Will Wallace chooses Tulane!

Talk about the latest recruits here.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Will Wallace of Cathedral High in Miss has committed to Tulane

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1vAxRLPkbrPGl

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

DE/TE rated a high 3 star by 247 .8700 #18 SDE in Nation

Best commit we've gotten under Fritz.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
OUG
Riptide

How many players have we ever had from a high school who was also the Green Wave?

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2980595/572 ... 5d90e4db05

This kid looks like a real talent on his Hudl. He is big and athletic. He has real fluid movement and the perfect frame to be a really good DE. I understand the desire to play someone with that athleticism at TE, with the way offenses are using athletic TE's now. But I think he'd be a great pass rusher in a few years too, and ultimately I think that's more important to a team. But he can definitely play either position at the FBS level. Truly surprised he did not get more offers.

With a good senior year, I wouldn't be surprised if some an Ole Miss or MSU tries to swoop in late.

http://247sports.com/Player/Will-Wallace-89532
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG, you're right, he looks like a monster on D! He could follow some pretty good players we've developed at DE. I'm sure Coach Fritz will put him where his talents are best utilized after seeing him practice.

Welcome aboard Mr. Wallace.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

'bout damn time we had a nice pickup like this!
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Man, its sucks not to be a P5 school. If you take a look at his twitter feed, he's got a screenshot of his ranking as the #18 DE in the nation. His 247 ranking was 3-stars 0.8700

If you look at him under Tulane's list of commits, it has him now at 3-stars 0.8159.

A drop of .055 is a lot. So what gives?
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

What an awesome pick-up. Definitely looks college ready. Roll Wave!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:Man, its sucks not to be a P5 school. If you take a look at his twitter feed, he's got a screenshot of his ranking as the #18 DE in the nation. His 247 ranking was 3-stars 0.8700

If you look at him under Tulane's list of commits, it has him now at 3-stars 0.8159.

The first is his 247 rating, the second is his composite. His 247 rating still shows 87 and 21st SDE in the country. Two spots higher than LSU's SDE commit.

This is a good pickup.
nawlinspete
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Man, its sucks not to be a P5 school. If you take a look at his twitter feed, he's got a screenshot of his ranking as the #18 DE in the nation. His 247 ranking was 3-stars 0.8700

We all know how The ESPN Effect works. Unless a young man commits to one of their "pets" that young man is downgraded by the 'rating service' to continue in Donald Duck's and Pluto's good graces. The 'ratings services' are essentially a popularity poll aimed at huge enrollments, and alumni bases, pandering for subscriber fees. Not exactly rocket science.

Welcome Mr Wallace.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:DE/TE rated a high 3 star by 247 .8700 #18 SDE in Nation

We'll see about that, but I hope you are right.
The star gazers are coming out!
IMO, he has OL written all over him.
FWIW: I said the same thing about Charles Jones, so much for my take...
Last edited by wave97 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Welcome aboard ! Good pick up.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97 wrote:

What do you mean, we'll see about that? At .8700 rated by 247, he IS the best commit we've gotten so far. Now, whether he signs in Feb is another story. I've been following him for awhile, and I think he's a pretty solid commit. There are some big schools interested, though they hadn't offered him yet. Florida State, Ole Miss, Nebraska among others.
RobertM320
Green Wave

wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
wave97 wrote:

What do you mean, we'll see about that? At .8700 rated by 247, he IS the best commit we've gotten so far. Now, whether he signs in Feb is another story. I've been following him for awhile, and I think he's a pretty solid commit. There are some big schools interested, though they hadn't offered him yet. Florida State, Ole Miss, Nebraska among others.
He might as well be playing among Lilliputians on the Hudl tape. He's rangy with OK speed & his feet have a hard time keeping up with his body. He doesn't drive thru at the point of contact, whether it is taking on an o-lineman or tackling the ball carrier.Just me nitpicking & I really hope that I am wrong!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Don't forget, those films are from his junior year. He's got a whole senior year to get better.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Guerry tweeted that we recruited him as a TE.
OUG
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Guerry tweeted that we recruited him as a TE.
Guerry's wrong. We recruited him as both, and he said so in his announcement; saying the coaches will decide when he gets here.
OUG
Riptide

wave97 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
wave97 wrote:

He might as well be playing among Lilliputians on the Hudl tape. He's rangy with OK speed & his feet have a hard time keeping up with his body. He doesn't drive thru at the point of contact, whether it is taking on an o-lineman or tackling the ball carrier.Just me nitpicking & I really hope that I am wrong!
I agree that the quality of opposition makes him look better on tape than he would be at the FBS level, but the reason I view him as having great DE potential is how well he moves for his size after he penetrates the backfield (e.g., after he smokes the midget in front of him). He looks very smooth in pursuit to me, and looks high energy. He looks like the kind of guy who you could put weight on and would carry it well.

Let me put it this way: He is basically the same size as JJ Watt in High School (Watt was listed at 6'5 220, Wallace is listed at 6'5" 240 but you can take that 240 with a grain of salt). Watt was a two-star guy with a low P5 offer or two and some local G5 interest. He signed with Central Michigan. Actually, his recruiting tape looks a lot like Wallace's (see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rq92cP6ZA ).

Central Michigan wanted Watt to play TE, and Watt wanted to play TE. He thought he would catch lots of TD's. He ended up with 8 catches for 77 yards as a freshman, and then they wanted to move him to OL. He decided instead to forgo his scholarship and walk-on at Wisconsin. He took a redshirt year and developed his body for the DE position. The rest is history.

Am I saying that Wallace is the next JJ Watt? No, of course not. But I think I see a player that would make a better DE than a TE, and a lot of it is that I just think he moves well. But of course some of it is attitude (admittedly, that is more subjective).

Let's let his senior year develop and get him on campus, and see where we think he can make the most impact.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Aren't TEs in this offense basically an extra OT?
Jaxwave
Swell

Freeeeedoooommmm!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote:How many players have we ever had from a high school who was also the Green Wave?

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2980595/572 ... 5d90e4db05

This kid looks like a real talent on his Hudl. He is big and athletic. He has real fluid movement and the perfect frame to be a really good DE. I understand the desire to play someone with that athleticism at TE, with the way offenses are using athletic TE's now. But I think he'd be a great pass rusher in a few years too, and ultimately I think that's more important to a team. But he can definitely play either position at the FBS level. Truly surprised he did not get more offers.

With a good senior year, I wouldn't be surprised if some an Ole Miss or MSU tries to swoop in late.

http://247sports.com/Player/Will-Wallace-89532
Quite a few schools use the name Green Wave
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 1_mAPkitBg
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

247 rated him as one of the top 20 DE in the nation, not one of the top 20 TE's in the nation. So wouldn't you want to play to his strengths?
Eaglewave
Swell

Very nice pick up.
Ball Sumrall!
RobertM320
Green Wave

A few highlights from Will's first game of the season. Two QB sacks, a forced fumble and a 20 yard TD reception.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2980595/57c ... 62f41d30cb
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: I agree that the quality of opposition makes him look better on tape than he would be at the FBS level, but the reason I view him as having great DE potential is how well he moves for his size after he penetrates the backfield (e.g., after he smokes the midget in front of him). He looks very smooth in pursuit to me, and looks high energy. He looks like the kind of guy who you could put weight on and would carry it well.

Let me put it this way: He is basically the same size as JJ Watt in High School (Watt was listed at 6'5 220, Wallace is listed at 6'5" 240 but you can take that 240 with a grain of salt). Watt was a two-star guy with a low P5 offer or two and some local G5 interest. He signed with Central Michigan. Actually, his recruiting tape looks a lot like Wallace's (see link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rq92cP6ZA ).

Central Michigan wanted Watt to play TE, and Watt wanted to play TE. He thought he would catch lots of TD's. He ended up with 8 catches for 77 yards as a freshman, and then they wanted to move him to OL. He decided instead to forgo his scholarship and walk-on at Wisconsin. He took a redshirt year and developed his body for the DE position. The rest is history.

Am I saying that Wallace is the next JJ Watt? No, of course not. But I think I see a player that would make a better DE than a TE, and a lot of it is that I just think he moves well. But of course some of it is attitude (admittedly, that is more subjective).

Let's let his senior year develop and get him on campus, and see where we think he can make the most impact.
I agree 100% OUG. The way he moves just looks like "a natural" at DE. Coach Fritz will put him where he's best suited, I sure hope it's not OL. I'd like to see him play 90% of his career at DE, and have a few goal line plays where he blocks and is an eligible TE.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V