Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
lurker123
Swell

Good conversation with all today. Thanks. Glad we've kept it lowkey and impersonal. We're all concerned Tulane fans. This should be fun.

But Winwave, what's with the "Yogie" stuff? Sorry I don't get the offhand dis here but maybe I'm just slow. (OK. I saw the most recent post. My brain has been cleansed. Oh well. Most of my friends probably are grateful for that. :) )

JJ, I agree absolutely that Dome provides much more theoretical upside for revenue. However Dannen has been emphatic that it does not give us a potential home field/court advantage like Yulman and Devlin theoretically do when they are full. Let's sell them out and see if Dannen is right that the potential tradeoff is worth it.

Meanwhile let's not be confused. It's Tulane's lack of a winning record that is our weakest aspect of our resume to apply for P5 status not our facilities nor financials. Let's fix that now (which is why I'm absolutely for upgrading weight room and every other facility now that impacts improving our sports performance on the field.)

Finally for those who think De La Salle analogy is not exactly on point (and folks its facilities are incredibly modest including the weight room), we're back to the same old "Facilities matter until they don't" discussion that has generated a 200+ page thread here. Northern California is perhaps the richest exurb in the U.S. DLS could easily afford and build a Taj Mahal (like some of the Texas HS's do) if it chose. Yet they do not and still succeed at an unimaginable level to the extent that even Hollywood makes movies about it.

Perhaps we just agree the facility thing has been aired enough. Up to you folks.

JerseyWave
Riptide

When Tulane Stadium was in its heyday, the quality of facilities was not an issue when it came to recruiting. No one had an IPF or fancy bells and whistles. The facilities arms race really got started with the advent of the BCS in the late 1990s. Since then, the power conference schools keep trying to out do each other and the non power conference schools are struggling to keep up. Size matters for stadiums and weight rooms.

I saw the photos of the renovated locker room and team meeting room and it has to be a stop gap because it isn't even close to today's standard for major college football. Tulane's first priority should be a Football operations building complete with NFL caliber locker room, theater style meeting room and recruit lounge. If Fritz wants an IPF, then that should be #2. #3 should be a new on campus basketball arena. #4, expanded Yulman Stadium, #5, Olympic Sports and so on.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Can you imagine the 300+# OL trying to sit and get dressed with those tiny lockers. Come on. I really hope that is a picture of the old locker room.
Just like the planes, buses and cars these larger folk have to use as well.

Come on Lurker, that's a poor comparison. We control the locker room setup but have no control over how planes and buses are designed.

That's bush league posting, sorry.
We just disagree whether it's major league or Class D ball. Quick question: The recent TA&M locker room renovation included embedded TVs in the bathroom and shower mirrors. (I'm not kidding.) Should Tulane have done the same?

Do you think all athletes should have single dorm rooms? These are larger gents and currently at most (all?) colleges in the country the football players double up like regular students. They spend 6x as much time in their dorm rooms as the locker rooms. What's the major league or Class D ball view of that?

Sorry I just don't get the continued self abuse theme that seems to run around here.
Oh come on man. It's about putting together a presentation to recruits that is on par with our peers (or better). Then providing an atmosphere for the student athletes to thrive. Also, they do in fact spend a ton of time around the facility. I played nothing D1 baseball in the northeast and we spent an inordinate amount of time around the stadium.

Ya, many live in dorms but many live off campus, that's irrelevant to this discussion. The big time programs actually have athlete dorms that are amazing btw. You or I may not like the situation but its the reality of major billion dollar college sports. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!

It's not self abuse it's actually the opposite. We want Tulane to be on par or better and right now our facilities are by far the worst in the AAC.
+1
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:Can you imagine the 300+# OL trying to sit and get dressed with those tiny lockers. Come on. I really hope that is a picture of the old locker room.
Just like the planes, buses and cars these larger folk have to use as well.

Come on Lurker, that's a poor comparison. We control the locker room setup but have no control over how planes and buses are designed.

That's bush league posting, sorry.
We just disagree whether it's major league or Class D ball. Quick question: The recent TA&M locker room renovation included embedded TVs in the bathroom and shower mirrors. (I'm not kidding.) Should Tulane have done the same?

Do you think all athletes should have single dorm rooms? These are larger gents and currently at most (all?) colleges in the country the football players double up like regular students. They spend 6x as much time in their dorm rooms as the locker rooms. What's the major league or Class D ball view of that?

Sorry I just don't get the continued self abuse theme that seems to run around here.
Oh come on man. It's about putting together a presentation to recruits that is on par with our peers (or better). Then providing an atmosphere for the student athletes to thrive. Also, they do in fact spend a ton of time around the facility. I played nothing D1 baseball in the northeast and we spent an inordinate amount of time around the stadium.

Ya, many live in dorms but many live off campus, that's irrelevant to this discussion. The big time programs actually have athlete dorms that are amazing btw. You or I may not like the situation but its the reality of major billion dollar college sports. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!

It's not self abuse it's actually the opposite. We want Tulane to be on par or better and right now our facilities are by far the worst in the AAC.
Interestingly you didn't address the TA&M point about opulence. Facilities must be functional and allow you to achieve what you need. Clearly Tulane weight rooms, media rooms and some football ops did not meet that criteria. Those are being fixed. (BTW Fritz has been emphatic that Saints IPF works for him so let's accept his word that issue is solved.)

I'll accept that recruiting and "wow" factor matters to some. That's why LSU puts the jersey on recruits and has them walk into Tiger Stadium. I get it. Interestingly though it made no difference in basketball recruiting since we built the Hertz center for practice (where as you say the college athlete spends all his time) which is still world class by any measure. But I get it. We all like "nice stuff" but to what degree does it need to be opulent?

Do you think as concerns locker rooms and size and amenities that Fritz may want an "edge" on his players and that he is ok with his "modest" locker room renovation? The best high school team for decades in the U.S. has been De La Salle in northern California. Have you seen its facilities? They compare with some Louisiana public schools in modesty. So there are things other than luxury that matter here too for continued success.
As to the IPF the truth is Fritz originally said he didn't want one at all. Then had to use the Saints and really liked it. He now knows we need one and it needs to be on campus. He's new to this level and what it takes to recruit. He's still learning.
The Saint IPF is fine for now, we have other issues to address first, IMO.
We agree about the priority of the IPF. I posted that earlier in this thread. I was just addressing what I thought was a misleading take on Fritz and the IPF.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:
winwave wrote:
The problem w/that theory is that it's too small to generate the necessary revenue even if sold out. It also appears it's tininess hinders recruiting which thus hinders filling it. It's far from a 1000% improvement. Being on campus is not the be all, end all. Finally we know that was the theory advanced by the yoggies that this would force Tulane to do good. The fact is they have been trying to do good all along. They have just been inept for most of the last 67 years.
We're all on the same page that Yulman needs to be expanded. But generating "necessary revenue" has not been an issue with it, Devlin or Turchin to date. The only hard football sellout we've had for three years was the GT opening. ("Hard" being where Tulane turned away paying customers.) We've had no hard sellouts in Devlin in years and only for one LSU home game per year in Turchin. When Tulane starts winning then stadium capacities will matter but your point about "necessary revenue" is in theory in the future, my point is in demonstrated practice today. Which do you think keeps Dannen awake at night?

I totally disagree with you that it's only ineptness that has held Tulane down since 1939 (interestingly the year that Rufus Harris became President. No I was not on campus then.) When you have an athletic operation be it Tulane stadium or the Dome that does not require you literally "to pay to play," you start to develop lazy habits. Tulane for 75 years was a fat cat, letting third parties totally manage its stadium and much of its football operations and could sit on its wallet. How do you think Cowen could gut the athletic budget after Katrina and still field a Div 1 program? He had no marginal facility costs for any major sport.

What skin to make the program work did Tulane have paying the Dome $12,000 rent per game while Pitt and Temple pay hundreds of thousands of dollars per game for their NFL stadiums.

Once the one-percenters put up $100 million, they had skin in the game and now demand to see it work. Ineptness or laziness or whatever will no longer be accepted. This is why Yulman and Hertz et al are so transforming not that money could have been better spent with larger locker and weight rooms or an IPF and staying in the Dome.
They had incentive all along. The program was losing money and has always been under pressure to not have to need so much money from the administration. I know it was the yoggie theory advanced but it's just wrong.
We had investors all along and they wanted return on their investment.
All AAC schools are losing money.
Right but that's not what point we were discussing here. Lurker said we had no incentive till now to try. I disagreed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:Good conversation with all today. Thanks. Glad we've kept it lowkey and impersonal. We're all concerned Tulane fans. This should be fun.

But Winwave, what's with the "Yogie" stuff? Sorry I don't get the offhand dis here but maybe I'm just slow. (OK. I saw the most recent post. My brain has been cleansed. Oh well. Most of my friends probably are grateful for that. :) )

JJ, I agree absolutely that Dome provides much more theoretical upside for revenue. However Dannen has been emphatic that it does not give us a potential home field/court advantage like Yulman and Devlin theoretically do when they are full. Let's sell them out and see if Dannen is right that the potential tradeoff is worth it.

Meanwhile let's not be confused. It's Tulane's lack of a winning record that is our weakest aspect of our resume to apply for P5 status not our facilities nor financials. Let's fix that now (which is why I'm absolutely for upgrading weight room and every other facility now that impacts improving our sports performance on the field.)

Finally for those who think De La Salle analogy is not exactly on point (and folks its facilities are incredibly modest including the weight room), we're back to the same old "Facilities matter until they don't" discussion that has generated a 200+ page thread here. Northern California is perhaps the richest exurb in the U.S. DLS could easily afford and build a Taj Mahal (like some of the Texas HS's do) if it chose. Yet they do not and still succeed at an unimaginable level to the extent that even Hollywood makes movies about it.

Perhaps we just agree the facility thing has been aired enough. Up to you folks.
Your HS analogy is way off b/c at that level you don't have an arms race. Most HS's have poor facilities. The advantage schools like that have are rooted in a system used by schools like Curtis where they indoctrinate the players in the system very early on.
lurker123
Swell

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:Good conversation with all today. Thanks. Glad we've kept it lowkey and impersonal. We're all concerned Tulane fans. This should be fun.

Your HS analogy is way off b/c at that level you don't have an arms race. Most HS's have poor facilities. The advantage schools like that have are rooted in a system used by schools like Curtis where they indoctrinate the players in the system very early on.
Sure and most colleges have poor facilities when you throw in Div III, NAIA, etc. It's the hundreds of wannabes starting on Carrollton and Banks and throughout the state of Texas and Massillon of Ohio and lots of other places that spend much more than De La Salle in California. Sorry but it sure looks likes an arms race to me. Remember all the photos posted here about HS stadiums in Texas that are "better than Yulman?"
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We are D-1 not D-III. The schools you refer to in HS are very much the exception to the rule and only the schools that De La Salle plays matter not ones in La. and other states.
RobertM320
Green Wave

A couple of pages back there was some comparison of our new lockers to other schools in the AAC. Of course, in order to prove how terrible ours are, the comparison was done by the two schools who are spending way more than they can afford -- UH and UCF. So I thought to be fair, we should see how the other schools in the conference compare. Well, here's a photo of our equipment set up in the locker room in Tulsa for tomorrow's game. I'd definitely say ours is better than what they're using.
https://twitter.com/TulaneEquipment/sta ... 6627575808
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's the visitors locker room. I think the picture you referred to pages back was of our locker room.
OUG
Riptide

Tulsa's Home Football locker room:

Tulsa's Home Basketball Locker Room:

I'd say we are probably comparable in both sports.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Suggestion for our lockers. I'd paint the ductwork the same color as the rest of the locker room. It's too noticeable otherwise.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote:Tulsa's Home Football locker room:

Tulsa's Home Basketball Locker Room:

I'd say we are probably comparable in both sports.
Football maybe. Not even close in basketball. Our locker room is teeny tiny in Hertz. It doesn't even have enough lockers for all our players.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Football maybe. Not even close in basketball. Our locker room is teeny tiny in Hertz. It doesn't even have enough lockers for all our players.
That I didn't know. How stupid is that? I'm not surprised by Dickson letting that pass, though.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

NFL playing right now in Twickenham, the UK national rugby venue in London. Interesting history: much of its redesigns/upgrades have been done in constant conflict with NIMBYs including one fifteen year period when part of the original stadium had to be closed for safety reasons before it could be upgraded because of NIMBY opposition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twickenham_Stadium

Relevance to us? Just another manifestation of town vs gown. Thus it was. Thus it ever will be.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:NFL playing right now in Twickenham, the UK national rugby venue in London. Interesting history: much of its redesigns/upgrades have been done in constant conflict with NIMBYs including one fifteen year period when part of the original stadium had to be closed for safety reasons before it could be upgraded because of NIMBY opposition.

Relevance to us? Just another manifestation of town vs gown. Thus it was. Thus it ever will be.
The NIMBY's on Audubon Blvd. bought their houses knowing that they bought next to where there once was the South's largest stadium and that they were adjacent to property that is geared to Tulane Athletics. Tulane is the largest employer in the City of New Orleans. To let a dozen or two dozen families dictate to the University how to build a $70 million facility was just ludicrous. If we played hard ball we would have assured the City Councilwoman that backed the NIMBY's that she would not be re-elected. The problem could have been solved, using some of Tulane's clout, rather than caving like Cowen did.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
lurker123 wrote:NFL playing right now in Twickenham, the UK national rugby venue in London. Interesting history: much of its redesigns/upgrades have been done in constant conflict with NIMBYs including one fifteen year period when part of the original stadium had to be closed for safety reasons before it could be upgraded because of NIMBY opposition.

The NIMBY's on Audubon Blvd. bought their houses knowing that they bought next to where there once was the South's largest stadium and that they were adjacent to property that is geared to Tulane Athletics. Tulane is the largest employer in the City of New Orleans. To let a dozen or two dozen families dictate to the University how to build a $70 million facility was just ludicrous. If we played hard ball we would have assured the City Councilwoman that backed the NIMBY's that she would not be re-elected. The problem could have been solved, using some of Tulane's clout, rather than caving like Cowen did.
D...I kinda sorta agree with you post, however, I think many who purchased on Audubon bought long after Tulane Stadium was gone...that said..."Death to the NIMBYS !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Suggestion for our lockers. I'd paint the ductwork the same color as the rest of the locker room. It's too noticeable otherwise.
Isn't that the Visiting team locker room in Tulsa you're commenting on in the photo above?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Suggestion for our lockers. I'd paint the ductwork the same color as the rest of the locker room. It's too noticeable otherwise.
Isn't that the Visiting team locker room in Tulsa you're commenting on in the photo above?
Yes. My bad. Thanks!
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The day the music stopped. Concerts banned from Tulane stadium. I was there that day.
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

Too bad he is not around to write a letter of apology to EVERY Tulane Fan, supporter and Alum for the bonehead decision to leave the SEC....One night of inconvenience to a select class of uppity uptown stuffed shirts vs. 50 years of heartache, lost revenue in the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and the effect it would have had on the university and the city of New Orleans.....We continue to bow to these select individuals while continuing to wallow in the shadows of the big boys........Where is MY apology letter!!!!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:Too bad he is not around to write a letter of apology to EVERY Tulane Fan, supporter and Alum for the bonehead decision to leave the SEC....One night of inconvenience to a select class of uppity uptown stuffed shirts vs. 50 years of heartache, lost revenue in the HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS and the effect it would have had on the university and the city of New Orleans.....We continue to bow to these select individuals while continuing to wallow in the shadows of the big boys........Where is MY apology letter!!!!!
That would be Dr. Herbert Longenecker. He was Tulane University's president from 1960 to 1975
Tulane Class of 1981
TURVS71
Swell

Thanks TPS, I stand corrected but would STILL like that letter!!: :D
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

TURVS71 wrote:Thanks TPS, I stand corrected but would STILL like that letter!!: :D
Me too!
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The only letter we will get from Tulane is one telling us it's on us to put up the money to fix their fuck-ups. Another bad plan that won't work.