Troy Dannen apologizes to Ed Conroy

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
chain gang x man
Swell

Tulane AD apologizes to Ed Conroy for leak, looking for a 'winner' in next coach | NOLA.com from NOLA.com’s Tweet

Takes a man.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
SobeWave
Ripple

Time for TD to clean house. Bad look but I highly doubt he leaked it. He has a mole....
anEngineer
Riptide

While some national sports people have said, the removal of Ed Conroy was one of the worst-kept secrets in college basketball, I was disappointed in the way it played out and happy to see Troy Dannen apologize for it. Some commentators just didn't know what they were talking about, like one who said Conroy should have been told the expectations before the year started. The current AD was not in place when the year started. Anyway, it's time to move on.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote:While some national sports people have said, the removal of Ed Conroy was one of the worst-kept secrets in college basketball, I was disappointed in the way it played out and happy to see Troy Dannen apologize for it. Some commentators just didn't know what they were talking about, like one who said Conroy should have been told the expectations before the year started. The current AD was not in place when the year started. Anyway, it's time to move on.
+1
There's no mole. Everyone on the planet knew this was coming. However most didn't think Tulane would be playing in the AAC semi's before getting the news. Troy Dannen had decided this a while back. He came and sat near us in an empty gym every game. It's not so much that EC didn't do a good job but he didn't get the job done. TD is looking to put his stamp on the program and he knows he has to begin by filling the stands. He feels a new coach and a bigger commitment to basketball is now needed to accomplish this. He also wants the place packed for WBB. So we'll see what he does to get that done. It's professional that he apologized to EC because it's as he would say "the right thing to do" and it may help ease some of the anger some players felt by what went down. If we are able to keep all of our team together we should be very close to turning the corner. If we lose 4-5 current players and our 3 commits then it's a complete start over. Hopefully he makes a good hire.
Go luck to Ed Conroy. Ed's a quality individual of the highest character.
Roll Wave!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote:While some national sports people have said, the removal of Ed Conroy was one of the worst-kept secrets in college basketball, I was disappointed in the way it played out and happy to see Troy Dannen apologize for it. Some commentators just didn't know what they were talking about, like one who said Conroy should have been told the expectations before the year started. The current AD was not in place when the year started. Anyway, it's time to move on.
One thing that gets overlooked by those that want to splash TD: Ed Conroy said in the post game interview Friday that he and Troy Dannen sat down and discussed his situation before the tournament started. He had frank discussions with his team before each game, emphasizing that it should be about the players, not about Ed Conroy. But the media doesn't like that aspect of the story.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
One thing that gets overlooked by those that want to splash TD: Ed Conroy said in the post game interview Friday that he and Troy Dannen sat down and discussed his situation before the tournament started. He had frank discussions with his team before each game, emphasizing that it should be about the players, not about Ed Conroy. But the media doesn't like that aspect of the story.
:yes:
JDTulane
Riptide

The changing of the narrative is mind boggling here.

The dude deserved to be fired. Knew ages ago he was likely to be fired. Players shouldn't be so naive.

This is a total non story being allowed to become a story.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm sure that Ed's feelings were bruised because he lost a very cushy job. I understand that the players were offended that their coach heard the news reported by Hulabaloo and later yelled by a couple of the 10-12 people that actually attended the game..

Why is there no mention of the fans that endured 6 years of losing? (Not just losing...but consistent butt-kickings.)

I'm still waiting for my apology from Ed...from Rick...from Scotty.... I'm standing by my phone.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:I'm sure that Ed's feelings were bruised because he lost a very cushy job. I understand that the players were offended that their coach heard the news reported by Hulabaloo and later yelled by a couple of the 10-12 people that actually attended the game..

Why is there no mention of the fans that endured 6 years of losing? (Not just losing...but consistent butt-kickings.)

I'm still waiting for my apology from Ed...from Rick...from Scotty.... I'm standing by my phone.
Yep.
TU23
High Tide

Ed could clear all of this up easily, but he won't because he believes he shouldn't have been fired. To me, he had the power to squash this at the time too, but he chose to try to use it as a motivational tool and to make himself look good and it was a bad look on everyone. All he had to say was "I don't know where this guy is getting his information, but it's unequivocally not true." He needs to take a lesson from Nick Saban, "I've got no interest in the Alabama job. None." At the end of the season, he could come clean, but he allowed this to become a distraction for his team instead of getting rid of it. Even CJ didn't take the bait.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:The changing of the narrative is mind boggling here.

The dude deserved to be fired. Knew ages ago he was likely to be fired. Players shouldn't be so naive.

This is a total non story being allowed to become a story.

Seriously. It could have been someone loyal to the previous AD or just some nobody sitting in on a meeting. It's such a non story. The outrage is really confusing.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TU23 wrote:Ed could clear all of this up easily, but he won't because he believes he shouldn't have been fired. To me, he had the power to squash this at the time too, but he chose to try to use it as a motivational tool and to make himself look good and it was a bad look on everyone. All he had to say was "I don't know where this guy is getting his information, but it's unequivocally not true." He needs to take a lesson from Nick Saban, "I've got no interest in the Alabama job. None." At the end of the season, he could come clean, but he allowed this to become a distraction for his team instead of getting rid of it. Even CJ didn't take the bait.
Yep. No doubt that Conroy used this "controversy" to his personal advantage.

And lest anyone thinks that's a coincidence coming from a member of the Cowen/Dickson circle of trust I've got a bridge to sell you.
JDTulane
Riptide

TU23 wrote:Ed could clear all of this up easily, but he won't because he believes he shouldn't have been fired. To me, he had the power to squash this at the time too, but he chose to try to use it as a motivational tool and to make himself look good and it was a bad look on everyone. All he had to say was "I don't know where this guy is getting his information, but it's unequivocally not true." He needs to take a lesson from Nick Saban, "I've got no interest in the Alabama job. None." At the end of the season, he could come clean, but he allowed this to become a distraction for his team instead of getting rid of it. Even CJ didn't take the bait.

If I was a hiring school and I saw the narrative Conroy is trying to paint Tulane in I'd run the other way. He was given at least 3 seasons too many imo and Tulane has been MORE than gracious enough to keep him onboard for as long as they did.