Fitts on Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
JTLiuzza
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
JTLiuzza wrote:
winwave wrote:As per the other site:

Fitts is not making a decision any time soon. He said on Friday at the Town Hall Forum that he was taking a wait and see approach about football.

He has bought their excuse that Tulane needs more time because the AAC is a much tougher conference and the excuse that we unfairly played so many ranked teams this season.

He will also buy the excuse to blame it on the rain.

Frightening.
Are his remarks available anywhere?
here ya go
Michael Fitts ‏@TUFitts Nov 6
This year our team has played six top 25 football teams...we have had some really tough competition so far this year

We've moved up conferences and the quality of the competition is now much higher
Thanks.

Sounds just like last year... "steady as she goes." We're in a reconstituted CUSA it's just that some of the same ol' teams have decided to get a lot better while Tulane continues along. All is well.

Basically he's saying "don't blame us for losing. It's our competition's fault for getting better." It's not like all of a sudden they threw us back in the SEC.

I'm with winwave: frightening. It's loserspeak.

The second commandment has not been abrogated.
ExileWave
Surge

Same old song and dance....Katrina....be patient....our problem was the Dome.....Yulman will bring better recruiting and eventually wins....Oh My God- the AAC is tougher than we expected....who knew Duke and Ga Tech would be good?? (they are not)......the rain cost us a win....RD has been a life saver- facilities, he is a "great man".

Personally I would rather have a-holes coaching and running the athletics program. Bowden was NOT a nice guy. Neither were Larry Smith or Jim Pittman. ONLY WINS MATTER!

The Dark Side runs deep in the Tulane Model.
GreenGears
Low Tide

How about improving the quality of our coaching? Cheese and Crackers Charlie Brown!!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

This is 1000% consistent with a culture that is devoid of accountability.

There are no excuses for Fitts' comments. Scott Cowen's culture of failure and excuses is alive and well and Fitts has fallen in line.

Any sober and objective assessment of the situation after the disastrous homecoming performance would dictate that something along the lines of "that's not good enough" is an appropriate comment.
msdos
Swell

We've moved up conferences and the quality of the competition is now much higher
Well, then the quality of our coach needs to be much higher

Maybe CJ was the right guy for the job. Hell, we got to a bowl in C-USA. But, it looks like everyone in the AAC is trying to get to the next level while we are trying to stay the same.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

In his previous comments of note, President Fitts called Cowen an "expert in NCAA Athletics at the highest levels." That's paraphrasing and not an exact quote, but it's been clear he's drinking the Kool-Aide.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

ExileWave wrote: Personally I would rather have a-holes coaching and running the athletics program. Bowden was NOT a nice guy. Neither were Larry Smith or Jim Pittman. ONLY WINS MATTER!

Gee, don't forget Clark Shaughnessy! A HOF coach, just not at Tulane.
Jonathan
Riptide

In my opinion Fitts is another Scott Cowen.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote:
ExileWave wrote: Personally I would rather have a-holes coaching and running the athletics program. Bowden was NOT a nice guy. Neither were Larry Smith or Jim Pittman. ONLY WINS MATTER!

Gee, don't forget Clark Shaughnessy! A HOF coach, just not at Tulane.
Don't forget Frnka either. Now we're talking about the greatest coaches ever at Tulane. Throw in Wells in basketball who had top 10 teams which is something another of our great basketball coaches couldn't do.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

It's looking more and more like CJ will be back even if he finishes season 2-10. I'm hearing Tulane will not pay buyout. RD decisions will continue to damage Tulane long after he's gone. Many many former Tulane football players have voiced their concerns which have fallen on deaf ears.

If CJ does return I will be shocked to see more than 2k season ticket holders. The management of the Football program is truly inexcusable and disgusting.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mandeville Wave wrote:It's looking more and more like CJ will be back even if he finishes season 2-10. I'm hearing Tulane will not pay buyout. RD decisions will continue to damage Tulane long after he's gone. Many many former Tulane football players have voiced their concerns which have fallen on deaf ears.

If CJ does return I will be shocked to see more than 2k season ticket holders. The management of the Football program is truly inexcusable and disgusting.
I have already to the TAF rep that if CJ returns to delete my phone number, e mail and mailing address's to both my parents home in Metairie and mine in Texas
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
IM42lane
Swell

Mandeville Wave wrote: It's looking more and more like CJ will be back even if he finishes season 2-10 . I'm hearing Tulane will not pay buyout. RD decisions will continue to damage Tulane long after he's gone. Many former Tulane football players have voiced their concerns which have fallen on deaf ears.

At this point, I would be in favor of Lionel Washington being the HC for the last three games. Then, evaluate his performance at the end of the season, and make him a ONE YEAR offer if he can win a couple of games. Otherwise, CLEAN HOUSE, period.

The OC MUST be replaced immediately. The Special Teams coach MUST be replaced immediately. Others need to be shown the door out of here also!

DICKSON MUST LEAVE Tulane NOW! 'Begone you Satanic beast!' Replace Dickson with a Tulane alum (hopefully a former TU athlete).

When in Hades does BASEBALL start?
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote:
Mandeville Wave wrote: It's looking more and more like CJ will be back even if he finishes season 2-10 . I'm hearing Tulane will not pay buyout. RD decisions will continue to damage Tulane long after he's gone. Many former Tulane football players have voiced their concerns which have fallen on deaf ears.

At this point, I would be in favor of Lionel Washington being the HC for the last three games. Then, evaluate his performance at the end of the season, and make him a ONE YEAR offer if he can win a couple of games. Otherwise, CLEAN HOUSE, period.

The OC MUST be replaced immediately. The Special Teams coach MUST be replaced immediately. Others need to be shown the door out of here also!

DICKSON MUST LEAVE Tulane NOW! 'Begone you Satanic beast!' Replace Dickson with a Tulane alum (hopefully a former TU athlete).

Ya mean you have given up on BASKETBALL already ?!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
IM42lane
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

That's a GREAT BIG AFFIRM ! ! ! ! When the Big East basketball universities seceded from what is now 'The American', my interest in the sport went down to absolutely nothing. If the Big East and the A.A.C. were one and the same, that combined league would be a major player in national athletics right now! If Temple and Navy/Houston were going to be playing for the BIG EAST football championship next month, that winner would be a definite invite to a major bowl (Sugar Bowl, for example), instead of only being a possible maybe as we now speak.

I hope that Big East basketball falls flat on its face, period, because of its misguided arrogance. Basketball people must realize that their sport will NEVER be of the same stature that football will always have.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
ajcalhoun
Swell

If the Big East and the A.A.C. were one and the same, that combined league would be a major player in national athletics right now! If Temple and Navy/Houston were going to be playing for the BIG EAST football championship next month, that winner would be a definite invite to a major bowl (Sugar Bowl, for example), instead of only being a possible maybe as we now speak.
Why would the inclusion of a bunch of non-football schools have made our Conference Champion "a definite invite to a major bowl?" That makes no sense.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

That's a GREAT BIG AFFIRM ! ! ! ! When the Big East basketball universities seceded from what is now 'The American', my interest in the sport went down to absolutely nothing. If the Big East and the A.A.C. were one and the same, that combined league would be a major player in national athletics right now! If Temple and Navy/Houston were going to be playing for the BIG EAST football championship next month, that winner would be a definite invite to a major bowl (Sugar Bowl, for example), instead of only being a possible maybe as we now speak.

I hope that Big East basketball falls flat on its face, period, because of its misguided arrogance. Basketball people must realize that their sport will NEVER be of the same stature that football will always have.
I thought for sure when the "POPE" visited this summer the "BIg East" was going to change it's name to the "10 Commandments Conference"
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
If the Big East and the A.A.C. were one and the same, that combined league would be a major player in national athletics right now! If Temple and Navy/Houston were going to be playing for the BIG EAST football championship next month, that winner would be a definite invite to a major bowl (Sugar Bowl, for example), instead of only being a possible maybe as we now speak.
Why would the inclusion of a bunch of non-football schools have made our Conference Champion "a definite invite to a major bowl?" That makes no sense.
There is a simple answer..."The Big East" in it's previous form / membership, was guaranteed a spot in the "P" conferences
IM42lane
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
There is a simple answer ... "The Big East" in it's previous form / membership, was guaranteed a spot in the "P" conferences
EXACTLY --- also, the "old Big East" sports press would have insisted on that ......

