SAME OLD SAME OLD TULANE?

Talk about the latest recruits here.
posse
High Tide

Looks like Tulane really hasn't changed their JC admission standards, as we were led to believe. They limit our coaches to recruiting JC players who were academically qualified coming out of high school.....but if they were qualified out of high school they would have signed with colleges at that time. Most JC players are not qualified out of high school and thats the reason most go to JC to become qualified. Tulane continues to shoot itself in the foot, and forces our coaches to try and compete with the big boys with one hand tied behind their back. Am I miss reading this?

COACH FRITZ STATED: 'His staff is recruiting junior college prospects who were academic qualifiers coming out of high school and have transferrable credits.
“Generally speaking, there are not many of those type of guys out there, but there are some,” Fritz said. “We're not going to take a guy just to take a guy. We want to take guys if they are bona fide Division I players. We have to do a great job of recruiting and finding guys that can compete at this level.”

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

posse wrote:Looks like Tulane really hasn't changed their JC admission standards, as we were led to believe. They limit our coaches to recruiting JC players who were academically qualified coming out of high school.....but if they were qualified out of high school they would have signed with colleges at that time. Most JC players are not qualified out of high school and thats the reason most go to JC to become qualified. Tulane continues to shoot itself in the foot, and forces our coaches to try and compete with the big boys with one hand tied behind their back. Am I miss reading this?

COACH FRITZ STATED: 'His staff is recruiting junior college prospects who were academic qualifiers coming out of high school and have transferrable credits.
“Generally speaking, there are not many of those type of guys out there, but there are some,” Fritz said. “We're not going to take a guy just to take a guy. We want to take guys if they are bona fide Division I players. We have to do a great job of recruiting and finding guys that can compete at this level.”
We can't sign the sign guys Houston, Memphis, UCF and others can and "it is what it is". That's always why coaches here are starting at a disadvantage and many potential coaches don't want that difficult challenge. It's a policy for athletic failure. Tulane is a difficult place to win at and most coaches in the business know this and Fritz is now finding out first hand. Like I said before in another thread I'm not holding my breath until I see the number of JC's we sign. Like you have nicely stated, it's nothing new here.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
posse wrote:Looks like Tulane really hasn't changed their JC admission standards, as we were led to believe. They limit our coaches to recruiting JC players who were academically qualified coming out of high school.....but if they were qualified out of high school they would have signed with colleges at that time. Most JC players are not qualified out of high school and thats the reason most go to JC to become qualified. Tulane continues to shoot itself in the foot, and forces our coaches to try and compete with the big boys with one hand tied behind their back. Am I miss reading this?

We can't sign the sign guys Houston, Memphis, UCF and others can and "it is what it is". That's always why coaches here are starting at a disadvantage and many potential coaches don't want that difficult challenge. It's a policy for athletic failure. Tulane is a difficult place to win at and most coaches in the business know this and Fritz is now finding out first hand. Like I said before in another thread I'm not holding my breath until I see the number of JC's we sign. Like you have nicely stated, it's nothing new here.
I'd really like to know how Tulsa and SMU handle their entrance requirements. I mean Tulsa has less than half the undergrad population as Tulane but actually competes in the two majors.
OUG
Riptide

You know, you'll never get players of that profile to be able to transfer credits because the welding (or whatever) classes they took don't have equivalents at Tulane. They're also not prepared for a degree program at Tulane, and would be ineligible after one semester of coursework.

Tulane is NOT the only school that has this issue. Pretty much none of our academic peers take these kids, and pretty much all of them are good at football. We've covered this in other threads.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:

You know, you'll never get players of that profile to be able to transfer credits because the welding (or whatever) classes they took don't have equivalents at Tulane. They're also not prepared for a degree program at Tulane, and would be ineligible after one semester of coursework.

Tulane is NOT the only school that has this issue. Pretty much none of our academic peers take these kids, and pretty much all of them are good at football. We've covered this in other threads.
Not sure I agree with all of that. But I am sure that our policies put out coaches at a disadvantage compared to those we need to compete with in the AAC.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:

I would just like some confirmation that all other academic peers do the same.

