Why Mike Dunleavy?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wavetime
Swell

SobeWave
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:Any thoughts on what this means for our current players/recruits? Do you think they'll stay?
No brainer. They will all want to play for him. He is going to land a big time recruit.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Wow! Definitely a Splash Hire! What a surprise! 17 years an NBA Head Coach. You think he has some credibility! Way to go Dannen!
OUG
Riptide

He has coached in 71 NBA playoff games (38-33).

Ed Conroy won 92 games at Tulane in 6 years.

Let that sink in.

This guy has real, legitimate experience that will appeal to recruits. The only question is his energy level.
shorebreak
Ripple

RobertM320 wrote:TD continues to send the message we're serious about winning. Are you listening Big XII?
Exactly, people can debate the hire but it is a positive as a play towards a big conference. Splash, national news, gets Tulane on the radar and shows that there's a new commitment to athletics.

I think he will be successful, should be very interesting!
Houma de Wave
Swell

I like Mike!
RobertM320
Green Wave

I think I've got this figured out. Troy Dannen's wife Amy must have been complaining that she couldn't find her way around town, so he figured he'd hire Dunleavy and let his wife show her around. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by RobertM320 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
greenphantom
Swell

shorebreak wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:TD continues to send the message we're serious about winning. Are you listening Big XII?
Exactly, people can debate the hire but it is a positive as a play towards a big conference. Splash, national news, gets Tulane on the radar and shows that there's a new commitment to athletics.

+1. Great Hire
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:He has coached in 71 NBA playoff games (38-33).

Ed Conroy won 92 games at Tulane in 6 years.

Let that sink in.

This guy has real, legitimate experience that will appeal to recruits. The only question is his energy level.
I think the energy level is more relevant (and in this case, crucial) for assistants. But otherwise, yeah.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

shorebreak wrote:

Yep. Changing the culture as much as we're changing the coach.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Any thoughts on what this does for our current players/recruits? Do you think we keep them?
Need to keep Shammond if possible.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

SobeWave wrote:Big time coach. Shocked he took this job. High school kids will want to play for an NBA coach bc of his experience and connections at the next level. Chris Mullin is crushing it at ST John's with recruits. And Larry Brown has always won at the college level.

Huge hire. Very excited.
Umm, here in the greater NYC market, many wonder if Chris Mullin, whom had never coached at any level, will be back for year two. He has landed a few recruits, but lost out on most of the higher profile NYC recruits he targeted. His team was so bad this past year that the nations first, largest and most listened to sports radio station, WFAN NY, had what they called the "St. John's rule". It meant that any of the 6 D1 teams that lost to the Red Storm should automatically be excluded from NCAA Tournament consideration. LOL, the one that got in was Syracuse, which played the "Johnnies" without their HC.

That being said, I like the hire. I would pray he could have his son, and Magic Johnson on the bench with him!

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

I'm surprised most of the reaction is positive. This guy hasn't coached in 5 years and hasn't had a winning record in 10 years. He had some very good years in LA and Portland, but overall not the kind of hire I was hoping for. He's never coached in the college game, and is an afterthought currently in the NBA. I was hoping TD would follow the same model with the Fritz hire meaning a successful lower level coach earning promotion to a better job like Tulane which hasn't been done since the program returned from the death penalty. So I'm not really optimistic, but instead wait and see like our other previous hires.
puffy
Surge

I'm going to buy season tix, not necessarily because of the hire (which I am optimistic with), but as a tribute to Troy F'n Dannen.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote:I'm surprised most of the reaction is positive. This guy hasn't coached in 5 years and hasn't had a winning record in 10 years. He had some very good years in LA and Portland, but overall not the kind of hire I was hoping for. He's never coached in the college game, and is an afterthought currently in the NBA. I was hoping TD would follow the same model with the Fritz hire meaning a successful lower level coach earning promotion to a better job like Tulane which hasn't been done since the program returned from the death penalty. So I'm not really optimistic, but instead wait and see like our other previous hires.
Tulane hasn't been to the tournament THIS CENTURY. This is a splash hire, a coach that knows the game better than anyone we've had since Perry Clarke, and maybe further back. It's a WAY better hire than Dan Gottlieb. Depending upon his assistants, it could be a huge step forward. The man knows the game of basketball, and has skins on the wall. It might also signal that the rising mid-major coach isn't willing to take a chance at Tulane and have his trajectory halted ala Dickerson and Finney. We're bringing in a coach that's been off the sidelines a few years, but is well known and well respected.

Again, it comes down to whom he gets to work with him as assistants. I pray Shammond WIlliams stays, and/or he gets his son (I think his name is Blake) to jump from Villanova.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
SobeWave wrote:Big time coach. Shocked he took this job. High school kids will want to play for an NBA coach bc of his experience and connections at the next level. Chris Mullin is crushing it at ST John's with recruits. And Larry Brown has always won at the college level.

Huge hire. Very excited.
Umm, here in the greater NYC market, many wonder if Chris Mullin, whom had never coached at any level, will be back for year two.
Mullin turned over nearly the entire roster. They'll be a lot better next year.

This all boils down to Dunleavy's assistants. Williams or the other guy (name escapes me, but he, not Williams, signed Harris and Nichols) staying would be good. But Larry Brown hired top assistants and we need to too.
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
greenie78 wrote:I'm surprised most of the reaction is positive. This guy hasn't coached in 5 years and hasn't had a winning record in 10 years. He had some very good years in LA and Portland, but overall not the kind of hire I was hoping for. He's never coached in the college game, and is an afterthought currently in the NBA. I was hoping TD would follow the same model with the Fritz hire meaning a successful lower level coach earning promotion to a better job like Tulane which hasn't been done since the program returned from the death penalty. So I'm not really optimistic, but instead wait and see like our other previous hires.
Tulane hasn't been to the tournament THIS CENTURY. This is a splash hire, a coach that knows the game better than anyone we've had since Perry Clarke, and maybe further back. It's a WAY better hire than Dan Gottlieb. Depending upon his assistants, it could be a huge step forward. The man knows the game of basketball, and has skins on the wall. It might also signal that the rising mid-major coach isn't willing to take a chance at Tulane and have his trajectory halted ala Dickerson and Finney. We're bringing in a coach that's been off the sidelines a few years, but is well known and well respected.

Again, it comes down to whom he gets to work with him as assistants. I pray Shammond WIlliams stays, and/or he gets his son (I think his name is Blake) to jump from Villanova.
Agree 100%. Who cares if he has never coached in college? He has coached at a much higher level than any previous Tulane coach. Everyone wants to get that next up and coming young coach but that is a crap shoot. We tried that with Finney and Dickerson and failed miserably
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Splash hire with basketball connections. We should be getting kids nationwide.
Tulane Class of 1981
SobeWave
Ripple

Agree. This guy can coach and he will attract quality players. Having a son playing in the NBA helps with recruiting too. This is a huge hire.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

We upgraded not only coaching but national credibility in one fell swoop.

It's early, but Troy Dannen looks to be as good as Cowen/Dickson were bad.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here's a connection. His wife is from Nola and his brother in law played football for the Wave.
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

I knew his wife was from NOLA. Who's the brother in law?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
COChip
Low Tide

Dunleavy=Banquet Bob
DrBox
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:I knew his wife was from NOLA. Who's the brother in law?
Miles Clements.