Fitts on Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

posse wrote:Received the following response from President Fitts to my email, offering suggestions as to what needs to be done to make Tulane a top 25 program....He responded 24 hrs after sending him my email.

Dear Posse: I attend all the home games, and I share your frustration with the team’s record. The coaching staff and team members also are not satisfied. All of us want to see wins. In our search for a new Athletic Director, we’re working hard to find a great new leader for the athletics program. I appreciate you for sharing your ideas on strategies to enhance the program. We ask that you continue supporting the team through the remainder of the season as we look forward to brighter times ahead. Thank you for your ongoing interest, concern and support for Tulane.

My suggestions were:

Hire a dynamic Athletic Director whose expertise is hiring successful coaches….Fund raising will take care of itself when consistent winning is achieved.

Increase salaries to attract, hire and keep a successful Coach, and qualified coordinators and assistants.

Establish a Physical Education Major to attract and keep good athletes….We had this major in the 70’s and we competed very well.

Use the NCAA academic standards to admit and retain good athletes.. The higher, self imposed Tulane academic standard has been a disaster.

Recruit Junior College players, and accept their college credits.

Feel free to share my suggestions with your staff.
You left something out.
Once I see these things in place my $10,000,000 check will clear. Lol

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I want to personally thank you Dr. Fitts for putting Tulane University back on the track for success that I haven't seen for quite sometime. The progress you have shown in the short time you've been here in academics, athletics and fiscal policy is nothing short of brilliance. You have given back alums and fans like myself the hope and pride for Tulane University both in the classroom and on the field. I am so looking forward to 2016 and the future.
Thank You!
Tim Sweeney
Class of 1981
Roll Wave!
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Certainly, we wake this morning with a whole lot more hope for the future of Tulane Athletics than we had just 10 days ago. President Fitts seems to have an agenda, and slowly but surely the agenda is revealing itself to be a distinct change of direction from the previous regime. This is true, as Tim says above, in the classroom, the boardroom, and in the athletic fields. I hope the momentum continues.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:Certainly, we wake this morning with a whole lot more hope for the future of Tulane Athletics than we had just 10 days ago. President Fitts seems to have an agenda, and slowly but surely the agenda is revealing itself to be a distinct change of direction from the previous regime. This is true, as Tim says above, in the classroom, the boardroom, and in the athletic fields. I hope the momentum continues.
Looks like a culture change is finally underway.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Certainly, we wake this morning with a whole lot more hope for the future of Tulane Athletics than we had just 10 days ago. President Fitts seems to have an agenda, and slowly but surely the agenda is revealing itself to be a distinct change of direction from the previous regime. This is true, as Tim says above, in the classroom, the boardroom, and in the athletic fields. I hope the momentum continues.
Looks like a culture change is finally underway.
speaking of change...don't be surprised if UTEP and Rice become members of the Mountain West Conference
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Jonathan wrote:In my opinion Tulane President Fitts is another Scott Cowen which is a disaster for Tulane athletics.
Pete is Trolling again.
GreenGears
Low Tide

Show Me wrote:
Jonathan wrote:In my opinion Tulane President Fitts is another Scott Cowen which is a disaster for Tulane athletics.
Pete is Trolling again.
I used to think Jonathan was a senile old man, but every day I am being convinced more and more that he is just a troll.
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenGears wrote:
Show Me wrote:
Pete is Trolling again.
I used to think Jonathan was a senile old man, but every day I am being convinced more and more that he is just a troll.
Same here.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If you didn't catch the beginning of today's press conference formally introducing Willie Fritz as our 40th Head Coach, I think it noteworthy how much emphasis both Fitts and Dannen put on this hire. Both said this is a critical hire, Dannen going so far as to say that this will ALWAYS be the most important decision that he has made in his career. (It's also noteworthy that Fitts, Dannen and Fritz mentioned the efforts of Barbara Burke in their moments at the podium. She's an asset that the University is lucky to have. Her professionalism in the wake of being snubbed for the AD job tells me it's not long before she's running her own program somewhere.)

There really seems to be a break with the Cowen model. Actions speak louder than words, and it seems to me that Fitts, by not letting RD hire a new coach (or retain CJ) sent a clear signal that winning will be more important than it was in the previous regime. Fitts has taken control, and the Tulane Model is finally something we can bury as a failed experiment.

Now, let's pray that the change in attitude infects the entire Tulane community, and results on the gridiron reflect this change.

ROLL WAVE!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:If you didn't catch the beginning of today's press conference formally introducing Willie Fritz as our 40th Head Coach, I think it noteworthy how much emphasis both Fitts and Dannen put on this hire. Both said this is a critical hire, Dannen going so far as to say that this will ALWAYS be the most important decision that he has made in his career. (It's also noteworthy that Fitts, Dannen and Fritz mentioned the efforts of Barbara Burke in their moments at the podium. She's an asset that the University is lucky to have. Her professionalism in the wake of being snubbed for the AD job tells me it's not long before she's running her own program somewhere.)

There really seems to be a break with the Cowen model. Actions speak louder than words, and it seems to me that Fitts, by not letting RD hire a new coach (or retain CJ) sent a clear signal that winning will be more important than it was in the previous regime. Fitts has taken control, and the Tulane Model is finally something we can bury as a failed experiment.

Now, let's pray that the change in attitude infects the entire Tulane community, and results on the gridiron reflect this change.

ROLL WAVE!
That's a fair analysis. The loyalists to the Tulane Model are being pushed out and quickly. RD, Yvette Jones, CJ, Momic in the past few weeks alone.

Not only that, their replacements so far look really good. We're going from really poor leadership to really good leadership in one fell swoop. It's amazing what happens when you try to hire the best candidate, not the weak candidate who can be controlled and made into a yes-man.

Now they will spend the next bulk of their careers undoing the damage caused by the Tulane Model. Can they do it? Is it too little too late? I'm not certain but I know that I have great faith in this group to pull it off.
Forever TU
Surge

One thing I really like about Fitts is his enthusiasm. Moreover, it's no showboat-y or "overarching" like Cowen used to be. Fitts clearly recognizes the importance of Atheltic success but he also knows this is Dannen's show.

A team of Fits - Fritz - Dannen - Burke is going to be huge for us.

Have worked under Barbara, I really
Hope she gets her shot and like others have said it's great that the prez and TD recognize her value
alumniwave
Low Tide

Absolutely agree. Fitts surprised me how he's handled everything the last couple weeks. Also knew people would recognize how valuable Burke is. Dannen will be able to really make an impact with Burke doing a lot of the ground work for him.
JerseyWave
Riptide

It really appears that after Dickson fired CJ, Fitts for all intents and purposes fired Dickson. He has not been heard from since. He was absent at Dannen's intro and absent at Fritz's intro. Dickson is gone! He does not get a victory lap or farewell tour. Good Riddance!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:It really appears that after Dickson fired CJ, Fitts for all intents and purposes fired Dickson. He has not been heard from since. He was absent at Dannen's intro and absent at Fritz's intro. Dickson is gone! He does not get a victory lap or farewell tour. Good Riddance!
He's no longer Athletics Director, and has been re-assigned to a "Special Assistant" to President Fitts role. We can all do a victory lap! Adios, tricky Rick. Please pay for your parking spot on the way out.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:It really appears that after Dickson fired CJ, Fitts for all intents and purposes fired Dickson. He has not been heard from since. He was absent at Dannen's intro and absent at Fritz's intro. Dickson is gone! He does not get a victory lap or farewell tour. Good Riddance!
So true. With Cowen, Tricky Ricky and CJ out of Tulane athletics, we have removed all the poison from the water. Recovery and progress can truly begin. Those three stooges were radioactive, damaging anybody and everybody that got near them. Good Riddance is right!!!
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
He's no longer Athletics Director, and has been re-assigned to a "Special Assistant" to President Fitts role. We can all do a victory lap! Adios, tricky Rick. Please pay for your parking spot on the way out.
Wonder if his involvement with the Olympic Village has ended?

And here's to the folks on the YOGWF board that were so outraged when we paid for the 'Fire Dickson' banner at homecoming 2014: NOW THAT THE CAUSE (AND SOLUTION) OF TULANE ATHLETICS WOES IS CLEAR TO EVERYONE, WE ARE AWAITING YOUR FORMAL APOLOGY!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It is my (admittedly uniformed) understanding that the Olympic Village is Dickson's last project with Tulane.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
So true. With Cowen, Tricky Ricky and CJ out of Tulane athletics, we have removed all the poison from the water. Recovery and progress can truly begin. Those three stooges were radioactive, damaging anybody and everybody that got near them. Good Riddance is right!!!
For the first time in 15 years, things aren't getting worse by the day. Bring in what looks to be a really good leadership team and now things are getting better by the day.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
Wonder if his involvement with the Olympic Village has ended?

And here's to the folks on the YOGWF board that were so outraged when we paid for the 'Fire Dickson' banner at homecoming 2014: NOW THAT THE CAUSE (AND SOLUTION) OF TULANE ATHLETICS WOES IS CLEAR TO EVERYONE, WE ARE AWAITING YOUR FORMAL APOLOGY!
Actually, this is the big test of how much power Cowen still wields. The plan going into the AD search was for the new AD to work alongside Dickson on the Olympic Village, which was a disastrous sign. Since Dannen arrived, nary a peep from Dickson and hopefully it stays that way.

Now Dannen has been explicit about the needs for football facilities, and obviously so because he's competent. Unlike Dickson. And we haven't heard anything about any Olympic Village from Dannen.

If priorities have shifted to Dannen's correct priorities and Dickson's influence is gone along with his job title, then Fitts did indeed successfully execute a power play against Cowen. If Dickson is still working on the Olympic Village, we know there is still work to be done there.
waveclem
Surge

The only thing we heard from Dickson was his rebuttal to the news of Johnson's firing, which was quickly confirmed despite his public remarks to the media. It tells me that the decision to fire Johnson was out of his hands along with any other power he had. Times are changing my friends!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Just to be very clear TD has not talked about football facilities. In one interview when questioned about facilities he responded he would like to build a "practice facility". The media took that as a reference to an IPF. He has not addressed the needs for a football operations building.

Hopefully RD is done and not working on the olympic village and TD had gotten the Board to shift the priority to football's needs.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bham Wave
Ripple

I will not miss RD's rambling, non sensical press conferences.

Our new AD has an energy that we never saw under RD. He is active on Twitter and social media which in 2015 is how folks communicate. One tweet from TD will hit more folks than one of RD's emails or letters.

Believe it or not I actually feel good about our men's basketball team for once. We have some nice young athletes and TD gives me some confidence that this clown show will not continue past this year.

Heading into the 2016 school year we will have a first year football and basketball coach and a third year baseball coach. This is in addition to a 3rd year president and an AD 9 months into his tenure. This certainly is a new age for Tulane.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

I met Fitts at the UCF game, when the gf and I used her dad's Glazer Club tickets, and as an outsider I could tell he was not happy with the athletic situation. I could just tell from the tone of his voice. He was really interested when I told him that I was a former Tulane recruit, and that my cousin had been recruited by Tulane and both of us turned Toolame sorry Tulane down because of the bad practice facilities. So hopefully the athletic village surprised yall.
DrBox
Riptide

winwave wrote:Just to be very clear TD has not talked about football facilities. In one interview when questioned about facilities he responded he would like to build a "practice facility". The media took that as a reference to an IPF. He has not addressed the needs for a football operations building.

Hopefully RD is done and not working on the olympic village and TD had gotten the Board to shift the priority to football's needs.
He certainly did in last night's interview.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
winwave wrote:Just to be very clear TD has not talked about football facilities. In one interview when questioned about facilities he responded he would like to build a "practice facility". The media took that as a reference to an IPF. He has not addressed the needs for a football operations building.

He certainly did in last night's interview.
Yes he did. That's what made it a good interview. It shows in the short time here that that's been pointed out to him and he's taken note. Remember it appears WF took the job w/out coming here. You can bet as soon as he saw the football facilities he pointed out the deficiencies to TD.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.