Baseball Coaching Search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

I think we should pounce on Andy. Its all about timing. The stars might not align again. On the field, he's ready. RJ can consult with the non baseball Tulane bullsh**. I dont think we should let him slip away to somewhere we COULDN'T get him away from. Let's do it.

Highwave
Low Tide

I will stop short of saying that Cannizaro would be a bad hire, but he is not a known quantity in terms of the level of success he would bring to TU as a HC. THose of you saying he should be hired without a search have severely low expectations, i.e. you don't appreciate the Dannen era yet.
greenie78
Riptide

Being a double alum of USA and Tulane, I'm not super impressed with Calvi. He's done well overall. I'm also not sold on AC; Want to see someone who's a proven winner like Pierce was when he was hired even if they do leave after a couple of seasons. If you wanna crown his ass, then crown him.
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Don't think Jeremy Montalbano is too happy with Pierce as probably many other players feel the same way. I know more money is involved but Pierce had ZERO loyalty!!!!
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

If Winwave says we should hire Cannizaro them I'm all for it. Advisory Committee clout says it all!!! How are your seats behind Home Plate .....no more bitching about things?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Andy has a brilliant baseball IQ. Top 99%. He's thinking 3 batters ahead on every pitch. He has massive respect in the coaching business. He was a MLB scout that has connections and knows talent. He's perhaps the greatest player to ever wear a Tulane uniform. He bleeds green. Had LSU not pounced on him he was going to coach at TCU. Even the LSU fan base gives AC the credit with this past season. Most of those freshmen were Andy's guys. It's a Grand Slam for Dannen should he land Andy. It's a no brainer to have him at the top of your list.

Matt Riser would be my second choice
If you want to go national then:
Andrew Checketts from UCSB
Then some assistants from bigger schools. TCU, Texas. Etc.
As of today the entire coaching staff has resigned so we need someone quick to hold onto the current recruits.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
JerseyWave
Riptide

There was rumblings that Pierce would be Wayne Graham's successor from time he got to Tulane. Tulane was never going to be Pierce's forever job. Judging by Dannen's track record at Tulane, he brings in coaches with extensive Head Coaching experience, so Cannizarro might not be a candidate this time around. (Fritz, Dunleavy, Barnes)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave wrote:There was rumblings that Pierce would be Wayne Graham's successor from time he got to Tulane. Tulane was never going to be Pierce's forever job. Judging by Dannen's track record at Tulane, he brings in coaches with extensive Head Coaching experience, so Cannizarro might not be a candidate this time around. (Fritz, Dunleavy, Barnes)
There's a big difference. You'll only get this one chance to get Andy. You have an assistant coach that will be available to us in this small window of time. I have no doubt if we pass on Andy he will go on somewhere else as a head coach (probably a P5 program) and build a program like Jones did here and Schloss has done at TCU.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

For what it's worth, Aaron Fitt twitter: If I'm #Tulane, my 1st call is to #LSU assistant Andy Cannizaro - recruiting dynamo, talented hitting coach, Tulane alum. Dream job for him
Kendall Rogers
‏@KendallRogersD1
#Tulane will do an exhaustive search for a new head coach, but I would look extremely hard at @LSUbaseball’s Andy Cannizaro. Not hard.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenphantom
Swell

Hire Tanner Lee Now!!!
chain gang x man
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:There was rumblings that Pierce would be Wayne Graham's successor from time he got to Tulane. Tulane was never going to be Pierce's forever job. Judging by Dannen's track record at Tulane, he brings in coaches with extensive Head Coaching experience, so Cannizarro might not be a candidate this time around. (Fritz, Dunleavy, Barnes)
There's a big difference. You'll only get this one chance to get Andy. You have an assistant coach that will be available to us in this small window of time. I have no doubt if we pass on Andy he will go on somewhere else as a head coach (probably a P5 program) and build a program like Jones did here and Schloss has done at TCU.
Every Head Coach was an assistant coach before someone gave them an opportunity to be a Head Coach
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

For those that think AC needs to be a head coach first just look what Blake Dean and Matt Riser and others have done as rookie coaches. Compare those resources to what we have at Tulane. Andy will be no different. The problem is that if he's not hired here this time around there won't be a second chance. He'll get a P5 job and never look back.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:For those that think AC needs to be a head coach first just look what Blake Dean and Matt Riser and others have done as rookie coaches. Compare those resources to what we have at Tulane. Andy will be no different. The problem is that if he's not hired here this time around there won't be a second chance. He'll get a P5 job and never look back.

As that wise Chinese proverb once said, or was it TPS wearing his letter sweater..."one cannot gain head coach experience, until someone hires you to be the head coach"...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Highwave
Low Tide

If Tulane is AC's dream job, we will get another shot at him. Hell, if he thinks TU should be a national power, he should expect not to get first dibs on the job. Let him get some HC experience. TU should not be in the business of grooming HCs- especially not in baseball.

I don't understand the urgency to hire Cannizaro away from LSU for any other position than the same one he is coaching in now.

If we hire him, I will hope for the best and maybe it'll work out for the best. It is far from a sure thing though at this point in his career. Btw, can anyone name an unproven young assistant coach who has been hired by a major baseball program in the last 10 years?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Highwave wrote:If Tulane is AC's dream job, we will get another shot at him. Hell, if he thinks TU should be a national power, he should expect not to get first dibs on the job. Let him get some HC experience. TU should not be in the business of grooming HCs- especially not in baseball.

I don't understand the urgency to hire Cannizaro away from LSU for any other position than the same one he is coaching in now.

If we hire him, I will hope for the best and maybe it'll work out for the best. It is far from a sure thing though at this point in his career. Btw, can anyone name an unproven young assistant coach who has been hired by a major baseball program in the last 10 years?
Andy is 6 years older than Riser. His baseball path led him to the MLB where he spent years as a player and scout otherwise he'd already have 10 or more years as an assistant. Mainieri hired him on the spot based on an hour conversation at an awards ceremony it wasn't even a formal interview. He has a brilliant baseball mind. It's a no brainer hire IMO. And no he will not be available again. Tulane won't be able to afford him. He's not going the UNO or La Tech route. He already makes more than those head coaches. He'll get a P5 job at the very least.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

There's a level of risk attached to AC, as he's never been head coach.
But there is a ton of upside. A risk we need to take. I want to win a NC. He's our shot at it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:There's a level of risk attached to AC, as he's never been head coach.
But there is a ton of upside. A risk we need to take. I want to win a NC. He's our shot at it.
The risk is not hiring him now while we have the chance.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

The current head coach of the team playing tonight for the national championship was never even involved with a D1 team prior to getting his head coaching job at his current School that he has been with for 20 years.
He was a major league Scout for the Seattle Mariners and Cleveland Indians and coached at USC - Aiken
Highwave
Low Tide

dpm wave wrote:The current head coach of the team playing tonight for the national championship was never even involved with a D1 team prior to getting his head coaching job at his current School that he has been with for 20 years.
He was a major league Scout for the Seattle Mariners and Cleveland Indians and coached at USC - Aiken
He was a head coach at USC-Aiken for 6 years before taking the job at Coastal Carolina. Also, he had 2 losing seasons to start that 20 yr run.

If Dannen interviews attainable HCs like Heefner, Deggs, etc and Cannizaro is still determined to be the can't miss hire, I'm all for it. Blindly picking Cannizaro would be a mistake.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Skip Bertman had never been a head coach before LSU. His coaching was limited to HS in Miami before going to UM as an assistant. LSU then hired Smoke to replace Skip because the so called experts wanted a guy with head coaching experience (they were too big now to hire an assistant). Lol.
Tulane Class of 1981
Highwave
Low Tide

tpstulane wrote:Skip Bertman had never been a head coach before LSU. His coaching was limited to HS in Miami before going to UM as an assistant. LSU then hired Smoke because they wanted a guy with head coaching experience. Lol.
Are you suggesting that college baseball today is comparable to college baseball in the 1980s?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Highwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Skip Bertman had never been a head coach before LSU. His coaching was limited to HS in Miami before going to UM as an assistant. LSU then hired Smoke because they wanted a guy with head coaching experience. Lol.
Are you suggesting that college baseball today is comparable to college baseball in the 1970s?
Nope. A great baseball IQ is a great baseball IQ regardless of the level.
Tulane Class of 1981
Highwave
Low Tide

If Dannen shares your logic, then I sure hope you're both right. His inexperience as a coach in any capacity worries me. Out of curiosity, was he interviewed at Alabama?
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:There's a level of risk attached to AC, as he's never been head coach.
The risk is not hiring him now while we have the chance.
Get off your soapbox wanna be AD tps.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .