Tulane and LSU host FB camp in June

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Well, it's finally happened. I'm not sure whether it's a victory or a loss.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... obile_home

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I consider it a loss. I'd much rather have Michigan coaches on our campus than LSU coaches. At the same time, it may mean that the Tulane staff feels more Louisiana kids would rather be evaluated by Ed Orgeron and Co. than Jim Harbaugh and Co. My bet is LSU is hunting for a coach once again in 3 years, and Harbaugh will win a national championship in that timeframe.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Well, it's finally happened. I'm not sure whether it's a victory or a loss.

I wonder what made LSWHO change their tune? They went from we want nothing to do with you to hey let's cohost a football camp... I don't know what it is, but something feels off....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Well, it's finally happened. I'm not sure whether it's a victory or a loss.

I wonder what made LSWHO change their tune? They went from we want nothing to do with you to hey let's cohost a football camp... I don't know what it is, but something feels off....
It seems obvious to me that they'd rather co-host with us than have Michigan doing so in their back yard. Am I missing something?
ajcalhoun
Swell

I'd consider it a victory. LSU caved.
God Bless Everyone!
TURVS71
Swell

I'm sorry but the way and many times that school has F'd us, I don't see the reason to do ANY joint venture with them....
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:I'm sorry but the way and many times that school has F'd us, I don't see the reason to do ANY joint venture with them....
We offered last year and were turned down so we partnered with Texas A&M. I guess they didn't want Michigan competition. They figured we are no threat I'm sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Perhaps the quid pro quo is a future game vs LSU.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote:I consider it a loss. I'd much rather have Michigan coaches on our campus than LSU coaches. At the same time, it may mean that the Tulane staff feels more Louisiana kids would rather be evaluated by Ed Orgeron and Co. than Jim Harbaugh and Co. My bet is LSU is hunting for a coach once again in 3 years, and Harbaugh will win a national championship in that timeframe.
I think I agree with some of this. It would be best for Tulane to weaken LSU's stranglehold on Louisiana recruits at all costs - even if that means hosting more camp with out of state schools that don't have access to enough elite recruits in state (i.e. Auburn/Tennessee/Kansas State/Oklahoma/Michigan/etc.). If those camps took place, it would take time to have a significant negative effect on LSU's recruiting, but, once that happens Tulane would have a much better shot at quality recruits.

On a side note, I'm not sure that Harbaugh will win the B1G anytime soon. He's a great coach and everything, but he seems to frequently choke during big games in the regular season, Franklin/Meyer may be consistently better B1G West coaches overall, and there may be a resurgence in the East.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:

Well we did kinda fire the coach (Les Miles) that didn't want to have anything to do with Tulane.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

An update to the article indicates that the Michigan camp is cancelled. I'm not sure that was a good idea.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:Perhaps the quid pro quo is a future game vs LSU.
They contractually owe us a game, in the Dome if I'm not mistaken.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:Perhaps the quid pro quo is a future game vs LSU.
They contractually owe us a game, in the Dome if I'm not mistaken.
Yep.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
waveprof
Ripple

FWIW Julie Boudwin of the TP claims that Coach O says this camp will be open to "all" Louisiana schools. Which means we caved on the condition we wouldn't cave on last year......

While this seemed like it might have been a victory yesterday, this news really dampens any room for a victory party.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What has been said is that all the LSU camps are open to all schools. The one at Tulane is just Tulane and LSU.

From Ross Dellenger who covers LSU for the Advocate:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 81193.html
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
waveprof
Ripple

Winwave---Yes, I just came back to post that. Boudwin's quote must be a loose quote, because here is the original statement:

puffy
Surge

Would've preferred to host with Michigan.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Straight from the horses mouth (Fritz) Michigan has a camp in Nashville that same day. Harbaugh was going to be there and not at Tulane so Fritz cancelled ...still don't like the fact that we "partnered" with THAT school ....nothing good for us....
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

while I am not jumping up and down for Joy, or ready to feel Mary anything that gets potential players on campus is a good thing, even if it is with "them"....I personally think, with Coach's from both school present, many will be surprised at the caliber of those employed by Tulane...that said and posted, I still do not like deadlines !
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Orgeron now upset b/c he has heard SLU is going to do one w/Houston and Arkansas. He's reaching out to stop it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It looks like Tulane's ultimate goal was to have a Tulane/LSU only camp in an effort to escalate Tulane in the minds of Louisiana recruits. It makes sense in the sense that if Tulane snagged all of the 3* talent that currently ends up at LaTech, ULL, and ULM, it would consistently have a top 60-70 class. That being said, it may have made more sense to camp with high profile programs that have to recruit nationally due to the lack of elite prospects in their state (i.e. Michigan/Oklahoma/etc.) in the sense that having an elite program visit in Louisiana would help pry more elite recruits away from LSU, and the secondary effect of that occurring would be mid-level recruits becoming more likely to consider non-LSU options after seeing elite prospects doing exactly that. At the end of the day, however, anything is better than whatever was done last year for horrible the 2017 signing class.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote:I'm sorry but the way and many times that school has F'd us, I don't see the reason to do ANY joint venture with them....
I tend to agree with this. What we should do is take Coach O's quote about the "need to protect Louisiana", and show it to every Big XII and ACC school. I would like to see us rotate camps with different Big XII schools every year. Eventually that might get us an inside track with the Big XII, or whatever league succeeds it. If LSU wants to work with us to "protect" Louisiana, then let them go all the way and not only lift their barriers, but sponsor us for readmission into SEC--which the rest of the SEC would love.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
LSU-MD
Low Tide

HoustonWave wrote:
I tend to agree with this. What we should do is take Coach O's quote about the "need to protect Louisiana", and show it to every Big XII and ACC school. I would like to see us rotate camps with different Big XII schools every year. Eventually that might get us an inside track with the Big XII, or whatever league succeeds it. If LSU wants to work with us to "protect" Louisiana, then let them go all the way and not only lift their barriers, but sponsor us for readmission into SEC--which the rest of the SEC would love.
1. Why would the rest of the SEC love Tulane being readmitted to the SEC? The only way the SEC expands again is if adding the school(s) puts a lot of $$$ in the SEC schools pockets, and Tulane does not meet that criteria.

2. I could see why you would want to be in the ACC, but why on earth would anyone want to be in the Big 12? Last year's expansion mess proved that UT and OU have differing opinions about the future of the conference and that the conference will more than likely dissolve when its GOR expires.
DrBox
Riptide

if Harbaugh wasn't coming, and Michigan was double booked, then this is better. We'll see how it goes. WE don't need to participate in one of those LSU/La @ Lafayette/Nichols deals on LSU's campus.
WE aren't where we are because we are losing players to ULL and ULM. la Tech has good players, but we rarely go after the same players. WE are losing players to Houston, Memphis, the Arizonas, Kansas, etc.
Houston holding camp here isn't good for us, but nothing that we could or should do about it.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

LSU-MD wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
1. Why would the rest of the SEC love Tulane being readmitted to the SEC? The only way the SEC expands again is if adding the school(s) puts a lot of $$$ in the SEC schools pockets, and Tulane does not meet that criteria.

2. I could see why you would want to be in the ACC, but why on earth would anyone want to be in the Big 12? Last year's expansion mess proved that UT and OU have differing opinions about the future of the conference and that the conference will more than likely dissolve when its GOR expires.
The Big 12 has some issues, but, in most metrics, it's conference #3 (attendance, media rights payouts per team, etc.). Last season was a particularly bad year for the conference in terms of regular season football OOC game and NFL draft performance, but, given the moves in the offseason, the 2017 version of the Big 12 will - have 50% of the conference in the preseason top 25 (higher than any other conference), have the best collection of coaches in football the conference has had in a long time, etc. All of that ignores Mens basketball (top 2 conference), Womens basketball, or Mens baseball.

That sure doesn't sound like a conference that no one wants to be in.