Gameday experience

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The sound system sucks. It has to be replaced. They were out of chicken before the end of the second quarter. I went to buy a beer w/5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and an official from Tulane came up to the stand yelling to cut off beer sales. I gave him an earful about the fact that sales don't end till the end of the 3rd quarter and there were five minutes left. Needless to say I got the beer but I shouldn't have had to go through that to get it. They alao need more of the mobile stands that sell canned beer. They used to have them all over the concourse.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote:The sound system sucks. It has to be replaced. They were out of chicken before the end of the second quarter. I went to buy a beer w/5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and an official from Tulane came up to the stand yelling to cut off beer sales. I gave him an earful about the fact that sales don't end till the end of the 3rd quarter and there were five minutes left. Needless to say I got the beer but I shouldn't have had to go through that to get it. They alao need more of the mobile stands that sell canned beer. They used to have them all over the concourse.
Are the vendors making money? If they're not doing volume from the attendance, they're going to have to hit you with large margins.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:The sound system sucks. It has to be replaced.
I agree about the sound system probably because it was designed so that it wouldn't disturb the NIMBY's. And the stadium is just about soundproof because of that as well. Noise does not travel at all and it can't be generated in there.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

The sound is ridiculous. I live about ten blocks from Destrehan High school, and I can hear the PA system clearly. Sometimes my wife thinks there's someone outside talking, if she isn't aware there's a game on. But in Yulman, I can hardly hear the PA from the bottom seats. Good thing the scoreboard has a closed caption feature on it.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TURVS71
Swell

Ditto on the sound system. We sit right up against the press box on the 35 yl and had trouble hearing it too. I sent a Twitter to TU football at the beginning of the game about it but didn't get a response.

By the way this "fly over" was better than that first Yulman flyover !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Bearwave
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:The sound is ridiculous. I live about ten blocks from Destrehan High school, and I can hear the PA system clearly. Sometimes my wife thinks there's someone outside talking, if she isn't aware there's a game on. But in Yulman, I can hardly hear the PA from the bottom seats. Good thing the scoreboard has a closed caption feature on it.
I live across the River from Destrehan and can hear the PA in my yard most Friday nights.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TD- Wake the fuck up. The concession operation is a nightmare. Out of popcorn before the end of the first Quarter. One beer stand out of Miler Lite before the second quarter. The workers are clueless in using the hand held register. Even worse they don't have enough of the registers so people tell you they can sell you something but they can't ring it up and have to wait till the stand next to them can ring it up. This w/a tiny crowd. GET IT FIXED ASAP!
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

winwave wrote:TD- Wake the f**k up. The concession operation is a nightmare. Out of popcorn before the end of the first Quarter. One beer stand out of Miler Lite before the second quarter. The workers are clueless in using the hand held register. Even worse they don't have enough of the registers so people tell you they can sell you something but they can't ring it up and have to wait till the stand next to them can ring it up. This w/a tiny crowd. GET IT FIXED ASAP!
You forgot to add in the part, if you pay with a card, it's like playing roulette. Will it work? Or will you be banished to another vendor?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:TD- Wake the f**k up. The concession operation is a nightmare. Out of popcorn before the end of the first Quarter. One beer stand out of Miler Lite before the second quarter. The workers are clueless in using the hand held register. Even worse they don't have enough of the registers so people tell you they can sell you something but they can't ring it up and have to wait till the stand next to them can ring it up. This w/a tiny crowd. GET IT FIXED ASAP!
I have to believe any existing service contracts were DIckson's doing. And even if it weren't, Yulman concessions are not high enough priority above all the coaching searches and staff building and major donor being announced etc that he's handled so far.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenPuddleSplash wrote:
You forgot to add in the part, if you pay with a card, it's like playing roulette. Will it work? Or will you be banished to another vendor?
State of the art stadium operations require wifi. This is what happens when you build a stadium without wifi. Let's be clear, this is another $5M-$10M mistake.
lurker123
Swell

As concerns the sound system perhaps we need Goldilocks here. Am I the only person here that recalls in Season 1 at Yulman, it was excruciatingly and painfully loud? I don't think NIMBY's had anything to do with it being toned down. I do know that many season ticket holders (especially those in 120-122) complained strongly about it and were obviously heard.

The only time in 2016 that the sound system is as loud as in 2014 is when the score board plays the Hullabaloo after the Tulane Band finishes the fight song after a Tulane score.

Finally I'm ok with the closed captioning on the scoreboard as a substitute for not being tortured by 140 decibel rap music (or so it seemed in 2014.)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The sound system and the PA announcer suck.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote:The sound system and the PA announcer suck.
PA announcer is Steve Geller of WWL. So by association I'm going to assume he's an LSU fan and is only doing this for the money. We probably need to find someone that gives a damn.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
PA announcer is Steve Geller of WWL. So by association I'm going to assume he's an LSU fan and is only doing this for the money. We probably need to find someone that gives a damn.
I am available !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:

It just seems like the PA announcer is not into the game. He makes mistakes that a PA announcer just shouldn't make. I'm not sure which score in OT it was for ULL, but their player was tackled at the 1 1/2 yd line and he announces that it's a TD. There was no official signaling a TD, he just missed it. I thought I missed something. He later corrected himself, but he shouldn't be making that kind of mistake.....

I went down in the 2nd qtr to get a hot dog and a snowball for my daughter. The Wave Dog line in the North Endzone Corridor was too long so we got the snowball and moved on to the next. I finally got a Hot Dog at the WOW in the Southwest corner. The kicker is that the menu displays were out, so I asked the worker if they sold hot dogs. She said no, then I saw another customer getting a hot dog on the other side. I mentioned this to her, she asked another worker then got the hot dog. She rang it up then said, wow, $5 for a hot dog......I just shook my head, paid the money and left.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Disappointed with the T-Club tailgate. As a paying member for many years this year has been the worst attempt at hospitality. I usually bring a guest to the tailgate but for the last 3 games now there has been no food or beer only water and a few cokes. In the past it was a part of the alumni tent and it was a blast. No wonder the paying membership has dropped off significantly. The point of paying is so you don't have to lug food and a ice chest across campus and back for every game. They need to either do it right or just get rid of the T-Club entirely.
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

The concession situation has been pitiful for awhile. They really need to start from scratch in the offseason. I had a great time at the game last night, but it is taking away from the experience instead of enhancing it like it should.
Houma de Wave
Swell

I did public address announcing on the college level for a few years and did radio broadcasts for 23 seasons (high school and 1 year substituting at Nicholls State, which was so comfortably easy). I go to road games and the home P. A. Guy juices up the crowd and the whole experience is impressive, to say the least. Our P. A. is noticeably lacking. We need a "homer" and a louder offering!
McWave
High Tide

My concession experience was much better this past weekend than the prior two weekends. I was able to walk up to the westflet tier north end and buy a hot dog and small coke for $9 with no wait. The staff was courteous, professional, and efficient. The entire staff appears to have been changed from the first two weeks.

As an example, at the Navy game I ordered a small popcorn and large coke from a smiling teenage female staffer. The female staffer relayed the order to a teenage male staffer who asked, "What size (popcorn)?" I said, "Small". The staffer searched for a small container..... He could not find one. He can back and said, "I only have a large popcorn container". I said, "Fine, then fill it half way and charge me for a small." He looked puzzled but filled the popcorn box halfway. Another male teenage staffer came over and saw the box was half full and told him to "fill it up all the way". The staffer explained, that I wanted a small and there were not more small boxes. The other staffer said, "we only have one size" and proceeded to fill the box to the top. Then handed me the popcorn. Well I have my popcorn, now where is the coke.

The female staff calls back to the gaggle of teenagers joking it up behind her. Nobody moves. She drops the F bomb on them as the manager walks by. I am actually pleased she tried to get me my order but the manager sees it differently. He calls her to the back. I say, "it's fine, she was actually trying to help me.". The manager apologizes and walks off with her. I eventually get the coke from a member of the gaggle who find it funny she is get reprimanded.

This week the entire staff was new and I had a completely different (better) experience. Hopefully it continues. But I wish the female staffer was not released. She was the only one working during the Navy game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
I have to believe any existing service contracts were DIckson's doing. And even if it weren't, Yulman concessions are not high enough priority above all the coaching searches and staff building and major donor being announced etc that he's handled so far.
The searches are done and we are in season. The game day experience is high priority right now. It needs to be fixed while the team is away.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Troy you've done well w/your hires but the game day operations is a total failure. The lines are awful and the place isn't even half full. I got a hamburger. Wanted a cheeseburger but they didn't have cheese. Didn't matter. It was cold and the worst burger I ever ate. Wife got wings and they were cold and awful. Fries were cold too. The only thing not cold were the beers. There was plenty of time to get things fixed since the last home game. If anything it was worse tonight. The place sits more than half empty and will now sit empty the rest of the year.

GET IT FIXED.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Troy you've done well w/your hires but the game day operations is a total failure. The lines are awful and the place isn't even half full. I got a hamburger. Wanted a cheeseburger but they didn't have cheese. Didn't matter. It was cold and the worst burger I ever ate. Wife got wings and they were cold and awful. Fries were cold too. The only thing not cold were the beers. There was plenty of time to get things fixed since the last home game. If anything it was worse tonight. The place sits more than half empty and will now sit empty the rest of the year.

GET IT FIXED.
I doubt anything gets fixed. I complained about the lack of food and drinks at the T-Cub tent every game this season. So what did they do, they decided it was just easier not have a tent. So the tent is no more and members are encouraged to go to a room in an empty stadium 2 hours before kickoff and miss the one thing that is still fun: Tailgating on campus.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Is TD succumbing to the same disease as past ADs, I.e. budget worries? If so we are doomed as you must spend money to be a viable program.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

$80M white elephant.

Hasn't improved attendance

Hasn't improved recruiting

Is losing money
ajcalhoun
Swell

Except for the score I had a great time last night.

For twenty bucks, I got Boudin Balls, Meat Pies, and a Debris Sandwich from that stand at the northwest corner and the kids that were working it kicked ass. It was nice to see kids working and thinking and really trying to do a good job.

The Yeungling (or however you spell it) on tap at another stand was nice and cold.

I used the wifi code I got from this site yesterday and it worked great.

It was the first time in Yulman for two of the four in my party and they really enjoyed it and want to go back.
God Bless Everyone!