Andy Cannizaro

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Jewitt was a solid hire. Least of our complaints.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Meanwhile
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Meanwhile
Dannen fucked up. He owns this.

Agree with those who said this was an ego trip. Hiring Cannizaro or Riser was too obvious. He got cute, had to take a guy who was 100% his pick. Like one of those guys you know who never thinks an idea is good unless he came up with it himself.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote:
Dannen f**ked up. He owns this.

Agree with those who said this was an ego trip. Hiring Cannizaro or Riser was too obvious. He got cute, had to take a guy who was 100% his pick. Like one of those guys you know who never thinks an idea is good unless he came up with it himself.
I think thats a bit unfair. So far it looks bad but on paper it did make sense. Pierce had mentioned the obstacles in place for pricey academic oriented private schools like Tulane, that may have caught TDs attention too much. I think TD got enamored with the idea of hiring the top assistant/recruiter for what has been the best academically oriented private baseball program ober the last few years. Perhaps he made that choice without really considering the baseball side of things. Or just doesn't understand major college baseball.
Maybe a booster will step up if this thing really goes south, but i just don't see an AD firing a guy he just hired especially with Jewetts resume. I also don't see TU paying the buyout, hence the need for a big time booster to step in.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

I think that a bit unfair. So far it looks bad but on paper it did make sense. Pierce had mentioned the obstacles in place for pricey academic oriented private schools like Tulane, that may have caught TD attention too much. I think TD got enamored with the idea of hiring the top assistant/recruiter for what has been the best academically oriented private baseball program the last few years. Perhaps he made that choice without really considering the baseball side of things.
Maybe a booster will step up if this thing really goes south, but i just don't see an AD firing a guy he just hired especially with Jewetts resume. I also don't see TU paying the buyout hence the need for a big time booster to step in.
If a booster steps up they won't be firing Jeweett, they'll be firing troy dannen. His ego will cost him his job, and his decision making and incompetence. Blew the Rick jones hall of fame honoring, plus many more. He didn't ackowledge Rick jones because he knows jones is more popular and powerful than he is. He doesn't acknowledge any sport but mens basketball or 4-8 football. He has zero leadership. He has to beg people to work for his department.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I love all the arm chair psychiatrists that diagnose Dannen as a man on an ego trip without ever sitting down with him. Yeah, they can see right into his head and understand his motivation.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bearwave
High Tide

He has been alienating long time Tulane fans and employees since day one. The way he treated Sue Bower who bleeds Green and Blue was deplorable. I honestly don't see him lasting real long here.....of course Dickson did so who really knows. At Tulane, the song remains the same.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bearwave wrote:He has been alienating long time Tulane fans and employees since day one. The way he treated Sue Bower who bleeds Green and Blue was deplorable. I honestly don't see him lasting real long here.....of course Dickson did so who really knows. At Tulane, the song remains the same.
RD lasted because he became SC puppet... I agree with you on the Sue Bower situation and I also do not see TD being here for the long term.. I wanted AC or Riser to be named and I do not agree with Jewett on making the clubhouse and outhouse ...Tulane, because of the contracts, and not having any money are stuck with all of the Coach's in the major sports for at least another three years... who knows thy may all turn out to be the next Knute Rockne, John Wooden, and who ever was a successful college baseball coach...so for the next 3 years keep sending in your money and buying those Season Tickets !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

I think thats a bit unfair. So far it looks bad but on paper it did make sense. Pierce had mentioned the obstacles in place for pricey academic oriented private schools like Tulane, that may have caught TDs attention too much. I think TD got enamored with the idea of hiring the top assistant/recruiter for what has been the best academically oriented private baseball program ober the last few years. Perhaps he made that choice without really considering the baseball side of things. Or just doesn't understand major college baseball.
Maybe a booster will step up if this thing really goes south, but i just don't see an AD firing a guy he just hired especially with Jewetts resume. I also don't see TU paying the buyout, hence the need for a big time booster to step in.
As I recall it, both Cannizaro and Riser made the fatal mistake of asking about resource commitments during their interviews with TD.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

HoustonWave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

As I recall it, both Cannizaro and Riser made the fatal mistake of asking about resource commitments during their interviews with TD.
I would've done the same....I would not have taken the job if i didnt think i had everyhthing i needed to be successful. They asked for it, because its needed to be where we want to be. They know what we have and what others have they are competing with, its there job to recruit and know. that is not why cannizaro didnt get the job, that was the excuse....the real reason was that he would have more power and support among the alumns than the AD himself.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Yes I do remember that rumor. (Applying my tinfoil hat) I think TD was feeling the budget crunch with ticket sales and donations continuing to plummet all while he was getting more money for budgets and coaches yet producing the same results. The stadium was losing money, hence the horrific issues with concessions etc. only furthering the squeeze. He reacted with budgets in mind and not baseball, Jewett gave him the out that he knew how to make it work because he had done so at Vandy. In TD's mind, FBall and Bball matter 1000% more than baseball, which is generally correct. It the typical TU cut of your nose to spite your face. You have to spend to build. (Removes the hat).
Show Me
Tsunami

Time to put this thread to bed. And yes Andy ain't never backtracking to Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Andy has lost 7 pitchers due to injury so far this season. A bunch needed Tommy John surgery.
That's some tough cards to be dealt.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MIss St baseball won last 6 SEC games in a row. 6-3 in conf & 19-10 overall. Nice turnaround for Andy. Has their RPI all the way up to #21 after a road weekend sweep at arch rival Ole Miss. LSU hitters really feeling his loss about now.
Tulane Class of 1981
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Profoundwizard wrote:

Yes I do remember that rumor. (Applying my tinfoil hat) I think TD was feeling the budget crunch with ticket sales and donations continuing to plummet all while he was getting more money for budgets and coaches yet producing the same results. The stadium was losing money, hence the horrific issues with concessions etc. only furthering the squeeze. He reacted with budgets in mind and not baseball, Jewett gave him the out that he knew how to make it work because he had done so at Vandy. In TD's mind, FBall and Bball matter 1000% more than baseball, which is generally correct. It the typical TU cut of your nose to spite your face. You have to spend to build. (Removes the hat).
basketball does not matter more than baseball in the south. Baseball matters more and should be treated as such. I know our AD came from Iowa or indianna and its different up there, but he needs to get with program down here because he isnt up there anymore. LSU, MSU, Ole MIss, Southern Miss, ULL, tulane, and many many more, all of these school outdraw basketball by far and dump more money into baseball than basketball and there athletic departments treat it as such.
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:MIss St baseball won last 6 SEC games in a row. 6-3 in conf & 19-10 overall. Nice turnaround for Andy. Has their RPI all the way up to #21 after a road weekend sweep at arch rival Ole Miss. LSU hitters really feeling his loss about now.
Riser has Southeastern playing well also. They are 18-10 and have an RPI of 37. Looks like both are living up to their credentials. Dannen's choice lagging the field.
McWave
High Tide

[quote][/quote]

The one thing all those basketball programs have is common......they lose a lot of games. The one thing all those baseball programs have in common....the win a lot of games. Flip the wins and losses an the interest will also slip. There is more $$$$ upside for basketball than baseball. Which has nothing to do with Andy C. I wish him the best. But don't follow MSU baseball.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote:
basketball does not matter more than baseball in the south. Baseball matters more and should be treated as such. I know our AD came from Iowa or indianna and its different up there, but he needs to get with program down here because he isnt up there anymore. LSU, MSU, Ole MIss, Southern Miss, ULL, tulane, and many many more, all of these school outdraw basketball by far and dump more money into baseball than basketball and there athletic departments treat it as such.
This might be another top 10 ridiculous statement. I'm throwing the BS flag on this one!

Last I checked, college Basketball DWARFED college baseball in the states of NC, SC, GA, FL, KY, TN, and probably FL as well. Florida Gulf Coast University built a gym for the basketball team BEFORE they built an academic building! The teams you mention have been good in baseball and lousy (for the most part) in basketball for most of this century. That can change and quickly. With Alabama basketball on the upswing (and watch out for the Tide next winter, as the SEC pushes LSU further down the totem pole) you will probably be able to add AL to the list. And any school putting more $$ into baseball than basketball (which I REALLY question) is throwing away money. Very few sports fans follow college baseball nationally compared to basketball, and there's at least 10 if not 20x more TV money AND VIEWERS for college basketball than college baseball. Very few people nationally and even in the South will sit through an entire college baseball game. I bet there were years in the 80's-early 2000s that LaTech WOMENS basketball outdrew their baseball team. Look at how quickly Tulane's baseball attendance (actual) has fallen off the table. The empty seats at Turchin are quickly catching up to those at Devlin.
BC Wave
Swell

To be fair, there were probably years that La Tech women's basketball outdrew their football team!
tufinal4
High Tide

I get the point about attendance in baseball rivaling that of basketball at a lot of places, the ticket revenue is dwarfed by the money associated with making the NCAA basketball tourney. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a unit was earned, good for 6 years, for each game played in the tourney. Revenue per unit is $1.6 million per year, again good for 6 years, for a total of $9.6 million. If you win a game, that doubles. If you win two, it triples. And that is just for one appearance in the tourney. Baseball's TV money is essentially zero.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tufinal4 wrote:I get the point about attendance in baseball rivaling that of basketball at a lot of places, the ticket revenue is dwarfed by the money associated with making the NCAA basketball tourney. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a unit was earned, good for 6 years, for each game played in the tourney. Revenue per unit is $1.6 million per year, again good for 6 years, for a total of $9.6 million. If you win a game, that doubles. If you win two, it triples. And that is just for one appearance in the tourney. Baseball's TV money is essentially zero.
So, in theory, making the Elite 8 three years in a row would have (for the three years of overlap) a windfall of $86.4 million/year. That's enough to motivate a University to do a whole lot to make sure the teams have the means and opportunity to succeed. Even if they have to share it with their conference mates, they still are making a whole lot of money for the University/Universities. That's above and beyond whatever TV money they're getting.
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
tufinal4 wrote:I get the point about attendance in baseball rivaling that of basketball at a lot of places, the ticket revenue is dwarfed by the money associated with making the NCAA basketball tourney. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a unit was earned, good for 6 years, for each game played in the tourney. Revenue per unit is $1.6 million per year, again good for 6 years, for a total of $9.6 million. If you win a game, that doubles. If you win two, it triples. And that is just for one appearance in the tourney. Baseball's TV money is essentially zero.
So, in theory, making the Elite 8 three years in a row would have (for the three years of overlap) a windfall of $86.4 million/year. That's enough to motivate a University to do a whole lot to make sure the teams have the means and opportunity to succeed. Even if they have to share it with their conference mates, they still are making a whole lot of money for the University/Universities. That's above and beyond whatever TV money they're getting.
That money usually goes to the conference, not the individual school. It then gets divvied up.

Here's a decent article about it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/
God Bless Everyone!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

As a side note, a unit is worth $1.67M total, and that total is spread across six years (i.e. $260k a year for 6 years).
Show Me
Tsunami

Meanwhile the alum that everyone wanted...
http://www.hailstate.com/boxscore.aspx? ... h=baseball
sader24
Tsunami

Please don't remind me how stupid we are.