Ryan Griffin

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
chain gang x man
Swell

Ryan Griffin was waived to make room for Shayne Graham

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Got cut today :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh, bummer. Probably to make room for a kicker, whom they didn't have on the 53 man roster.

But with his performance both last preseason and this one, I'll bet he gets signed somewhere. Possibly Buffalo, St. Louis or the first team to lose a QB to injury.

GOOD LUCK RYAN GRIFFIN.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
chain gang x man
Swell

Where will he end up?
Oakland, Houston, St Louis?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Already on the former player board
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4698
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
BC Wave
Swell

Saints hoping at this late hour he will clear waivers and get signed to the practice squad ($100k vs $400k)

St. Louis was interested in him last year. Maybe they will sign him in the next 24 hours)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

If he's not claimed in 24hrs he'll return to the Saints practice squad.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The Rams picked Case Kenum up yesterday.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

BC Wave wrote:Saints hoping at this late hour he will clear waivers and get signed to the practice squad ($100k vs $400k)

St. Louis was interested in him last year. Maybe they will sign him in the next 24 hours)
Clearly, they thought there would be a team interested in trading for Griff. They played a risky game with cutting both kickers, though it seems a WHOLE LOT of teams did things to minimize how much they pay their kickers. I wonder if Graham cost them less signing back today than if he made the original 53 man roster? The NFL has some very strange rules about veterans pay if they make the roster. It may be that Graham's salary would have been guaranteed if he made the roster Saturday at the deadline, and Griff's was not.

Many teams cut players and bring them back a few days later for that reason. I'm not saying that will happen with Ryan, but it may have been a factor with Graham. Seems like more new faces in the kicking club in the NFL this year.

Wish we still had Cairo!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

By Griffin being on Monday's final 53 man roster his salary was guaranteed for the year.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

BC Wave wrote:Saints hoping at this late hour he will clear waivers and get signed to the practice squad ($100k vs $400k)

By Griffin being on Monday's final 53 man roster, his salary was guaranteed for the year.
Graham is now game by game for his pay, as he was not on Monday's roster.
Tulane Class of 1981
IM42lane
Swell

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Jonathan
Riptide

I hope another team picks Ryan up first or if not he gets on the Saints practice squad. I feel that he is a better QB and a younger growth talent than the Saints number 2 QB, a journeyman QB.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:I hope another team picks Ryan up first or if not he gets on the Saints practice squad. I feel that he is a better QB and a younger growth talent than the Saints number 2 QB, a journeyman QB.
I'm sure the Saints are going to eventually put him on the practice squad. But the minute any QB in the league goes down Ryan can be called up if that team offer him an active roster spot. Saints could lose him like that.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Signed back to the Saints practice squad as per Mouton at 5.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would welcome Griff as a graduate assistant, even if he's part time (if possible) while with the Saints. Lord knows we need help at the QB coaching position, and Griff has done some pretty impressive things in this offense.
gwave4
Trickle

If he becomes a graduate assistant it means that he has accepted that the NFL was a short lived dream. If he remains with the Saints, he is a full time NFL quarterback (whether 1st string or 3rd). He won't have time for graduate classes as well as his commitment to coaching.
Tulane '09
NYC/NOLA
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good read here.
In August, QB Ryan Griffin auditioning for New Orleans Saints -- and 31 other teams
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... obileshort
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Played very good last night. 10-17 112yrds. 1 TD.
Had a few drops.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/gamecast?gameId= ... m%2F%22%7D
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes he did. He deserves a shot to play w/the first unit next week.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Yes he did. He deserves a shot to play w/the first unit next week.
Yet he's still a long shot to make the team. For those that weren't watching, the Saints spent a 3rd round draft pick on Garrett Grayson. Not too often do you see a practice squad player beat out a 3rd round draft pick. A lot of time it doesn't matter if he outplays the draft pick, politics play a huge role.

In a similar vein, Orleans Darkwa looked pretty good before I turned the Giants game off. He scored the Giants first points of the season, and had some nice runs playing behind the starting O line against the second string Bengals D. With Jennings, Williams, and Vereen assured of roster spots, Darkwa is in a dogfight with undrafted rookie Akeem Hunt out of Purdue for a roster spot.
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
winwave wrote:Yes he did. He deserves a shot to play w/the first unit next week.
Yet he's still a long shot to make the team. For those that weren't watching, the Saints spent a 3rd round draft pick on Garrett Grayson. Not too often do you see a practice squad player beat out a 3rd round draft pick. A lot of time it doesn't matter if he outplays the draft pick, politics play a huge role.

In a similar vein, Orleans Darkwa looked pretty good before I turned the Giants game off. He scored the Giants first points of the season, and had some nice runs playing behind the starting O line against the second string Bengals D. With Jennings, Williams, and Vereen assured of roster spots, Darkwa is in a dogfight with undrafted rookie Akeem Hunt out of Purdue for a roster spot.
Olreans looks like he worked hard in the off season. I hope he co continues to do well. Griffin made some nice tosses last night and showed some improvement in his footwork.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:

He's competing w/McCown for a spot not Grayson. Unfortunately the politics is that the Saints are likely not to go into the season w/two QB's who have not played a down in the regular season. So Griffin is likely headed elsewhere. Just keep putting good stuff on film RG4.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: He's competing w/McCown for a spot not Grayson. Unfortunately the politics is that the Saints are likely not to go into the season w/two QB's who have not played a down in the regular season. So Griffin is likely headed elsewhere. Just keep putting good stuff on film RG4.
Because the Saints keep three qb's on the roster so often, you're right, he's competing with McCown. Grayson is a done deal to make the team. We both agree that politics work against Griff. I hope his dream continues.
Jonathan
Riptide

Nice young man and a compliment for Tulane athletics but because of his limited abilities in my opinion he will always be at most a back up QB in the NFL.