"This Forum WANTS Cowen and Dickson to Fail"

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
timlan2057
Ripple

That's what someone posted on another forum, as an explanation of why he doesn't post here.

I guess I'm included in his generalization because I post here. (I post on other forums and try to follow the rules of whatever forum I'm on. I wish there were more Tulane forums--the more, the merrier.)

But I thought about that: Do I WANT Cowen and Dickson to fail?

I have to disagree.

Cowen and Dickson have ALREADY failed, and failed big time. I hope it's not too late for them (highly unlikely) or someone else (more likely) to come in and clean up the mess before Tulane athletics, and then the University as a whole, is endangered to the point of total irrelevance.

That's what this board is about. We recognize that. It's a bit discouraging, but yes, social media is powerful, and I feel an avalanche--or a huge green Tidal Wave--coming on.

I came to Tulane fandom enthusiastically. I became a Greenie because my daughter is a Greenie. I'll be getting my undergraduate degree from LSUA and my Masters from LSU--no matter. Blood is thicker than water.

LSU has enough donors. With my modest income as a retired car salesman and a full-time college student, I was ready to give 1000 dollars sacrificially (for me) to a new on-campus stadium.

When I read statements like Dickson's on how "we're better than TCU" and pooh-poohing their athletic accomplishments that lead to greater academic standing and achievements--and I read posts on certain forums from Dickson's and Cowen's defenders--I admit, it becomes very easy to want to say: "Fuck it all. You "fans," and Dickson and Cowen, just enjoy your sinking ship. Keep bitching about LSU and others forging ahead, while you sink into irrelevance."

But I cannot and will not do that.

But to save the thing you love, whether a long time love or like me, a three year love--one must realize where the battleground lies and fight accordingly.

I'd like to see an attitude change in Gibson Hall and Wilson Center.

I plan to fight respectfully, with letters to the Times Picayune and other appropriate places.

But I plan to be vocal and visible.

I am firmly convinced that attitudes in the aforementioned places will probably not change.

And if that is the case, the only battle a true Tulane fan--of athletics and the university can fight--is for the removal of Rick Dickson as Athletic Director and Scott Cowen as President.

I plan to fight respectfully--but passionately and hard--for those goals.

LSUA Student, LSU Fan, , and Proud Tulane Band Parent
TURVS71
Swell

Thanks for posting here!. I would simply say that EVERYONE on "this" forum wants Tulane to be successful. We just don't want to be told what our "opinion" is.
No more to be said!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
IM42lane
Swell

We wish that Cowen and Dickson were successful, but with their given track record, what else are you supposed to believe about them except realize that they are failures at what they do. Athletics has suffered over time with no progress at all. Tulane Engineering and Newcomb College have been diminished over what they were before they got here. The two just keep on backing up what they do with their ol' buzz phrase "in keeping with the Tulane Model" BS.

We on this board see no good reason to put up with these two any longer.

New admin blood (someone with a Tulane educational background) is needed immediately.

timlan2057 wrote:That's what someone posted on another forum, as an explanation of why he doesn't post here.

I guess I'm included in his generalization because I post here. (I post on other forums and try to follow the rules of whatever forum I'm on. I wish there were more Tulane forums--the more, the merrier.)

I have to disagree.

Cowen and Dickson have ALREADY failed, and failed big time. I hope it's not too late for them (highly unlikely) or someone else (more likely) to come in and clean up the mess before Tulane athletics, and then the University as a whole, is endangered to the point of total irrelevance.

That's what this board is about. We recognize that. It's a bit discouraging, but yes, social media is powerful, and I feel an avalanche--or a huge green Tidal Wave--coming on.

I came to Tulane fandom enthusiastically. I became a Greenie because my daughter is a Greenie. I'll be getting my undergraduate degree from LSUA and my Masters from LSU--no matter. Blood is thicker than water.

LSU has enough donors. With my modest income as a retired car salesman and a full-time college student, I was ready to give 1000 dollars sacrificially (for me) to a new on-campus stadium.

When I read statements like Dickson's on how "we're better than TCU" and pooh-poohing their athletic accomplishments that lead to greater academic standing and achievements--and I read posts on certain forums from Dickson's and Cowen's defenders--I admit, it becomes very easy to want to say: "f**k it all. You "fans," and Dickson and Cowen, just enjoy your sinking ship. Keep bitching about LSU and others forging ahead, while you sink into irrelevance."

