Yulman Stadium (Benson Field)

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

JJ, you mention that its a poor recruiting class, but if you check out Navy's recruiting, for the most part they have nothing but 2*. So how are they able to win year after year, with such "inferior" talent? Coaching. And that's why I believe we'll be better than you think. Willie Fritz and staff will take 2* and have them playing like 3*, and our few 3* playing like 4*. That's how Navy wins, against a tougher schedule than we usually play.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

Don't you think character (or if you prefer "personal intangibles") and training matter here for Navy as well? Yes coaching is important and also talent evaluation (or Army would be national champ every season) but the 24/7/365 system these folks live in gives Navy a unique advantage to get the maximum from its players.

In other words, there is something to be said for a modern derivative (with differences of course) of the Spartan agoge.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

lurker123 wrote:There is a reason why UCLA signed a 30 year extension with the 100+ year old Rose Bowl rather than move to the under-construction most advanced/biggest/baddest NFL stadium ever in 2019. (Will it cost $2 billion?)

There is a reason that Temple and UMass are begging to get out of their NFL stadiums and even GA State is converting a baseball stadium to do the same. Even FAU and FIU want no part of an NFL stadium. Vanderbilt in the might SEC prefers a 40,000 seat stadium on campus versus Titans field. SMU, UH, blah blah blah.

Tulane just earned an easy extra $50,000 by agreeing to play on UMass campus instead of Gillette. Charlotte built a 15,000 seat on campus stadium rather than move into a ready made NFL facility. Who's left? Miami, SDSU and Pittsburgh. Any others?

I guess morons run Universities across America and college football teams large and small are missing the sainted opportunity of playing in NFL stadiums. Too bad....
To compare the Rose Bowl To Yulman is a joke. More importantly no one but Tulane is saying a 22k on campus stadium is the way to go. You have to see it from more than your selfish eyes. It's the 18 year olds eyes who want to see where they are going to play that counts. They are not going to be fooled.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:JJ, you mention that its a poor recruiting class, but if you check out Navy's recruiting, for the most part they have nothing but 2*. So how are they able to win year after year, with such "inferior" talent? Coaching. And that's why I believe we'll be better than you think. Willie Fritz and staff will take 2* and have them playing like 3*, and our few 3* playing like 4*. That's how Navy wins, against a tougher schedule than we usually play.
I'm pretty sure I was the most optimistic poster on this forum before the season began. My predictions were "unreasonable" in their optimism.

Let's not play the outlier game. We need more talent on campus, and I think everyone knows that starting with Willie Fritz. Do we have the facilities we need to recruit? And does WF think Yulman is a benefit or hinderance in recruiting? Because we are losing recruits repeatedly to the other LA schools.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
lurker123 wrote:There is a reason why UCLA signed a 30 year extension with the 100+ year old Rose Bowl rather than move to the under-construction most advanced/biggest/baddest NFL stadium ever in 2019. (Will it cost $2 billion?)

There is a reason that Temple and UMass are begging to get out of their NFL stadiums and even GA State is converting a baseball stadium to do the same. Even FAU and FIU want no part of an NFL stadium. Vanderbilt in the might SEC prefers a 40,000 seat stadium on campus versus Titans field. SMU, UH, blah blah blah.

Tulane just earned an easy extra $50,000 by agreeing to play on UMass campus instead of Gillette. Charlotte built a 15,000 seat on campus stadium rather than move into a ready made NFL facility. Who's left? Miami, SDSU and Pittsburgh. Any others?

I guess morons run Universities across America and college football teams large and small are missing the sainted opportunity of playing in NFL stadiums. Too bad....
To compare the Rose Bowl To Yulman is a joke. More importantly no one but Tulane is saying a 22k on campus stadium is the way to go. You have to see it from more than your selfish eyes. It's the 18 year olds eyes who want to see where they are going to play that counts. They are not going to be fooled.
It's an utterly ridiculous comparison considering the Rose Bowl is 25 miles from the UCLA campus. Using the Rose Bowl as an example is pretty much an endorsement of the Dome.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Every one agrees that on campus is preferable for college. However that is not the be all, end all. This stadium is clearly lacking. It's too damn small to make money or to help recruiting. All I suggest is that we have a united front w/the new administration that we want the issues addressed much sooner than later.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote:

It's an utterly ridiculous comparison considering the Rose Bowl is 25 miles from the UCLA campus. Using the Rose Bowl as an example is pretty much an endorsement of the Dome.
UCLA and the Rose Bowl works because it is a commuter school, and no one lives on campus !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:Every one agrees that on campus is preferable for college. However that is not the be all, end all. This stadium is clearly lacking. It's too damn small to make money or to help recruiting. All I suggest is that we have a united front w/the new administration that we want the issues addressed much sooner than later.
Now we're finally getting somewhere!

Yes, on campus is preferable.
No, Yulman is not good enough.
Yes, something needs to be done about it.

Was it really that hard for us to get to this consensus?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:
winwave wrote:Every one agrees that on campus is preferable for college. However that is not the be all, end all. This stadium is clearly lacking. It's too damn small to make money or to help recruiting. All I suggest is that we have a united front w/the new administration that we want the issues addressed much sooner than later.

