Potential head football coach candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
wave97
Swell

The logic on this board for hiring a HC seems to be: Let's find a coach who can pick up a bunch of "skill" players that just fall off of trees in Louisiana and scheme our way to success with some high octane offensive system.
We need to be looking for a coach who can effectively attract the biggest and baddest offensive & defensive lineman available from anywhere in the country. We need a HC that caters to our "weakness", not our "strength".
Ed Orgeron
Mike Bloomgren

Jaxwave
Swell

Wave 97, I would love to think we could recruit those types and maybe in the new conference we have a better chance. History will tell u, however, that at Tulane a deceptive offensive scheme is the way to go for the very fact that we have had trouble recruiting the bigs.
Highwave
Low Tide

Jaxwave wrote:Wave 97, I would love to think we could recruit those types and maybe in the new conference we have a better chance. History will tell u, however, that at Tulane a deceptive offensive scheme is the way to go for the very fact that we have had trouble recruiting the bigs.
+1
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wave97 wrote:The logic on this board for hiring a HC seems to be: Let's find a coach who can pick up a bunch of "skill" players that just fall off of trees in Louisiana and scheme our way to success with some high octane offensive system.
We need to be looking for a coach who can effectively attract the biggest and baddest offensive & defensive lineman available from anywhere in the country. We need a HC that caters to our "weakness", not our "strength".
Ed Orgeron
Mike Bloomgren
Nah, you hire the best man for the job and let him hire the right assistants. Like Patterson at TCU, a defensive guy who correctly adjusted his offensive approach via new coordinators.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:Wave 97, I would love to think we could recruit those types and maybe in the new conference we have a better chance. History will tell u, however, that at Tulane a deceptive offensive scheme is the way to go for the very fact that we have had trouble recruiting the bigs.
Every school has trouble attracting lineman..a big kid in high school dominates because he is big, but is usually just overweight , fat and lazy...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Every school has trouble attracting lineman..a big kid in high school dominates because he is big, but is usually just overweight , fat and lazy...
Evaluating talent and player development is still the key. Recruit a two star 220lb 6'5" tight end and two years later you have your 325lb OT with feet and explosiveness. Most of the packaged behemoths out of high school are sh*tbirds who will take up a roster spot while riding the bench for 4, or 5 years. Recruit 6 tight ends every year and you'll be amazed with what you wind up with under skilled coaching and training.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

OUG wrote:That's literrally all speculation. Its just a list of head coaches that being mentioned in various job searches, hence, "coaches in demand include."

Dannen is playing his cards really close to the vest here. This is an area where you actually should be silent.
Yeah perhaps. But long term, Dannen needs to end this cone of silence bull$hit because that's the only way to win the public back.
SobeWave
Ripple

OUG wrote:That's literrally all speculation. Its just a list of head coaches that being mentioned in various job searches, hence, "coaches in demand include."

Dannen is playing his cards really close to the vest here. This is an area where you actually should be silent.

Off course BUT at least someone is writing about us and potential hires. We need some Buzz. Good for fans, recruits etc. Obviously TD is going to keep his search private but that doesn't prevent the local and national media for speculating which is nothing but good PR.
Wave755
Tsunami

+1, Bowden/RR ran misdirection plays and a quarterback draw out of the shotgun for a running game. Teevens, "Buffet" Bob Toledo & CJ all ran right at people and we know how that worked out. No G5 program has or ever will have so dominant an offensive line for running right at its opponents.
sader24
Tsunami

If Dannen is good then ideally you want all coaching searches to remain as quiet as possible. The problem with Dickson was he was horrendous at selecting coaches so you wanted the searches public so u knew what land mine he was about to step on.
wave97
Swell

Misdirection? Are we proposing the wingT? The only saving grace for the spread when facing a skilled defense is a mobile QB. Without a mobile QB the spread has limited possibilities. Memphis looked good, until they didn't. Baylor looked good until they didn't. Clemson or UNC will look good until they won't. That's the spread, it looks like fun, until it isn't because it is fundamentally limited to zone killing.
austxwave
High Tide

Scott Kushner retweeted a tweet from Football Scoop...didn't see it posted here so:

"Word out of NYC is Tulane AD Troy Dannen is doing work. Hearing good things from coaches up there."

That's refreshing!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote:Misdirection? Are we proposing the wingT? The only saving grace for the spread when facing a skilled defense is a mobile QB. Without a mobile QB the spread has limited possibilities. Memphis looked good, until they didn't. Baylor looked good until they didn't. Clemson or UNC will look good until they won't. That's the spread, it looks like fun, until it isn't because it is fundamentally limited to zone killing.
Look we get it. You don't like the spread. You like old school smash mouth football. The rest of see that we don't have the linemen now nor will we anytime soon to run that type of offense. The spread offense has helped elevate many downtrodden programs. We are situated in an area that has an abundance of the type of players that can perform in that offense at a very high level. Our best showing in modern times was w/that offense. I'll take being #7.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jaxwave
Swell

High school programs are putting way more mobile QBs out than drop back ones.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:
wave97 wrote:Misdirection? Are we proposing the wingT? The only saving grace for the spread when facing a skilled defense is a mobile QB. Without a mobile QB the spread has limited possibilities. Memphis looked good, until they didn't. Baylor looked good until they didn't. Clemson or UNC will look good until they won't. That's the spread, it looks like fun, until it isn't because it is fundamentally limited to zone killing.
Look we get it. You don't like the spread. You like old school smash mouth football. The rest of see that we don't have the linemen now nor will we anytime soon to run that type of offense. The spread offense has helped elevate many downtrodden programs. We are situated in an area that has an abundance of the type of players that can perform in that offense at a very high level. Our best showing in modern times was w/that offense. I'll take being #7.[/quote

I am trying like hell to figure out why we would not want a defense to defend the complete field ?... Gawd the University of Texas @ Austin is going to the damn spread...but U want Tulane with it's 4 star lineman recruits to run the power I ...and become the next "Tailback U"

regarding the wing T and later the 'Bone....they both looked good, until they weren't...the game keeps evolving, better athletes are on Defense than ever before, all the more reason to spread them out...I remember when no one could stop the Houston Veer, especially the early years of the admittance into the old SWC where they won 3 of the 4 first championships they were eligible for...The SWC admitted Houston but in their first year of conference play were not eligible to win the championship, even tho they actually won the thing on the field of play

regarding Baylor, and I am no fan of Briles...they were playing their 3 and 4 QB's both of whom were wide outs an had not played QB since high school and they were still competitive with TCU and Texas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

As Tommy Bowden repeatedly joked in '97-'98, "have you noticed we aren't blockin'em as much as we're trick'em." :1thumb:

And, even with Matt Forte, probably our greatest fullback ever, smashmouth still didn't work? :megagrin:
dpm wave
Swell

I would be content with any of the following:

Mike Bloomgren
Blake Anderson
Jeff Brohm
Lincoln Riley
P J Fleck
D J Durkin
OUG
Riptide

Durkin was hired by Maryland already.
DrBox
Riptide

dpm wave wrote:I would be content with any of the following:

Mike Bloomgren
Blake Anderson
Jeff Brohm
Lincoln Riley
P J Fleck
D J Durkin
Who is Bloomgren? Stanford guy? I just don't want a pro style O if we aren't going to nationally recruit for OL.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote:
dpm wave wrote:I would be content with any of the following:

Mike Bloomgren
Blake Anderson
Jeff Brohm
Lincoln Riley
P J Fleck
D J Durkin
Who is Bloomgren? Stanford guy? I just don't want a pro style O if we aren't going to nationally recruit for OL.
Doc... do U get my reply to your e mail ?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Guerry Smith reporting it to be a BIG XII OC.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Robert1969
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:
austxwave wrote:
SobeWave wrote:Finally some names have emerged. Not from Dannen per se but at least the press is doing some work...we have zero buzz nationally right now regarding the potential hire.

via the Advocate

"Current Football Bowl Subdivision coaches in demand include Appalachian State’s Scott Satterfield, who led the Mountaineers to a 10-2 record and a berth in the Camellia Bowl in his third year; Arkansas State’s Blake Anderson, who guided the Red Wolves (9-3) to the Sun Belt championship in his second year; third-year Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey, who has put the Huskies in the MAC title game every season and won it in 2014; second-year Western Kentucky coach Jeff Brohm, whose Hilltoppers just won Conference USA; and third-year Southern Miss coach Todd Monken, whose Golden Eagles lost to WKU in the C-USA title game.

Sources have told The Advocate that former Arkansas and Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt has pushed for the Tulane job, as has Akron coach Terry Bowden. That interest has not been mutual."

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/sp ... -for-new-f
I think those are all good names and would be content with any of those.
I am beginning to think this process will go into next week and may include a coach on the west coast...and no Toledo is not getting interviewed
Is that your gut feeling or based on inside info. I sure hope not, I hoped Dannen would act with a sense of urgency.
Robert1969
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote:Guerry Smith reporting it to be a BIG XII OC.
Lincoln Riley, please!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Robert1969 wrote: Lincoln Riley, please!
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... yles-award

Sooners offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley wins Broyles Award
3h - COLLEGE FOOTBALL OKLAHOMA SOONERS
Associated Press
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley won the Broyles Award on Tuesday, becoming the youngest winner ever to take home the honor for the nation's top assistant coach.

The 32-year-old Riley joined the Sooners a year ago after leading East Carolina's offense for five seasons.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Robert1969
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Robert1969 wrote: Lincoln Riley, please!
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... yles-award

Sooners offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley wins Broyles Award
3h - COLLEGE FOOTBALL OKLAHOMA SOONERS
Associated Press
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Oklahoma offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley won the Broyles Award on Tuesday, becoming the youngest winner ever to take home the honor for the nation's top assistant coach.

The 32-year-old Riley joined the Sooners a year ago after leading East Carolina's offense for five seasons.
Just to be clear, here: my preference is Brohm. But if we are going for a Big XII coordinator, then I am rooting for Riley.