Spring Football 2016 Dates Released

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Spring game will be April 16; Pro Day is March 17

New Orleans – The Tulane Green Wave football team will open its first spring campaign under head coach Willie Fritz on Monday, March 14 with the first of 15 practices at Yulman Stadium. Practices are open to the media, while the spring game is open to the public.

Tulane will practice from 8:15-10:15 a.m. during the weekdays with the exception of a 3 p.m. practice on Monday, March 28, and Saturday practices will run from 12-2 p.m. with the exception of a 3 p.m. practice on Saturday, April 9.

The Green Wave will host its annual spring game at Yulman Stadium on Saturday, April 16 at 12 p.m. Details for spring game will be announced at a later date. For information on the football alumni weekend, please contact Jean-Preston Lucius at [email protected] or call (504) 865-5356.

Coach Fritz, assistant coaches and players will be available to the media at the conclusion of each practice.

Tulane will host a coaches’ clinic on Friday, April 8 at 6 p.m. and Saturday, April 9 at 9 a.m. and will take place at Yulman Stadium. For more information please contact Slade Nagle at 504.858.9043 or Lindy Wertz at [email protected].

The Green Wave will host Junior Day on Saturday, April 2, beginning at 10 a.m. while Tulane’s Pro Day is slated for Thursday, March 17 at 1 p.m. and is open to the public. Both events will take place at Yulman Stadium.

2016 Spring Football Dates

March

14 Monday……………………………. 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

16 Wednesday……………………….. 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

17 Thursday…………………. 1 p.m. Tulane Pro Day (Yulman Stadium)

18 Friday………………………………. 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

28 Monday…………………………………………. 3 p.m. (Yulman Stadium)

30 Wednesday……………………….. 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

April

1 Friday………………………………… 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

2 Saturday……………………………………… 12-2 p.m. (Yulman Stadium)

10 a.m. Tulane Junior Day (Yulman Stadium)

4 Monday……………………………… 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

6 Wednesday…………………………. 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

8 Friday………………………………… 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

6 p.m. Coaches Clinic (Yulman Stadium)

9 Saturday…………………………………………… 3 p.m. (Yulman Stadium)

9 a.m. Coaches Clinic (Yulman Stadium)

11 Monday……………………………. 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

13 Wednesday……………………….. 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

15 Friday ……………………………… 8:15-10:15 a.m. (Yulman Stadium)

16 Saturday…………………. 12-2 p.m. Spring Game (Yulman Stadium)

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Can't wait to get the practice reports and updates. By the end of Spring Practices we should have a decent handle on what kind of offense to expect. I bet that it will score more than 17 Points/game.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Can't wait to get the practice reports and updates. By the end of Spring Practices we should have a decent handle on what kind of offense to expect. I bet that it will score more than 17 Points/game.
Personally prefer that we show as little as possible of our new schemes and approach until the WF game.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wave97
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Can't wait to get the practice reports and updates. By the end of Spring Practices we should have a decent handle on what kind of offense to expect. I bet that it will score more than 17 Points/game.
Personally prefer that we show as little as possible of our new schemes and approach until the WF game.
+1
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
+1
I am sure, Wally English will dispatch a Bob Davie wannabe assistant, to be on the roof of Ed Conroy's house in order to film all of the sessions closed to the public !!!...All "media types' will be issued "restricted view sun glasses" so they cannot get a total grasp of what Tulane will employ for next season.... now about those Georgia Southern or Sam Houston game tapes on you tube.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pre Spring Practice Interview with Coach Fritz... thanks sportsnola

http://sportsnola.com/video-tulane-coac ... -practice/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
JerseyWave
Riptide

Wow! Great Press Conference, very informative. You can learn a lot listening to Coach Fritz. No wonder this guy has won everywhere he has been. The program is in GREAT hands.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:Wow! Great Press Conference, very informative. You can learn a lot listening to Coach Fritz. No wonder this guy has won everywhere he has been. The program is in GREAT hands.
I agree. One thing for certain: Special Teams (or as Willie likes to call it: kicking game) will be VASTLY improved. So will strength and conditioning.

I'm very, VERY happy to have a coach that is NOT a deer in the headlights. I also think we need to remember that we lost a bunch of players, and are going to be implementing completely new offensive, defensive and kicking game schemes. The schools we play have professional coaching staffs as well. I think we're capable of making a bowl game, but it may take a win vs. Temple or @ UConn (after Thanksgiving, could be a cold weather game) to get there. Maybe they surprise me and win some games I think are probable losses, and are bowl eligible much earlier in the year. I'm not expecting a magical transformation without some bumps in the road. This guy is really hands on; I'd love to hear the perspective of a player to learn if our impressions are what it's like within the program. I like that he comes right out and says "our goal is to play in a bowl game. There's nothing I've seen on film about the kids we have that leads me to believe that's not a realistic goal."

I'll predict: by the time the kids that transferred out are playing (if they stayed D1 and didn't graduate) they will wish they would have stayed. By year 2 Coach Fritz will have us competing for the Division and Conference championship.

Golfnut, thanks for putting this up. Sorry I originally mis-credited TPS with this post! I would have found it a few days from now, but this was a good time for a distraction like this. It really got me pumped after a rough day of work and with the kids.

ROLL WAVE!
Last edited by DfromCT on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thanks! I'd like to make a few practices this year.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:[ I'm not expecting a magical transformation without some bumps in the road.
Not sure that it has to be "magical", but CWF teams do not take time to grow into the scheme. In GSU's first year D1A, CWF had them scoring 39 points per game and they had GT, NCST and Navy on that schedule.

We will have 2 returning 1st team all conference defenders, plus Nickerson and plenty of other talent. Unless there are problems at QB, a bowl game is just .500, it should be a fairly easy goal to reach given CWF track record.
Jaxwave
Swell

JJ, Fritz took over a GSU team that had beaten Florida with over 400 yards rushing the year before. Their coach was hired away due to the success he had. Different situation here. He will have to do a heck of a job to win 5.
TU23
High Tide

Jax- we have a very friendly schedule this year. Wake sucked last year, ULL finished the season on a horrible losing streak, UMass only won 2 or 3 games, we should beat Southern easily. The AAC, while a step up from CUSA, is hardly a murderer's row. We get Navy early in the season when they'll be breaking in a lot of new players (senior laden team last year), Memphis is replacing a lot of people, Tulsa lost their clear #1 target in Keyarris Garrett. SMU will be better but hardly a great team and we play them at home. UCF lost every game last year. UConn is beatable and so is Temple (at home). The only game I think we'll be outclassed in is Houston.

While I'm not saying we'll win 10 games, 7 or 8 is really not out of the question. I have full confidence that we'll be 100% better in the kicking game. Eliminating those dumb mistakes could help us win at least one more game, if not 2. We should be about the same on defense. Offense, we'll have a better chance simply due to the scheme change. If we can improve on offense and special teams, this is a bowl team.

I, for one, was upset when we first announced Willie Fritz. I had wanted him when we hired CJ but thought that he was going to come in and cash in on one big job before he retired. I admit I was wrong. He (and Dannen) have done everything right so far. They don't know how to lose, and I think we have enough talent to get it done this year.
JerseyWave
Riptide

I expect Tulane to be competitive in every game in 2016 with the exception of Houston. When I say competitive, I mean we should be in a position to win it in the fourth quarter. Not that we will win 11 out of 12 games, but we will be there late in the game and that's a far cry from business as usual at Tulane where we were out of it many times in the second quarter. A lot depends on the Quarterback situation. Who will it be and how effective can they be.
Wave QB
Swell

TU23 wrote:Jax- we have a very friendly schedule this year. Wake sucked last year, ULL finished the season on a horrible losing streak, UMass only won 2 or 3 games, we should beat Southern easily. The AAC, while a step up from CUSA, is hardly a murderer's row. We get Navy early in the season when they'll be breaking in a lot of new players (senior laden team last year), Memphis is replacing a lot of people, Tulsa lost their clear #1 target in Keyarris Garrett. SMU will be better but hardly a great team and we play them at home. UCF lost every game last year. UConn is beatable and so is Temple (at home). The only game I think we'll be outclassed in is Houston.

While I'm not saying we'll win 10 games, 7 or 8 is really not out of the question. I have full confidence that we'll be 100% better in the kicking game. Eliminating those dumb mistakes could help us win at least one more game, if not 2. We should be about the same on defense. Offense, we'll have a better chance simply due to the scheme change. If we can improve on offense and special teams, this is a bowl team.

I, for one, was upset when we first announced Willie Fritz. I had wanted him when we hired CJ but thought that he was going to come in and cash in on one big job before he retired. I admit I was wrong. He (and Dannen) have done everything right so far. They don't know how to lose, and I think we have enough talent to get it done this year.
I wouldn't be shocked at 7 to 8 wins. I am very happy about having another bowl friendly schedule. The major question is if we have a QB who can move the ball down the field. I think our defense will be ok against this schedule.
Dupergreenie
Surge

This will make players poop or get off the pot..... No favorites here..... If you are a leader, a winner and want to be here you will be.... If not.... Southern is always looking for players.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Fritz is soooooooooo impressive. He just oozes "winner".

His competitive program is brilliant stuff, and I agree that it's every bit as impactful to the program as this spring practice session will be.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

This link has been posted under the "Spring Football" part of this forum on Sunday...Please delete or merge...thanks
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

A couple of friends out at practice today. Something new reported. Willie Fritz has NOPD at practice standing guard. Reminded him of Tommy Bowden.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wow this is great!!!!
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:A couple of friends out at practice today. Something new reported. Willie Fritz has NOPD at practice standing guard. Reminded him of Tommy Bowden.
What is the idea of the NOPD?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
tpstulane wrote:A couple of friends out at practice today. Something new reported. Willie Fritz has NOPD at practice standing guard. Reminded him of Tommy Bowden.
Not sure. Maybe some type of discipline or authority thing? Maybe he's training for those big sellout Tulane crowds that will jump the stands in celebration! :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
lurker123
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Not sure. Maybe some type of discipline or authority thing? Maybe he's training for those big sellout Tulane crowds that will jump the stands in celebration! :mrgreen:
Sorry guys but what do you think "closed" practices except for credentialed media means? I guess he prefers to not use TUPD or they may not be available on weekday mornings?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DrBox wrote:

That's dumb.