Tulane FB OOC schedules 2014 thru 2023

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
waveprof wrote:I'm as upset about this as most of you, but let's at least get the story straight. We replaced @MsSt with @UMass......not vs Southern. We were ALWAYS going to schedule a FCS home game. Or at least were very, very likely to. That isn't taking the slot of the @Ms State game......@UMass is. And that is still :shock:
We have the story straight. Every site will have a poster or two that gets things confused. The real issue as regards scheduling SU is trying to justify it as part of our scheduling philosophy. There is no good reason to insist on scheduling a FCS every year. The fact is we are still In CUSA just w/a different name. It is not a great football conference. We need to have a good OOC IF we want to move the program forward. We need to send RD that message by making it clear we are unhappy w/that philosophy.
While it's fine to have a FCS opponent every year, this is otherwise spot on. It's the complete and utter disregard for accountability that allows Dickson to believe he can just continue to lower the bar until it's low enough that he can claim success.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote:
waveprof wrote:I'm as upset about this as most of you, but let's at least get the story straight. We replaced @MsSt with @UMass......not vs Southern. We were ALWAYS going to schedule a FCS home game. Or at least were very, very likely to. That isn't taking the slot of the @Ms State game......@UMass is. And that is still :shock:
We have the story straight. Every site will have a poster or two that gets things confused. The real issue as regards scheduling SU is trying to justify it as part of our scheduling philosophy. There is no good reason to insist on scheduling a FCS every year. The fact is we are still In CUSA just w/a different name. It is not a great football conference. We need to have a good OOC IF we want to move the program forward. We need to send RD that message by making it clear we are unhappy w/that philosophy.
While it's fine to have a FCS opponent every year, this is otherwise spot on. It's the complete and utter disregard for accountability that allows Dickson to believe he can just continue to lower the bar until it's low enough that he can claim success.
If we were in a tough conference yes. We aren't.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Disappointing to see this. Here's how our admin see's it: Southern is cheap to get to come down. They will sell tickets and Tulane will get a rent-a-win. Meanwhile the season ticket holder gets the shaft. Ask any season ticket holder who they would rather pay to see play, Miss St or Southern?
I'd venture to say it would be 9 to 1 in favor of Miss St. Now if you asked our coaching staff it would be 10-0 in favor of playing Southern.
Did you mean to say 10-0 by the staff to play Miss. State? I thought you just posted somewhere that the CJ said he wants to play a tough schedule?
I think in public those things may be said but in private I believe the opposite is true. If it's like other sports CJ gives his input when it comes to football scheduling.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:Eaglewave, you must be extremely happy now. Downsized gym, downsized FB venue (not a stadium), downsized schedules, downsized ambitions, downsized expectations, downsized accountability, downsized communication.

Are you RickDick ?
I am very happy. I know I don't have to watch a poorly coached team get killed by a real FBS program that is dedicated to winning. I know that a win vs Southern makes is 5 games away from shot at a bowl game. I know that downsized ambitions occur when we get killed by the Rutgers and Duke's of the world. Downsized expectations are brought on by losses to South Alabama and UTSA. Downsized accountability occurs when your head coach allows coach Price to hang around the program after 3 years of awful decisions. Our O line coach is still around as well after not producing anything to help our quarterbacks thinking time. Downsize communication is when your fans are debating on how big Yulman Stadium actually is.

Why play P5 school when were aren't trying to beat them.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
puffy
Surge

Eaglewave wrote: I know that downsized ambitions occur when we get killed by the Rutgers and Duke's of the world..
Duke is the model that Tulane should aspire to in every single facet, both athletically and academically. Getting trampled by them in football today is not the same as if it were to happen even five short seasons ago. They've become a top-40 football program while competing in a P5 conference.
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:Eaglewave, you must be extremely happy now. Downsized gym, downsized FB venue (not a stadium), downsized schedules, downsized ambitions, downsized expectations, downsized accountability, downsized communication.

Are you RickDick ?
I am very happy. I know I don't have to watch a poorly coached team get killed by a real FBS program that is dedicated to winning. I know that a win vs Southern makes is 5 games away from shot at a bowl game. I know that downsized ambitions occur when we get killed by the Rutgers and Duke's of the world. Downsized expectations are brought on by losses to South Alabama and UTSA. Downsized accountability occurs when your head coach allows coach Price to hang around the program after 3 years of awful decisions. Our O line coach is still around as well after not producing anything to help our quarterbacks thinking time. Downsize communication is when your fans are debating on how big Yulman Stadium actually is.

Why play P5 school when were aren't trying to beat them.
You make good points Eagle. I do understand your frustration. CJ showed me very poor decision making that I was trying ignore in his first two seasons. I do want to play against top SEC, Big 12 and ACC teams, but I want to believe that we have a chance to compete. I just don't it see it right now. CJ really needs to have a 6 or 7 win season because year 4 is always the year that shows were a program actually is.

I still feel that CJ would have had a winning season in his first year had he not lost key players before the season and early in the season. This would have given him 2 winning seasons of 3 years. Last year, I believe was more focus on getting young players experience knowing that he wasn't expected to have a big season in our AAC debut. I didn't agree with CJ starting Tanner Lee and a few others, but that's the way it goes.

This season, I want to see if our offense is ready to look like a FBS offense. I have never really been upset with CJ, but he better have a good reason for keeping Price.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Having already discussed the need for better recruits, better administrative support, better coaching, better facilities and better attendance until we're all redundent we must now get Tulane to schedule FOR THE PURPOSE OPF PROVING WE BELONG IN THE BIG XII. And we must win, and we must consistently sell out our absurd little stadium to force its expansion or a return to the MBSD.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:Having already discussed the need for better recruits, better administrative support, better coaching, better facilities and better attendance until we're all redundent we must now get Tulane to schedule FOR THE PURPOSE OPF PROVING WE BELONG IN THE BIG XII. And we must win, and we must consistently sell out our absurd little stadium to force its expansion or a return to the MBSD.
We've been scheduling pretty well for awhile now. I looked at our future OOC schedules, and we have some good teams lined up (GaTech, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, etc.). I would love for us to get more games against big teams in Yulman, but we have to be careful to ensure that we don't schedule too many 2 for 1s.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

2-1's with powerhouses Wake Forest and Duke along with spending $500k to Miss St. (crushing our relationship) with the joke excuse that it cleared room (a complete lie) for a goshdarn 2-1 with Oklahoma. RD's last $hitshow before exiting. Seriously, the only pleasure I have had over the 2015 FBall and 2015-26 Bball seasons is the immense and all encompassing egg on the face of that joke RD. What a clown who shockingly has been very silent and hidden despite still earning a paycheck. :beathead:

Whatever, on to big and better things I suppose.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Looking forward to learning Dannen's scheduling philosophy. I hope he gets very aggressive about getting LSU on the Football and Basketball schedules.
Dupergreenie
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:Looking forward to learning Dannen's scheduling philosophy. I hope he gets very aggressive about getting LSU on the Football and Basketball schedules.
Don't give a rats behind about playing LSU ever again. We can get the same experience/exposure playing other major p5 programs who would be more willing to do a home/home or a 2/1. No reason to constantly play little brother when we REALLY don't need to play them.
DrBox
Riptide

Dupergreenie wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Looking forward to learning Dannen's scheduling philosophy. I hope he gets very aggressive about getting LSU on the Football and Basketball schedules.
Don't give a rats behind about playing LSU ever again. We can get the same experience/exposure playing other major p5 programs who would be more willing to do a home/home or a 2/1. No reason to constantly play little brother when we REALLY don't need to play them.
+1
JerseyWave
Riptide

DrBox wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
+1
As JJ would say, "Stockholm Syndrome", Cow/Dick mentality.

I want to beat LSU very badly. And we can't beat them if we don't play them. Last time we played, we beat them in hoops. Last time Football played them in the Dome(2007), we stuck with them for the first half. I would rather play LSU than Southern or UL Lafayette.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
+1

I want to beat LSU very badly. And we can't beat them if we don't play them. Last time we played, we beat them in hoops. Last time Football played them in the Dome(2007), we stuck with them for the first half. I would rather play LSU than Southern or UL Lafayette.
I do not think LSU will be playing Tulane anytime soon in football... Tulane needs to begin playing and I hate using this phrase P-5 schools, Vandy, Kansas, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Purdue, Duke for the OOC...this gives Tulane a cross geographic / conference identity..and if you beat these schools and there is no reason why Tulane should not be competitive...what a plus !!!!..STOP playing Southern, ULL, Jackson State, ULM ..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
+1

I do not think LSU will be playing Tulane anytime soon in football... Tulane needs to begin playing and I hate using this phrase P-5 schools, Vandy, Kansas, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Purdue, Duke for the OOC...this gives Tulane a cross geographic / conference identity..and if you beat these schools and there is no reason why Tulane should not be competitive...what a plus !!!!..STOP playing Southern, ULL, Jackson State, ULM ..
I disagree to a certain extent.

LSU
It makes sense to play LSU, but only as a neutral site or 1/1 type of game. If LSU demands a 2/1 or 3/1, it's not worth it. Why? LA recruits are very familiar with LSU's and Tulane's programs, so, since LSU heavily recruits LA, we don't need additional LA exposure by playing LSU. If we make the Big 12 or ACC, this would change.

MS, TX, AL, GA programs
We need to be playing OOC teams (FCS, OOC G5, or P5) from these states almost exclusively since we need more recruiting exposure in those states. Playing teams like the big 12 Texas teams, Texas AM, Georgia/GaTech, Ole Miss/MS State, Auburn, etc. make far more sense than LSU since even if we lose to those teams, we will have better exposure to prospective athletes in those states and that exposure is important since we will need to cherry pick recruits from these states as we build stronger classes.

FCS
People can knock FCS teams all they want, but Jackson State signed a 3* dual threat QB (247 composite) and we didn't.
ccap05
Surge

[/quote]I do not think LSU will be playing Tulane anytime soon in football... Tulane needs to begin playing and I hate using this phrase P-5 schools, Vandy, Kansas, Iowa State, Wake Forest, Purdue, Duke for the OOC...this gives Tulane a cross geographic / conference identity..and if you beat these schools and there is no reason why Tulane should not be competitive...what a plus !!!!..STOP playing Southern, ULL, Jackson State, ULM ..[/quote]

I basically agree with you.

One thing Tulane has going for us as we look towards a future membership in a P5 conference is the fact that fans of other schools love coming to (and identify with) NOLA. This should give Tulane a leg up in scheduling (and where possible avoiding 2-1 scheduling) P5 competition. Tulane should work with GaTech, Vandy, Texas, OK, OkSt, Iowa State, etc. to provide as much of a total NOLA experience as possible for the fans of those schools that make the trip to attend a Tulane game. Once Iowa State (for instance) fans start looking forward to making their once every four year trip to NOLA then taking the next step and seeing Tulane as a conference partner is not such a big step.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
+1

LSU
It makes sense to play LSU, but only as a neutral site or 1/1 type of game. If LSU demands a 2/1 or 3/1, it's not worth it. Why? LA recruits are very familiar with LSU's and Tulane's programs, so, since LSU heavily recruits LA, we don't need additional LA exposure by playing LSU. If we make the Big 12 or ACC, this would change.

MS, TX, AL, GA programs
We need to be playing OOC teams (FCS, OOC G5, or P5) from these states almost exclusively since we need more recruiting exposure in those states. Playing teams like the big 12 Texas teams, Texas AM, Georgia/GaTech, Ole Miss/MS State, Auburn, etc. make far more sense than LSU since even if we lose to those teams, we will have better exposure to prospective athletes in those states and that exposure is important since we will need to cherry pick recruits from these states as we build stronger classes.

FCS
People can knock FCS teams all they want, but Jackson State signed a 3* dual threat QB (247 composite) and we didn't.
I think there is a deal in place to play Ole Miss...as far as the state of Texas, hell we play there all the time (SMU- Houston)... Auburn would be nice...in Florida, go play Miami...we play Ga Tech...A&M may not be bad...but how many trips inside Texas do you have to make ?!?!?l Tulane needs to recruit nationally and the teams I listed gives Tulane that exposure
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Golf the schools you cited are P5 but fans aren't fooled by that. They see those teams as lightweights and thus playing and beating them just doesn't accomplish much. As or playing LSU it is what the great majority of Tulane fans want and TD has made it clear he wants us to get our house in order ASAP and get them on our schedules in football and basketball. Then as noted by others above we need to be playing Ole Miss/MS. STATE, Auburn and the like. As for playing in Texas if you want the masses to notice you play UT or A&M.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Golf the schools you cited are P5 but fans aren't fooled by that. They see those teams as lightweights and thus playing and beating them just doesn't accomplish much. As or playing LSU it is what the great majority of Tulane fans want and TD has made it clear he wants us to get our house in order ASAP and get them on our schedules in football and basketball. Then as noted by others above we need to be playing Ole Miss/MS. STATE, Auburn and the like. As for playing in Texas if you want the masses to notice you play UT or A&M.

A&M is a possibility...UT I do not think will waste it's time on Tulane, it would rather play Rice and keep the money inside the State of Texas...the schools I listed were to take the place of Southern, ULL, Jackson State....and while some fans may look down on the Dukes, Purdues, Kansas' ,Iowa States they are still designated P-5 and playing them does more than playing ULL... plus it gives Tulane national exposure inside of P5 conferences in a game that Tulane can win to attract recruits...once this has been done then .playing an Ole Miss, Mississippi State and maybe LSU would be great, but at the present time, Tulane, like Texas Tech is just not ready...but then again, does it really matter, Tulane does not judge by W's or L's...but if it does...a Top 30 meat grinder of an OOC ain't going to be happening anytime soon...U may be right and I may be wrong....we shall see what "upgrades" to the OOC will take place...other than that, have a great week end
Highwave
Low Tide

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Dupergreenie wrote:
+1

LSU

MS, TX, AL, GA programs

FCS
You are missing the point re: FCS teams. Tulane should not schedule them because it is a lose-lose at this point. An FCS team can jump up and bite you, and Tulane cannot afford that. If Tulane beats an FCS team, its met with a mere yawn. So, aside from using them as a tune-up (bad idea), why would we want to schedule FCS right now?
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Don't let Texas Techs bad Defense fool you into believing that they weren't good last year. That team was incredible and likely would have finished the season ranked if not for TCU's lucky TD and Texas AM running away from playing Tech in the postseason. Remember, Tech soundly defeated Arkansas @ Arkansas.

