Scrimmage report- 8-15

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It was a hot humid day w/a slight breeze from the north.

Before the full team took the field Leglue snapped to the kickers on FG's. I watched about 10 snaps and they were all on the money w/good zip. Simms was making FG's from the 45 from both hashes.

Practice started w/Picerelli punting. He hit one for 39 and the next 49. He then kicked from 45 yards out . The first one went to the 10 where Veal caught it. His next one hit at the 20 and Lewis let it roll to the 10.

Kick-offs were next. Logan kicked to goal line and Badie returned it. Block kicked off to the 2. Breaux and Hilliard were lined up deep. Simms then took over. He kicked out of bounds. The next 2 were very deep in the end zone. Glenn and Preston were deep on those.

Field goals were next. They wer kicking from 37 out on the left hash. Dirocco missed hitting the right upright. He hit the next one. Simms then made his despite a high snap from Lizanich. Simms then missed wide right. They moved to the right hash at the same distance. Block shanked left. He then made one w/the snap behind the holder. Logan hit the next one on a high snap. Logan finished by making another on a snap that hit the ground.

Next was 7 on 6. (Seven on the Dside). Lee to Veal for 15to the right. Lee to Scott for 5 over the middle. Lee then threw downfield 15 to Jones but it was incomplete w/good coverage by Shenall and Franklin. Lee went to Lazedrick for 5 over the middle. Breaux then ran a good route and got separation leading to a 15 yard cmpletion. Lee finished by hitting Breaux on the left for 10. All plays started at the 35.

11 on 11 started w/goal line play from the 1. The line left to right was Uzdavinis,Hanson,Sheinle,Taylor and Jacquet. Rounds stopped up the middle for no gain. A penalty was called on Marley and CJ called him to him and yelled at him for 30 seconds. Marley didn't play another play all day. Lee then hit Ardoin for a TD in the back of the EZ. Rounds fumbled on the next attempt. Medina for no gain. Medina then scored. Block kicked the XP and it was good despite a low snap.

They then lined up at the south 25 going north. Lee hit Ardoin for 5 in the air and Ardoin then ran for 40 more down the right sideline. Hilliard then lost 2. The 2's came out and Medina fumbled and the D recovered. Kennedy got hurt and the team moved to the 35. Kelley ran for 3. Kennedy eventually walked off on his own.

The offense then started from the north 2 going south. The D had the 2's in- Kennedy and Williams were the ends w/Redwine and Edwards in at DT. Shenall and Allen at CB. Lewis and Cooper were at safety. Franklin at the hybrid. It was the one's again. Marbley and Harris were at LB's . Jacquet was still at RT. Kelley ran for 3 and then for 2 more. Lee then threw incomplete to Thompson who was well covered by Harris. Lofton went in for Allen on D. Kelley ran for 1 from the 2. Kelley then went for 2. Lee to Jones for 23.

Lee started a new series at the 2 and hit Veal for 9 on the left. He then threw a poor screen pass to Rounds incomplete. Rounds lost one on the left. We huddled on 4th and 2. E. washington jumped offsides. On first down Lee threw a nice pass to Dace in a tight window for 11. He then threw incomplete to Glenn on a no huddle play. Wadleigh ran for 2. On a no huddle play Lee had to scramble right and hit Hicks at the 2 right in the numbers but Hicks dropped it.

The 2's came out w/Powell at the helm. The line left to right was Leglue, Brown,Diaz,Godfrey and KSM. On D Jackson and Webb were at the ends w/ Thomas and Edwards at DT. Shenall and Francis were at CB w/Lewis and Eugene at Safety. Harris and Marbley at LB. Powell hit London in stride down the right side but he dropped it. Eugene was on the coverage. Powell hit Preston for 10. Wadleigh ran for 5. Rounds went for 2. On a no huddle play Rounds caught a swing pass for 8. Wadleigh ran for 6. Under pressure Powell threw incomplete to Preston. Starting a new series he was incomplete to Glenn. He hit London for 3. Powell then threw incomplete to Glenn on a swing pass right.

Cullete came out w/the 3's. Preston caught one here as did Glenn. Cuillette was always locked in on one WR. It ended w/an interception to Lewis b/c he over threw Ardoin.

Lee came in w/the one's on O v. the 2's on D. Lee hit Wadleigh for 4 and then pitched left for 4 to Rounds. Rounds then got 1 for a 4th and one which he picked up by going fro one agian. Under pressure Lee threw to Breaux at the 2 on the right. It was a pretty pass. From the 18 Wadleigh ran for 12. Hicks dropped one at the 6. Lee hit Wadleigh for a TD. On the XP Pic dropped the snap but Simms made it. They did the XP again and the snap was good but Simms missed right.

Jordy Joseph came in. He threw a TD to Dace. On the XP Leglue snapped it well and Block made it.

The next series had another drop by Hicks.

They went red zone going north w/the one's on O v. the 2's. Lee had to step up under pressure and threw it out the EZ . Rounds for 3. Lee then hit Breaux for a TD. Eugene and Lewis were on the coverage but Lee got it in between them. Logan made the XP despite a low snap by Leglue.

Powell came in and they went 2's v. 2's. Powell was incomplete to Glenn in the EZ. Eric Thomas then blocked a pass at the line. Wadleigh then cuauht a 5 yarder. Cuillette came in and hit Preston for 11. He was then intercepted by Shenall. They started over and had a holding call on the O. Cuilette hit Hicks for 10. He then threw in the dirt. Rounds ran for 12. He then threw incomplete. Shenall broke one up to Hicks. He then hit London for a TD. From the right hash 33 yards out w/Lizanich snapping Block hit it and then Logan finished the day by also making one from there.

Lee looked good. He was not locking in on one receiver. He showed off his strong and accurate arm by putting some in some tight windows. The line ws allowing a lot of pressure in pass protection. Badie didn't play RB at all. Hilliard and Lazedrick only made cameo's. Preston looks like he can play this year. Hicks had at least 3 drops. Encalade was out w/ a minor injury. Ardoin is finally showing up.

The D got a lot of pressure and was very active. Shenall looked good. Nickerson didn't play.

The kicking game is a mess. I would go w/ Logan short and Simms long at this point. No sure thing no matter what.

I'm in a rush so I'll probably think of some things later. I'll add when I can.
Last edited by winwave on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Robert1969
Riptide

Robert1969
Riptide

Also, thanks winwave.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Looks like we might want to "stick" with Leglue for the deep snapping.

Good job, as usual, winwave!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Thanks winwave. Almost as good as being there.

Do you think Glen Cuiellette has potential to compete for the starting job in the future or is he destined to be QB3 throughout his career?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Thanks, winwave. Excellent as always.

First and foremost, great news on Tanner Lee. That's the biggest key and it sounds like so far so good.

Disappointing to hear about Cuillette. I had hoped he would have passed up Powell by this point. Would be interested in more thoughts on him.

If Ardoin, Glenn and Preston are ready/able to contribute at WR/slot, that will be a boon to the offense and make me feel much better about the WR depth.

Anyone with further thoughts on Edwards, Calvin Thomas, Marbley, or Breaux? If those guys are ready to contribute elsewhere we'll have much better depth.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote:Thanks winwave. Almost as good as being there.

Do you think Glen Cuiellette has potential to compete for the starting job in the future or is he destined to be QB3 throughout his career?
I think he can develop. He 's very athletic and fluid. His throwing motion is smoother this year. I think it goes back to the question most of us have: can this staff develop QB's?
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

Thus far the only position I've seen this staff truly develop is the cornerback position. You could make a case for DL. I haven't really seen a noticeable level of development at any other positions. Kicking game sounds like it hasn't improved much which is very disconcerting.
Forever TU
Surge

If not for injury Badie could have really "blown up" last year.

I'd argue that the RBs have developed quite well - as has the OL
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The OL still has a good ways to go to be decent. They allowed a lot of pressure today.
Jonathan
Riptide

Great to see one of the twenty that post regularly on this board give us practice updates. Mega hot 112 degrees at my age will fry me. I am sure one or two of you would love to that happen as you disagree with me on the direction Dickson and CJ are taking our football program.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jonathan wrote: Mega hot 112 degrees at my age will fry me. I am sure one or two of you would love to that happen as you disagree with me on the direction Dickson and CJ are taking our football program.
That's not the reason.
God Bless Everyone!
Robert1969
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Great to see one of the twenty that post regularly on this board give us practice updates. Mega hot 112 degrees at my age will fry me. I am sure one or two of you would love to that happen as you disagree with me on the direction Dickson and CJ are taking our football program.
We don't want you to die. We want you to be rational.
Wave QB
Swell

Great report Winwave. Glad to hear about Tanner Lee looking good. He needs to bring it this season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote:Great report Winwave. Glad to hear about Tanner Lee looking good. He needs to bring it this season.
+1
Thanks Win!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

sounds like we're in pretty good shape, except for PKing. And even there, I glean some incremental improvement from Win's write-up.
That's the only thing I'm really worried about (along with depth at a number of positions).