But to save the thing you love, whether a long time love or like me, a three year love--one must realize where the battleground lies and fight accordingly.

I plan to fight respectfully, with letters to the Times Picayune and other appropriate places.

I am firmly convinced that attitudes in the aforementioned places will probably not change.

And if that is the case, the only battle a true Tulane fan--of athletics and the university can fight--is for the removal of Rick Dickson as Athletic Director and Scott Cowen as President.

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

timlan2057 wrote:That's what someone posted on another forum, as an explanation of why he doesn't post here.

I have to disagree.

When I read statements like Dickson's on how "we're better than TCU" and pooh-poohing their athletic accomplishments that lead to greater academic standing and achievements--and I read posts on certain forums from Dickson's and Cowen's defenders--I admit, it becomes very easy to want to say: "f**k it all. You "fans," and Dickson and Cowen, just enjoy your sinking ship. Keep bitching about LSU and others forging ahead, while you sink into irrelevance."

Bravo! Great stuff.

Where did someone say that we "want" Cowen/Dickson to fail? (Should I just assume its YOGWF?) How ridiculous and insulting is that?

Yes, they have failed. Their Tulane Model has failed and, according to the rankings, their vision for the academic side of Tulane has failed also. The decline of both academics and athletics has been steady for the duration of Cowen's tenure and all facets of Tulane are at their lowest rankings ever. The University is no longer a top 50 school according to US News and the major athletic programs have all been in last place over the past year.

It's time that those people trying to distort reality (and I'm talking primarily about the admins at YOGWF) take responsibility for their actions. They need to be called out for what they are and what they've done to stop the discussion. It's literally a perfect analogy to compare them to the Egyptian government silencing the press and trying to shut down the Internet.

But you can't do that and so up pops Gotula.net and New Wave Blog and the voices are heard. They may not like what I'm trying to say, but that doesn't give them the right to decide that I can't post it as long as I stay within a forum's guidelines. Deleting posts and banning users doesn't mean those points of view don't exist, it just means they don't want to hear them. It's high time that those people at least starting entertaining an unbiased reality and including their opinions for the discussion that needs to be had amongst Tulane stakeholders.

It is time to openly question the leadership. They've made it very clear they don't intend to change course.
JTLiuzza
Swell

Great thread.

jonathanjoseph your assessment of the worst fans in college sports is spot on. As more people catch on, and more avenues open up to express ideas and opinion and organize efforts for positive change, they will become more and more irrelevant. Better late than never.

Timlan congrats on the upcoming degrees.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

This forum WANTS Tulane to succeed.
WE want the individuals in place who can help achieve this goal.

I'm glad they are lurking and reading our forum. Hell, I wish they'd join us.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Jonathan
Riptide

Scott and Rick will be gone in 2 years Scott will retire to his little house in New England and Rick is milking his salary until Scott goes Scott has appointed the TU board and it is stacked Unlike SMU TCU and Rice Scott and Rick cannot raise the big bucks Over the last 40 years in the US News and World Report poll TU has dropped from 30th in nation to second tier 51 The basketball football and baseball program are disasters Only good programs are ladies golf and Tennis Thank you Scott and Rick
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

It is time for Cowen and the whole azz board to go...when was the last time anyone with ties to Tulane either Academically or Athletically held a position of importance ?..Tulane braqgs of it's educational value.but always seems to hire some azz from teh northeast or the midwest to come run things...Tulane is a Southern School, with southern roots and needs an administration with a southern background to be in charge..the majority of the people in metro New Orlenas, where we are attempting to build and salvage a fan base, have zero in common with Cowen or Dickson..neither speak the language so to speak and are considered outsiders...time to allow them to have a moving sale and pack their bags !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
IM42lane
Swell

THANK YOU ! ! ! !

golfnut69 wrote:It is time for Cowen and the whole azz board to go...when was the last time anyone with ties to Tulane either Academically or Athletically held a position of importance ?..Tulane braqgs of it's educational value.but always seems to hire some azz from teh northeast or the midwest to come run things...Tulane is a Southern School, with southern roots and needs an administration with a southern background to be in charge..the majority of the people in metro New Orlenas, where we are attempting to build and salvage a fan base, have zero in common with Cowen or Dickson..neither speak the language so to speak and are considered outsiders...time to allow them to have a moving sale and pack their bags !!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere