the RD...PR machine

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

They can spin all the accolades they want. If that is the price we must pay for his removal, it is a small one. We all know that this is his legacy:

_____FOOTBALL___BASKETBALL
2000____6–5________9-21
2001____3–9________14-15
2002____8–5________16-15
2003____5–7________11-17
2004____5–6________10-18
2005____2–9________12-17
2006____4–8________17-13
2007____4–8________17-15
2008____2–10_______14-17
2009____3–9________8-22
2010____4–8________13-17
2011____2–11_______15-16
2012____2–10_______20-15
2013____7–6________17-17
2014____3–9________15-16
51WaveBG
High Tide

I am not at all hopeful that RD's replacement will be the result of a comprehensive, national search.
GreenLantern
Riptide

They can spin all the accolades they want. If that is the price we must pay for his removal, it is a small one.

We all know that this is his true legacy:
Red highlight indicates a losing season. Not much white there, huh?
Guess they missed this in the NOLA article.

PS> Sorry about the dbl-post. I fat-fingered it.
JTLiuzza
Swell

It's laughable. How long has Dickson been AD? And in all that time he "laid the groundwork for future success." I don't know where they buy their pants with b@lls that big. In one little phrase you can not only completely whitewash 16 years of failure by implying that the situation was so disastrous when he took over, he needed 16 years to "lay groundwork," (btw he came on board right after 1998, didn't he? I think the "groundwork" was already there), but at the same time give him credit for anything good that happens in the future. It makes the stomach turn and the blood boil.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JTLiuzza wrote:It's laughable. How long has Dickson been AD? And in all that time he "laid the groundwork for future success." I don't know where they buy their pants with b@lls that big. In one little phrase you can not only completely whitewash 16 years of failure by implying that the situation was so disastrous when he took over, he needed 16 years to "lay groundwork," (btw he came on board right after 1998, didn't he? I think the "groundwork" was already there), but at the same time give him credit for anything good that happens in the future. It makes the stomach turn and the blood boil.
He followed two of the best AD's Tulane has had in my lifetime: Dr. Kevin White, and Sandy Barbour. Had either one been the AD for the 15 years that tricky Rick was our AD, we'd be in a P5 right now. Dickson was a disaster, working with a man who thought he knew it all, when in reality he knew very little.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

BoT member Goldring has been through FIVE AD hires? Now we know where the real problem lies.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Goldrings comment was sickening. He needs to go.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Goldring needs to stay. You need to go. The Goldring family are the wealthiest in New Orleans and as a graduate of Tulane he and his family have given multi million dollars to Tulane athletics. You need to go! This family has done mega things for Tulane. What the hell have you done?
Wavetrader
Low Tide

My God, three long tributes to RD in NOLA.com this week? I completely agree with the others about his lack of wins and losses, but what kills me is that he somehow gets credit for being a superior fundraiser. These stories invariably mention that he is jetting off to Colorado, SanFran, NY, etc, always on the plane several times a week fundraising. I'm sorry but I've seen him in action and he is a horrible fundraiser. His pitch to me was about himself, not about vision or goals of the program, or even to listen to my point of view. Has there been any accounting for the fundraising generated by these trips?

Also in the Glazer tent last year before games he was usually sitting at a table alone eating. He should have been working the crowd, pumping people up about giving more, after all this was the Glazer tent before it was merged with the TAF tent this year. I witnessed the same thing at the Alumni tailgate at one of the road games last year. There was no effort to get to know the 75 or so people there or address the attendees. Either he was embarrassed to engage given his recent track record on wins/losses or he is just lazy.

Furthermore, the Wilson Center should use some imagination in fundraising such as sending the head coaches on the road during the offseason to mingle with alumni in NY, Cali, Houston, Chicago, Philly, Miami, etc at fundraising receptions or golf tourneys. The university where I received my other degree does this and they build good will with the alumni and establish connections to the program - for example they were guaranteed $100K min for a half day fundraising in my city. I've mentioned this several times to the Wilson Center, but nothing ever was done.

We must do better on the next AD hire or we truly are lost.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Goldring's comments are utterly outrageous and mindblowing, and I would argue possibly legally actionable.

Bill Goldring has a legal, fiduciary responsibility to the university stakeholders, which certainly includes "us". Does anyone have any idea what he's talking about when he explains this departure from reality by blaming "inherent challenges that other schools don't." And when I say legally actionable, I mean to say that Rick Dickson is on record as saying something equally as stupid when he said that we were "tied at the hip" with TCU. Last I checked TCU is ranked ahead of LSU. So that statement would seem to not be able to hold up to the very loose legal standard of "reasonable". It's hard to not cross the bar of "reasonable" and yet these comments get there.

Forget about the fact that no one in a leadership position of any kind speaks in such defeatist terms and doesn't get fired, this is just pure nonsense. When Jeff Duncan justifies these lies by saying that Tulane has a "unique academic mission" it's worth asking what this "unique academic mission" might be. Because there are service academies, like Navy, which have a mission that includes national service, and religious universities like BYU which have a religious mission, and yet those univerisites have "unique missions" and yet still manage to win plenty of football games. But someone needs to explain what Tulane's unique mission is that is so different from that of USC or Duke or Notre Dame or Georgia Tech etc. Because if there something "unique", it is absolutely scandalous that none of us stakeholders, who are asked for money, are aware of it.

All of this is outrageous. Goldrings comments are outrageous. Dickson's delusions are outrageous. And Jeff Duncan, for providing a forum for this tripe is an outrage to journalism.

