Ed Daniels

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Highwave
Low Tide

winwave wrote:
Highwave wrote:
winwave wrote:It goes w/out saying that a good coach can win at Tulane. The problem is in this day and age w/getting a good coach to take the job. There is no administrative support for one. Then there is the very lacking facilities. The administration keeps ignoring the facilities issues. If too many of our fans bury their head in the sand on that then it's over. The demand has to be for a new AD followed by the immediate fundraising for a new on-campus football operations building w/a legit weight room, meeting rooms and a new squad room. Without those facilities there will NEVER BE A GOOD HC AT TULANE AGAIN.
There is no doubt that TU can do more to attract a good coach. However, it is far from a hopeless, thankless job. A hungry coach, with a proven record of success, either as a HC or at least implementing his own off/def system as a coordinator, will win at TU every time. With winning comes $$, with $$ comes improvements, etc.

The alternative is to shell out $$ to short-circuit the above progression, which TU seems unwilling to do institutionally - they are not alone though in that regard. My point is that if you won't fork over the $$ up-front to invest in big time facilities improvements, then at least make the right hires.

Btw, TU has shown it is willing to pay a very competitive salary for a coach and his staff - may have been an issue in the past, but not anymore. So, all we are talking about is institutional support and that at least seems to be heading in a better direction than before. Mind you, if it were up to me, TU would be doing things a lot differently - just saying that us fans shouldn't buy into the myth that you just simply "can't win at Tuh-lane".

Highwave I have often said you can't impart tone on the internet. I say what I'm about to say to reach out to you. You are ignoring an important issue. Our facilities are extremely substandard. All the talk in sports today is player development. We do not have the facilities in place for that. Good coaches recognize that and refuse to come here. Coach after coach discusses how weak we are. The weight room just doesn't cut it. Those good coaches will realize they can't recruit here. CJ was supposed to be a recruiter. Yet as a poster elsewhere pointed out last year a composite of sites put us at 103 in recruiting. To attract good coaches and players the facilities need dramatic change. Otherwise we will never get that good coach to turn things around.
I agree with your analysis of the situation (though talent has improved imho), just not your conclusion that it is prohibitive. Again, I think RD's hiring/firing decisions are the primary impediments to success at TU right now.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

My point is the field of candidates is severely narrowed by the lack of facilities in addition to not wanting to work for RD.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Highwave, which coach accepted before being vetoed by his wife ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Highwave wrote:Not referring to Rich Rod.

We don't disagree that keeping the status quo could be the death knell for TU football.

We disagree that the facilities are an impediment to on-field success. You are ignoring the move up to the AAC and I think that is a significant flaw in your analysis of the current state of the program and how quickly it can be turned around...right now.

That said, we agree that RD's administrative vision for TU fball has to expand and improve substantially and rapidly for us to ever have a shot of getting into a P5- which is where we should be. I think his approach to hiring/firing is the biggest impediment to immediate success, which I think unfortunately is the lynchpin for further program investments.
If it were true that lack of facilities were not an impediment to success, then why have universities collectively invested billions in them? Why is it called "the facilities arms race"? You are welcome to believe what you want but no one involved in college athletics, save Dickson, would agree with you.

Meanwhile, the bigger point is RD's "administrative vision" isn't going to change. I've been saying that exact same thing since 2005, when this direction was obvious through their actions, if not their words. Tulane athletics exists so that Cowen will be able to claim that he and he alone built a college athletics department "the right way". He doesn't care about wins and losses, as Dickson has told you, and Dickson was given basically a 20 year contract in order to carry out Cowen's vision. That vision is about 90%-95% complete and there's no chance they are changing now.

If there's any hope of fixing things, you have to understand what the problem is. Facilities is one problem and Cowen/Dickson is another and neither will be changing. Good night, Tulane Athletics.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
Highwave wrote:
winwave wrote:It goes w/out saying that a good coach can win at Tulane. The problem is in this day and age w/getting a good coach to take the job. There is no administrative support for one. Then there is the very lacking facilities. The administration keeps ignoring the facilities issues. If too many of our fans bury their head in the sand on that then it's over. The demand has to be for a new AD followed by the immediate fundraising for a new on-campus football operations building w/a legit weight room, meeting rooms and a new squad room. Without those facilities there will NEVER BE A GOOD HC AT TULANE AGAIN.
There is no doubt that TU can do more to attract a good coach. However, it is far from a hopeless, thankless job. A hungry coach, with a proven record of success, either as a HC or at least implementing his own off/def system as a coordinator, will win at TU every time. With winning comes $$, with $$ comes improvements, etc.

The alternative is to shell out $$ to short-circuit the above progression, which TU seems unwilling to do institutionally - they are not alone though in that regard. My point is that if you won't fork over the $$ up-front to invest in big time facilities improvements, then at least make the right hires.

Btw, TU has shown it is willing to pay a very competitive salary for a coach and his staff - may have been an issue in the past, but not anymore. So, all we are talking about is institutional support and that at least seems to be heading in a better direction than before. Mind you, if it were up to me, TU would be doing things a lot differently - just saying that us fans shouldn't buy into the myth that you just simply "can't win at Tuh-lane".

Highwave I have often said you can't impart tone on the internet. I say what I'm about to say to reach out to you. You are ignoring an important issue. Our facilities are extremely substandard. All the talk in sports today is player development. We do not have the facilities in place for that. Good coaches recognize that and refuse to come here. Coach after coach discusses how weak we are. The weight room just doesn't cut it. Those good coaches will realize they can't recruit here. CJ was supposed to be a recruiter. Yet as a poster elsewhere pointed out last year a composite of sites put us at 103 in recruiting. To attract good coaches and players the facilities need dramatic change. Otherwise we will never get that good coach to turn things around.
Win I agree. But if I'm interested in coming I tell Tulane I want XYZ on my list in writing before I sign on the dotted line. The problem is most coaches don't trust Tulane to honor their promise.
Rod called Tulane's bluff. Wanted certain things in writing Tulane didn't conform.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

Like I said earlier nobody is coming here without written and verbal promises from President Fitts and the Board. Nobody in the country in the coaching community that is any good wants anything to do with Rick Dickson. Nobody in the country in the coaching community trusts or believes in Tulane University. The word is out there, Believe Me. What Tulane continues to fail to understand is that what they see as a burden and glorified extra-curricular activity (Major Athletics), good coaches see as THEIR CAREER. They aren't going to sacrifice their career and their future to come to a place that doesn't give them every single benefit and opportunity to suceed to further their Career. That's why whenever I hear someone say "Tulane has done Enough to compete and Tulane has Good Enough facilities for now" I laugh at how the person who says that really doesn't understand Sports and Coaching. Are you going to put your own Career in the hands of a University that begrudgingly does "Just Enough" to compete or are you going to go somewhere that is willingly and enthusiastically going above and beyond to do everything in their power to not just COMPETE but to Excel and Win and Win big. Lots of the people on this forum and YOGWF clearly don't understand that Coaching isn't an activity it's men's careers. They are going to go places that will willingly do everything they can to support them, make their job easier, and give them every single tool possible to win games. Every single thing we see with Tulane is Tulane having to be pulled against it's will to do this and that and doing just enough to say they are trying to compete. Nobody worth a sh*t is putting up with that B.S. in today's climate with all the money and facilities available. That's why I think it is over for Tulane Football. We're always behind the curve in sports instead of ahead of it. This University does not want to win championships, they will only do what is absolutely required of them to stay afloat and will only do that 5-10 years too late and begrudgingly. Curtis Johnson is a bad Head Coach, but we aren't getting a good one without a fundamental change in approach towards Football and Athletics from The Board and The President. The End.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
Highwave wrote:

Win I agree. But if I'm interested in coming I tell Tulane I want XYZ on my list in writing before I sign on the dotted line. The problem is most coaches don't trust Tulane to honor their promise.
Rod called Tulane's bluff. Wanted certain things in writing Tulane didn't conform.

That's why I say it's on Tulane to have the plans drawn up and the fundraising ongoing and a timeline in place. Then and only then will the coaching pool be bountiful.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

sader24 wrote:Like I said earlier nobody is coming here without written and verbal promises from President Fitts and the Board. Nobody in the country in the coaching community that is any good wants anything to do with Rick Dickson. Nobody in the country in the coaching community trusts or believes in Tulane University. The word is out there, Believe Me. What Tulane continues to fail to understand is that what they see as a burden and glorified extra-curricular activity (Major Athletics), good coaches see as THEIR CAREER. They aren't going to sacrifice their career and their future to come to a place that doesn't give them every single benefit and opportunity to suceed to further their Career. That's why whenever I hear someone say "Tulane has done Enough to compete and Tulane has Good Enough facilities for now" I laugh at how the person who says that really doesn't understand Sports and Coaching. Are you going to put your own Career in the hands of a University that begrudgingly does "Just Enough" to compete or are you going to go somewhere that is willingly and enthusiastically going above and beyond to do everything in their power to not just COMPETE but to Excel and Win and Win big. Lots of the people on this forum and YOGWF clearly don't understand that Coaching isn't an activity it's men's careers. They are going to go places that will willingly do everything they can to support them, make their job easier, and give them every single tool possible to win games. Every single thing we see with Tulane is Tulane having to be pulled against it's will to do this and that and doing just enough to say they are trying to compete. Nobody worth a sh*t is putting up with that B.S. in today's climate with all the money and facilities available. That's why I think it is over for Tulane Football. We're always behind the curve in sports instead of ahead of it. This University does not want to win championships, they will only do what is absolutely required of them to stay afloat and will only do that 5-10 years too late and begrudgingly. Curtis Johnson is a bad Head Coach, but we aren't getting a good one without a fundamental change in approach towards Football and Athletics from The Board and The President. The End.
Correct. They just spent $100M on gimmicks because they thought they could fool everyone into believing they were committed (or they are monumentally incompetent).

