Potential AD candidates search

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:This search is a nightmare. The buffoons on the board have no business doing interviews. They have no clue about running an athletic department. We will end up with Burke or Sidwell with this so-called national search.
Only at Tulane.
ExileWave is right. There is nothing we can do about our out of control board--there are no fiduciary responsibilities that can be applied here. Our only option is to quit giving them money, and walk away until it changes.
Maybe, maybe not.

I just wish there was a law firm full of Tulane grads that would try.
I wish there was also, but I don't see it happening. The best blueprint of a revolt at a private university may be at Baylor. I can't say I know the details, but they had a revolt (from alums and fans) about five or six years ago, and look where they are now.
I don't think it has to result in a conviction. I think a legal inquiry might be enough to shake things up and bring attention to the track record. Do they really want to put their personal wealth on the line to back Rick Dickson?

ExileWave
Surge

I wish there was also, but I don't see it happening. The best blueprint of a revolt at a private university may be at Baylor. I can't say I know the details, but they had a revolt (from alums and fans) about five or six years ago, and look where they are now.[/quote]

I don't think it has to result in a conviction. I think a legal inquiry might be enough to shake things up and bring attention to the track record. Do they really want to put their personal wealth on the line to back Rick Dickson?[/quote]

I doubt that anyone's personal wealth is on the line for Tulane. Boards can get what is called Director & Officer liability insurance to protect them. I would be surprised if Tulane is not providing this coverage for the BOA. And these are the types of people who sit on more than one board.
alumniwave
Low Tide

austxwave wrote:Alumniwave is nothing but an inside troll.

If he/she were truly what he/she said he/she was when first posting (a spouse of an alum) then he/she would have moved on from the conversation and certainly would have posted on this forum much earlier than he/she did.

He/she clearly has an agenda to have Ms. Burke become the next Director of Athletics.

If she, Ms. Burke, were such a slam dunk for this position then she would have hired immediately when RD announced his retirement. There would be no need to hire a national recruiting firm nor put together a committee to review/interview candidates.

I'm not stating that Ms. Burke is not a quality administrator, but she is not what Tulane Athletics needs at this point in time.

Please stop trolling this board Alumniwave with your propaganda.

OK listen up. I've made clear my connection in my prior post. Wife is alumni. I'm an assistant AD in a P5 school.
I only know Burke professionally and through committee's i've served on. There is no way for you posters to know whose a great AD and who is not. You have to actually work in the business to know the inside scope on people. Burke has a strong reputation in the AD world and is probably the best female AD I know. Just wanted to give you guys the heads up.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

alumniwave wrote:

If he/she were truly what he/she said he/she was when first posting (a spouse of an alum) then he/she would have moved on from the conversation and certainly would have posted on this forum much earlier than he/she did.

He/she clearly has an agenda to have Ms. Burke become the next Director of Athletics.

If she, Ms. Burke, were such a slam dunk for this position then she would have hired immediately when RD announced his retirement. There would be no need to hire a national recruiting firm nor put together a committee to review/interview candidates.

I'm not stating that Ms. Burke is not a quality administrator, but she is not what Tulane Athletics needs at this point in time.

OK listen up. I've made clear my connection in my prior post. Wife is alumni. I'm an assistant AD in a P5 school.
I only know Burke professionally and through committee's i've served on. There is no way for you posters to know whose a great AD and who is not. You have to actually work in the business to know the inside scope on people. Burke has a strong reputation in the AD world and is probably the best female AD I know. Just wanted to give you guys the heads up.
I appreciate that. I don't work in that business and know nothing about Ms Burke, just as you are not "an insider" when it comes to Tulane University and its politics. I've been following this university closely for 20 years and it's the same thing every time. You may be right that Ms Burke is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if she's hired you can be sure it's because they think she can be easily controlled and tell them what they want to hear.

Maybe Ms Burke is so awesome that she's just "playing along" during the interview process, and after she gets the job she's going to turn in to the female Tom Jurich with a plan and intent to make Tulane Athletics a powerhouse. But she won't have the support of the Board, her superiors or be given the resources or latitude to make it happen.

She may be as great as you say, but that doesn't mean she would be any less set up for failure.
RobertM320
Green Wave

alumniwave wrote:

Well damn, you're an Assistant AD at a P5 school? You should have said something. Why don't you just put your own name in the hat? Think of it, you could work at your spouse's alma mater and could move to NOLA.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wavetrader
Low Tide

What has Burke done over the last 2 years during this dumpster fire of an athletics program? If she was as great as you're stating, she would've had at least some impact or visibility. If we choose Burke or Sidwell, we might as well drop athletics.

Like some of the others on these boards, I didn't even watch the game last night on TV. I received a couple of updates on my phone and then turned it off when the route was on. 35-7 at half to a 1-9 team, why should we waste any of our time? Obviously the Tulane Whales don't care about success; instead they view this as some sort of employment program for their washed up cronies.

PS, I don't believe you are an Assistant AD either....more plausible that Rick or Scott are trolling this board.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
JerseyWave
Riptide

alumniwave wrote:

If you know Burke professionally, I'm curious to know what is Rick Dickson's reputation in the College Athletics Community? At Tulane, we've witnessed 15 years of failure under his watch with zero accountability. Unfortunately, members of our Board of Trustees speak glowingly of him.

As for Burke, if she gets the job and expects to separate herself from the stench of Cowen/Dickson, then she has to move quickly to address the Football train wreck and losing Volleyball program. In March, she very well may have to find new leadership for Men's Basketball too. There is so much work that must be done.

By the way, you may have heard of Tulane's former AD, Sandy Barbour, who Scott Cowen fired back in 1999 for no good reason. Tulane's Athletic teams across the board were quite competitive back then.
RobertM320
Green Wave

And I'd say with no hesitation that Sandy Barbour is a better AD than Barbara Burke could ever hope to be.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote:I will say this: I was on my way home from my nephew's wedding tonight, so I didn't get to hear the game. Once I heard the score I turned to 100.3 ESPN radio and they were carrying the TCU-Oklahoma game. After a few minutes of listening to it, I began to realize what enjoying college football should be like. And for the first time in my life, I could actually see myself finding another team to support and completely walking away from Tulane.

Having been born and raised in NOLA, as a Tulane fan, as well as getting my degree there, I felt a tremendous amount of sadness when I realized, I just dont care anymore.
That pretty well sums up my attitude as well. Having grown up in Oklahoma, I've been a life long OU fan, and made them my "adopted" team. I'm starting to travel with OU, after going to the Tennessee game earlier this year. Following a program like this is like living in a different world, from what we experience with Tulane. It's such a change to go to games and see the excitement, energy, enthusiasm, and relevance to modern day intercollegiate athletics. The alums and fans are into the team and school, and it is reflected in strong financial support. I haven't walked away from Tulane yet, but I'm definitely not hanging around as much, and as you said, it's sad that increasingly, I just don't care.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
alumniwave
Low Tide

RobertM320 wrote:
alumniwave wrote:

Well damn, you're an Assistant AD at a P5 school? You should have said something. Why don't you just put your own name in the hat? Think of it, you could work at your spouse's alma mater and could move to NOLA.
Thought about it but the timing isn't right for me and family. I do think Tulane is a sleeping giant and that's why I recommend Burke. Clearly she thinks the same way and that's why she's there. She is as good as the AD's at the same type of schools: TCU, Baylor, Clemson, Vandy, etc. I heard many of the same complaints about these schools before they hired the right people and they emerged. This can happen at Tulane.

And believe it or not I have zero connection to the prior AD's or board at Tulane.
All the best to Tulane.
alumniwave
Low Tide

Check this video out from EIU when Burke hired Babers. This is how coaches react after working with her. Also, her transparent ideas include naming all applicants by name to the public through the entire process. No hidden agenda's. Things will change at Tulane.

http://youtu.be/e7FLDVVnhVI
RobertM320
Green Wave

alumniwave wrote:Check this video out from EIU when Burke hired Babers. This is how coaches react after working with her. Also, her transparent ideas include naming all applicants by name to the public through the entire process. No hidden agenda's. Things will change at Tulane.

I have to say, if nothing else, she has a better public presence than Trickey Ricky.
posse
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:
alumniwave wrote:Check this video out from EIU when Burke hired Babers. This is how coaches react after working with her. Also, her transparent ideas include naming all applicants by name to the public through the entire process. No hidden agenda's. Things will change at Tulane.

I have to say, if nothing else, she has a better public presence than Trickey Ricky.
She was somewhat impressive....She apparently picked a good head coach from Baylor staff, who was successful, and then moved on to a bigger job. She apparently picked the replacement coach who is also successful.

"'Today it was announced Eastern Illinois made the FCS playoff. Not only did Burke hire Babers but she hired his replacement who now has EIU back in the playoffs in his 2nd season."

If it came down to Burke or Sidwell, she would definitely be my choice.. At least she has a history of selecting two successful headcoaches...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:And I'd say with no hesitation that Sandy Barbour is a better AD than Barbara Burke could ever hope to be.
And I wonder if Alumniwave has any clue that Sandy Barbour, Dr. Kevin White, and Chet Gladchuck were the AD's that preceded tricky Rick Dickson? We deserve better. We deserve someone of that ilk, with Barbara Burke continuing in her role as Director of Operations. I do, however, suspect that she was hired as the "AD in Waiting." And that the whole national search garbage is pure BS.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm even willing to give her the benefit of the doubt as far as her abilities. That said, she's not THE BEST available person, so if we end up with her, the fix was in.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Since we need both a head football coach and AD quickly here's how things should be done:
When conducting AD interviews each candidate needs to give their vision and choices as to who they'd want to interview for head football coach. At that point you'd build a pool of candidates for head football coach from potential AD interviews. You then have either Burke and/or Fitts interview the final coaches group based on who the final three AD candidates recommended for interviews (not RD). This needs to take place while getting down to the the final two for AD. You then have Fitts interview the remaining two and then select his AD choice. He then sits with his new AD and gives him or her the final three in the coaches pool. If the AD wants someone else then that coach is brought in for an interview as well. If Tulane is smart this AD's preferred coach would have already been interviewed. The AD interviews the final few candidates and makes the recommendation to Fitts. Fitts approves. Both the new AD and head coach are announced on the same day (CJ's dismissal is announced the night before). You now have your new AD and he or she has picked their head football coach. Time is of the essence. This isn't rocket science folks.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
LSU-MD
Low Tide

Since we need both a head football coach and AD quickly here's how things should be done:
When conducting AD interviews each candidate needs to give their vision and choices as to who they'd want to interview for head football coach. At that point you'd build a pool of candidates for head football coach from potential AD interviews. You then have either Burke and/or Fitts interview the final coaches group based on who the final three AD candidates recommended for interviews (not RD). This needs to take place while getting down to the the final two for AD. You then have Fitts interview the remaining two and then select his AD choice. He then sits with his new AD and gives him or her the final three in the coaches pool. If the AD wants someone else then that coach is brought in for an interview as well. If Tulane is smart this AD's preferred coach would have already been interviewed. The AD interviews the final few candidates and makes the recommendation to Fitts. Fitts approves. Both the new AD and head coach are announced on the same day (CJ's dismissal is announced the night before). You now have your new AD and he or she has picked their head football coach. Time is of the essence. This isn't rocket science folks.
Or just do like Texas did. Steve Patterson was hired as the AD in nov 2013 and lead the coaching search for Mack Brown's replacement. Dobbs just stayed on to run the day to day and fundraising operations. Patterson had complete control of hiring and firing. It is not a hard concept to understand, just take your head out of the Tulane bubble and google.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -texas-job
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/co ... ement.html
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UPDATE 11:29 A.M. 11-19-15] Sources tell College AD that University of San Francisco Athletic Director Scott Sidwell interviewed this morning at 9am. We were also told that Tulane Deputy Athletic Director, Barbara Burke will be one of the two interviews tomorrow. College AD will keep you updated as we hear more.

[UPDATE 4:32 P.M.] Sources tell College AD that three of the five mentioned candidates will interview Thursday and the remaining two candidates will interview Friday.

Following this afternoon’s release from the New Orleans Advocate on the Tulane AD search, College AD independently confirmed through its sources that Louisiana-Monroe AD Brian Wickstrom and Baylor Deputy AD Todd Patulski are indeed interviewing for the Tulane Athletic Director position. Sources also independently told us that interviews will be in Atlanta, Thursday and Friday confirming our information yesterday on interviews beginning as early as this week. Conveniently, initial interviews in Atlanta creates an easy commute for Jeff Schemmel of College Sports Solutions who’s leading the search, as the CSS offices are off Highland Avenue.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Based on that, we have a positive confirmation of 4 names: Burke, Sidwell, Wickstrom, Patulski. I'm guessing the fifth is Benedict of Auburn? So what happened to Hertz saying these WEREN'T the only candidates they were interviewing?

LIES! LIES! LIES! --ALL THE TIME LIES! WTF?

Only at Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Show Me wrote:This search is a nightmare. The buffoons on the board have no business doing interviews. They have no clue about running an athletic department. We will end up with Burke or Sidwell with this so-called national search.
Only at Tulane.
ExileWave is right. There is nothing we can do about our out of control board--there are no fiduciary responsibilities that can be applied here. Our only option is to quit giving them money, and walk away until it changes.
Maybe, maybe not.

I just wish there was a law firm full of Tulane grads that would try.
I wish there was also, but I don't see it happening. The best blueprint of a revolt at a private university may be at Baylor. I can't say I know the details, but they had a revolt (from alums and fans) about five or six years ago, and look where they are now.
The biggest revolt at Baylor... was the approval by the Administration to allow Dancing on Campus
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ExileWave wrote:I wish there was also, but I don't see it happening. The best blueprint of a revolt at a private university may be at Baylor. I can't say I know the details, but they had a revolt (from alums and fans) about five or six years ago, and look where they are now.
I don't think it has to result in a conviction. I think a legal inquiry might be enough to shake things up and bring attention to the track record. Do they really want to put their personal wealth on the line to back Rick Dickson?[/quote]

I doubt that anyone's personal wealth is on the line for Tulane. Boards can get what is called Director & Officer liability insurance to protect them. I would be surprised if Tulane is not providing this coverage for the BOA. And these are the types of people who sit on more than one board.[/quote]

I have had D&O insurance myself. I know all about it.
chain gang x man
Swell

Sidwell out of running
Burke was at WBB game last night lobbying
greenie2005
Ripple

@FletcherMackel: BREAKING: Scott Sidwell has removed himself as Tulane AD candidate. Focused on continuing great work for USF Dons.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

chain gang x man wrote:Sidwell out of running
Burke was at WBB game last night lobbying
Can you expound on the lobbying comment? Thanks.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
breaker
Ripple

Rather than sitting alone in the top row as she normally does at games (not very AD-like), she was chatting up Dr. Stewart, who is on the selection committee. IMO Dr. Stewart should have distanced himself from her while the process is ongoing.