Welcome Aboard Willie Fritz and staff!!!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats to our new HC! He's been a winner at every stop and is someone who clearly wanted to step up. Looks like a coach who adapts his offense to his talent. At his age he just might stay which is an added bonus.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

S B Nation http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... head-coach and Sports Illustrated http://www.si.com/college-football/2015 ... a-southern report Willie Fritz is our new coach. :1thumb:
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Low risk for TD's first big coaching decision as AD. He wanted a proven winner and Fritz checks that box.
Hopefully he can correct special teams, recruit and build a fun offense to watch. The last few years in those areas were brutal.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

it must be true...ESPN is now reporting the hiring

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ern-eagles
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

Yeah Willie!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wouldn't it be great if Willie Fritz stays a real long time and becomes Tulane's version of Bill Snyder? I wish I hadn't started the thread about not wanting him and his triple option. Clearly, he's a winner, let's welcome him and hope his magic works in Uptown New Orleans.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

He's a modest, rather unassuming guy--who has largely been overlooked throughout his career. He's not flashy, doesn't exhibit a big ego, and all he does is WIN. And as winwave pointed out, if he and his family jell with N.O., given his stage in life, we just might have a long term keeper.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bigschtick
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:Wouldn't it be great if Willie Fritz stays a real long time and becomes Tulane's version of Bill Snyder? I wish I hadn't started the thread about not wanting him and his triple option. Clearly, he's a winner, let's welcome him and hope his magic works in Uptown New Orleans.

Well said DfromCT!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
greenie78
Riptide

Really excited about the hire. Even if he doesn't stay long-term, it's still a good hire.
Robert1969
Riptide

I think it is important to note that a couple years ago Fritz stated that he doesn't need a mobile QB for his offense to work.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'd like to see Lionel Washington and Jason Rollins retained for sure.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thanks for moving that post here tps.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

This hire is about as opposite of the CJ hire as one can get. No experience versus a ton of experience.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I hope this is as good as it sounds. Don't know if I can wait until next September!

I would not have believed that this much positive change could take place in less than one month.

Think I saw pigs taking flight over Yulman!
puffy
Surge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTj0DBHakM

Coach Fritz acceptance speech for winning the Liberty Mutual FCS coach of the year in 2012. Looks like we're going to get a lot more fire roaming the Tulane sidelines.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Thanks for moving that post here tps.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Saw this somewhere:
The 55-year-old Fritz will bring a distinct style to Tulane, as Georgia Southern ran a hybrid triple option attack from both the shotgun and pistol last season. That will make the Green Wave one of the most difficult teams to prepare for in the American Athletic Conference.
Tulane Class of 1981
dpm wave
Swell

side note:

Fritz and Pierce were at SHSU together. I think there's some inherent benefits that they know each other and probably have worked together in some fashion.

Also, now we have Fitts and Fritz. :shock:
puffy
Surge

I'll definitely renew my season tix for 2016. Might actually try to make a few games too...
galvezwave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Saw this somewhere:
The 55-year-old Fritz will bring a distinct style to Tulane, as Georgia Southern ran a hybrid triple option attack from both the shotgun and pistol last season. That will make the Green Wave one of the most difficult teams to prepare for in the American Athletic Conference.
Boy, won't that be a welcome change!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

JerseyWave
Riptide

Great Hire! The only other name that had me excited was Lincoln Riley and we don't even know if Dannen approached him. Might be premature anyway for Riley to become Head Coach at age 32, but clearly he's a rising star.

Fritz is an excellent choice, a proven winner. Hopefully he's given the money to hire a great staff. I would love to keep Rollins and Lionel.

The next move for Dannen is to get to work on a Football operations building.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

TD!!!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

dpm wave wrote:side note:

Fritz and Pierce were at SHSU together. I think there's some inherent benefits that they know each other and probably have worked together in some fashion.

Also, now we have Fitts and Fritz. :shock:
Does SHSU have a basketball coach? :-D
ExileWave
Surge

tpstulane wrote:I'd like to see Lionel Washington and Jason Rollins retained for sure.
His DC and OC at Ga So have lots of experience. If one is not promoted look for them to come to Tulane. His OC was with Fritz at Sam Houston. The DC also coaches secondary.