Agreed
Ruski
Swell

lurker123 wrote:Don't you think character (or if you prefer "personal intangibles") and training matter here for Navy as well? Yes coaching is important and also talent evaluation (or Army would be national champ every season) but the 24/7/365 system these folks live in gives Navy a unique advantage to get the maximum from its players.

In other words, there is something to be said for a modern derivative (with differences of course) of the Spartan agoge.
I'd like to give a counter example of Mizzou under Gary Pinkel. When he took over the program absolutely no-one in the state gave a shit about football. His recruiting classes were always somewhere 30-50 and no decent prospect considered going to Columbia, finally his last season he got a class ranked in the top 20 (18). The 2007 team that finished top 5 was made from recruiting classes ranked 31, 39, 50, and 34. That team was one perfect half away from competing in the national championship.

My point is that coaching matters very much and no its not just a military academies thing. Louisiana is about 2 tiers above Missouri when it comes quality of HS football, WF just needs to have the right system to find the kids who can fit his style of football.

"Pinkel knew how to target traits as opposed to fully developed players. He also knew which areas to target. He went after the best players in the state of Missouri, and supplemented his roster with overlooked recruits from the state of Texas. Pinkel never had a recruiting class rank among the top 20 nationally. And yet, Missouri had five seasons with double-digit wins between 2007 and 2014. That starts with recruiting, it continues with player development, and it ends with dozens of players leaving Missouri having an opportunity to play in the NFL."

http://ktgr.com/gary-pinkels-top-recrui ... at-mizzou/
Ruski
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:

+1
JDTulane
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:

Agreed
Agreed! Let the horse alone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:

That was exactly my original point.

What's next? Locker rooms? IPF? Expansion?
RobertM320
Green Wave

If its general facilities improvement, we have a thread for that as well. My guess, since we just renovated the locker rooms, it would be football ops facility before either an IPF or expansion.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:If its general facilities improvement, we have a thread for that as well. My guess, since we just renovated the locker rooms, it would be football ops facility before either an IPF or expansion.
Well, not really. Like the current Yulman, the locker room situation is a band aid. You look at the other locker rooms of conference mates and you see why we can't recruit. Between these locker rooms and the size of Yulman, we just don't look serious.

My original point is that Yulman, as constructed, did not solve any problems. Meanwhile, we have other problems that needed solving (i.e., locker room). Now we have more problems, not less. So what's next? How to get there?

See pictures of the "renovated" Tulane locker room vs other AAC locker rooms.

RobertM320
Green Wave

I know they're not up to some of the others. Its a stopgap measure. But they aren't going to do locker rooms that they just finished, they're going to do something else. My thought would be the football ops facility, (which could include better locker rooms in it), so we'd have all the meeting rooms and such upgraded to be competitive.

That's going to come before any expansion of Yulman, because we need these upgrades to improve recruiting, which will improve winning, which will increase attendance, which will then fuel the demand for expansion of Yulman. Its a process, and I trust that Dannen will do whatever needs to be done, in the proper order.
RobertM320
Green Wave

By the way, on those photos you posted, the UCF setup isn't a whole lot better. A few extra inches wider, and they have graphics on one wall. Big deal. Ours has an additional shelf to put things on. The graphics can be added any time.
lurker123
Swell

Facility envy and paranoia has been like going on forever. Any of you youths remember this one?

http://www.si.com/vault/1965/10/11/6070 ... ant-hilton
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:If its general facilities improvement, we have a thread for that as well. My guess, since we just renovated the locker rooms, it would be football ops facility before either an IPF or expansion.
Definitely football ops. first w/a much better weight room, better locker room, up to date meeting rooms, a theater style squad room, a players lounge, training table and nicer offices for our coaches. While that comes first Tulane needs to tell us us and more importantly the recruits what it will do to expand Yulman. Then the IPF.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:
Definitely football ops. first w/a much better weight room, better locker room, up to date meeting rooms, a theater style squad room, a players lounge, training table and nicer offices for our coaches. While that comes first Tulane needs to tell us us and more importantly the recruits what it will do to expand Yulman. Then the IPF.
Training room as well.

Will Yulman, they have to address the parking situation if (when?) they expand.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

High rise on Rosen w/the new basketball arena on top.
ajcalhoun
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Big deal. Ours has an additional shelf to put things on.
So you can literally and figuratively hang your hat on that.
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Well, not really. Like the current Yulman, the locker room situation is a band aid. You look at the other locker rooms of conference mates and you see why we can't recruit. Between these locker rooms and the size of Yulman, we just don't look serious.

My original point is that Yulman, as constructed, did not solve any problems. Meanwhile, we have other problems that needed solving (i.e., locker room). Now we have more problems, not less. So what's next? How to get there?

See pictures of the "renovated" Tulane locker room vs other AAC locker rooms.

Um, pretty sure that's the UCF Soccer team locker room? Our locker room is bogus.
Ruski
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
RobertM320 wrote: Image
Um, pretty sure that's the UCF Soccer team locker room? Our locker room is bogus.
You're right. UCF's football locker room is vastly superior to ours!

Bearwave
High Tide

Ruski wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
RobertM320 wrote: Image
You're right. UCF's football locker room is vastly superior to ours!

If I'm an 18 year old recruit I'm thinking where do I sign up? :lol:
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em