Transfers

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
posse
High Tide

Caught tailend of Eric Ascher Show today. He had Scott Kushner on, and Kushner said if CJ stayed, 15-20 football players were going to transfer out.. Hopefully that changes with WF....Clearly Tulane made the right decision.
Last edited by posse on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

posse wrote:Caught tailend of Eric Arscher Show today. He had Scott Kushner on, and Kushner said if CJ stayed, 15-20 football team members were going to transfer out.. Hopefully this changes with WF....Clearly Tulane made the right decision.
No they didn't. The right decision was to fire him last year or not hire him at all.

It's a staple of the Rick Dickson era that a major program would either quit or have a mutiny before a coach would get fired and we need to reset the bar much higher than "prevented a mutiny".

Dickson's incompetence is going to become more and more apparent as we see what happens with professional adults.
capwave
High Tide

That is telling of where CJ had led this program. And it definitely was not down the right road.
puffy
Surge

"We need to recruit more than the state of Louisiana, though. We need to find people who will fit our profile, academically. They need to come in and succeed academically. There isn't any point in bringing in someone who is going to be here for just a semester or two."
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... bile_index

Quote from WF at his press conference. I wonder if this is a not-so-subtle hint that there will be a number of academic casualties announced in the coming weeks.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I've already posted about that in another thread. Indications are that that will be the case.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
OUG
Riptide

This is why the idea of Tulane self-imposed "recruiting limitations" strikes me as missing the point.

To my knowledge, Tulane currently has not "exceptions policy" or elevated admissions standard above NCAA minimums. Maybe we did in the past, but from what I've read, we don't now. And that's proven by our academic results. We're taking kids from NOPS schools and some other underperforming schools and they're not academically performing once they get here, even in the easier majors. Unlike a Notre Dame or a Stanford, we aren't making these kids take some rigorous core curriculum (e.g., athletes at both must take calculus). The core curriculum at Tulane is much softer. But they do have to do work, they do have to manage their time. It's not rocket science but they aren't equipped in a lot of cases with the study skills to make it.

But that's not the point, is it? Forget the test scores -- you can have NCAA minimum admissions standards, and we should -- but if you're recruiting kids without any consideration on whether or not they are prepared to get basic classroom work done in classes like music appreciation and geology (e.g., rocks for jocks), you're not going to be helping your team on the field when those kids either can't play or are so overwhelmed that they can't perform athletically. It isn't just test scores or GPA numbers. You can have a low test score and still be capable of doing the work. We just need a staff that is willing to put the work in to identify the right kids. And yes, no offense to NOLA, but we may need to widen our recruiting territory to find them.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:This is why the idea of Tulane self-imposed "recruiting limitations" strikes me as missing the point.

To my knowledge, Tulane currently has not "exceptions policy" or elevated admissions standard above NCAA minimums. Maybe we did in the past, but from what I've read, we don't now. And that's proven by our academic results. We're taking kids from NOPS schools and some other underperforming schools and they're not academically performing once they get here, even in the easier majors. Unlike a Notre Dame or a Stanford, we aren't making these kids take some rigorous core curriculum (e.g., athletes at both must take calculus). The core curriculum at Tulane is much softer. But they do have to do work, they do have to manage their time. It's not rocket science but they aren't equipped in a lot of cases with the study skills to make it.

But that's not the point, is it? Forget the test scores -- you can have NCAA minimum admissions standards, and we should -- but if you're recruiting kids without any consideration on whether or not they are prepared to get basic classroom work done in classes like music appreciation and geology (e.g., rocks for jocks), you're not going to be helping your team on the field when those kids either can't play or are so overwhelmed that they can't perform athletically. It isn't just test scores or GPA numbers. You can have a low test score and still be capable of doing the work. We just need a staff that is willing to put the work in to identify the right kids. And yes, no offense to NOLA, but we may need to widen our recruiting territory to find them.
And my problem with all this is that the idea that calculus is more useful than geology is just a BS myth perpetuated by ivory tower eggheads like Cowen.

Having basic knowledge of calculus made a whole lot more sense in the days before everyone had an internet connected supercomputer in their pocket, which is to say even very recently.

There's nothing wrong with a football program that optimizes for a career in football as opposed to a career in calculus.
puffy
Surge

The narrative in the Scelfo and Toledo eras was that Tulane didn't recruit enough locally. At least that was a presumed reason why Tulane wasn't winning.

Now the pendulum is swinging back to Tulane needing to recruit nationally, and that CJ didn't do enough beyond SE Louisiana (Ted Lewis suggested this in one of his articles a few weeks back prior to CJ getting fired). At least that's one of the reasons why Tulane wasn't winning.

No one will care where the players are coming from as long as Tulane wins.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

puffy wrote:The narrative in the Scelfo and Toledo eras was that Tulane didn't recruit enough locally. At least that was a presumed reason why Tulane wasn't winning.

Now the pendulum is swinging back to Tulane needing to recruit nationally, and that CJ didn't do enough beyond SE Louisiana (Ted Lewis suggested this in one of his articles a few weeks back prior to CJ getting fired). At least that's one of the reasons why Tulane wasn't winning.

The only thing CJ did right was to focus on making inroads into the local market and trying to establish "the State of Tulane". There are more than enough football players in this region to sustain a top 25 program.

We didn't have the facilities to attract the guys with P5 offers, and we didn't have the strength and conditioning program or coaching to take advantage of the talent we did land.

I'm fine with a local focus. Just cut with the PC BS and find a way to keep them in school.
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:This is why the idea of Tulane self-imposed "recruiting limitations" strikes me as missing the point.

And my problem with all this is that the idea that calculus is more useful than geology is just a BS myth perpetuated by ivory tower eggheads like Cowen.

Having basic knowledge of calculus made a whole lot more sense in the days before everyone had an internet connected supercomputer in their pocket, which is to say even very recently.

There's nothing wrong with a football program that optimizes for a career in football as opposed to a career in calculus.
But Cowen didn't mandate calculus and nobody here is either.

So I don't get your point.
OUG
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
puffy wrote:The narrative in the Scelfo and Toledo eras was that Tulane didn't recruit enough locally. At least that was a presumed reason why Tulane wasn't winning.

The only thing CJ did right was to focus on making inroads into the local market and trying to establish "the State of Tulane". There are more than enough football players in this region to sustain a top 25 program.

We didn't have the facilities to attract the guys with P5 offers, and we didn't have the strength and conditioning program or coaching to take advantage of the talent we did land.

I'm fine with a local focus. Just cut with the PC BS and find a way to keep them in school.
You do realize that no matter how much you dumb down the classes, and how much help you give them, they do have to do some work, right?

You can lead a horse to water...
RobertM320
Green Wave

The simple fact of the matter is, we're bringing in kids that either aren't equipped with the skills needed to pass classes, regardless of whether the class is geology or calculus, or they're not willing to do the work. And that's of no benefit to them or us.

Be realistic, some people just aren't cut out for college.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We haven't had a coach who was a leader that instilled the discipline into these young men to do the necessary work. WE NOW HAVE SUCH A LEADER !
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

WF has clearly said we are expanding our recruiting territory.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yes he has been absolutist in protection of such policies which include our farce policy towards JC transfers. That Tulane decides which college classes matter in the course of a college education would be merely elitist if it weren't also idiotic. Education and the world have changed. The degree matters more than the institution. A computer science degree from LSU or Alabama or Louisiana Tech is substantially more valuable in the job market then a humanities major from Tulane. Ask anyone under the age of 30 and they will assure you this is 1000% true.

And this is the guy who got rid of engineering to focus on liberal arts.

Most of Tulane's classes and these "unacceptable" JC classes that cause us to be unable to take almost any JC transfers have a lot in common, primarily that both are worthless in the job market. Not accepting kids that want to and successfully study, well anything, is provably idiotic even before discussing the disadvantage it is to the athletic department.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

You do realize that no matter how much you dumb down the classes, and how much help you give them, they do have to do some work, right?

You can lead a horse to water...
Sorry but the story with JC's is that Tulane considers most junior college transfer credit worthless. It's a policy that provably accomplishes nothing while diminishing the athletic department's chances for success.

That some might do no work is another point. It's outrageous to say that recruiting locally produces lazier players.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

posse wrote:Caught tailend of Eric Ascher Show today. He had Scott Kushner on, and Kushner said if CJ stayed, 15-20 football players were going to transfer out.. Hopefully that changes with WF....Clearly Tulane made the right decision.
If this is true and the treatments of the Van Hooser kid and others can be proven, then CJ was fired with cause an should not get one cent
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenphantom
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
posse wrote:Caught tailend of Eric Ascher Show today. He had Scott Kushner on, and Kushner said if CJ stayed, 15-20 football players were going to transfer out.. Hopefully that changes with WF....Clearly Tulane made the right decision.
If this is true and the treatments of the Van Hooser kid and others can be proven, then CJ was fired with cause an should not get one cent
Did Kushner expand at all as to why? I'd be interested in knowing if it was more of a personality thing or because they they had no confidence in him. Regardless what a disaster hire he was.
SobeWave
Ripple

jonathanjoseph wrote:

Both recruiting styles were wrong. You need a mix of both. Strong local ties plus a national net that attracts top student athletes. Some kids don't want to stay local. They want to go away and grow. We can compete with kids going to Stanford, Duke, Notre Dame etc. Sell the school and the city. I know plenty ok kids in south Florida who would have considered going to Tulane if recruited.

A strong academic school like Tulane needs to recruit nationally.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Even by RD's standards, the fact that he allowed CJ to finish the season is mind boggling. Another wasted four years. Luckily I feel like we are in the best shape since 1998. I may be wearing green glasses but the TD and WF hires are home runs. Keeping Burke is very encouraging as well.
TU23
High Tide

You just have to be selective regarding who you take a chance on. I knew several of the Karr players from 2 years ago in the Willis, Noil class. Several of them could barely read and most of them were academically on about an 8th grade level. They get passed along because nobody wants to deal with them. Then they take the ACT 20 times and focus on one section each time and their cumulative score makes them eligible. We can't mess with stuff like that. Of the 10 or so recruits that signed a D-1 scholarship from Karr that year, 8 of them are at different schools. The only two that aren't are Donnie Alexander at LSU and Speedy Noil.

We need to branch out into Texas/Alabama/Miss/Florida/Georgia where there are some better public schools (at least in FL and TX) and also try to recruit select players from around the country who fit what we want to do. I'm definitely not advocating for a restrictive academic policy, but you just have to figure out who is worth the risk and who isn't and that should be left up to the coaches, not the Tulane admin.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Yes he has been absolutist in protection of such policies which include our farce policy towards JC transfers. That Tulane decides which college classes matter in the course of a college education would be merely elitist if it weren't also idiotic. Education and the world have changed. The degree matters more than the institution. A computer science degree from LSU or Alabama or Louisiana Tech is substantially more valuable in the job market then a humanities major from Tulane. Ask anyone under the age of 30 and they will assure you this is 1000% true.

Most of Tulane's classes and these "unacceptable" JC classes that cause us to be unable to take almost any JC transfers have a lot in common, primarily that both are worthless in the job market. Not accepting kids that want to and successfully study, well anything, is provably idiotic even before discussing the disadvantage it is to the athletic department.
JJ, PLEASE READ THE MESSAGE YOU ARE RESPONDING TO!

Cowen DID NOT put nearly as tough an academic requirement for ADMITTED STUDENT ATHLETES as some of the better Universities have. Notre Dame and Stanford make the athletes they accept take harder classes, and they do just fine thank you very much. The point that OUG is making is that we have to find kids that have the tools to succeed academically, even if the major is jock oriented. It's not about Cowen and Engineering vs. Liberal Arts. The fact of the matter is Tulane DOES have exceptions, but CJ didn't use them to recruit kids that were prepared for even a watered down version of Tulane. Liberal Arts or University College, it doesn't matter, these kids were not making the grades the NCAA and Tulane require to stay active on the field.

The last sentence of your post is actually in (violent) agreement with OUG's post! IT'S HIS POINT, YET YOUR ARGUING IT! And your argument, as laid out by the rest of your post, is more about Cowen than it is about the post you responded to. Yes, the topics are related, but so are apples and oranges. :roll:
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
OUG wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

JJ, PLEASE READ THE MESSAGE YOU ARE RESPONDING TO!

Cowen DID NOT put nearly as tough an academic requirement for ADMITTED STUDENT ATHLETES as some of the better Universities have. Notre Dame and Stanford make the athletes they accept take harder classes, and they do just fine thank you very much. The point that OUG is making is that we have to find kids that have the tools to succeed academically, even if the major is jock oriented. It's not about Cowen and Engineering vs. Liberal Arts. The fact of the matter is Tulane DOES have exceptions, but CJ didn't use them to recruit kids that were prepared for even a watered down version of Tulane. Liberal Arts or University College, it doesn't matter, these kids were not making the grades the NCAA and Tulane require to stay active on the field.

The last sentence of your post is actually in (violent) agreement with OUG's post! IT'S HIS POINT, YET YOUR ARGUING IT! And your argument, as laid out by the rest of your post, is more about Cowen than it is about the post you responded to. Yes, the topics are related, but so are apples and oranges. :roll:
No I got it. What I'm saying is that instead of looking for students who have the tools to succeed already maybe Tulane should focus on GIVING the tools to succeed to local students, among others.

The Cowen doctrine is such a conflicting piece of garbage that he spent all his effort talking about how he saved NOLA but whose academic policies put a Tulane education out of reach for most New Orleanians.
JerseyWave
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote: The Cowen doctrine is such a conflicting piece of garbage that he spent all his effort talking about how he saved NOLA but whose academic policies put a Tulane education out of reach for most New Orleanians.
Someone had to pay Cowen's $1.6 million salary, Mrs. Cowen's six figure pay, and Yvette Jone's $800,000.