when it was supposedly $60,000.

While I'm on FW he brought up UCF's first year coaches name for our job last year. We have more than stacking issues. We have coaching issues. You watch UCF and you see a very well coached team. They execute in unison on offense and defense. They are excellent in situational baseball. We haven't ever had that under any of our coaches. Our winning was based on amassing talent. Nothing wrong with that but it catches up with you when you try to win it all. Watching UCF play reminds you of why we fell in love with baseball. I hope I live to see us play like that.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Right now I have a big problem with our AD after his first 18 months on the job:

1. He has done a terrible job of communicating with the fan base. No mention of his facility plan, fundraising objectives, upcoming events...nothing. He's been very quiet to this out of towner. He occasionally tweets something...that's all I get from this guy.

2. All three of his men's hires had losing seasons...Fritz has done a terrible job of recruiting, especially in Louisiana, Dunleavy was a huge disappointment in his first year, Jewett's team got off to a horrible start, had a decent middle of the season, and a poor finish.

3. Dannen's only successes have been his Women's Volleyball Coach and the Angry Wave branding.

You would have to say Fitts has been a big supporter of Athletics and has done nothing to handcuff the AD. Dannen was given the keys to the Kingdom so it is 100% on him to produce a winning athletic department.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:

That's part of Jewett's job, or whoever is the HC , at any point in time. We can get a lot of really good players from Texas that-A) Family has money, B)They meet those academic standards . I'll also note the $71,000 figure now being thrown around is not the actual number families will have to come up with...
A)Texas, Rice, TCU, A&M, Houston, Houston Baptist and others (LSU etc) are also going for that same kid.
B)On the $71,000 comment I'll agree. But the point I'm making is that as that number grows so does the cost to both parents and student athletes.
It's just makes any coaches job that more difficult to have to deal with off the field stuff like that. Believe me it's nothing at all compared to what he had at Vandy. Nothing at all.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:

That's part of Jewett's job, or whoever is the HC , at any point in time. We can get a lot of really good players from Texas that-A) Family has money, B)They meet those academic standards . I'll also note the $71,000 figure now being thrown around is not the actual number families will have to come up with...
On the $71,000 comment I'll agree. But the point I'm making is that as that number grows so does the cost to both parents and student athletes.
It's just makes any coaches job that more difficult to have to deal with off the field stuff like that. Believe me it's nothing at all compared to what he had at Vandy. Nothing at all.
The value of the scholarship goes up too. It is an issue and one of the reasons TJ got picked was his knowledge on the issue. Yes its different than Vandy but he was fully aware of that. Like I said earlier he was asked directly by Alexander on that show about the issue and he has a recruiting plan to address it. We'll know soon enough if his plan can work or not. Again though we have long had more than stacking issues.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TOPS is part of academic aid and is not stacked.
Tulane Class of 1981