Commisioner Mike Aresco Interview / AAC stadium size

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This is from late last week. He really wants to take on the P5 with the AAC becoming the P6th.

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/mikear ... caaissues/

You can skip the first 1:40 as it has nothing to do with the AAC. Aresco brings up some big points, particularly with regard to the AAC Champ beating the Big 12 Champ convincingly in the Fiesta Bowl, and the two national championships in Mens and Womens Basketball. It will be interesting to see if all members of the AAC want to match the P5 with the forthcoming spending increases on scholarship players. Will they approve family transportation to games? If so, think of CJ's local recruiting, and thank the heavens for Louisiana football talent!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jonathan
Riptide

I listened to his interview before the claim bake on the AAC website. He talked about East Carolina Tulsa but said zero about Tulane and our program,coach and AD. He is a douche bag in my humble personal opinion.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:I listened to his interview before the claim bake on the AAC website. He talked about East Carolina Tulsa but said zero about Tulane and our program,coach and AD. He is a douche bag in my humble personal opinion.
I guess Mike took his parents advice.."if you do not have anything good to say...don't say anything at all"....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:I listened to his interview before the claim bake on the AAC website. He talked about East Carolina Tulsa but said zero about Tulane and our program,coach and AD. He is a douche bag in my humble personal opinion.
He mentioned Tulane early on, then didn't say anything about Tulane. This interview was from South Florida. It wasn't about Tulane. It wasn't about any school. It was all about the changing landscape of NCAA D1, and what he's doing to try to keep the AAC in the realm of the "haves". Aresco is our best chance of getting to a power conference. And it's funny, the AAC Conference Talk site there's a thread on there about this topic. Many think the conference will merge with the MWC, taking the best of both. And a whole lot of AAC fans feel Tulane would be left on the outside looking in.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jonathan
Post subject: Re: SMU Recruit Opts to Skip College for Overseas Pro League Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Replies: 24
Views: 189

We are all Tulane fans on this board and thread. Let us discontinue with inappropriate language like troll,jack-ss,you suck,BS,etc. etc. Let us be civil to each other when we disagree and act like Tulane gentleman!
God Bless Everyone!
lurker123
Swell

Separately I do think Aresco is the best conference commissioner Tulane has had since Slive in the earlier days of CUSA. Let's just say Slive has done ok as SEC Commissioner post-CUSA.

Although a longish shot Aresco's plan to make AAC the P6 conference is achievable and is more likely than Tulane joining the Big 12 (another longish shot but not a pipe dream either.)
Jonathan
Riptide

I listened to the Aresco video on the AAC website interview before the claim bake. He talked about East Carolina and Tulsa but said nothing about Tulane. Am I wrong? Is this guy Delusional?
JerseyWave
Riptide

Tulane is going to have to earn respect in this league and that will be difficult to do with Dickson and Conroy still employed. CJ getting his team to a bowl game this year will be a good start.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:Tulane is going to have to earn respect in this league and that will be difficult to do with Dickson and Conroy still employed. CJ getting his team to a bowl game this year will be a good start.
This.

But having Aresco leading the charge is still the best thing Tulane athletics has had going for it in quite some time.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Tulane is going to have to earn respect in this league and that will be difficult to do with Dickson and Conroy still employed. CJ getting his team to a bowl game this year will be a good start.
Something to think about: TU, in the entire history of the program, has only one instance ever of back-to-back bowl appearance seasons -- 1979-80.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fred Dowler wrote:
Something to think about: TU, in the entire history of the program, has only one instance ever of back-to-back bowl appearance seasons -- 1979-80.
Yeah but that's not relevant. Never before in the history of D1A athletics has success been worth many hundreds of millions of dollars. All of a sudden Tulane's historical indifference towards athletics has changed from a philosophical decision to a mission critical decision.
Jonathan
Riptide

Who gives a damn what he says. Do we have anything better to do with our time on this board than fixate on this thread!
sader24
Tsunami

Jonathan I think you've lost it.
OUG
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Who gives a damn what he says. Do we have anything better to do with our time on this board than fixate on this thread!
Yeah, we could be spending our time obsessing over ULL, ULL's scoreboard, ULL's name, ULL's fans and what they think of us, ULL's academic ranking, etc.

Let's get started on what matters!
Bigschtick
Riptide

[quote="Jonathan"]I listened to his interview before the claim bake on the AAC website. He talked about East Carolina Tulsa but said zero about Tulane and our program,coach and AD. He is a douche bag in my humble personal opinion.[/quote

What the hell is wrong with you? I suspect senility is the leading cause of your non-sensical posts.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jonathan wrote:Who gives a damn what he says. Do we have anything better to do with our time on this board than fixate on this thread!
Why even click into the thread if you don't give a hoot about what Aresco says?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Just interviewed on XM Radio, Aresco says any new AAC stadium must be at least 35,000 - 40,000 or it would be a waste; agreeing that Temple would be better off in a half full pro stadium than in an on campus of less than 35,000, even though a half full pro doesn't look or feel right.

Guess egomaniac Cowen had the world tuned out in accordance with his belief that only he, Cowen, knows the truth.
Last edited by nawlinspete on Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:Just interviewed on XM Radio, Aresco says any new AAC stadium must be at least 35,000 - 40,000 or it would be a waste; agreeing that Temple would be better off in a half full pro stadium than in an on campus of less than 35,000, even though a half full pro doesn't look or feel right.

Guess egomaniac Cowen had the world tuned out in accordance with his belief that only he, Cowen, knows the truth.
If true, that comment could be a smoking gun with regards to accountability.
Jaxwave
Swell

Wii, duh! Unfrigginbelievable. When has Tulane ever not shot themselves in the foot when it comes to athletics.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:Wii, duh! Unfrigginbelievable. When has Tulane ever not shot themselves in the foot when it comes to athletics.
I am wondering or inquiring how many more shots the Feet can take...then again, Tulane may have recyclable Prosthetics !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sorry, but Aresco, whom I really like, is speaking out of his ass on this. He's saying this from a position of a Commissioner that wants his conference recognized as a P6 conference, not as an alumnus, fan, or Athletic Director or President of a University. Most University Presidents and Alumni want to be on campus. Half full NFL stadiums don't create the atmosphere of being on campus.

I hate that our stadium is so small on the NIMBY side. It looks like crap. It's a big time downer on the program, and I would love to simply flip the bird to the NIMBY's and build a very tall and steep deck above that side making Yulman one of the best home field advantages in D1 with our fans on top of the field. But despite the warts, which must be fixable, I prefer on campus to the sterile environment of the Superdome, where the Wave played when I was an undergrad.

Temple would much rather be on campus than in a state of the art NFL stadium. They have NIMBY issues of their own.

Rutgers had a state of the art and soon to be rebuilt newer state of the art NFL Stadium at it's disposal practically rent free and they spent the $$ to build on campus, all of 15 miles from the Meadowlands.

On campus is clearly preferable for college football. And those of you that argue for the Superdome are the same ones that tell us the Saints IPF isn't good enough. C'mon man, that's BS.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Nobody ever said the saints IPF isn't good enough. However we have aleady lost one practice to weather b/c we didn't have access and another time that we wanted to practice there it was being used for another event. It also is another needed facility for recruiting purposes. Recruits want to see it right on campus. Players often work after hours on their own and they work on their own in the summer. They want to know it's available all the time so that weather doesn't cost them a workout. The Football operations boom has put that facility first but it is foolish to think we don't need our own IPF. We all know how trying to skate by has played out for Tulane football.

As for on campus yes it's preferable . However when it is so high schoolish that it cost you any chance at decent recruits the alternative is much better. One can't complain about recruiting but then stomp their foot and say well I don't care that the stadium sucks I want it on campus.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote:Wii, duh! Unfrigginbelievable. When has Tulane ever not shot themselves in the foot when it comes to athletics.
Even leaving the SEC was a defensible position. Sure it turned out to be a disaster and sure it was terrible logic, but at least you could argue that they were expecting a different outcome.

This is different. This is an $80M long term capital project. You can't justify the decision given what Aresco says is expected for the conference. Knowing the mininum acceptable conference stadium expectations should be a reasonable legal definition of "caring". Meanwhile there are financial concerns as well.

And now we are pitching the Big12 on using the Dome. There should be legal accountability for this. Disgusting.
glennc
Low Tide

I told you from the beginning that dickson built us a high school stadium. Aresco is just saying what needs to be said. By the way, what is capacity at our high school stadium. Is it true that it is not even 30,000. dickson and cowen did all this with the blessing of the Tulane Board so they should get the blame also. Did any of them ever say why they stuck with dickson all these years. Let, be blunt, Dickson , Cowen and the whole Tulane board is a bunch of imcompetent idiots.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

glenn- It seats 22,660. Both decks hold 200 each so that's just above 23k. The place is so tight you could maybe squeeze in another 1,000. So 24 k would be your best football capacity.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.