Big XII Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:I just don't see the Big XII staying at 10 schools for very long, why wait til 2025? They can readily negotiate alternatives with ESPN and Fox--who themselves would probably welcome some alternatives to the talent-declining Big XII. If they wait til 2025, the SEC will have completely locked down SE Texas--I don't think UT, nor UH, are going to sit back and let that continue.
The issue with OU waiting to 2025 to move isn't whether OU could easily land in pretty much any other P5 or whether it would be compensated for doing so - the issues are primarily the GOR and lack of a rush to move. While it's true that the legality of the GORs haven's been fully vetted in court, it's unlikely that Oklahoma are going to want to invest the time, effort, and resources in order to find out the answer to that question, and, because it's not in a rush to leave, the GOR and its associated downsides outweigh the positives of leaving early. Further, OU isn't going to leave $30.4M/year (+ OUs 3rd tier tv revenue) in tv revenue conference to go create a non-access conference full of mid-majors in which it would make half of that amount a year at best when it could just jump to a conference making $37M/year in tv revenue instead.

UT is in a similar position as OU, and it has the Longhorn Network to boot. The difference between UT and OU and that UT doesn't appear to really care about anything because it knows that it could try life as an FBS independent if anything didn't work out and it could hold on to the Longhorn Network $15M/year and still be compensated separately for its 1st and 2nd tier rights. Of course, UT could literally land in any Power conference it wanted if it chose to go that route, although it seems as though the ACC and SEC would be unlikely destinations. Like OU, UT isn't going to leave $30.4M/year (+UTs 3rd tier tv revenue) in tv revenue conference to go create a non-access conference that's half mid-majors just to make half that amount at best when it could just jump to a conference making $37M/year in tv revenue instead.

HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:LOL. The ever changing saga of Big 12 expansion...

Chuck CarltonVerified account
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
Can confirm report, via sources, by @SIPeteThamel that Oklahoma, Boren now negative on Big 12 expansion, a potential game - changer.
Ouch. If true, I would assume that that means that he and OU want out in 2025.
They'll probably want out much "sooner" if possible. Perhaps he will try to initiate the infamous Plan B. At the very least, I suspect Boren will start negotiating with UT to figure out what the next step should be. I bet Boren will insist that there is going to be a next step for OU, it just depends on what it's going to be. This does buy us the critical time that Dannen and Fritz need to get the Cowen rust and stench off our program. I think it's really going to get interesting. The P4 buzzards will probably start circling, and at the same time both UT and OU, and likely many of the other Big XII schools will start back channeling trying to come up with some alternatives. Once the Big XII finally announces that there will be no expansion, I hope and expect that Dannen will stay in close contact with Bowlsby as things evolve. I just don't see the Big XII staying at 10 schools for very long, why wait til 2025? They can readily negotiate alternatives with ESPN and Fox--who themselves would probably welcome some alternatives to the talent-declining Big XII. If they wait til 2025, the SEC will have completely locked down SE Texas--I don't think UT, nor UH, are going to sit back and let that continue.
I hope we included a bonus for TD if we get a B12 invite.
I'm sure the Board would come up with a big time bonus if we got an invite, but unfortunately, it now sounds as though there will be no Big XII invites for anyone. Gridlock is the order of the day for the Big XII. But I can readily imagine that there could be other invites in the not to distant future--and to that end it will still be a full court press by Dannen and Fritz to whip our program into a competitive and respectable stature.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:LOL. The ever changing saga of Big 12 expansion...

Chuck CarltonVerified account
‏@ChuckCarltonDMN
Can confirm report, via sources, by @SIPeteThamel that Oklahoma, Boren now negative on Big 12 expansion, a potential game - changer.
Ouch. If true, I would assume that that means that he and OU want out in 2025.
They'll probably want out much "sooner" if possible. Perhaps he will try to initiate the infamous Plan B. At the very least, I suspect Boren will start negotiating with UT to figure out what the next step should be. I bet Boren will insist that there is going to be a next step for OU, it just depends on what it's going to be. This does buy us the critical time that Dannen and Fritz need to get the Cowen rust and stench off our program. I think it's really going to get interesting. The P4 buzzards will probably start circling, and at the same time both UT and OU, and likely many of the other Big XII schools will start back channeling trying to come up with some alternatives. Once the Big XII finally announces that there will be no expansion, I hope and expect that Dannen will stay in close contact with Bowlsby as things evolve. I just don't see the Big XII staying at 10 schools for very long, why wait til 2025? They can readily negotiate alternatives with ESPN and Fox--who themselves would probably welcome some alternatives to the talent-declining Big XII. If they wait til 2025, the SEC will have completely locked down SE Texas--I don't think UT, nor UH, are going to sit back and let that continue.
I hope we included a bonus for TD if we get a B12 invite.
I'm sure the Board would come up with a big time bonus if we got an invite, but unfortunately, it now sounds as though there will be no Big XII invites for anyone. Gridlock is the order of the day for the Big XII. But I can readily imagine that there could be other invites in the not to distant future--and to that end it will still be a full court press by Dannen and Fritz to whip our program into a competitive and respectable stature.
The issue to me is not that the B12 doesn't want to expand, it's that every candidate has clear flaws. I have always said Tulane has no shot but if we every improved on the field/court and improved our facilities, we would probably be the only B12 candidate with no clear flaws. It's wild that SC/RD couldn't understand the situation.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: I'm sure the Board would come up with a big time bonus if we got an invite, but unfortunately, it now sounds as though there will be no Big XII invites for anyone. Gridlock is the order of the day for the Big XII. But I can readily imagine that there could be other invites in the not to distant future--and to that end it will still be a full court press by Dannen and Fritz to whip our program into a competitive and respectable stature.
I read something online today that says there's behind the scenes discussions between the ACC, ND and UConn. If the ACC can get ND to commit to being a full member, including football, they'd add UConn and go to 16.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
HoustonWave wrote: I'm sure the Board would come up with a big time bonus if we got an invite, but unfortunately, it now sounds as though there will be no Big XII invites for anyone. Gridlock is the order of the day for the Big XII. But I can readily imagine that there could be other invites in the not to distant future--and to that end it will still be a full court press by Dannen and Fritz to whip our program into a competitive and respectable stature.
I read something online today that says there's behind the scenes discussions between the ACC, ND and UConn. If the ACC can get ND to commit to being a full member, including football, they'd add UConn and go to 16.
Good luck with that. ND fans and alumni are mostly dead set against joining a conference for football. Most that I know, and I know quite a few since my oldest brother is ND class of '71, would rather drop to D3 than be in a conference. It's going to be a tough sell because alumni giving at ND is HUGE.

I've always thought that UConn to the ACC makes a whole lot more sense than any other conference. If the ACC goes to 16, look for the others to do the same. I wish the SEC would bring Tulane back, if nothing else, to keep another conference from planting a stake in New Orleans. Maybe while the Tigers are in a state of flux they can be caught in a weak moment?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
Good luck with that. ND fans and alumni are mostly dead set against joining a conference for football. Most that I know, and I know quite a few since my oldest brother is ND class of '71, would rather drop to D3 than be in a conference. It's going to be a tough sell because alumni giving at ND is HUGE.

I've always thought that UConn to the ACC makes a whole lot more sense than any other conference. If the ACC goes to 16, look for the others to do the same. I wish the SEC would bring Tulane back, if nothing else, to keep another conference from planting a stake in New Orleans. Maybe while the Tigers are in a state of flux they can be caught in a weak moment?
When was the last time ND was actually relevant ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: When was the last time ND was actually relevant ?
Last year they were one win from a playoff spot, three seasons removed from a Championship Game appearance.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
Last year, until they lost to Clemson and Stanford on back to back weeks, they were in the playoff.

Three years earlier, they lost the MNC game, in New Orleans. Got dominated but finished 3rd and 4th in the polls.

Despite those accomplishments (and last year was in the face of more devastating injuries to key players than any team I can remember) the Alumni curse Jack Swarbrick (AD) for giving Coach Kelly a 6 year extension this past January.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Last year, until they lost to Clemson and Stanford on back to back weeks, they were in the playoff.

Three years earlier, they lost the MNC game, in New Orleans. Got dominated but finished 3rd and 4th in the polls.

Despite those accomplishments (and last year was in the face of more devastating injuries to key players than any team I can remember) the Alumni curse Jack Swarbrick (AD) for giving Coach Kelly a 6 year extension this past January.

shows how much attention I pay to ND..But i do pay attention to Stanford for some unknown reason, and I think they play them this week end
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

The loss to Clemson was early in the season, by a 2 pt conversion. The loss to Stanford was the last game of the season.

The loss to Alabama in the NC game was in Miami. But yes, they have been very relevant since then. They went to the Fiesta bowl last year. They've been consistently ranked.

They just can't get over the hump. And now it seems like they're having general coaching and preparedness issues on defense. If you watched them against Duke, they simply can't tackle at all. That's the only way that game is close.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Last year, until they lost to Clemson and Stanford on back to back weeks, they were in the playoff. Edit: It was two losses in 3 weeks on the road.

shows how much attention I pay to ND..But i do pay attention to Stanford for some unknown reason, and I think they play them this week end
No, they play Dino Babers' Syracuse team in the Meadowlands (MetLife Stadium). They'll get 50,000 there easily. That's a recruiting mission, as NJ is a hotbed for O-Linemen. Stanford is typically later in the season, this year should be in South Bend.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:

The loss to Clemson was early in the season, by a 2 pt conversion. The loss to Stanford was the last game of the season.

The loss to Alabama in the NC game was in Miami. But yes, they have been very relevant since then. They went to the Fiesta bowl last year. They've been consistently ranked.

They just can't get over the hump. And now it seems like they're having general coaching and preparedness issues on defense. If you watched them against Duke, they simply can't tackle at all. That's the only way that game is close.
You are right, the Clemson loss was game five, in October, my bad.
RobertM320
Green Wave

So there's the rub. Texas is determined to have the state of Texas dominate the membership so they have a block, and OU won't go there.

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 17m17 minutes ago
So Boren(not specifically OU) and Texas are fighting again.
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 16m16 minutes ago
Boren wants UC and BYU and controls nearly enough votes to add them as a block
Texas wants UH and UC and almost has the votes for them to be added as a block as well
7 votes. Both combinations.
It gets ugly because UT and TT are adamant about only adding 2 and UH must be one of them
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 15m15 minutes ago
Boren wants only 2 as well but if UH is a must then he wants 14.
UT saying the only way they go to 14 is if both UH and 1 of SMU or Rice is added as well
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 14m14 minutes ago
6 schools who desperately want the B12 to expand and solidify are ready to throw in the towel and kill expansion all together
My source at WVU says that killing expansion will kill the Big12.
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 13m13 minutes ago
Boren doesn't want Texas to have nearly half the conference votes. 5 of 12 or 6 of 14. It's already 4 of 10.
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 11m11 minutes ago
Boren wanted 12 with 2 non-Texas schools to drop Texas block to 1/3.
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 10m10 minutes ago
Expansion isn't dead yet. But the longer this goes on the less likely it will happen.
My source says that the feeling is if no formal vote comes within the next 3 weeks then it's a no go.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
The issue to me is not that the B12 doesn't want to expand, it's that every candidate has clear flaws. I have always said Tulane has no shot but if we every improved on the field/court and improved our facilities, we would probably be the only B12 candidate with no clear flaws. It's wild that SC/RD couldn't understand the situation.
It's not so much wild as it is corporate malfeasance. Cowen was the only one among our peers betting against athletics. The policy had been a miserable failure for 10 years when they decided to double down on it and spend $100M on Yulman/Fogelman/Athletes Village, all the things that are problems today. They actually bet $100M on a policy that will now cost us $500M due to the error. People should be held accountable. This is not a small mess up.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:So there's the rub. Texas is determined to have the state of Texas dominate the membership so they have a block, and OU won't go there.

MHver3 ‏@MHver3 17m17 minutes ago
So Boren(not specifically OU) and Texas are fighting again.
Boren wants UC and BYU and controls nearly enough votes to add them as a block
Texas wants UH and UC and almost has the votes for them to be added as a block as well
7 votes. Both combinations.
It gets ugly because UT and TT are adamant about only adding 2 and UH must be one of them
Boren wants only 2 as well but if UH is a must then he wants 14.
UT saying the only way they go to 14 is if both UH and 1 of SMU or Rice is added as well
6 schools who desperately want the B12 to expand and solidify are ready to throw in the towel and kill expansion all together
My source at WVU says that killing expansion will kill the Big12.
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 13m13 minutes ago
Boren doesn't want Texas to have nearly half the conference votes. 5 of 12 or 6 of 14. It's already 4 of 10.
MHver3 ‏@MHver3 11m11 minutes ago
Boren wanted 12 with 2 non-Texas schools to drop Texas block to 1/3.
Expansion isn't dead yet. But the longer this goes on the less likely it will happen.
My source says that the feeling is if no formal vote comes within the next 3 weeks then it's a no go.
What's insane is that TCU is already in the Big12, and UC, UH, SMU and Rice are all prime targets. Every one of those schools was behind us when Cowen showed up. Incredulous.

And we still might be #14.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: corporate malfeasance.
Here we go again.
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

For OU and UT to get what they want, it would have to be BYU, UH, Cincy and either SMU/Rice. We're on the outside regardless. But there's no way the northern schools will agree to 2 Texas schools, so 14 is effectively off the table. So that means two, which leaves us out. Time to hope for no expansion.

Or maybe, if we really have the balls, we step up and publicly announce we're pulling out because we have no interest in being part of such a dysfunctional conference. Follow that up with a push on ESPN/FOX and the other four P5 conferences and say that AAC should be added as the fifth P5 conference and the Big 12 dropped. Threaten a lawsuit because, part of the NCAA all schools should all have equal opportunity and the CFP as structured doesn't allow that. You never know.
lurker123
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:
Here we go again.
Are you familiar with "Stockholm Syndrome?" Just asking.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
Here we go again.
No not again. Still. They just inducted Dickson into the Hall of Fame 72 hours ago. You can't fix what you won't admit is broken.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:For OU and UT to get what they want, it would have to be BYU, UH, Cincy and either SMU/Rice. We're on the outside regardless. But there's no way the northern schools will agree to 2 Texas schools, so 14 is effectively off the table. So that means two, which leaves us out. Time to hope for no expansion.

Or maybe, if we really have the balls, we step up and publicly announce we're pulling out because we have no interest in being part of such a dysfunctional conference. Follow that up with a push on ESPN/FOX and the other four P5 conferences and say that AAC should be added as the fifth P5 conference and the Big 12 dropped. Threaten a lawsuit because, part of the NCAA all schools should all have equal opportunity and the CFP as structured doesn't allow that. You never know.
Except for the fact that the Big 12, dysfunctional as it may be, is head and shoulders a much stronger conference than the AAC. Small detail.
RobertM320
Green Wave

But they're not going to be a conference much longer, the way they're going.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:But they're not going to be a conference much longer, the way they're going.
They will be fine through 2024. If/when OU or UT leaves, then you have an argument, until that happens (and it's highly unlikely to happen until the current media deals expire, for numerous reasons already outlined in this thread) there's no argument. The Big 12 is dysfunctional and appears scattter brained. But the truth is there are no obvious expansion candidates that don't have warts.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:But they're not going to be a conference much longer, the way they're going.
They will be fine through 2024. If/when OU or UT leaves, then you have an argument, until that happens (and it's highly unlikely to happen until the current media deals expire, for numerous reasons already outlined in this thread) there's no argument. The Big 12 is dysfunctional and appears scattter brained. But the truth is there are no obvious expansion candidates that don't have warts.
I don't disagree. Then again, the B1G took Rutgers, who brings nothing to the table athletically at all.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
I don't disagree. Then again, the B1G took Rutgers, who brings nothing to the table athletically at all.
Except the NYC TV market. And a foothold in New Jersey, which is a strong source of linemen.