Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

puffy wrote:Anyone know if Shammond Williams is under consideration for one of the remaining assistant spots?

Good question. I would have thought we would have heard by now. Hope he is retained.

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote:
puffy wrote:Anyone know if Shammond Williams is under consideration for one of the remaining assistant spots?

Good question. I would have thought we would have heard by now. Hope he is retained.
With the new Associate Head Coach having significant AAU connections believe we would be best served with Coach Dunleavy starting with all new assistants.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DrBox
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote:

The other coach (name escapes me) did a lot of recruiting as well....signed more players than Williams, I believe.
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:Did he visit Starwood? Is he still coming to town?
By my count, 4 players left (Lou, Oset, Jarreau, Mack), plus we were already short one (Nichols). Signed 3, which leaves 2 openings. If Starwood doesn't come, we have 3 slots.
He went to visit a player in California and one in Houston. He said both flights were delayed. One by Obama and one due to mechanical problems. In fact the mechanical issue caused him to have to stay overnight and catch a plane the next day.
I don't remember him mentioning names.
He visited both signees in California, right? That's why I wondered about Starwood....he's a signee as well and I just wondered if CMD visited him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:

The other coach (name escapes me) did a lot of recruiting as well....signed more players than Williams, I believe.
Quannas White is the other assistant.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Bigschtick wrote:

Quannas White is the other assistant.
"...WAS ...."
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:Did he visit Starwood? Is he still coming to town?
By my count, 4 players left (Lou, Oset, Jarreau, Mack), plus we were already short one (Nichols). Signed 3, which leaves 2 openings. If Starwood doesn't come, we have 3 slots.
He went to visit a player in California and one in Houston. He said both flights were delayed. One by Obama and one due to mechanical problems. In fact the mechanical issue caused him to have to stay overnight and catch a plane the next day.
I don't remember him mentioning names.
He visited both signees in California, right? That's why I wondered about Starwood....he's a signee as well and I just wondered if CMD visited him.
According to what I've read, we only had one SIGNED recruit, (PG Justin Moore) and 2 verbal commitments (PG Slater and PF Starwood). Not sure how binding a LOI or verbal commitment is when it was for a coach whom is no longer there. Someone with better knowledge of the recruiting/commitment rules please step up.

Edit: I just read where ESPN had all three listed as signed. Not sure which site is more accurate, but hope they all come and Coach Dunleavy finds two other talented players to join the Wave.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

According to this, all 3 are signed: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/ ... class/2016

Here's a 247 ranking of california recruits.
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Basket ... s?State=CA
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:According to this, all 3 are signed: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/ ... class/2016

Doc, you posted about the same time I edited! We were probably looking at the same ESPN Web page at the same time!

Roll Wave!
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:According to this, all 3 are signed: http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/ ... class/2016

That list of recruits is interesting. Not only do we have two of the top 25 in the state of California, our new associate head coach's former school Nevada has two. No other schools outside of CA have more than one. Wonder how much input he had into those signings?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope our new staff starts recruiting the big (mostly post grad) prep schools throughout the country. I cannot remember when we last signed someone from one of these powerhouses.

http://www.powerbasketball.com/110503a.html#
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:I hope our new staff starts recruiting the big (mostly post grad) prep schools throughout the country. I cannot remember when we last signed someone from one of these powerhouses.

http://www.powerbasketball.com/110503a.html#
The list looks very regionalized....majority in the Northeast, a few on the East coast and Mid-West.... I am not a "prep school junkie"...can anyone give us a few names who made big differences when going to the NCAA level ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

Prep School: an ex BIG player for Conroy, G. Fironias (forgot his last name), came from the Hun School in NJ.
I thought he was a great shooter and Conroy never gave him minutes to play and develop.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Here's a great article about how certain prep schools have become the hotbed for basketball talent. It's no secret, they're giving kids that might not qualify academically two more semesters of High School to bring their academics and ability to succeed academically up to eligibility. They also benefit by growing a year older without using a redshirt or any of their 5 years of eligibility. The article focuses on Brewster Academy, which at the time had the #1 Prep School team in the country.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/arti ... asketball/
Boarding schools have long offered a postgraduate year, typically to wealthy teenagers seeking atonement for scholastic sins. It is a valuable way for students to bring up their GPA and improve their chances of getting into college. For athletes, the promise is twofold. They have a chance to boost their grades with two more semesters of high school—and also an extra year to be recruited by top college basketball programs. Furthermore, for players who feel they want extra time to hone their game and lift weights, a postgrad year serves effectively as a red-shirt year, because it does not start a player’s NCAA eligibility clock the way junior college does. Currently at Brewster, nine out of 15 players are in their fifth year of high school, either as postgrads or reclassified seniors. The NEPSAC talent pool has never been deeper. “There’s an old expression: If you’re the best player at your playground, you need to find a new playground,” says John Carroll, head coach at Northfield Mount Hermon. “I think our league is the top playground in the country.”
These days, Smith (Brewster Academy's coach) receives more than 800 inquiries a year from players and their parents hoping to land a spot on his team. As a result, he hasn’t traveled to a summer league event for high school prospects in five years. There’s no longer any need. “Bigtime players see other bigtime players go up and have it work out for them,” says Eric Bossi, the national basketball analyst for Rivals.com. “It becomes pretty easy to sell [Brewster] to those types of guys.”
Houma de Wave
Swell

Consider this hire, Mike Dunleavy, by Troy Dannen: Veteran coach excited to be in New Orleans and getting to work to build a program. Consider the "what if it had been Chris Beard," former Little Rock coach, hired by UNLV and now talking with Texas Tech since Tubby Smith left for Memphis. Glad it's not us.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote:Consider this hire, Mike Dunleavy, by Troy Dannen: Veteran coach excited to be in New Orleans and getting to work to build a program. Consider the "what if it had been Chris Beard," former Little Rock coach, hired by UNLV and now talking with Texas Tech since Tubby Smith left for Memphis. Glad it's not us.
Excellent point, Houma.

But which immediate graduate transfers is Coach Dunleavy pursuing ? Who will fill oput the coaching staff ? Who are the two open scholarships players Coach Dunleavy wants?

And what kind of OOC schedule is AD Dannen setting up in addition to the previously announced San Juan Tip - Off, North Carolina Georgia Tech ?
alumniwave
Low Tide

The national attention to the program is going to have a big impact in recruiting. Hearing some big prospects are interested.
puffy
Surge

So far, it's been comforting to not hear of any further (public) rumblings in regards to player transfers out of the program.

If there are indeed two scholarships left, I'm hoping they will be used to shore up the frontcourt.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Great find, golfnut!

Slater shot 49% from 3pt range (doesn't say how many attempts) and an impressive 90% at the free throw line. Do we need that or what?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

alumniwave wrote:The national attention to the program is going to have a big impact in recruiting. Hearing some big prospects are interested.
Let's just focus locally: who was the last 4/5 star player who signed with Tulane: Mouton? Almost 20 years ago? Since then most of these folks have gone to LSU with the remainder like Duhon and Monroe going out of state.

If you're a stud player in LA today with legitimate aspirations to play pro ball one day and are interested in staying near home: who do you then want as a coach to prep you for that: Johnny Jones or Mike Dunleavy?
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:It seems Coach Dunleavy is having difficulty hiring assistant coaches; let's hope because he is overwhelmed with quality potential hires rather than being unable to hire because of his stated desire to remain at Tulane for 10 or 12 years.
Considering it has been a month it appears that Coach Dunleavy, notwithstanding saying he's been overwhelmed with assistants wanting to coach with him, has in fact not been able to attract a full staff at this time. If there is a problem what is it ?

And what about the rest of the OOC games ?
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:It seems Coach Dunleavy is having difficulty hiring assistant coaches; let's hope because he is overwhelmed with quality potential hires rather than being unable to hire because of his stated desire to remain at Tulane for 10 or 12 years.
Considering it has been a month it appears that Coach Dunleavy, notwithstanding saying he's been overwhelmed with assistants wanting to coach with him, has in fact not been able to attract a full staff at this time. If there is a problem what is it ?

Jonathan/Pete you are the most negative poster ever. Keep trolling you may find a thread that already covers this.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

nawlinspete wrote:

OMG dude. "Has not been able to attract"? What you are saying is absurd on its face. Don't expect people to take you seriously if that's what you've got to contribute.

BTW, 2 members of the staff have been announced, one returning assistant and one from Nevada and both appear to be outstanding moves.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Fully aware of the two recent hires; I asked because the staff is not complete notwithstanding 'overwhelming interest.'

Any additional word on the balance of OOC games this winter ?