Wave loses a tough one to Navy 21-14

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:
wave97 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Jaxwave, I cannot disagree more. If we lost starting players to season ending injuries, our season was over before it began. We have no depth.

We're growing. We started a true Freshman, one of only two in D1 that didn't enroll early that's starting at QB. I'm not saying this is a "moral victory" as I don't believe in them. We did play well, and for the most part played toe to toe with a bowl bound team that is well coached and well respected. This is a game we win in the next year or two under Fritz.

At this point I'm more impressed than I expected to be, but also see a whole lot of the issues I expected rearing their ugly heads. Inexperience and lack of depth is hurting. We also need an athletic QB that can throw accurately as well as run the option. But there's a night and day difference between this team and the one that took the field last November. I can't wait until next week, we should beat up the ULaLa Cajuns.
I agree with DfromCt. In their last 20, Navy has lost three, twice to Notre Dame and once to Houston. In the last 13 seasons, they've been to 12 bowls. They started a senior QB who has been in the same system for four years, and is probably 22 years old. We started a 2 star, true freshman at QB, who only saw the playbook for the first time three months ago. We're running a brand new offense and defense. I'm encouraged by what I've seen, but there's also a lot of room for improvement.

If we're still having games like this in Fritz' season three, then I'll be worried.
We tried to do what Houston did last year to eviscerate Navy. 5 guys up front, a nickle package and a single LB - our DB's are stay-puft-soft, they're pretty boys who bring *nothing* to a brawl.
I don't like calling out players. Without using names, #21 should stay on the bench next week. Pathetic tackler!
He had a rough game. I think I counted around 3 missed tackles. He's a college kid, these things happen. He'll learn and improve.

greenphantom
Swell

Tough loss against a good team. Agree with Robert on the WRs needing to block better downfield. Some of the comments above are silly. we threw the ball plenty over the last 15 years and mostly sucked.
sader24
Tsunami

I just hate the decision making on the sideline. They were setting up that pass the whole game, but at that point u just have to forget about that and stay on schedule with the option/run game.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

sader24 wrote:I just hate the decision making on the sideline. They were setting up that pass the whole game, but at that point u just have to forget about that and stay on schedule with the option/run game.
Yes. This bothered me so much. I was like if we're dinking them for 3 yards, why throw on 2nd and then run on 3rd again or vice versa? That was frustrating. The other frustrating thing is one kick offs he only has 1 returner in the back field. We got lucky this week that the Navy kicker couldn't really control his kickoffs.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wave97 wrote:We need a F***ing defensive coordinator - NOW!
We shouldn't have lost to this group of football cast-offs.
:lol: :lol:
Jaxwave
Swell

;)
RobertM320 wrote:I will say that our receivers should spend some time watching film of Navy's receivers. There were numerous pitch plays that could have gone for big yardage if our receivers hold their block longer, but the tackle was made by the DB getting loose from the WR.
Our pitches were so deep that by the time the runner got the ball and turned it up tha DB had come off the block. Without holding the WR will have difficulty staving off the DB.
greenphantom
Swell

sader24 wrote:I just hate the decision making on the sideline. They were setting up that pass the whole game, but at that point u just have to forget about that and stay on schedule with the option/run game.
That was definitely a bad decision. We were on a roll running the ball.
greenphantom
Swell

Jaxwave wrote:;)
RobertM320 wrote:I will say that our receivers should spend some time watching film of Navy's receivers. There were numerous pitch plays that could have gone for big yardage if our receivers hold their block longer, but the tackle was made by the DB getting loose from the WR.
Our pitches were so deep that by the time the runner got the ball and turned it up tha DB had come off the block. Without holding the WR will have difficulty staving off the DB.
I saw more than a few where the WR didn't even get a hand on the DB
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Lot's of complaining from the posters who predicted that we win 3 or 4 games this year. I've still got us at 6 wins this year. We've had two close losses to 3-0 teams (11pts total). I'd trade that any day against the Toledo and CJ years. If you guys can't see improvement from the last two regimes then you have an agenda.

One area for improvement from tonight's loss was the Tulane penalties. The drive in Q4 where we needed to capitalize on our 1pt lead was killed by the Leglue holding penalty and the Taylor personal foul. I hope Fritz addresses this because Taylor had several of those last year. We get a drive going there without those penalties and we potentially win the game.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
RobertM320
Green Wave

Just to put a little perspective on this game, and the next few weeks. We're ranked #103 on the Massey composite before this week. Wake Forest was #68, Navy was #39. Our next 3 opponents are ULL #112, UMass #118, and UCF #110. If we play the way we have so far, we'll be 4-2 by the end of this stretch. Navy is a much, much better team than a lot of you are giving them credit for. The ability to close out and win games comes from experience.

Before this year is out, we're going to win a game that we didn't figure to win before the season started. It almost happened tonight.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
wavemania
Surge

Without a passing game, it will be hard for Tulane to win many more games. We may be in most because of the great defensive players we have. But the D is not coached as wll as last year. Should have kept Lionel in some capacity. Brantley would make one heck of a RB, but if he cant get his passes down, he will be another Qb like Brandon Harris.
Jaxwave
Swell

How in the world are we going to attract WRs?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:How in the world are we going to attract WRs?
No shot
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

wavemania wrote:Without a passing game, it will be hard for Tulane to win many more games. We may be in most because of the great defensive players we have. But the D is not coached as wll as last year. Should have kept Lionel in some capacity. Brantley would make one heck of a RB, but if he cant get his passes down, he will be another Qb like Brandon Harris.
Yes. Teams will press with 9 in the box.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote:;)
I said that same thing.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavetrader wrote:Lot's of complaining from the posters who predicted that we win 3 or 4 games this year. I've still got us at 6 wins this year. We've had two close losses to 3-0 teams (11pts total). I'd trade that any day against the Toledo and CJ years. If you guys can't see improvement from the last two regimes then you have an agenda.

One area for improvement from tonight's loss was the Tulane penalties. The drive in Q4 where we needed to capitalize on our 1pt lead was killed by the Leglue holding penalty and the Taylor personal foul. I hope Fritz addresses this because Taylor had several of those last year. We get a drive going there without those penalties and we potentially win the game.
Yep. We should be 3-0. It sucks that we were not far from having either Lindsay Scott or Tanner Lee at QB, and if Scott is what people say we'd surely be 3-0.

Fritz said this is the first time in 240 games where he lost with a +2 turnover advantage. 21 yards passing on 12 attempts.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
No shot
Fritz was able to get multiple high-3-star WRs to commit at GSU. We're not recruiting well at any position.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Some of you guys sound ridiculous. Especially wave97 saying we need a new DC and that Washington and Rollins did a better job than this
Show Me
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No shot
Fritz was able to get multiple high-3-star WRs to commit at GSU. We're not recruiting well at any position.
Must be Yulman. :lol:
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Speaks wisdom does Profound Wizard. Yoda 2016.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
Jaxwave
Swell

I hate this offense. We have no QB on campus that can throw the ball. I will try to remain patient to see whether Fritz can get a dual threat QB and add passing to this offense.
I agree that OC made a serious mistake throwing on 1st down on our last offensive series.
Also very disappointed in 2 pt conversion defense. Navy ran the same play that every team in the world runs and we had no one assigned to the guy who caught the pass.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No shot
It might be.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:I hate this offense. We have no QB on campus that can throw the ball. I will try to remain patient to see whether Fritz can get a dual threat QB and add passing to this offense.
I agree that OC made a serious mistake throwing on 1st down on our last offensive series.
Also very disappointed in 2 pt conversion defense. Navy ran the same play that every team in the world runs and we had no one assigned to the guy who caught the pass.
Yes because if he couldn't recruit his QB in having about a month from accepting the job to signing day then there must be no hope. :roll:
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Show Me wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
No shot
It might be.
If you win..... they will come....
Jaxwave
Swell

Jonathan, comprehend my third sentence where I say I will give him a chance to recruit a dual threat QB.