Steve Gleason statue

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RWR
Swell

Thanks-great shot.
msdos
Swell

Payton wasn't even allowed near the team for something like this?

Seems a bit harsh
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

msdos wrote:Payton wasn't even allowed near the team for something like this?

Seems a bit harsh
Actually he was allowed, but somehow was expected not to talk to any of the players. So he decided to stay away because he didn't want to be the focus of the presentation.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Saw the tweet by Dannen or Fear The Wave (not sure which) about Tulane Football team going to the movie "Gleason". Did a quick search, and found the
http://www.gleasonmovie.com website. Watched the trailers, and read a few reviews, by all accounts this is one of the best documentaries ever. Unfortunately, it's not playing anywhere near me, but I'm going to buy it through Amazon (who produced it.)

I highly recommend that anyone that can see it on the big screen do so; this is a movie about life, parenting, and heros. Steve Gleason is one of mine.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:Saw the tweet by Dannen or Fear The Wave (not sure which) about Tulane Football team going to the movie "Gleason". Did a quick search, and found the
http://www.gleasonmovie.com website. Watched the trailers, and read a few reviews, by all accounts this is one of the best documentaries ever. Unfortunately, it's not playing anywhere near me, but I'm going to buy it through Amazon (who produced it.)

I highly recommend that anyone that can see it on the big screen do so; this is a movie about life, parenting, and heros. Steve Gleason is one of mine.
I was unable to find a way to buy the movie, and then forgot about it until earlier today. I happened to stumble upon the movie with my Amazon Prime membership. It's a free stream for Prime members. Well worth watching, but be ready to shed a few tears. What a man!
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Saw the tweet by Dannen or Fear The Wave (not sure which) about Tulane Football team going to the movie "Gleason". Did a quick search, and found the

I saw it and it was excellent. His father in law Paul Varisco is a co-owner of Mr. John's with Desi Vega. I go to lunch there with a group of Jesuit classmates every other month and have gotten to know Paul. Paul’s daughter (Steve’s wife) is a true Saint as well. After watching the movie you realize how much of her life she gives to Steve. It’s a no greater sacrifice and struggle. That’s what I took from the movie. Steve, his wife and son make many of the Tulane Baseball games. He’s sits in his wheelchair right behind home plate every time. What an inspiration!
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I was fortunate enough to meet Steve in early 2007, before he was diagnosed with ALS. He came into my store one day. He was one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Almost embarrassed by his celebrity status. This was after the block, so of course we all knew who he was. Took the time to chat with us for awhile. Just an all around nice guy.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson