Tommy Bowden...

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
HSV
High Tide

If the sentiment is that a "Bowden-like" coach would fit the bill for TU's needs that is one debate. No one should be advocating for his actual return as coach as it will never happen nor should it (due to many of the reasons listed above including he is not going to take a job this bad when he has the lifestyle/options he currently possesses; he is much older now and can't do the job anymore; he needed RR and can't have him now, etc...).

But the question of the Tommy Bowden type coach I think should be discussed. Spending big $$$ on a former head coach is not a slam dunk for a private school like TU. Don't believe me, just look how happy the people are at SMU (they have been wanting to fire June for a few years already and their program is struggling also).

I'm not defending CJ, Cowen, Dickson or anyone with these statements...I'm just saying hiring past head coaches from prominent programs doesn't necessarily lead to success (does the name Toledo ring a bell?).

What does that leave for TU -- who the hell knows. I don't think there is much to be gained by throwing CJ and staff under the bus and talking about replacements now when we all know there is no chance in hell of him being let go until at least after next season. Complain about his decisions, execution, results...sure, one should do that. But I think it is foolish at this point to already start talking about replacements (other than some people getting some dark satisfaction at being able to say "I told you so" if this hiring doesn't pan out). With few exceptions, very few on here had CJ as their top choice or even near the top...but as "fans" they want whoever gets the job to be successful. So there is no upside to taking the "I was right about CJ" mantra in my book. That is the past and he is the current and future coach for at least this season and next.

Hope that he does learn on the job (no sense in crying over spilled milk regarding his readiness to be a HC) quickly and the team does the unlikely and turns things around. In another season, if that does not occur, flame away at replacements, time to go etc... Given where the program is at present, you could complain about Cowen and Dickson but at this point, what novel piece of information are you going to add that hasn't been regurgitated here and elsewhere?

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

Anyone attending the Tommy Bowden event at the Glazer Club? Since he bad mouthed Tulane on his way out the door I would like to hear if he has nice things to say about the place that launched his Head Coaching career. Also, why would they hold this event in March? Why not honor him during a Football weekend at Yulman?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:Anyone attending the Tommy Bowden event at the Glazer Club? Since he bad mouthed Tulane on his way out the door I would like to hear if he has nice things to say about the place that launched his Head Coaching career. Also, why would they hold this event in March? Why not honor him during a Football weekend at Yulman?
He's being honored by the QB Club. Tulane (really Willie Fritz) pulled him in Friday night because he's in town for his QB Club award and decided to do something as well. Too bad it will hurt baseball attendance.
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

Why honor a coach that walked out after two years and fail to honor a baseball coach that stayed and had success for nearly 20 years?
Only at Tulane.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:Why honor a coach that walked out after two years and fail to honor a baseball coach that stayed and had success for nearly 20 years?
Only at Tulane.
Rick Jones was a very good coach, and, yes, he stayed 19 years, showing success in most (but not all) of his first 13 seasons.

And he should be honored, given a baseball weekend ceremony coinciding with his induction in the Tulane Hall of Fame.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
Show Me wrote:Why honor a coach that walked out after two years and fail to honor a baseball coach that stayed and had success for nearly 20 years?
Only at Tulane.
Rick Jones was a very good coach, and, yes, he stayed 19 years, showing success in most (but not all) of his first 13 seasons.

And he should be honored, given a baseball weekend ceremony coinciding with his induction in the Tulane Hall of Fame.
For sure!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Only at Tulane.

For sure!
He most assuredly will get that. Not sure of the HOF rules for Tulane but there is probably a time limit like 5 years and w/the way things went at the end that is probably best. It let's everybody focus on the fun times. (I know some will say RD is in but he's not . He got an award issued by it which of course he shouldn't have. Thus the loud chorus of boos at the game .)
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

