Early Signing Dates for Football

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The football oversight committee has recommended that there be two early signing dates in addition to the traditional one. One would be in June so players could sign before their Senior years and one in December when JC players have always been allowed to sign. I hope this passes.

They also recommended allowing 10 assistant coaches in football instead of 9 and also to put limits on satellite camps.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'd be willing to trade off on satellite camps in exchange for early signing dates, as long as the signing is still binding. It could probably help schools like us. You get a player like Stephon Huderson, for example, that's still under the radar for most P5 schools. He seems a firm commit, but you never know. If we could have gotten his signature in August, it wouldn't matter how good his senior year was, we'd already have him.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:I'd be willing to trade off on satellite camps in exchange for early signing dates, as long as the signing is still binding. It could probably help schools like us. You get a player like Stephon Huderson, for example, that's still under the radar for most P5 schools. He seems a firm commit, but you never know. If we could have gotten his signature in August, it wouldn't matter how good his senior year was, we'd already have him.
Might be good for TU but I am not sure it is very moral to the student-athlete. If a kid wants to go elsewhere, let him they are not our property once they sign. They should have the right to change their mind just like any other student or person. Just my two cents.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:Might be good for TU but I am not sure it is very moral to the student-athlete. If a kid wants to go elsewhere, let him they are not our property once they sign. They should have the right to change their mind just like any other student or person. Just my two cents.
I don't know about it not being fair. When recruits sign on the regular signing day in February, they are committed to the school and will forgo a scholarship for their first year if they choose to attend a different school than the signed with and the school they signed with doesn't give them a full release. If there is an early signing day, the same requirement could apply to the early signing day that current applies to the current regular signing day. Honestly, the June signing day may even benefit the student athlete in the sense that they are covered for at least their first year in case they are injured or perform at a lower level their senior year - we all know several programs will pull offers if a recruit is injured or doesn't perform as well their senior year, and the early signing day would help prevent that.
TU23
High Tide

This would work just like basketball/baseball/volleyball/softball....all of those sports sign before their senior seasons. One thing that you'll see is teams being less willing to allow certain "commits" to sign early. In that regard, it will help the recruit determine how much a school really wants them.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Might be good for TU but I am not sure it is very moral to the student-athlete. If a kid wants to go elsewhere, let him they are not our property once they sign. They should have the right to change their mind just like any other student or person. Just my two cents.
I don't know about it not being fair. When recruits sign on the regular signing day in February, they are committed to the school and will forgo a scholarship for their first year if they choose to attend a different school than the signed with and the school they signed with doesn't give them a full release. If there is an early signing day, the same requirement could apply to the early signing day that current applies to the current regular signing day. Honestly, the June signing day may even benefit the student athlete in the sense that they are covered for at least their first year in case they are injured or perform at a lower level their senior year - we all know several programs will pull offers if a recruit is injured or doesn't perform as well their senior year, and the early signing day would help prevent that.

I'd like confirmation that the school guarantees the scholly once signed.

Look I just think the school benefit far more than the student athlete. Many of these kids have no business being in college and leave with nothing but memories.

Also if a kid has a great season after signing early then gets attention from better programs where he preferred, you want him still coming to your school even though his heart is elsewhere.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

I'd like confirmation that the school guarantees the scholly once signed.

Look I just think the school benefit far more than the student athlete. Many of these kids have no business being in college and leave with nothing but memories.

Also if a kid has a great season after signing early then gets attention from better programs where he preferred, you want him still coming to your school even though his heart is elsewhere.
Lets see...what if the kid signs prior to their senior year and stinks up the place...the school is still on the hook to take them...it works both ways
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:I'd like confirmation that the school guarantees the scholly once signed.

Unless something has changed, schools have to honor it for regular signing days and it shouldn't be different for an early signing day - I agree that this should be confirmed, but early signing days don't make sense if it is not the case. If the recruit is ready commit, he should sign, but, if he isn't, he shouldn't, but, assuming that the scholarship is guaranteed on an early signing day, it has to cut both ways in terms of the recruit trying to up-sell during a good senior season after committing early. Signing early would in theory protect him if he gets injured or performs at a lower level in his senior season, while signing at the regular time would allow him to get better offers if he isn't injured, performs at a higher level, or if a program misses out on their target recruit and are forced to recruit this player instead.

Tulane would benefit from this in the sense that it could snag lower profile players with high potential and get them committed early - as Tulane fans have seen over the last few years, some power programs may offer a Tulane commit a month before the regular signing day and that makes things a lot more complicated for the recruit. This would, in theory, prevent a lot of that.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I think June is too early in the process to have a signing day. How bout early August just as preseason camp is opening, then everyone, coaches and high school seniors can focus on their season. Have a three day window where they could sign. And yes, it should be binding, otherwise, what's the point of signing what amounts to a contract.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 18h18 hours ago
Just spoke with Northwestern AD Jim Phillips, who chairs the D1 council. Said the FBS conferences voted unanimously to move it forward.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 18h18 hours ago
I asked Phillips about kids who sign early at a school where there are later coaching changes. “That will be addressed. It has to be.”
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

It's good for all schools. Nothing worse than having a guy switch last week of signing period. Should actually help a school like Tulane more because it will be able to keep more early commitments now.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If it is on the internet you know it's true

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post ... recruiting
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:I'd like confirmation that the school guarantees the scholly once signed.

Unless something has changed, schools have to honor it for regular signing days and it shouldn't be different for an early signing day - I agree that this should be confirmed, but early signing days don't make sense if it is not the case. If the recruit is ready commit, he should sign, but, if he isn't, he shouldn't, but, assuming that the scholarship is guaranteed on an early signing day, it has to cut both ways in terms of the recruit trying to up-sell during a good senior season after committing early. Signing early would in theory protect him if he gets injured or performs at a lower level in his senior season, while signing at the regular time would allow him to get better offers if he isn't injured, performs at a higher level, or if a program misses out on their target recruit and are forced to recruit this player instead.

Tulane would benefit from this in the sense that it could snag lower profile players with high potential and get them committed early - as Tulane fans have seen over the last few years, some power programs may offer a Tulane commit a month before the regular signing day and that makes things a lot more complicated for the recruit. This would, in theory, prevent a lot of that.
I am pretty sure there are examples of kids signing only to be told later they have to grey shirt, could be wrong.

Since when has the NCAA "made sense"......