Very happy to hear about Ardoin. That's one of my depth concerns as Charles Jones is the only true TE in the mix (without Ardoin). Scott is more of a role TE and London is, well, London.

Back to PKing, I really hope that when we're on the 30 and out, CJ doesn't just send Simms out there and pray. This is where we need the punter to nail it inside the 10 and let the D go to work. Hold them, get the ball back inside midfield, and give it another try. Play some field position with the defense.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

Winwave - Thanks so much for your practice and scrimmage reports. It really helps us Greenie-out-of-towners get a sense for how the team is progressing. I have flights and hotel booked for the September 3rd opener, trying to stay positive, and hoping for the best this season. One question for you is on the OL. I've seen both you and Guerry post that the OL allowed pressure to the D in the scrimmage. I'm disappointed given OL and RB are supposed to be our major strengths on O this season. Was this pressure as a result of stunts and blitz packages from the D where the OL did not handle them properly, or was it specific areas being overpowered/penetration by our base DLine? Did the 1 OL work against the 1 DL at all on Saturday? On the bright side, maybe our front DLine is legit again this year, but we need our OL to give Lee as much time as possible. Thanks again for your great work and glad you've taken the time.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wavetrader wrote:Winwave - Thanks so much for your practice and scrimmage reports. It really helps us Greenie-out-of-towners get a sense for how the team is progressing. I have flights and hotel booked for the September 3rd opener, trying to stay positive, and hoping for the best this season. One question for you is on the OL. I've seen both you and Guerry post that the OL allowed pressure to the D in the scrimmage. I'm disappointed given OL and RB are supposed to be our major strengths on O this season. Was this pressure as a result of stunts and blitz packages from the D where the OL did not handle them properly, or was it specific areas being overpowered/penetration by our base DLine? Did the 1 OL work against the 1 DL at all on Saturday? On the bright side, maybe our front DLine is legit again this year, but we need our OL to give Lee as much time as possible. Thanks again for your great work and glad you've taken the time.
I think our DL, at least the first 4-5 guys, are pretty legit, certainly better than most DLs we've had outside of '02 and '13. This same OL was, at times, opening some running lanes and giving the QB some time. I have to rely on winwave's proven eyes, but think the OL will be at least decent this season. If the reports of Tanner Lee's improvement are accurate, and goodness knows we were a little early last year, then there's no reason this can't be an 8 win team, outside of coaching.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote:Winwave - Thanks so much for your practice and scrimmage reports. It really helps us Greenie-out-of-towners get a sense for how the team is progressing. I have flights and hotel booked for the September 3rd opener, trying to stay positive, and hoping for the best this season. One question for you is on the OL. I've seen both you and Guerry post that the OL allowed pressure to the D in the scrimmage. I'm disappointed given OL and RB are supposed to be our major strengths on O this season. Was this pressure as a result of stunts and blitz packages from the D where the OL did not handle them properly, or was it specific areas being overpowered/penetration by our base DLine? Did the 1 OL work against the 1 DL at all on Saturday? On the bright side, maybe our front DLine is legit again this year, but we need our OL to give Lee as much time as possible. Thanks again for your great work and glad you've taken the time.
Glad you and the others here enjoyed it. I do what I can to get as much out there as possible as I know different people are interested in different aspects of the practices.

I felt like the times that the pressure got through was when we were blitzing. I still have some hope for the OL. They have progressed every year but considering that they started at awful 3 years ago we still need dramatic improvement just to be an average D-1 line. Last year at times they would have good moments both run blocking and pass blocking. Yet for the third year in a row we lost our starting QB for multiple games. So my point is they need to hopefully reach the point where they are consistent game to game. The size and experience are there so they may turn out OK.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Maybe I am taking what CJ said in the video interview on the Tulane site out of context but he seemed to say that in the next scrimmage he would be holding out even more regulars. I get that we need to see the younger guys to know who can help and who has to RS. However after the poor offensive season we had I think the unit needs as much time as possible together so that they are clicking in the important opener we have.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

One thing I meant to mention in my report was that midway through numerous players were on the field w/their hands on their hips looking winded. Conditioning has been a chronic issue w/this staff. We still have time but conditioning needs to be a focus.