RJ might have to be brought back to save this Baseball program.
torbida
Surge

Is there any video or story on the Tommy Bowden induction into the Glazer Club?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

torbida wrote:Is there any video or story on the Tommy Bowden induction into the Glazer Club?
He's was recognized and honored at the Glazer Club while in town for his New Orleans QB Club induction.
phpBB [video]
Tulane Class of 1981
torbida
Surge

thanks for video.Those two years 97-98 were good times living in Jacksonville,florida and listening to games on wwl at night (97 vs Memphis and 98 vs La Tech ) were fun because the football team was crushing opponents.I hope we can have a few more years like that soon.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

torbida wrote:thanks for video.Those two years 97-98 were good times living in Jacksonville,florida and listening to games on wwl at night (97 vs Memphis and 98 vs La Tech ) were fun because the football team was crushing opponents.I hope we can have a few more years like that soon.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
torbida wrote:thanks for video.Those two years 97-98 were good times living in Jacksonville,florida and listening to games on wwl at night (97 vs Memphis and 98 vs La Tech ) were fun because the football team was crushing opponents.I hope we can have a few more years like that soon.
WWL....back in the days when local's had a hand in making things happen !!!....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Great video, thanks for sharing, Tim. Anyone notice the young Sandy B? Yes, Tommy was a great coach, but our teams had more talent back then than we do now, as well. Our Athletics Dept under Kevin White and then Sandy Barbour were well run.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Whenever I think of Tommy Bowden, I can't help but recall an incident on his WWL call-in coach's show. A regular caller long before Bowden arrived was a man who identified himself as "Mr. Greenie". Mr. Greenie was a devoted Wave fan and was obviously challenged with a number of handicaps, the most obvious being a speech impediment. On Bowden's first show as head coach, he fielded a call from Mr. Greenie and handled the call without displaying a great deal of sensitivity (putting it mildly). I have always believed that how you deal with 'the least of these' is very revelatory about a person's character. In any case, it wasn't Bowden's finest moment.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Whenever I think of Tommy Bowden, I can't help but recall an incident on his WWL call-in coach's show. A regular caller long before Bowden arrived was a man who identified himself as "Mr. Greenie". Mr. Greenie was a devoted Wave fan and was obviously challenged with a number of handicaps, the most obvious being a speech impediment. On Bowden's first show as head coach, he fielded a call from Mr. Greenie and handled the call without displaying a great deal of sensitivity (putting it mildly). I have always believed that how you deal with 'the least of these' is very revelatory about a person's character. In any case, it wasn't Bowden's finest moment.
Lol. Mr Greenie was crazy. I remember Graff had to cut him off a few times or at least limit him to one call per show when he took over the show. I believe Perry Clark invited Mr Greenie to sit on the team bench for one game if he showed up at the game. I'd give Bowden a pass for that.
Tulane Class of 1981
Highwave
Low Tide

Never ceases to amaze me how many losers hate Bowden. Only at TU do fans bad mouth the most successful coach in the past 2 decades at TU (our only quick turnaround ever?).

He deserved to be honored by TU and I venture a guess that this wouldn't even be a discussion if Fat Cowen hadn't screwed him at the beginning of 1998 season by unexpectedly suspending players the week of the season opener.

Also, fwiw, the players at the event raved about him as a coach, mentor and as a man. Toney Converse gave a very moving speech.

We were lucky to have Bowden for 2 years and anyone blaming him for not staying longer needs to have their head examined. His boss(es) hired Scelfo over Rich Rod for goodness sake...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Very good interview
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Very good indeed! Almost brought a tear to my eye. Nice move to tell all the kids to strongly consider Tulane because they can win big here. Also It was interesting that he said Willie had invited him back Several times To visit.
anEngineer
Riptide

It really was some classy and helpful comments from Bowden. Wonder if he would be that gracious if Cowen were still here. It had to piss him off the way RR was treated.
Jaxwave
Swell

It was a good interview. But I don’t for a moment believe him when he says going to Clemson was a tough decision.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Jaxwave wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:38 pm It was a good interview. But I don’t for a moment believe him when he says going to Clemson was a tough decision.
I Agree. It was interesting though how he did mention the lack of competition locally- specifically that the saints and LSU stunk and were minimal factors locally.
Jaxwave
Swell

He also mentioned LSU has no competition in the state. Which is accurate, but it also reveals his true feelings that Tulane is not a great job. Also, he couldn’t find time to come back in 20 years? Reveals to me that we were just a blip on his lifetime radar. .