Generally I find the policy hurtful to Tu and borderline immoral.
OUG
Riptide

Schools don't issue statements on these policies you can easily link to, but feel free to look at their rosters. Look into the JC guys on those rosters and their backgrounds. Talk to their fans.

By the way, immoral? Immoral not to give a scholarship to a kid who couldn't qualify out of HS academically, and doesn't have transfer credits for equivalent courses at Tulane? We are supposed to... what? Take him as a transfer and insert him in year three of a degree track when he doesn't have the pre-reqs for year one? Then what happens when he plays one semester of spring football and we have to send him packing? you can cut immoral a lot of different ways. This has nothing to do with morality.

I'm all for junior college transfers who meet NCAA minimum requirements and have taken college level courses at their JCs. We have and are continuing to do that. I'd much rather focus our attention on how we keep our HS recruits academically eligible in four year degree programs, which is difficult enough.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:Schools don't issue statements on these policies you can easily link to, but feel free to look at their rosters. Look into the JC guys on those rosters and their backgrounds. Talk to their fans.

By the way, immoral? Immoral not to give a scholarship to a kid who couldn't qualify out of HS academically, and doesn't have transfer credits for equivalent courses at Tulane? We are supposed to... what? Take him as a transfer and insert him in year three of a degree track when he doesn't have the pre-reqs for year one? Then what happens when he plays one semester of spring football and we have to send him packing? you can cut immoral a lot of different ways. This has nothing to do with morality.

I'm all for junior college transfers who meet NCAA minimum requirements and have taken college level courses at their JCs. We have and are continuing to do that. I'd much rather focus our attention on how we keep our HS recruits academically eligible in four year degree programs, which is difficult enough.
Many of these students suffer because they were academically ruined by inferior schools, politicians and teachers. Some (and I by no means mean all) go to JUCO and flourish. To not look at the players academic growth is insane, to not look at each case individually and just have this blanket policy is archaic. Many JUCO students come out equally or even more prepared than other 1st or 2nd year college students.

If they flunk out, then fine as many students leave due to academic failure, athlete or not. What if they graduate and use the opportunity to change their own life and the lives of their family moving forward? Should that be considered in the equation.

Nevermind the fact that we had a previous school president who constantly railed about the inequities in our inner city/rural schools (even started his own institute), yet held a policy where his own university couldn't help change the lives of those who work to overcome said inequities, those instances may not be immoral but it is certainly hypocritical. Our current admin makes sure to discuss TU's community involvement, well nothing changes a community faster than having citizens who contribute to society after earning a degree.
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
OUG wrote:Schools don't issue statements on these policies you can easily link to, but feel free to look at their rosters. Look into the JC guys on those rosters and their backgrounds. Talk to their fans.

Many of these students suffer because they were academically ruined by inferior schools, politicians and teachers. Some (and I by no means mean all) go to JUCO and flourish. To not look at the players academic growth is insane, to not look at each case individually and just have this blanket policy is archaic. Many JUCO students come out equally or even more prepared than other 1st or 2nd year college students.

If they flunk out, then fine as many students leave due to academic failure, athlete or not. What if they graduate and use the opportunity to change their own life and the lives of their family moving forward? Should that be considered in the equation.

Nevermind the fact that we had a previous school president who constantly railed about the inequities in our inner city/rural schools (even started his own institute), yet held a policy where his own university couldn't help change the lives of those who work to overcome said inequities, those instances may not be immoral but it is certainly hypocritical. Our current admin makes sure to discuss TU's community involvement, well nothing changes a community faster than having citizens who contribute to society after earning a degree.
I think we should expand educational opportunities to people at every level of the academic pyramid.

But that does not mean you take a transfer into the junior class at Tulane of someone who has never gotten a qualifying test score, whose math coursework consists of remedial alegebra, and you just pretend he took college-level calculus so he can play football. You're clouding the issue here. Tulane already has a roster full of football players meeting minimum NCAA requirements that have been given a chance to get a great education that they wouldn't have without football. The snobbery argument does not apply here.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

I think we should expand educational opportunities to people at every level of the academic pyramid.

But that does not mean you take a transfer into the junior class at Tulane of someone who has never gotten a qualifying test score, whose math coursework consists of remedial alegebra, and you just pretend he took college-level calculus so he can play football. You're clouding the issue here. Tulane already has a roster full of football players meeting minimum NCAA requirements that have been given a chance to get a great education that they wouldn't have without football. The snobbery argument does not apply here.
So there are zero JUCO FBall and/or Bball players who, after 1 to 2 years at their JUCO school, have improved their academics to a point where they now are qualified to attend a university? I mean the whole freaking point of a JUCO is to focus more on academics to improve as a student. Said student should be judged on where they are currently not where they were two years ago.

I mean hell, many students go to lesser universities because they didn't focus in high school and then they turn over a new leaf and end up graduating from amazing schools. Same thing applies to JUCOs IMHO. Setting a blanket policy that no JUCO student (who did not qualify as a 17-18 year old out of high school) can be accepted to the great Tulane University, is just flat out lazy.
posse
High Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

So there are zero JUCO FBall and/or Bball players who, after 1 to 2 years at their JUCO school, have improved their academics to a point where they now are qualified to attend a university? I mean the whole freaking point of a JUCO is to focus more on academics to improve as a student. Said student should be judged on where they are currently not where they were two years ago.

I mean hell, many students go to lesser universities because they didn't focus in high school and then they turn over a new leaf and end up graduating from amazing schools. Same thing applies to JUCOs IMHO. Setting a blanket policy that no JUCO student (who did not qualify as a 17-18 year old out of high school) can be accepted to the great Tulane University, is just flat out lazy.
+1 I could not have said it any better.......My question on JUCO requirement is WHY? WHY DO WE SELF IMPOSE THIS ON OURSELVES when we are trying to
become relevant again? It makes no sense to me...
Pepper
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
OUG wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Truer words have never been spoken!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Years back Tricky Rick Dickson said we were joined at the hip with TCU. Then everything the Administration did proved we were not.

I think there's a great example of how to lift ourselves out of the Athletics Wasteland with our conference mate, Temple. Temple had a football team with a recent history as bad as ours. It's a private school in a big (NFL) city. When they hired Rhule, we hired CJ, and while we were building a boutique stadium, they were trying to move on campus (and fighting their own NIMBY wars.) While they're still trying to get an OCS, they gave Rhule what he needed to succeed. They have a (smaller, but functional) IPF, great football practice and administrative facilities that recently had a $10 million expansion/renovation, and committed to winning. Look what they've done since that time. And it was NOT a one or two year turn around.

Let's eliminate all roadblocks to success. Give Coach Fritz and Dunleavy the ability to recruit to NCAA standards, assuming the athlete has an interest in a degree program that he's capable of completing.

Tulane's Mission Statement:
Tulane's purpose is to create, communicate and conserve knowledge in order to enrich the capacity of individuals, organizations and communities to think, to learn and to act and lead with integrity and wisdom.

Tulane pursues this mission by cultivating an environment that focuses on learning and the generation of new knowledge; by expecting and rewarding teaching and research of extraordinarily high quality and impact; and by fostering community-building initiatives as well as scientific, cultural and social understanding that integrate with and strengthen learning and research. This mission is pursued in the context of the unique qualities of our location in New Orleans and our continual aspiration to be a truly distinctive international university.
I think the Administration would be well served by focusing on ways to allow more than the privileged few that can score a certain score on the ACT or SAT to gain entrance. There are many ways, discussed in other threads and forums, to affect young men and women of limited means and substandard academic credentials. Give them teaching and leadership skills and you're now affecting a community. This, in my humble opinion, would have greater lasting effects on the New Orleans and National communities than any number of student-generated community service hours.

This doesn't mean that we should recruit any Johnny Athlete that has a hard time putting his name on the paper. It means if we find those that only meet minimum NCAA standards, but have an interest in degree programs we offer, we sell them on the value of the degree as part of the academic buy-in process. It will work if the athlete buys into the student half of the student/athlete equation. Those that have no interest are not going to make it, and have a negative affect on the program and the University on multiple levels. When the student/athlete arrives, he (or she) should enjoy facilities that are on par with the top programs in our conference. The commitment to winning needs to come from our President, and not only infect the Athletics Department, but the entire University.

Until that happens, it will be the same old same ole.

And one final observation: It seems that Barbara Burke leaving has lowered the bar for the "fan experience". This needs to be fixed immediately or our marketing efforts will be in vain.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That is a long rehash of what many here have posted in various threads over the years. As I have always said Tulane wants to brag about the graduation rate of it's student-athletes but if you are only taking in good students that's nothing to brag about. Take in lesser qualified ones and teach them up and help them graduate then you'll really have something to brag about.

BTW, Temple is a public university.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote:Years back Tricky Rick Dickson said we were joined at the hip with TCU. Then everything the Administration did proved we were not.

I think there's a great example of how to lift ourselves out of the Athletics Wasteland with our conference mate, Temple. Temple had a football team with a recent history as bad as ours. It's a private school in a big (NFL) city. When they hired Rhule, we hired CJ, and while we were building a boutique stadium, they were trying to move on campus (and fighting their own NIMBY wars.) While they're still trying to get an OCS, they gave Rhule what he needed to succeed. They have a (smaller, but functional) IPF, great football practice and administrative facilities that recently had a $10 million expansion/renovation, and committed to winning. Look what they've done since that time. And it was NOT a one or two year turn around.

Let's eliminate all roadblocks to success. Give Coach Fritz and Dunleavy the ability to recruit to NCAA standards, assuming the athlete has an interest in a degree program that he's capable of completing.

Tulane's purpose is to create, communicate and conserve knowledge in order to enrich the capacity of individuals, organizations and communities to think, to learn and to act and lead with integrity and wisdom.

Tulane pursues this mission by cultivating an environment that focuses on learning and the generation of new knowledge; by expecting and rewarding teaching and research of extraordinarily high quality and impact; and by fostering community-building initiatives as well as scientific, cultural and social understanding that integrate with and strengthen learning and research. This mission is pursued in the context of the unique qualities of our location in New Orleans and our continual aspiration to be a truly distinctive international university.
I think the Administration would be well served by focusing on ways to allow more than the privileged few that can score a certain score on the ACT or SAT to gain entrance. There are many ways, discussed in other threads and forums, to affect young men and women of limited means and substandard academic credentials. Give them teaching and leadership skills and you're now affecting a community. This, in my humble opinion, would have greater lasting effects on the New Orleans and National communities than any number of student-generated community service hours.

This doesn't mean that we should recruit any Johnny Athlete that has a hard time putting his name on the paper. It means if we find those that only meet minimum NCAA standards, but have an interest in degree programs we offer, we sell them on the value of the degree as part of the academic buy-in process. It will work if the athlete buys into the student half of the student/athlete equation. Those that have no interest are not going to make it, and have a negative affect on the program and the University on multiple levels. When the student/athlete arrives, he (or she) should enjoy facilities that are on par with the top programs in our conference. The commitment to winning needs to come from our President, and not only infect the Athletics Department, but the entire University.

And one final observation: It seems that Barbara Burke leaving has lowered the bar for the "fan experience". This needs to be fixed immediately or our marketing efforts will be in vain.
"Pay" Football & Basketball players with tuition vouchers that can be redeemed or transferred at the players discretion. The only requirement for academic attendance should be remedial coursework where necessary so that each entering player is brought up to a sufficient competence level. We can recruit semi-literates and in five years turn out a bright shiny high school graduate. The decision to attend the school where they played, or not, can be made after their playing days are over. Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, Tulane & Duke would have marvelously entertaining football & basketball while providing true opportunity for economic or academic gain.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: "Pay" Football & Basketball players with tuition vouchers that can be redeemed or transferred at the players discretion. The only requirement for academic attendance should be remedial coursework where necessary so that each entering player is brought up to a sufficient competence level. We can recruit semi-literates and in five years turn out a bright shiny high school graduate. The decision to attend the school where they played, or not, can be made after their playing days are over. Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, Tulane & Duke would have marvelously entertaining football & basketball while providing true opportunity for economic or academic gain.
The problem is that the NC2A requires these "student/athletes" to be working towards a degree. To be in a program that grants a certificate of attendance, or a HS GED doesn't cut it in the almighty eyes of the NCAA.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Years back Tricky Rick Dickson said we were joined at the hip with TCU. Then everything the Administration did proved we were not.

Temple is not a private school...it is a State funded University and has been for several years
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:

Temple is not a private school...it is a State funded University and has been for several years
My bad. You learn something new here on GoTula.net every day! Thanks, Woody!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

For further clarification on Temple - Temple is given funding from the state in exchange for tuition discounts for instate students but it is run privately, and, because of that, it is neither a public university nor a private university in the traditional sense. However, since it is run privately under its own charter, governed by its own board of trustees with a minority representation from the state, and has it's own assets under its own control, it is legally a private entity. D is correct in the legal sense.

(this is also true of Pitt and Penn State)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwea ... ion#Temple
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:For further clarification on Temple - Temple is given funding from the state in exchange for tuition discounts for instate students but it is run privately, and, because of that, it is neither a public university nor a private university in the traditional sense. However, since it is run privately under its own charter, governed by its own board of trustees with a minority representation from the state, and has it's own assets under its own control, it is legally a private entity. D is correct in the legal sense.

I am not sure the last time wikipedia was update...but on the Temple website it clearly states PUBLIC-State Related University
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 3G4n1AF60Q
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:For further clarification on Temple - Temple is given funding from the state in exchange for tuition discounts for instate students but it is run privately, and, because of that, it is neither a public university nor a private university in the traditional sense. However, since it is run privately under its own charter, governed by its own board of trustees with a minority representation from the state, and has it's own assets under its own control, it is legally a private entity. D is correct in the legal sense.

I am not sure the last time wikipedia was update...but on the Temple website it clearly states PUBLIC-State Related University
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 3G4n1AF60Q
Both are correct. The official designation is "State-Related", but it's legally a private entity even if it is described as a public university by third parties. It's certainly odd, but it allows the state do not have to build up its own elite public schools by supporting good private schools in exchange for those private schools giving tuition discounts to in-state students. If Louisiana actually cared about high education, this would be a neat model for Tulane to have in regard to the instate students since it could charge instate students less in tuition in exchange for more money from the state.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Getting back on Tulane (topic) let's address another point: Fans "gameday experience" has gone down since Barbara Burke left. We need Troy Dannen to address this immediately. A good start would be to hire someone with serious ambitions to take over Burke's roll. If he/she gets hired away for doing a good job, great. If Dannen gets hired away, that person has an opportunity to interview for the AD job. It needs to be someone capable of running day-to-day operations (and fix problems with the fan experience) as Burke did.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Getting back on Tulane (topic) let's address another point: Fans "gameday experience" has gone down since Barbara Burke left. We need Troy Dannen to address this immediately. A good start would be to hire someone with serious ambitions to take over Burke's roll. If he/she gets hired away for doing a good job, great. If Dannen gets hired away, that person has an opportunity to interview for the AD job. It needs to be someone capable of running day-to-day operations (and fix problems with the fan experience) as Burke did.
That person has been hired and her name is Monica Lebron.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Getting back on Tulane (topic) let's address another point: Fans "gameday experience" has gone down since Barbara Burke left. We need Troy Dannen to address this immediately. A good start would be to hire someone with serious ambitions to take over Burke's roll. If he/she gets hired away for doing a good job, great. If Dannen gets hired away, that person has an opportunity to interview for the AD job. It needs to be someone capable of running day-to-day operations (and fix problems with the fan experience) as Burke did.
That person has been hired and her name is Monica Lebron.
Except she's fundraising. Not sure who's doing day to day operations.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

She has multiple roles and one includes gameday operations. She was very interested in the feedback on the problems in that area.