Again, for my previous arguments, I hope that the Big East hoops league flames out big time.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:There is a simple answer..."The Big East" in it's previous form / membership, was guaranteed a spot in the "P" conferences
Nope. They were getting left out under the new playoff format. They were on shaky ground after Miami and Va. tech left. Once Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, and Louisville bailed the Big East's status as a Power Conference was gone.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:There is a simple answer..."The Big East" in it's previous form / membership, was guaranteed a spot in the "P" conferences
Nope. They were getting left out under the new playoff format. They were on shaky ground after Miami and Va. tech left. Once Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, and Louisville bailed the Big East's status as a Power Conference was gone.
The only reason why those schools bailed was because the non football schools were raising hell, they saw their power diminishing... so rather than be a power in both Basketball and Football they chose to be in a corner by themselves...whoever is teaching business classes at those schools should be given a blindfold and cigarette
Wave755
Tsunami

Teevens got 5 years, Scelfo got 7 years & Toledo got 5 years. It is starting to look like as for Teevens & Toledo, CJ will as well get a 5th year. I know of no TAF member who will renew for next year if CJ is given a year 5. If CJ is given a 5th year it will be time for all of us to spit out the Green Kool-Aid by voting with our feet for sitting out the 2016 football season.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote:Teevens got 5 years, Scelfo got 7 years & Toledo got 5 years. It is starting to look like as for Teevens & Toledo, CJ will as well get a 5th year. I know of no TAF member who will renew for next year if CJ is given a year 5. If CJ is given a 5th year it will be time for all of us to spit out the Green Kool-Aid by voting with our feet for sitting out the 2016 football season.
we need to take a cue for the Mizzou football team
IM42lane
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Teevens got 5 years, Scelfo got 7 years & Toledo got 5 years. It is starting to look like as for Teevens & Toledo, CJ will as well get a 5th year. I know of no TAF member who will renew for next year if CJ is given a year 5. If CJ is given a 5th year it will be time for all of us to spit out the Green Kool-Aid by voting with our feet for sitting out the 2016 football season.
Tulane people 'voting with their feet' (by NOT showing up because they are fed up with what goes on) has been going on for years/decades. Many of us out here started in 2003 when Cowen tried to end football as we know it (move to D-3).
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Wave755
Tsunami

IM42lane wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Tulane people 'voting with their feet' (by NOT showing up because they are fed up with what goes on) has been going on for years/decades. Many of us out here started in 2003 when Cowen tried to end football as we know it (move to D-3).
If for the 2014 season we had 1,500 TAF Westfeldt Terrace members @ $2,000 each and almost none for the 2016 season Tulane will have lost over 3.5 million a year compared against the 2014 season. They might not care about us but they do care about money.
posse
High Tide

Received the following response from President Fitts to my email, offering suggestions as to what needs to be done to make Tulane a top 25 program....He responded 24 hrs after sending him my email.

Dear Posse: I attend all the home games, and I share your frustration with the team’s record. The coaching staff and team members also are not satisfied. All of us want to see wins. In our search for a new Athletic Director, we’re working hard to find a great new leader for the athletics program. I appreciate you for sharing your ideas on strategies to enhance the program. We ask that you continue supporting the team through the remainder of the season as we look forward to brighter times ahead. Thank you for your ongoing interest, concern and support for Tulane.

My suggestions were:

Hire a dynamic Athletic Director whose expertise is hiring successful coaches….Fund raising will take care of itself when consistent winning is achieved.

Increase salaries to attract, hire and keep a successful Coach, and qualified coordinators and assistants.

Establish a Physical Education Major to attract and keep good athletes….We had this major in the 70’s and we competed very well.

Use the NCAA academic standards to admit and retain good athletes.. The higher, self imposed Tulane academic standard has been a disaster.

Recruit Junior College players, and accept their college credits.

Feel free to share my suggestions with your staff.