Priorities

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
TURVS71
Swell

I would never hurt an animal.....that being said, Tulane will never get the attention it deserves when the LEAD story of the news is a sick animal that has to be put down......To hold a Press Conference about a mascot is just unbelievable. With all of the problems in this City, State and the world, the TOP story is a sick tiger.........I just don't get it.........Ridiculous.....

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Yeah - if it's a New Orleans paper, the lead story should one of: the debate, Aleppo, Hurricane Matthew, the group shooting on Tuesday in New Orleans, the uterus transplant, the Belgian cop stabbings or the Federal Gov contractor arrested for stealing top secret materials.
kookingkajun
Low Tide

It is a big story. In Texas when Bevo died, it was headlines. As far as all of the problems in the country, state, etc. We're debating on which bathroom I can use. That's the problem with us now. If we had an animal as a mascot and had to put it down it would be a different story. Because it's LSU it's a bad thing. Live animals that are used as College mascots have a longer life span than zoos, circus' or in the wild. They have on staff Vets that take care of them and usually at no cost to the school or students. Private funding.
TURVS71
Swell

kookingkajun wrote:It is a big story. In Texas when Bevo died, it was headlines. As far as all of the problems in the country, state, etc. We're debating on which bathroom I can use. That's the problem with us now. If we had an animal as a mascot and had to put it down it would be a different story. Because it's LSU it's a bad thing. Live animals that are used as College mascots have a longer life span than zoos, circus' or in the wild. They have on staff Vets that take care of them and usually at no cost to the school or students. Private funding.
Sorry, not in my book. It has nothing to do with it being LSU it has nothing to do with funding. It's just ridiculous that sometimes we care more about animals in this country then we do about people. Just my opinion doesn't require response
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

kookingkajun wrote:It is a big story. In Texas when Bevo died, it was headlines. As far as all of the problems in the country, state, etc. We're debating on which bathroom I can use. That's the problem with us now. If we had an animal as a mascot and had to put it down it would be a different story. Because it's LSU it's a bad thing. Live animals that are used as College mascots have a longer life span than zoos, circus' or in the wild. They have on staff Vets that take care of them and usually at no cost to the school or students. Private funding.
I live in metro Austin...I no longer receive the "Austin American Statesman" so I cannot comment on the Bevo Headline they may have published, but the local TV stations did a story on Bevo's passing ( FYI..Bevo was owned by a Texas A&M grad) but nothing overboard...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:I would never hurt an animal.....that being said, Tulane will never get the attention it deserves when the LEAD story of the news is a sick animal that has to be put down......To hold a Press Conference about a mascot is just unbelievable. With all of the problems in this City, State and the world, the TOP story is a sick tiger.........I just don't get it.........Ridiculous.....
Lol. Greenie's thinking alike. Just got this text around noon today.
Forget the presidential race, murders in NO or Hurricane Matthew - the lead story on Fox8 news at noon - "Mike the tiger to be euthanized soon."
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

The pettiness on this board never ceases to amaze.
God Bless Everyone!
TURVS71
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:The pettiness on this board never ceases to amaze.
That's why it's in Der Rathskeller!! Duh!!
kookingkajun
Low Tide

TURVS71 wrote:
Sorry, not in my book. It has nothing to do with it being LSU it has nothing to do with funding. It's just ridiculous that sometimes we care more about animals in this country then we do about people. Just my opinion doesn't require response
then why did you respond?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

kookingkajun wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:

People, People, People....to quote that great American, Rodney King..."can't we all just get along" !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
kookingkajun wrote:
TURVS71 wrote:

People, People, People....to quote that great American, Rodney King..."can't we all just get along" !!!!
Not when mascot tigers are dying. Don't you know how important tigers are to the state of Louisiana? I mean, even a truck stop has a live tiger here..
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I'm confused, they do report about all the other problems int he world/city? Are they having in ink shortage? Otherwise, people want to hear about what is going on with everything LSU.

Tulane not getting coverage is almost exclusively Tulane's fault.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:I'm confused, they do report about all the other problems int he world/city? Are they having in ink shortage? Otherwise, people want to hear about what is going on with everything LSU.

+1

LSU probably has 100 if not 1000 times more fans than Tulane. They want to read about Mike the Tiger. The newspaper and tv stations need to give their readers/watchers what they want. It sells. That's why it's getting headline coverage. If we had not been our own worst enemy for the last 50-60 years, we'd have a larger fan base and get the coverage that fan base commands.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:I'm confused, they do report about all the other problems int he world/city? Are they having in ink shortage? Otherwise, people want to hear about what is going on with everything LSU.

+1

LSU probably has 100 if not 1000 times more fans than Tulane. They want to read about Mike the Tiger. The newspaper and tv stations need to give their readers/watchers what they want. It sells. That's why it's getting headline coverage. If we had not been our own worst enemy for the last 50-60 years, we'd have a larger fan base and get the coverage that fan base commands.
Realistically, in Metropolitan New Orleans they out number us about 10 to 1.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

+1

Realistically, in Metropolitan New Orleans they out number us about 10 to 1.
I remember a conversation with one of my former Coach's, who played at Tulane...we were speaking of fund raising for a baseball scoreboard and I said we will just get one of the rich donors to give us a million dollars...he looked at me and replied, would you rather have one person give you a million, or a million people give one dollar each ?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Realistically, in Metropolitan New Orleans they out number us about 10 to 1.
How about throughout the state? I'd be shocked if 1 in 10 rooted for Tulane. Wouldn't surprise me at all if 1 in 1000 is closer to the real number.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:The pettiness on this board never ceases to amaze.
I'd be remiss in not pointing out that you make pettiness your calling card on this forum. But yes, very true.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Who cares what the LSU:Tulane ratio is right now. It is what it should be. They have had more than 10X the success we've had, so it makes sense they'd have 10X the interest.

I saw this in a Tweet the other day regarding Bay area sports. 20 years ago, the 49ers (under Eddie Debartolo) were a dynasty, and the Warriors (under Chris Cohan) were a joke. Both franchises have changed ownership and they have essentially flipped the script.

When I first moved to SF, one of my Tulane fraternity brothers was from here and his father's business had Warriors season tickets to give to clients. They couldn't give those tickets away, so my fraternity brother and I got them a bunch and we went to watch terrible basketball in a half empty arena.

Now you can't give away 49ers tickets and Warriors tickets are through the roof expensive and in demand. This equation isn't complicated. We now have Fitts and Dannen in charge, which means we have flipped the script. The question is whether or how long it will take them to overcome the damage done by Cowen/Dickson.
Show Me
Tsunami

The big talk now is that it's very unlikely they get another live Tiger because of the liberal left animal rights activists.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I have long said the lack of media coverage is Tulane's fault. Will Guillory has been having a Tulane chat every Thursday at noon on NOLA.com since the start of the season. He had one today that he ended after 30 minutes and no questions.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.