The joke WOULD be on them if they were held accountable with their careers, but instead the joke is on us because its their program now and they will continue drawing large paychecks while destroying something we love and identify with.

It's a disgusting situation that should end in lawsuits.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

How insane is it to think that RichRod was willing to come back but the dynamic duo of Cowen and Dickson to thought they both had leverage to negotiate and knew better.

You can rest assured that the University, not just Athletics, will end up bankrupt with that kind of decision making.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
Highwave wrote:

That's why I say it's on Tulane to have the plans drawn up and the fundraising ongoing and a timeline in place. Then and only then will the coaching pool be bountiful.
Right. And yet the public comments make clear that we don't need it, don't want it and are moving in to Olympic Sports because football is all set.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
Highwave wrote:

I should have added that as that poster pointed out that 103 ranking was before we lost those 3 recruits right before camp started.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Why is it that Ed Daniels doesn't attack the Athletic Director? Rick Dickson is the #1 problem north of Willow Street. Fitts appears to be indifferent about what goes on in the Wilson center. I don't care what kind of commitment Tulane University claims to make about Athletics if Rick Dickson is allowed to continue as Athletic Director. Dickson has failed over and over again and has proven incapable of hiring a quality coach. His judgement on handing out contract extensions, communication with the fan base, scheduling philosophy are all failures!!!!
Show Me
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote:Why is it that Ed Daniels doesn't attack the Athletic Director? Rick Dickson is the #1 problem north of Willow Street. Fitts appears to be indifferent about what goes on in the Wilson center. I don't care what kind of commitment Tulane University claims to make about Athletics if Rick Dickson is allowed to continue as Athletic Director. Dickson has failed over and over again and has proven incapable of hiring a quality coach. His judgement on handing out contract extensions, communication with the fan base, scheduling philosophy are all failures!!!!
Dickson is doing what he's told to do. The board and the president are where the bigger problem lies. You heard what Fitts said about athletics. He believes it's not important in attracting students in the overall picture. That culture is instilled in the board as well. They hired Fitts so they are ok with that agenda.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We don't disagree that keeping the status quo could be the death knell for TU football.

We disagree that the facilities are an impediment to on-field success. You are ignoring the move up to the AAC and I think that is a significant flaw in your analysis of the current state of the program and how quickly it can be turned around...right now.

That said, we agree that RD's administrative vision for TU fball has to expand and improve substantially and rapidly for us to ever have a shot of getting into a P5- which is where we should be. I think his approach to hiring/firing is the biggest impediment to immediate success, which I think unfortunately is the lynchpin for further program investments.
A couple of points not only about this post that I'm quoting, but the thread as well.

1. We're not in better shape than any other member of the AAC, every one of which aspires to be a P5 member. Sorry, but geography and AAU status don't overcome a nation wide perception of "Tulane stinks". Winning gets attention. Winning grows the fan base. Winning makes you attractive. Losing, and losing badly, does just the opposite. We're moving DOWN the list of potential P5 additions, not up.

2. We didn't pay a competitive salary to get our fall back option when we hired CJ. RD gave him a raise in the wake of the 2013 season, one in which CJ himself said the team should have won 9-10 games or more. That raise may be the albatross that prevents his firing. Irony: he is clearly not earning his pay (wins and losses are what matters when you pay a coach over $1 million.) But his high salary and lack of deep pocketed supporters may save his job. We'd have to buy out the remaining years to can him.

3. Any IPF is something that would be an incredible step up, but with access to an NFL IPF, a team that plays outdoors isn't needing to spend $10-20 million that we're not generating to build. Yes, improvements to the locker rooms and training facilities are desperately needed. But an IPF on campus isn't nearly as important as it would be if we didn't have access to the world class IPF in Metarie.

4. The alumni are by and large ignorant of the fact that Tulane Athletics is run like it's an ugly stepchild. Very few alums went to Tulane because we have D1 sports. Fewer still follow Tulane Athletics as closely as those of us that are regulars on this forum. As I've said before, I'll bet if you randomly selected 100 alumni you'd get less than 30 of them that could tell you the name of our football coach and athletics director. A tradition of losing football does that: it creates a "so what" kind of apathetic attitude. Sad to say, but my closest alumni friends (I'm class of 1985) all of whom are big sports fans, would be less than 30% successful if posed the challenge of naming our coach and AD.

5. I'm curious what today's attendance will be. I'm kind of hoping it's empty. I'd like to Administration to see first hand that any momentum built with the opening of an OCS is quickly lost when the team is one of the, if not the worst in FBS. I don't think it's ludicrous to schedule an FCS opponent. I do think picking the Maine Blackbears is comically absurd. Another Dickson failure.

6. Should we fall to Maine today, the University needs to fire CJ by Monday at the latest. Lionel Washington can take over as interim HC, while a new HC could be found among the lower lever G5 ranks. There's plenty out there that would have the team more disciplined and organized, playing better football than what we now have.

7. A loss today would, IMHO, show that the team has given up on this staff. That would be my reason to can CJ. I just don't have the bank account for the buy out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Highwave
Low Tide

jonathanjoseph wrote:

If it were true that lack of facilities were not an impediment to success, then why have universities collectively invested billions in them? Why is it called "the facilities arms race"? You are welcome to believe what you want but no one involved in college athletics, save Dickson, would agree with you.

Meanwhile, the bigger point is RD's "administrative vision" isn't going to change. I've been saying that exact same thing since 2005, when this direction was obvious through their actions, if not their words. Tulane athletics exists so that Cowen will be able to claim that he and he alone built a college athletics department "the right way". He doesn't care about wins and losses, as Dickson has told you, and Dickson was given basically a 20 year contract in order to carry out Cowen's vision. That vision is about 90%-95% complete and there's no chance they are changing now.

If there's any hope of fixing things, you have to understand what the problem is. Facilities is one problem and Cowen/Dickson is another and neither will be changing. Good night, Tulane Athletics.
Look, this program is such a shitshow that we fight each other over things we agree on. Don't get me wrong, I like the discourse but I want to make sure you guys understand that we are in agreement on 99% of what you are saying. You are preaching to the choir- though I do not believe it is some well orchestrated conspiracy that Cowen came up with, I think it is much worse...incompetency.

My original post was intended to unify TU fans on the point that TU fball can do better in spite of its shortcomings, self-imposed and all. The level of success TU can quickly achieve with the right coach imho is unlimited- which I actually hate in part because it is indicative of our weak schedule.

So, to virtually all of the concerns voiced about what TU does not have and will not do, I agree and I am with you. I just want to stop pretending that it is an impediment to getting a coach that can produce better results than we have seen over the past 15 years- and with luck, one that can reproduce Bowden type results.

If all we want came to fruition, we are talking about being a perennial top 20 program, maybe even better. It continues to amaze me that the admin either cannot envision that or does not want to.

And to answer a question above, it was Hudspeth.
nawlinspete
Riptide

JerseyWave wrote:Why is it that Ed Daniels doesn't attack the Athletic Director? Rick Dickson is the #1 problem north of Willow Street. Fitts appears to be indifferent about what goes on in the Wilson center. I don't care what kind of commitment Tulane University claims to make about Athletics if Rick Dickson is allowed to continue as Athletic Director. Dickson has failed over and over again and has proven incapable of hiring a quality coach. His judgement on handing out contract extensions, communication with the fan base, scheduling philosophy are all failures!!!!
Only At Tulane
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

Show Me wrote:
Dickson is doing what he's told to do. The board and the president are where the bigger problem lies. You heard what Fitts said about athletics. He believes it's not important in attracting students in the overall picture. That culture is instilled in the board as well. They hired Fitts so they are ok with that agenda.

Only At Tulane
nawlinspete
Riptide

Thanks for answering.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

As usual Ed is on target.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

As Rick Dickson likes to say Tulane should have or will follow the TCU model. Maybe add the Louisville model to that. Dickson did not have the foresight and Cowen had zero interest.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:Highwave, which coach accepted before being vetoed by his wife ?
RichRod's Wife ( after being fired at Michigan) hated the weather in NOLA....she has severe allergies and the NOLA climate drove her crazy....thus the desert beckoned
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:Highwave, which coach accepted before being vetoed by his wife ?
RichRod's Wife ( after being fired at Michigan) hated the weather in NOLA....she has severe allergies and the NOLA climate drove her crazy....thus the desert beckoned
There was zero chance RichRod was coming here, wife's allergy or not. He knew there was a decent P5 job out there with his name on it.
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
There was zero chance RichRod was coming here, wife's allergy or not. He knew there was a decent P5 job out there with his name on it.
alrighty then ... since you know who's wife it was.....will you please share the info with the rest of the forum....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
alrighty then ... since you know who's wife it was.....will you please share the info with the rest of the forum....
I wasn't arguing with you, nut, I Don't doubt your statement about RichRod and his wife's allergies. I was just stating that we had no shot at RichRod coming here. You don't fall from Michigan to Tulane in one straight drop.
God Bless Everyone!