Fitts on Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:Just to be very clear TD has not talked about football facilities. In one interview when questioned about facilities he responded he would like to build a "practice facility". The media took that as a reference to an IPF. He has not addressed the needs for a football operations building.

Hopefully RD is done and not working on the olympic village and TD had gotten the Board to shift the priority to football's needs.
He certainly did in last night's interview.
That he did. I think his words were "some people may call it a football operations building, others as an Athletic performance center..." etc. He definitely said we need to continue to upgrade or you will fall behind.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Tulane has 17 acres @ the jefferson highway property. Nova Southeastern's complex in miami is around 14 acres and it includes the Miami Dolphins facility. So there is room Tulane just needs the vision & the $$$$. It looks like Dannen has both. It will take time, but it could be done by 2020 or 2021.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dome Yulman !!!!... Sell the naming rights to Ronnie Lamarque...we will then have

The Lamarque Dome at Yulman Stadium with Benson Field...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:Just to be very clear TD has not talked about football facilities. In one interview when questioned about facilities he responded he would like to build a "practice facility". The media took that as a reference to an IPF. He has not addressed the needs for a football operations building.

Hopefully RD is done and not working on the olympic village and TD had gotten the Board to shift the priority to football's needs.
Yes he did. That's what made it a good interview. It shows in the short time here that that's been pointed out to him and he's taken note. Remember it appears WF took the job w/out coming here. You can bet as soon as he saw the football facilities he pointed out the deficiencies to TD.
You can bet he knew about those deficiencies before he got here.
Robert1969
Riptide

Jesus F-ing Christ, dudes! You guys are flipping out over the coach's first fluff interview? Seriously? What level of mental retardness does it take to judge a coach by a fluff interview on his first day on the job? You know that every program in the country has fluff interviews? You mean he didn't trash the entire university and his predecessors on his first day on the job? Wow.

Seriously, you know what? You guys are mentally disturbed and if you are going to sue Tulane for something sue them to make them pay for therapy for your PTSD.

Can you guys at least wait until his first practice before you start bashing the new coach?
Jonathan
Riptide

Was this interview years ago. Why keep posting it. sick
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

To follow the RECENT posts in this thread, it might make sense to go back and look at the dates of the EARLIER posts in this thread. Others need to see the difference between Tulane's President and the Football Coach.

This is a thread that started over an interview Fitts gave his first day as Tulane President. It was revived after the new coach, Willie FRitZ was introduced. The reason being is we've learned a whole lot more about Fitts' views on what Tulane Athletics should be by the hiring of Troy Dannen and Willie FRitZ than we did in the "fluff interview" with our President.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:

Yes he did.

Dickson was saying earlier this football season that we now had the facilities in place to win championships, which most casual observers knew to be preposterous.

Dannen listed a number of football facilities that aren't up to par and noted that you are never done investing in infrastructure.

100% opposite rmessage being delivered.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:
DrBox wrote:

Yes he did. That's what made it a good interview. It shows in the short time here that that's been pointed out to him and he's taken note. Remember it appears WF took the job w/out coming here. You can bet as soon as he saw the football facilities he pointed out the deficiencies to TD.
You can bet he knew about those deficiencies before he got here.
Box you know I love and respect you but you have taken things out of context here. When I originally posted I was dead on accurate. TD has now addressed the facilities issue. That doesn't change the accuracy of what I originally said. As for WF I again said the truth. He took the job w/out stepping foot on campus. So no he didn't know. As soon as he got here he saw the shit hole our facilities are and called TD's attention to it. I have been nothing but positive about the changes. I will never apologize for caring more about the substantive than just mere words. So far all the right things are being said by the appropriate parties. They need to follow up w/action.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:To follow the RECENT posts in this thread, it might make sense to go back and look at the dates of the EARLIER posts in this thread. Others need to see the difference between Tulane's President and the Football Coach.

This is a thread that started over an interview Fitts gave his first day as Tulane President. It was revived after the new coach, Willie FRitZ was introduced. The reason being is we've learned a whole lot more about Fitts' views on what Tulane Athletics should be by the hiring of Troy Dannen and Willie FRitZ than we did in the "fluff interview" with our President.
This.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Dannen specifically said Tulane's football facilities are adequate to compete in Conference USA, but not to compete with Houston, Memphis, and Central Florida in the AAC. He pointed out the weight room and facilities for recruits. You can bet he will be addressing that sooner rather than later. We haven't heard anything from him about the "Olympic Village".
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That's right, JerseyWave. I'm not sure if it's because he has nothing to do with the Olympic Village or because he's trying to scrap the project in favor of more critical issues for the money sports? I'd love it if upgrading the football facilities, including working out a plan for future expansion (it need not be started, just well planned in the event that we become a P5 target) of Yulman.

Let's strike up the 2nd Line for the "Tulane Model's" funeral.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote: As for WF I again said the truth. He took the job w/out stepping foot on campus. So no he didn't know. As soon as he got here he saw the sh*t hole our facilities are and called TD's attention to it. I have been nothing but positive about the changes. I will never apologize for caring more about the substantive than just mere words. So far all the right things are being said by the appropriate parties. They need to follow up w/action.
That's speculation. My speculation is that of course he knew. What coach worth his salt wouldn't ask about facilities? There was no point in hiding that. It's a weak spot that needs to be addressed. TD didn't need Fritz to tell him that the facilities weren't up to par. He may be prioritizing it more now (if he is). But I just don't believe he'd hide that from him.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote: As for WF I again said the truth. He took the job w/out stepping foot on campus. So no he didn't know. As soon as he got here he saw the sh*t hole our facilities are and called TD's attention to it. I have been nothing but positive about the changes. I will never apologize for caring more about the substantive than just mere words. So far all the right things are being said by the appropriate parties. They need to follow up w/action.
That's speculation. My speculation is that of course he knew. What coach worth his salt wouldn't ask about facilities? There was no point in hiding that. It's a weak spot that needs to be addressed. TD didn't need Fritz to tell him that the facilities weren't up to par. He may be prioritizing it more now (if he is). But I just don't believe he'd hide that from him.
Fritz knew exactly what the facilities were, that is what google maps are for !!!!... I still think the west side of Yulman can be built upward to house Football offices without the nimbys having one say...the 70/80 yard practice field next to Turchin can be enclosed...that is exactly the same size as TCU's IPF...and here is a novel idea...enclose Yulman in the same as the original Texas Stadium without the hole or an ability to close the hole when needed...no heat...no AC required...instant IPF and all weather for the fans...use the 80 yard filed to build the football offices and weight and training facility
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:
Well, I agree that CWF would have at least asked "is there an IPF? How are the facilities comparatively?" type of questions. BUt I think the point is that TD said "they aren't good enough and I'm going to build you what you need" was the response.

The point is that we no longer have leadership that literally did not know their own facilities strategy was comically inept and destroying the program.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
Let's strike up the 2nd Line for the "Tulane Model's" funeral.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
I never said anything was hidden. It's a fact that WF took the job w/out seeing the facilities. Asking and seeing are two vastly different things. Remember too that TD did his main interview in Atlanta. He came in to meet w/Fitts. So how much did he see? Bottom line is they are both taking the job on the belief of what we have claimed for a long time: that Tulane is a sleeping giant. Now that WF is here the stark reality of our piss poor facilities has been seen and concern has been expressed. That's a good thing and hopefully it is finally addressed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Fritz knew exactly what the facilities were, that is what google maps are for !!!!... I still think the west side of Yulman can be built upward to house Football offices without the nimbys having one say...the 70/80 yard practice field next to Turchin can be enclosed...that is exactly the same size as TCU's IPF...and here is a novel idea...enclose Yulman in the same as the original Texas Stadium without the hole or an ability to close the hole when needed...no heat...no AC required...instant IPF and all weather for the fans...use the 80 yard filed to build the football offices and weight and training facility
Google maps don't show the insides of those buildings. So no he didn't know what those facilities looked like.

AS TO THE PRACTICE FIELD IT IS NOW ONLY 50 YARDS. MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY IT HAS NOT BEEN AND CAN NEVER BE A PRACTICE FIELD. PLAYS HAVE NEVER BEEN RUN ON IT AND NEVER WILL BE. I HAVE POSTED NUMEROUS TIMES THAT IT IS ONLY USED FOR LINEMAN DRILLS AND KICKING. THE REASON PLAYS CAN'T BE RUN ON IT IS THAT THE SIDELINE BY TURCHIN IS JUST INCHES FROM THE FENCE THAT SEPARATES THE FIELD AND TURCHIN.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Well, I agree that CWF would have at least asked "is there an IPF? How are the facilities comparatively?" type of questions. BUt I think the point is that TD said "they aren't good enough and I'm going to build you what you need" was the response.

The point is that we no longer have leadership that literally did not know their own facilities strategy was comically inept and destroying the program.
As I have stated I think it is WF that pointed that out to TD not the other way around. If TD had seen it as a problem then he would have said so when first questioned by the media. But as I said above it's just good that it is finally being recognized as a problem.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
DrBox wrote:
Google maps don't show the insides of those buildings. So no he didn't know what those facilities looked like.

AS TO THE PRACTICE FIELD IT IS NOW ONLY 50 YARDS. MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY IT HAS NOT BEEN AND CAN NEVER BE A PRACTICE FIELD. PLAYS HAVE NEVER BEEN RUN ON IT AND NEVER WILL BE. I HAVE POSTED NUMEROUS TIMES THAT IT IS ONLY USED FOR LINEMAN DRILLS AND KICKING. THE REASON PLAYS CAN'T BE RUN ON IT IS THAT THE SIDELINE BY TURCHIN IS JUST INCHES FROM THE FENCE THAT SEPARATES THE FIELD AND TURCHIN.
well then, if it can't be a practice field, than put a building on it...weight room on the first floor....office / meeting rooms on the second..lineman can then do their drills on Ben Weiner Dr ... and thanks for posting in all caps, it made it easier to read you post !!!!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I put it in caps b/c I have posted that at least a dozen times.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Turchin is the problem. Put a new IPF where Turchin stands, and build a new Turchin at the Jefferson Highway location. There is no need to have baseball on campus. Most the fans are alums, and the only regular student fans are the players' girlfriends. You can then build whatever is needed on the current 50 yard practice field. Save the west upper deck and upper end zone decks for lots of new seats--that we'll need when WF gets us winning, and TD gets the Big 12 courting.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:Turchin is the problem. Put a new IPF where Turchin stands, and build a new Turchin at the Jefferson Highway location. There is no need to have baseball on campus. Most the fans are alums, and the only regular student fans are the players' girlfriends. You can then build whatever is needed on the current 50 yard practice field. Save the west upper deck and upper end zone decks for lots of new seats--that we'll need when WF gets us winning, and TD gets the Big 12 courting.
That's right. And once again, Tulane's biggest problems are cultural and political. It's obviously the right thing to do, but does anyone have the political b@lls to say "hey, that $10M investment of a few years ago was a big mistake and we have to tear it down"?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:Turchin is the problem. Put a new IPF where Turchin stands, and build a new Turchin at the Jefferson Highway location. There is no need to have baseball on campus. Most the fans are alums, and the only regular student fans are the players' girlfriends. You can then build whatever is needed on the current 50 yard practice field. Save the west upper deck and upper end zone decks for lots of new seats--that we'll need when WF gets us winning, and TD gets the Big 12 courting.
That's right. And once again, Tulane's biggest problems are cultural and political. It's obviously the right thing to do, but does anyone have the political b@lls to say "hey, that $10M investment of a few years ago was a big mistake and we have to tear it down"?
I will ask once more...is the area in front of the Riley center, where the original Tulane Stadium Filed was located, is that large enough for an IPF ?... If so put at University of Texas type IPF on that sport, minimal infrastructure require, since it is an inflatable bubble and use the 50 yard, plus end zones practice filed for your new second floor football offices / meeting rooms and ground floor wight and training facility. if this is built, have the offices overlook Yulman and the meeting rooms facing Turchin (no windows required)..as I noted previously, TCU's IPF is not 100 yards long, only 80
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
I will ask once more...is the area in front of the Riley center, where the original Tulane Stadium Filed was located, is that large enough for an IPF ?... If so put at University of Texas type IPF on that sport, minimal infrastructure require, since it is an inflatable bubble and use the 50 yard, plus end zones practice filed for your new second floor football offices / meeting rooms and ground floor wight and training facility. if this is built, have the offices overlook Yulman and the meeting rooms facing Turchin (no windows required)..as I noted previously, TCU's IPF is not 100 yards long, only 80
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981