The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:And here's a perspective from someone who didn't play the game at the collegiate level:

I realize that schedules are made years in advance. Having said that, for a fragile and rebuilding program such as Tulane to start their season with games against Duke and GT is acknowledging a very predictable result. I'm all for playing Notre Dame and LSU, but could we please have an opener against SLU, or ULM? If OleMiss can start with Tennessee-Martin, Georgia against ULM, and Clemson against Wofford then there is no shame for Tulane opening with SLU.
Tell that to Temple. And look at FIU over UCF.
You get good playing better competition except if you're Tulane. :oops:

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Eaglewave
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
GreenLantern wrote:And here's a perspective from someone who didn't play the game at the collegiate level:

I realize that schedules are made years in advance. Having said that, for a fragile and rebuilding program such as Tulane to start their season with games against Duke and GT is acknowledging a very predictable result. I'm all for playing Notre Dame and LSU, but could we please have an opener against SLU, or ULM? If OleMiss can start with Tennessee-Martin, Georgia against ULM, and Clemson against Wofford then there is no shame for Tulane opening with SLU.
Tell that to Temple. And look at FIU over UCF.
You get good playing better competition except if you're Tulane. :oops:

Yup. Except if you're Tulane. We played Ole Piss, Rutgers, Duke and GT in the past 4 years and have only 1 bowl game loss to show for it. We have an OC and OL coach who have ruined Griffin, Montana, Powell and now Lee. We have losses to USA, UTSA and FAU and might not beat Army this season.

Looking forward to 2016 already.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:Until we get serious about a winning, I want to see more schedules like this. I hope we give Idaho, Old Dominion, Abeline Christian and Charlotte a call for games as well. I am sorry fellas, I hate going 2-10 and 3-9 knowing that coaching changes won't happen.. I would rather watch us in the Bud's Broiler Bowl over sitting at home with a 3-9 record and happy we played tougher schools in the process.
You'd be sitting there alone watching that BS. Just shut it down and end the misery before going that route.

I been sitting alone with a sea of empty seats around me for a very long time. Shutting down the program should never be an option.

Since we aren't serious another championship football, we might schedule smaller teams who will make us bowl eligible before week 10. With the way we play at times, no Southern or UMass game is a sure win
We'll have to agree to disagree.
Yeah scheduling down just to win and make some lower bowl game is not a winning strategy for anyone. But Eaglewave is on to something which is that Dickson's current strategy of not really trying to be successful isn't a workable strategy either.
Bingo amigo. Why should we keep taking these **s kickings when Dickson and CJ don't care about our **sses? If Dickson cared, he would have hired a HC with previous FBS winning experience. If CJ cared, he would have fired Price and McDonnell last year!
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

one question for the "young MEN" who put on the uniforms and cross the lines onto the field of play...(I am now done with the PC krap)..... WHERE THE F^@K is YOUR PRIDE ?!?!?!? ... I realize some of this can be put on the coach's..but you must be the biggest bunch of losers Tulane has recruited in a long time...and all by a "guru" of Talent evaluation and a Master of recruiting...so either CJ does not really know talent and is truly a krappy recruiter...or you,as a team or what you truly seem to be...a bunch of F^@KING LOSERS.. I suggest a good hard look in the mirror and see if you like who is looking back !
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:one question for the "young MEN" who put on the uniforms and cross the lines onto the field of play...(I am now done with the PC krap)..... WHERE THE F^@K is YOUR PRIDE ?!?!?!? ... I realize some of this can be put on the coach's..but you must be the biggest bunch of losers Tulane has recruited in a long time...and all by a "guru" of Talent evaluation and a Master of recruiting...so either CJ does not really know talent and is truly a krappy recruiter...or you,as a team or what you truly seem to be...a bunch of F^@KING LOSERS.. I suggest a good hard look in the mirror and see if you like who is looking back !
We all know the recruiting is not what we have been told, and believing.