Recruiting nationally is good and all, but we don't need to spread ourselves out like that as it's expensive and offers diminishing returns. There are plenty of 3* recruits in TX, MS, AL, GA, and LA that end up not going to P5s every year. If we make a dent in this region by fostering relationships with HS coaches, we won't need to spend extra resources to pursue random players in other regions. Imagine if we functionally had the right of first refusal of talent that currently goes to ULL, ULM, LaTech, Rice, UAB, USM, GaState, Georgia Southern, UTEP, UTSA or any nearby FCS programs? We would have consistent top 55 classes.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Don't let Texas Techs bad Defense fool you into believing that they weren't good last year. That team was incredible and likely would have finished the season ranked if not for TCU's lucky TD and Texas AM running away from playing Tech in the postseason. Remember, Tech soundly defeated Arkansas @ Arkansas.

Recruiting nationally is good and all, but we don't need to spread ourselves out like that as it's expensive and offers diminishing returns. There are plenty of 3* recruits in TX, MS, AL, GA, and LA that end up not going to P5s every year. If we make a dent in this region by fostering relationships with HS coaches, we won't need to spend extra resources to pursue random players in other regions. Imagine if we functionally had the right of first refusal of talent that currently goes to ULL, ULM, LaTech, Rice, UAB, USM, GaState, Georgia Southern, UTEP, UTSA or any nearby FCS programs? We would have consistent top 55 classes.
I am a season ticket holder for Texas Tech !!!! gawd, they beat Arkansas...Arkansas wasn't worth a damn either....except for the miracle lateral against Ole Miss and Alabama would not even had played for the SEC championship !!! much less the National Championship....TCU was playing with a wide out as a QB against Tech, everyone was hurt for TCU in that game... Tech is not that good, take it for someone who sees them up close each freakin' week !!!!...I wish I had eliegibilty remaining, I could throw or run for 500 or yards against Tech !!!.... I can see my Heisman Campaign now !!!!
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Arkansas finished #3 in the SEC West, so, if you think Arkansas wasn't good, you must not think highly of the SEC West.

As for TCU, TCU was still amazing without Boykin, so it's unreasonable to say that it wasn't good when it played Tech.

Overall, Tech was solid. If we had Techs offensive production, we would win th AAC every year even with a so so defense.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wow Arkansas finished third in a 6 team division with a miracle win over Ole Miss, which meant they most probably would have finished 4 or 5th...and wait there's more....mighty Arkansas lost to, are U ready for it ....the Toledo Rockets ...yipppeeee !!!!... Tech wouod not have won the AAC...Navy , Houston, Memphis were all better than Texas Tech...and Cincy and Temple would have given them one hell of a hard time....like I said, I see them every week at scenic Jones Stadium and then we go to Spanky's for a beer
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:Golf the schools you cited are P5 but fans aren't fooled by that. They see those teams as lightweights and thus playing and beating them just doesn't accomplish much. As or playing LSU it is what the great majority of Tulane fans want and TD has made it clear he wants us to get our house in order ASAP and get them on our schedules in football and basketball. Then as noted by others above we need to be playing Ole Miss/MS. STATE, Auburn and the like. As for playing in Texas if you want the masses to notice you play UT or A&M.

A&M is a possibility...UT I do not think will waste it's time on Tulane, it would rather play Rice and keep the money inside the State of Texas...the schools I listed were to take the place of Southern, ULL, Jackson State....and while some fans may look down on the Dukes, Purdues, Kansas' ,Iowa States they are still designated P-5 and playing them does more than playing ULL... plus it gives Tulane national exposure inside of P5 conferences in a game that Tulane can win to attract recruits...once this has been done then .playing an Ole Miss, Mississippi State and maybe LSU would be great, but at the present time, Tulane, like Texas Tech is just not ready...but then again, does it really matter, Tulane does not judge by W's or L's...but if it does...a Top 30 meat grinder of an OOC ain't going to be happening anytime soon...U may be right and I may be wrong....we shall see what "upgrades" to the OOC will take place...other than that, have a great week end
You have a great weekend too. Beautiful weather here for Big Mardi Gras weekend.