These people are all contributing to the destruction of the university and profiting off of it. This is f*cking disgusting and everyone should be outraged and up in arms. There are no responses, including legal action, that would be considered an overreaction. This is scandalous.
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:... I would argue possibly legally actionable...Bill Goldring has a legal, fiduciary responsibility to the university stakeholders...And when I say legally actionable hold up to the very loose legal standard of "reasonable". It's hard to not cross the bar of "reasonable" and yet these comments get there...There are no responses, including legal action, that would be considered an overreaction.

God Bless Everyone!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:... I would argue possibly legally actionable...Bill Goldring has a legal, fiduciary responsibility to the university stakeholders...And when I say legally actionable hold up to the very loose legal standard of "reasonable". It's hard to not cross the bar of "reasonable" and yet these comments get there...There are no responses, including legal action, that would be considered an overreaction.

You should ask yourself which is worse, my posts or the damage being done by those I'm criticizing. Carefully think through which one you'd rather see stop.
Jonathan
Riptide

Get off Bill Goldring. His family, Magnolia Liquor.,Malcom Woldenberg and Moise Steeg as Tulane graduates Bill and Moise have brought multi multi millions to Tulane and its athletics. What the hell have you brought to criticize him? Nothing! Get lost!
Jonathan
Riptide

Doing a series of articles to praise Rick Dickson. As anyone emailed him about the real Rick Dickson?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I've always knew that the commitment problem was higher up than AD. Now we know for sure it's at the top (the Board level). Dickson and others are just following private and secret orders that alums are not privy to. Now we can see why some coaches have been kept around too long and extended too often. The Tulane Board isn't interested in competing at the top of the athletic food chain. It's content being in the 110-120's of the 125 schools that compete for a national championship. How on earth are we going to hire a quality AD with this mentality?
"Tulane has some inherent challenges that other schools don't," Goldring said. "Tulane is not hiring people at the Nick Saban level. We can't compete with LSU."
This is perhaps the most outrageous quote I've ever read coming from a Tulane Board member and there have been quite a few over the years. Of course the current and recent board members and presidents have created this mentality. This is the reason why no coach like a Nick Saban would ever consider Tulane today. That quote right there, "We can't compete" shows you a lack of commitment toward excellence and winning. Do Tulane board members also have this mentality when it comes to competing with Duke, Stanford, Vanderbilt and others on the academic front? Thankfully I'm proud to say when I attended Tulane in the late 70's early 80's that mentality didn't exist since we beat LSU three out of the 4 years while I was in school. I guess it must have been before Goldring's tenure. Tulane use to schedule TCU all the time because it could count on that as a win. Tulane fans were told by AD Rick Dickson, "We are tied to the hip with TCU". However once TCU made the commitment to "big time athletics" and left CUSA you never heard that quote again. You heard something like this instead, "We're not about wins and losses at Tulane".....
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: You should ask yourself which is worse, my posts or the damage being done by those I'm criticizing. Carefully think through which one you'd rather see stop.
Hmmmm. A man who gives millions to the university or a smug know-it-all who contributes absolutely nothing?

I'll definitely have to carefully think this through.
God Bless Everyone!
Jonathan
Riptide

Get off the Goldrings and their donations of multi millions to Tulane academics and athletics. What the hell have you done for Tulane other than your vile cheap always negative comments on this board!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I've always knew that the commitment problem was higher up than AD. Now we know for sure it's at the top (the Board level). Dickson and others are just following private and secret orders that alums are not privy to.
This is exactly right. And I will repeat yet again that it is not legal for a fiduciary to have a "private and secret" agenda that the stakeholders are unaware of. This is clearly malfeasance in corporate governance.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: You should ask yourself which is worse, my posts or the damage being done by those I'm criticizing. Carefully think through which one you'd rather see stop.
Hmmmm. A man who gives millions to the university or a smug know-it-all who contributes absolutely nothing?

Well when you aren't speaking in clever gifs then you make it awfully clear that you are quite the fool. Everyone else in this thread (save one poster so far, and you should consider who that is) seems to understand where the problem comes from. Money doesn't equal being right. Or I guess you are voting for Donald Trump. Grow up. I don't really care about your childish personal attacks, but it's a problem for Tulane that you don't understand the problem here.
OUG
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:

Like.
OUG
Riptide

From the article:
But wherever you stand on Dickson's tenure, this much cannot be argued: His successor will inherit a program with much greater potential for success than the one Dickson took over in 2000.
How can anyone write that with a straight face?

At the turn of the millenium, Tulane was two years removed from an undefeated season in football. We were a top 60-70 program nationally in basketball. Baseball was a consistent NCAA tournament team. Women's Basketball was a consistent NCAA tournament team. Tennis, Golf, same.

You could maybe argue that Dickson's laid the groundwork to get us back to where we were 16 years ago. You could maybe argue that. But if you dig a huge hole for yourself, you don't get credit for taking the first steps out of it.
Bigschtick
Riptide

51WaveBG wrote:I am not at all hopeful that RD's replacement will be the result of a comprehensive, national search.

Nor are the vast majority here!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

How about comparing us to Temple Mr. Duncan. They made the right investment when they spent $10 million to update their football operations building to get it up to snuff. They have a very nice crowd in a pro stadium.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

What is Temple Thinking....sharing a football stadium with a Professional franchise...do those dumb azz Yankees know you cannot do that and have a successful College Program.... those ingrates need to be taught a lesson, by SC and RD on the correct way to Manage and promote a private university....80 million dollars wasted ...oh the humanity !!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !