Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
swampnik
Surge

We had Morgan and Frazier on the roster this year as our BB 4-stars and a good back-up player in Taron Oliver (no. 1 player in D.C. area).

nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Wave QB
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
puffy wrote:http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-effort ... -dunleavy/

Not sure if this is just a written version of the video on Daniels' fb page, but this just shows that Daniels is more out of touch with the quality of high school basketball in La than Dunleavy is with coaching hoops at any level. Taking the best available 3* recruits in La is a surefire way to ensure no better than middle and lower tier finishes in the AAC.

I'll be interested in seeing how Dunleavy will fill out the rest of the roster once the dust settles with respect to transfers and 2016 commitments.
Ed's still in the "show me" court. I think once Dunleavy gets started with his staff and lands some 4's and 5's Ed will get on board.
3's aren't going to win in the AAC. Maybe CUSA but not this league.
Let's not overrate the AAC. (Which I have been guilty of doing myself). This is the Big C-USA and not the Big East. Changing the name to the American is extremely fitting. 3 stars can win with good coaching in this conference. We just watched the weakest Conroy era team make it to the semi final round. If MD can find two solid 3 star big men along with two 3 point shooters. We will easily be in the mix of the conference. I am not that worried about grabbing local recruits. I believe he will be able to find some good river parish talent, but I also believe we are going to see some east/west coast ballers coming in.
Football yes but not so for basketball. CUSA has and will always be a one bid league. AAC had 4 bids this year. And had SMU been eligible it would have made 5. Temple, UCONN and Cincy were not in CUSA. 3's are not going to beat the top of this league. There's no comparison to CUSA for basketball. Besides every game is on TV. Not even close to what CUSA had for exposure.
I am not comparing the exposure factor or bids, I am just making the point that this is not the Big East. We aren't in a conference of strangers to Tulane basketball. We know what were are up against.

We can fool ourselves if we want, but we are in a Glorified C-USA. We can win games with a good coach, and a few tools. You mark my word, if MD can get those players that I stated above, we will be in business.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The first game played in any sport in C-USA history was in football, Tulane defeated the Bearcats in Cincinnati. So yes, Cincinnati WAS in C-USA. Not only that, they were in the conference in their heyday, under Bob Huggins.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
JerseyWave
Riptide

Legendary sportswriter, John Feinstein, gave a rousing endorsement of Mike Dunleavy taking the Tulane job on his CBS radio sports minute. He talked about NBA coaches going back to college(Larry Brown, Lon Kruger, Pitino) and believes Dunleavy will have success at Tulane.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:The first game played in any sport in C-USA history was in football, Tulane defeated the Bearcats in Cincinnati. So yes, Cincinnati WAS in C-USA. Not only that, they were in the conference in their heyday, under Bob Huggins.
Yes. But I was talking about the CUSA we recently left. Cincy left 10 years ago. After they and Louisville left CUSA soon after went to a one bid league and remains so today.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Returning to Fogelman's glory:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

We all certainly want to be a part of that again. As noted above though we already have UNC at the SKC next season and the article ends by saying we want big name opponents and we want them in the SKC. No problem w/that. Anyone who has followed this program for a long time knows that when we were good enough and played in the Dome the atmosphere was electric and we certainly had the home court advantage. The Dome is a lot bigger than the SKC so it will be even more electric. Plus we can make a lot more money w/12-15k in attendance. I'd rather see us play those games in the SKC than to not be able to get those type of home games. Also if we want the Big 12 we will need to show we can put butts in seats in the SKC b/c they will want conference games played there.

Another plus to playing games there is that it will help us get ready for when we get in the tournament and have to play in big arenas in front of big crowds.

( Note: Duncan's coverage of Tulane has been better since we all called him out after his article on RD. However here he continues to buy what RD was selling w/regards to seats. He said 4,100 but the last renovation reduced it to 3,200. )
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Is there any reports about our recruits? We had two point guards, Colin Slater and Justin Moore whom had verbally committed and signed a LOI respectfully. We also had a verbal from Maxwell Starwood, a PF from Texas. Serious interest from a 6'10" thumper named Jordy Tshimonga from Canada, too.

Does Dunleavy inherit these recruits? Is he going to use his international scouts and bring in some others?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He does inherit them. There has not been any news of them backing out at this point.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Legendary sportswriter, John Feinstein, gave a rousing endorsement of Mike Dunleavy taking the Tulane job on his CBS radio sports minute. He talked about NBA coaches going back to college(Larry Brown, Lon Kruger, Pitino) and believes Dunleavy will have success at Tulane.
Feinstein is a Legend ?...I guess the his self published memo, announcing his "Legend" status, has not made here to Texas... anything he writes or verbalizes, I take with a truck load of salt ... I do not have a radio show, but I could have mentioned all of the above returning to the college ranks and it would have had the same impact...zero.... The PGA tour members have all excluded him from any voluntary access and the only interaction they will have with him is at a general press conference. The Golf channel is slowly allowing his contract to die, only allowing him the minimal minutes and agreed upon segments. His treatment of people off camera is terrible, many people refuse to work with him, or call in sick when they are assigned to his interviews. JF was contracted to do a segment here in Austin by ESPN with the hiring of Charlie Strong, they were shocked when the local ESPN radio station refused to assign any employees to his interviews...Bristol got one hell of an earful of what they really thought about his fat azz... the ESPN stations in Houston, DFW and San Antonio also refused to provide employees, so a crew from Bristol had to be flown in.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

So Golfnut, are you saying you don't care for JF? :)
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Wavetime
Swell

Have to love Dannen. This quote says it all.

“He gives immediate credibility to our program that didn’t exist yesterday,” Dannen said.
MicMan
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:Bristol got one hell of an earful of what they really thought about his fat azz...
Feinstein probably advised him to stop using 'azz' in every one of his posts because it makes him sound like an idiot.

Non one in the Tulane community cares if a media personality is a diva. All we care about is that another voice with a national platform endorsed our hire. That's called BRANDING.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:Bristol got one hell of an earful of what they really thought about his fat azz...
Feinstein probably advised him to stop using 'azz' in every one of his posts because it makes him sound like an idiot.

Non one in the Tulane community cares if a media personality is a diva. All we care about is that another voice with a national platform endorsed our hire. That's called BRANDING.
JF has not advised me.. I was using the physical description of what the ESPN affiliates called him... As far as someone with a "mike" endorsing Tulane's hire, give me Dan Patrick over JF anyday...as far as "branding" is concerned, JF does have the body and the buttocks for many brands
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
MicMan wrote:

JF has not advised me.. I was using the physical description of what the ESPN affiliates called him... As far as someone with a "mike" endorsing Tulane's hire, give me Dan Patrick over JF anyday...as far as "branding" is concerned, JF does have the body and the buttocks for many brands

golf, MicMan does have a point about the "azz" thing. Are you actually spelling it that way or is the site censoring the word "ass" for you? My senses are way more offended by the insipid corniness of "azz" than the minimally-vulgar "ass."
God Bless Everyone!
Wavetime
Swell

Wave QB wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Wave QB wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
puffy wrote:http://sportsnola.com/recruiting-effort ... -dunleavy/

Not sure if this is just a written version of the video on Daniels' fb page, but this just shows that Daniels is more out of touch with the quality of high school basketball in La than Dunleavy is with coaching hoops at any level. Taking the best available 3* recruits in La is a surefire way to ensure no better than middle and lower tier finishes in the AAC.

I'll be interested in seeing how Dunleavy will fill out the rest of the roster once the dust settles with respect to transfers and 2016 commitments.
Ed's still in the "show me" court. I think once Dunleavy gets started with his staff and lands some 4's and 5's Ed will get on board.
3's aren't going to win in the AAC. Maybe CUSA but not this league.
Let's not overrate the AAC. (Which I have been guilty of doing myself). This is the Big C-USA and not the Big East. Changing the name to the American is extremely fitting. 3 stars can win with good coaching in this conference. We just watched the weakest Conroy era team make it to the semi final round. If MD can find two solid 3 star big men along with two 3 point shooters. We will easily be in the mix of the conference. I am not that worried about grabbing local recruits. I believe he will be able to find some good river parish talent, but I also believe we are going to see some east/west coast ballers coming in.
Football yes but not so for basketball. CUSA has and will always be a one bid league. AAC had 4 bids this year. And had SMU been eligible it would have made 5. Temple, UCONN and Cincy were not in CUSA. 3's are not going to beat the top of this league. There's no comparison to CUSA for basketball. Besides every game is on TV. Not even close to what CUSA had for exposure.
I am not comparing the exposure factor or bids, I am just making the point that this is not the Big East. We aren't in a conference of strangers to Tulane basketball. We know what were are up against.

We can fool ourselves if we want, but we are in a Glorified C-USA. We can win games with a good coach, and a few tools. You mark my word, if MD can get those players that I stated above, we will be in business.

I agree with most of what you are saying. However, we are not a version of CUSA. UCONN has 4 championships and Cincinnati has 2. Temple won 1 championship, 2 Final Four appearances, 8 Elite Eight appearances and only 1 of 6 schools with 1800 victories (Kentucky, Syracuse, Kansas, UNC and Duke). Houston has 2 appearances in the NCAA finals (lost both times) and 5 Final Four appearances. Memphis also has 2 runner-ups and 3 Final Four appearances.

EVERY AAC game is televised. I'd bet the better CUSA teams are on TV no more than 10 times. The AAC is not CUSA. The AAC is the 8th ranked conference and CUSA is 22nd http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... conference

The AAC is light years a head of CUSA and we also received more bids than the vaunted SEC, CUSA had 1.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
MicMan wrote:

golf, MicMan does have a point about the "azz" thing. Are you actually spelling it that way or is the site censoring the word "ass" for you? My senses are way more offended by the insipid corniness of "azz" than the minimally-vulgar "ass."
AJ...when appropriate I will use the word "ass"...I almost forgot two other words they used to describe JF..."rude" and "condescending"...and with that, JF can take his "approval of hire" what little it is worth, and stick it up his ass !!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Mike Dunleavy is in Houston this weekend as we suspected. He was just interviewed on WFAN (NY) by the Joe & Evan from Basketball alley in Houston. He was introduced as the new HC of Tulane, and it was mentioned 3 or 4 other times, but most of the interview focused on his career as a player and coach, and his kids. One thing I didn't know was that he went to South Carolina where he played under Frank McGuire, and thought he was going to play in the ACC. They left the ACC before his Freshman year started, and were Independent. What a team they had: Kevin Joyce, Alex English, Brian Winters, and Danny Traylor were on that team with Dunleavy. They beat Texas Tech and lost to Memphis in the Midwest Regional Semi-Finals, and ended their season with a win over USL in the regional 3rd place game.

Those Frank McGuire teams had one thing in common with most Dunleavy coached teams: On any given night their leading scorer might be one of a group of four or five players. They also played pretty good defense.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
MicMan wrote:

AJ...when appropriate I will use the word "ass"...I almost forgot two other words they used to describe JF..."rude" and "condescending"...and with that, JF can take his "approval of hire" what little it is worth to me, and stick it up his ass !!!
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Is there any reports about our recruits? We had two point guards, Colin Slater and Justin Moore whom had verbally committed and signed a LOI respectfully. We also had a verbal from Maxwell Starwood, a PF from Texas. Serious interest from a 6'10" thumper named Jordy Tshimonga from Canada, too.

Does Dunleavy inherit these recruits? Is he going to use his international scouts and bring in some others?
Just a small clarification. Starwood is from Baton Rouge and went out to Nevada for prep school; when he delayed his admission for a year, he made a point to say that TU didn't drop him...he was coming back. I read one report on him from Nevada that says he is a beast, fwiw.

I would be surprised if he doesn't recruit internationally.
puffy
Surge

https://mobile.twitter.com/Colin_CTMD1/ ... 840/photos

Great photo of our new head coach and one of his incoming freshman guards.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Heard an interview on a national radio show on Sunday. Re-iterated the fact that he chose TU cause he wanted a place where he could spend a decade. Talked about the practice facility and small but loud gym. Also said he wants to be like NOVA and play big games in the Smoothie King Center. Mentioned looking at some immediate JUCO help and his interest in being a teacher/mentor.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I don't think I have ever been as excited about a coaching hire here. I believe he is going to do a great job.
God Bless Everyone!
Bigschtick
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:I don't think I have ever been as excited about a coaching hire here. I believe he is going to do a great job.

Agreed, now anxious for word on assistant hires. Not thinking at all that Baker will be joining his dad.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:I don't think I have ever been as excited about a coaching hire here. I believe he is going to do a great job.
Agreed, now anxious for word on assistant hires. Not thinking at all that Baker will be joining his dad.
This has me excited to the point where I've bought basketball season tickets for the first time (reverse Stockholm syndrome). Everyone should do what they can to support the changes that are being made. I realize that most of you live too far from the city to attend games regularly, but I encourage everyone to join me in sending an email (or snail mail) to Prez Fitts letting him know how much we support what he has done for Tulane athletics.