Next Mens Basketball Coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tufinal4
High Tide

Has Gottlieb ever coached.

RobertM320
Green Wave

Sure looks like he's throwing a lot of lines in the water. He's a former OSU basketball player.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o ... 55424.html
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

He's never been a coach
Holder did not want to get into too many details about the impending coaching search after Travis Ford’s eight-year tenure as Oklahoma State coach ended on Friday. But he did discuss Gottlieb, the former OSU point guard who now works as a CBS Sports analyst. Gottlieb’s candidacy is a wild card, as he has not coached a game but could provide an immediate boost to waning fan support.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

From The Advocate:

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... aching-job

All I can say is, based on the 90 days he's been at Tulane, there is NO WAY Dannen is going to pick someone who's never coached before. He could turn out to be great, but that's got nothing to do with us. Its not a chance we can take.
puffy
Surge

tufinal4 wrote:Has Gottlieb ever coached.
    The only thing listed in Gottlieb's bio is helping Bruce Pearl with the US team at the 2009 Maccabiah Games.

He's been mostly a talking head on radio and TV since giving up basketball in 2002. I say emphatically no because he strikes me as someone who likes the sound of his own voice, no matter what type of drivel might be coming out of it. I distinctly remember him on ESPN Radio in 2006 saying how New Orleans can't and shouldn't keep the Saints. Plus he doesn't meet the main criteria that TD has publicly stated for the job: A winner.

Hiring Gottlieb for hoops would be akin to TD hiring Danny Kanell for football.
    JerseyWave
    Riptide

Gottleib "knows the culture in Stillwater", not New Orleans. If he's serious about coaching I would want to know who he plans on hiring for his staff. Hopefully someone with prior head coaching experience. But this would be a bit of a gamble, definitely a splash hire.
    puffy
    Surge

Now it appears he’s ready to move to the bench. But, he admitted in an interview with Oklahoma City’s WWLS-FM on Monday, he isn’t in a position to take the financial hit that comes with becoming an assistant and doesn’t want to bide his time at a place looking for the next head coaching opportunity.
    So, in other words, he's not willing to take a pay cut and pay his dues like 99.9% of coaches out there. :1thumb:
    DrBox
    Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Gottleib "knows the culture in Stillwater", not New Orleans. If he's serious about coaching I would want to know who he plans on hiring for his staff. Hopefully someone with prior head coaching experience. But this would be a bit of a gamble, definitely a splash hire.
    That would be must. And QUALITY head coaching experience. I guess he could pull a division 2 coach in or something.

I still don't see the point. He's known in radio, not for playing basketball. And if I recall, as a player, he couldn't shoot a lick - couldn't even make a free throw.
    jonathanjoseph
    Green Wave

There are a few interesting points here:

1) The interest seems to be leaked from the Gottfried camp, and likely tied to a last minute effort to create a market for his services at his alma mater, which just hired a hot shot coach.

2) That someone with Gottlieb's profile, regardless of whether or not he ends up a good or bad coach, would use the "Tulane Job" as leverage or to create a market is interesting, by itself. Let's just say that if Rick Dickson were still implementing the Tulane Model, I don't think anyone would be trying to use "the Tulane Job" as anything other than a joke. Will be interesting to see Dannen continue to play this. Dannen is playing chess whereas Dickson was playing checkers.

3) While interesting, it does seem to be outside of the "Dannen plan". While the football coach is a different animal, Dannen still went for high upside with a low floor as he knows that further losing is not an option. So while Gottlieb may or may be able to turn his media persona into a basketball coach, it's not clear that Dannen would want to take that gamble. Like Fritz, Dannen might be looking for a guy who may become a home run but will be a double at a minimum.
    puffy
    Surge

There are hundreds, HUNDREDS, of better qualified people who are either current college/pro assistants, sitting head coaches at low-to-mid major conferences, or former head coaches who are far more qualified and actually ready to lead a program than Gottlieb.

Let OKSt talk themselves into hiring him.
    RobertM320
    Green Wave

Word from Ok St tonight is they're hiring Brad Underwood of Stephen F. Austin.
    GreenLantern
    Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Word from Ok St tonight is they're hiring Brad Underwood of Stephen F. Austin.
    Disappointed but not surprised. I was hoping for the remote chance Underwood would be wearing green.
    Bigschtick
    Riptide

Dannen ain't going to hire Gottlieb. Enough already.
    Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
    mbawavefan12
    Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote:Dannen ain't going to hire Gottlieb. Enough already.
    Ya, it's just silly.
    jonathanjoseph
    Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
    Ya, it's just silly.
    Maybe, maybe not. Hiring Steve Kerr, who had zero coaching experience, turned out pretty well for GS. I don't know enough about Gottlieb to suggest whether that's a good comparison or not, but the suggestion may not be "silly". We'll see if there's any reciprocal interest from Dannen.
    mbawavefan12
    Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
    mbawavefan12 wrote:
    Ya, it's just silly.
    Maybe, maybe not. Hiring Steve Kerr, who had zero coaching experience, turned out pretty well for GS. I don't know enough about Gottlieb to suggest whether that's a good comparison or not, but the suggestion may not be "silly". We'll see if there's any reciprocal interest from Dannen.
    Kerr spent a number of years in management........and Tulane's roster is a little less talented than Golden State. Hell Walton was 39-4 with that roster.

With the current state of TU basketball, hiring Gottlieb is a total non-starter. Not to mention TD isn't hiring a guy with literally zero coaching or management experience. Again, it's just silly internet fodder.
    mbawavefan12
    Tsunami

I'd take Travis Ford. Made the tourney at OSU 5 out of 7 years.
    galvezwave
    Swell

TD has been quiet as a church mouse. Hope we get a legit list soon.
    Bigschtick
    Riptide

galvezwave wrote:TD has been quiet as a church mouse. Hope we get a legit list soon.

He did say by the Final Four he had hoped to have a hire. This is going to be interesting.
    Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
    DrBox
    Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
    mbawavefan12 wrote:
    Ya, it's just silly.
    I'm in your camp on this. Fred Hoiberg didn't have any experience.

My concern is more that he's so obnoxious and dogmatic that it would be tough to make recruiting inroads.
    Overall, I don't see it as any riskier than hiring some coach who just had a couple of good years in a low major league.
    Last edited by DrBox on Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    golfnut69
    Wild Pelican

Bigschtick wrote:
    galvezwave wrote:TD has been quiet as a church mouse. Hope we get a legit list soon.

He did say by the Final Four he had hoped to have a hire. This is going to be interesting.
    I just hope like hell the get rid of the Mitch Landrieu, "statue" offense that was installed
    Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
    DrBox
    Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:I'd take Travis Ford. Made the tourney at OSU 5 out of 7 years.
    No retreads.
    OSU was a carry-along most of the years, like Texas Tech was this year. Have a couple of upsets, play .500 in league, and get picked as Big 12 #7 because of an inflated RPI.
    TU23
    High Tide

I think when TD said he'd get us a winner, he meant that he'd get us someone on the rise versus someone on the way down. That's why I'd look more to the mid to low major coaches who are on the way up versus re-treads and people who have never coached before. I'm not saying that hiring a guy who has never been a coach is always a bad idea. It's worked in some situations for sure, but I think with THIS job at this moment, we need a stabilizing force and someone to propel us forward. The risk we need to take is spending the kind of money it takes to get a quality coach NOT hiring someone outside the box and hoping for the best.
    mbawavefan12
    Tsunami

DrBox wrote:
    jonathanjoseph wrote:
    mbawavefan12 wrote:
    Ya, it's just silly.
    I'm in your camp on this. Fred Hoiberg didn't have any experience.

My concern is more that he's so obnoxious and dogmatic that it would be tough to make recruiting inroads.
    Overall, I don't see it as any riskier than hiring some coach who just had a couple of good years in a low major league.
    Hoiberg worked in an NBA front office. Again, this is Tulane not a P5 job. Also, showing a few isolated examples is ridiculous. I can site a many many more examples of coaches who succeeded after getting experience. If Gottlieb wants to coach then put in the time and prove yourself somewhere other then in front of a microphone. This is nonsense.

I think there is still a ton of stink around the Tulane job in many circles. Fritz was a solid hire but FBall (arguably) had more to sell cause of the recruiting grounds, new stadium etc. and Fritz did have one big flaw to many other programs.....the paranoia over the triple option.
    jonathanjoseph
    Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
    jonathanjoseph wrote:
    mbawavefan12 wrote:
    Ya, it's just silly.
    Kerr spent a number of years in management........and Tulane's roster is a little less talented than Golden State. Hell Walton was 39-4 with that roster.

With the current state of TU basketball, hiring Gottlieb is a total non-starter. Not to mention TD isn't hiring a guy with literally zero coaching or management experience. Again, it's just silly internet fodder.
    I got news for you, management is just like media, which is to say it's not coaching. And that same GS team was barely in the top 10 in NBA offense the prior year under Mark Jackson, who also came from TV. Turns out, there's a lot of similarities between knowing the game well enough to be an articulate talking head and coaching the game.

Since Kushner has now reported that the interest is mutual, it's officially moved beyond silly internet fodder. Again, I'm not suggesting any conclusions