There is no phase of the game that Dickson/Johnson can be thankful for. Their well paid rides must be ended. They are destroying athletics.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Eaglewave
Swell

The 2015 season is coming to an end faster than many of us expected. I am looking forward to opening day vs Southern.
Ball Sumrall!
sader24
Tsunami

It's hard to have pride and not quit when you know that every other team you play is more well prepared and well coached than you are. The lack of coaching puts these kids in a situation where they literally have no chance to beat 75% of the teams on the schedule. They are clearly demoralized and nothing short of an entire regime change will change that. Like I said before Buddy Teevens was not a good coach, but at least his team didn't quit and were fairly competitive towards the end. He looks like Bill Parcells compared to CJ.
Jonathan
Riptide

How many will make the mistake to renew their season tickets and make TAF donations for next year and contribute to CJ's million dollar annual salary given him by you know who! Rick Dickson! Rick let us add another ten years on CJ s contract. Enough is enough. CJ needs to go with Rick! Tulane is the worst team in the nation and should be number one in the bottom 25 poll this week.
oliveandblue
Surge

Winning games builds up the confidence of the program. Losing by 40-50 points against teams ends your season in week 2. I'm done with the season ending in week 2.

It will take 5-6 years of 7-8 "bad wins" before top level coaches and recruits will take a chance on this program. This program was poison under RD. There are people that would LOVE to turn around Tulane, but they're going to wait until he's gone before they inquire.

It will take 10-15 years before Tulane threatens to make a NY6 bowl.

The path to recovery is long and gradual. The first step is to do a Baylor, and play cupcakes. Start the season 4-0 (what a novel idea!). Get fans interested - even if the team isn't for real. Make 2-3 bowl games. The second step is to take on a challenge or two each year - but we are not to the point where this team can compete with top-half P5 teams.

This summer, we will be getting a new AD. I have a feeling that CJ is gone at that point since the new AD will want "his guy" running the football team. CJ is probably not going to win enough games to save his job.
RobertM320
Green Wave

But that would be a terrible time to be getting rid of a coach, after recruiting and right before the season. We have to get the new AD and coach in sooner than that, or its another wasted year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

oliveandblue wrote:Winning games builds up the confidence of the program. Losing by 40-50 points against teams ends your season in week 2. I'm done with the season ending in week 2.

It will take 5-6 years of 7-8 "bad wins" before top level coaches and recruits will take a chance on this program. This program was poison under RD. There are people that would LOVE to turn around Tulane, but they're going to wait until he's gone before they inquire.

The path to recovery is long and gradual. The first step is to do a Baylor, and play cupcakes. Start the season 4-0 (what a novel idea!). Get fans interested - even if the team isn't for real. Make 2-3 bowl games. The second step is to take on a challenge or two each year - but we are not to the point where this team can compete with top-half P5 teams.

This summer, we will be getting a new AD. I have a feeling that CJ is gone at that point since the new AD will want "his guy" running the football team. CJ is probably not going to win enough games to save his job.
TCU went from 1-10 to top 10 in 10 years.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:But that would be a terrible time to be getting rid of a coach, after recruiting and right before the season. We have to get the new AD and coach in sooner than that, or its another wasted year.
Exactly right. Tulane is a joke of an organization and the fact that alumni allow this to happen is outrageous.
JerseyWave
Riptide

oliveandblue wrote:Winning games builds up the confidence of the program. Losing by 40-50 points against teams ends your season in week 2. I'm done with the season ending in week 2.

1. We all agree Tulane can't hire a good coach until the "poison" is gone.
2. A good coach can turn a program around in three years.
3. We better have a new AD in place well before summer.
4. CJ won't win any more games and I think he knows it.
Highwave
Low Tide

IMHO, that schedule will afford us one of two things:

1) it could afford us the opportunity to hire a hot shot young HC from a peer G5 school or a desirable P5 coordinator who will see a tremendous opportunity to win quickly and get credited with a tremendous turnaround;
OR
2) it will assure us another 4 years of CJ as a reward for being the 1st coach in modern history (ever?) to lead TU to 2 bowl games.

Ordinarily, I would hate that schedule. However, either way you slice it, that schedule affords us a great opportunity to return to a bowl, and I am more than willing to live with it if TU uses it as an advantage in making its next hire.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Highwave wrote:IMHO, that schedule will afford us one of two things:

1) it could afford us the opportunity to hire a hot shot young HC from a peer G5 school or a desirable P5 coordinator who will see a tremendous opportunity to win quickly and get credited with a tremendous turnaround;
OR
2) it will assure us another 4 years of CJ as a reward for being the 1st coach in modern history (ever?) to lead TU to 2 bowl games.

Ordinarily, I would hate that schedule. However, either way you slice it, that schedule affords us a great opportunity to return to a bowl, and I am more than willing to live with it if TU uses it as an advantage in making its next hire.
I'm being completely serious. Hire Steve Spurrier. He's "been there done that" in the SEC, he'd love working with Tanner Lee who would throw for 5000 yards in Spurriers offense and the defense is good enough that we'd win 9 games next year.

Do it.
Wave QB
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:

OR

I'm being completely serious. Hire Steve Spurrier. He's "been there done that" in the SEC, he'd love working with Tanner Lee who would throw for 5000 yards in Spurriers offense and the defense is good enough that we'd win 9 games next year.

Do it.
lol.
RobertM320
Green Wave

jonathanjoseph wrote:

OR

Do it.
You'd have to present it to him as a challenge. "We don't think anyone can win at Tulane, not even you." He's the type that goes for that kind of thing.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: I'm being completely serious. Hire Steve Spurrier. He's "been there done that" in the SEC, he'd love working with Tanner Lee who would throw for 5000 yards in Spurriers offense and the defense is good enough that we'd win 9 games next year.

Do it.

Now I know you're just fucking with us. This is jonathan-level trollsomeness.
God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

RobertM320 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

OR

Do it.
You'd have to present it to him as a challenge. "We don't think anyone can win at Tulane, not even you." He's the type that goes for that kind of thing.
That's exactly why he'd do it. He's bored and wants a challenge.

Meanwhile, it's amazing how the low expectations have become so institutionalized.

If the AD hire is some ambitious hotshot? You can't get what you don't ask for.
Wave QB
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:

OR

Do it.
No chance!

We should bring in Terry Bowden.
greenphantom
Swell

A good coach could put Tulane into a bowl next year. Look how quickly Memphis and Temple turned things around. Houston was pretty average last year and even lost to us. Coaching change and they are Top 25.
Wave QB
Swell

greenphantom wrote:A good coach could put Tulane into a bowl next year. Look how quickly Memphis and Temple turned things around. Houston was pretty average last year and even lost to us. Coaching change and they are Top 25.
You are right about that. I really believe that we should have an experienced head coach who has had previous success at and SEC or Big 12 program if we let CJ go. We should consider giving a shot to a big name former coach who Experiment time is over. I would consider giving Ed Orgeron a call. I think he would take the job. I believe that Terry Bowden would leave Akron for New Orleans. Guys like Will Muschamp, Houston Nutt and even Phillip Fulmer might consider taking on this AAC task. I would consider Randy Shannon as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:
greenphantom wrote:A good coach could put Tulane into a bowl next year. Look how quickly Memphis and Temple turned things around. Houston was pretty average last year and even lost to us. Coaching change and they are Top 25.
You are right about that. I really believe that we should have an experienced head coach who has had previous success at and SEC or Big 12 program if we let CJ go. We should consider giving a shot to a big name former coach who Experiment time is over. I would consider giving Ed Orgeron a call. I think he would take the job. I believe that Terry Bowden would leave Akron for New Orleans. Guys like Will Muschamp, Houston Nutt and even Phillip Fulmer might consider taking on this AAC task. I would consider Randy Shannon as well.
Ed Orgeron like every other good coach wants to compete at the highest level with university support. According to our Board "Tulane has some inherent challenges that other schools don't" that prevent this from happening. So no way in hell is he going to come here after that statement was made aloud confirming what every potential coach has already heard and knew in the coaching community. Until Tulane decides to overcome these "inherent challenges"' we are going to continue to get coaches like Toledo and Johnson. Maybe once every 10 or so years we win 6 games and get into a low end bowl game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Would be nice if we had real journalists in this city. Some place like NY or LA, they'd have been all over that Goldring quote with a followup question, "What specifically ARE those inherent challenges you have?" That will never happen here.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote:The 2015 season is coming to an end faster than many of us expected. I am looking forward to opening day vs Southern.
It cannot come to a close fast enough....Gawd, bring on a sport that Tulane is nationally ranked in...Womens Golf !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !