The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

We will have 13 Seniors and 18 Juniors in the two deep depth chart next year (assuming all Jr and Soph in it this year come back). Notables are Tanner Lee as a RS Junior. Of our 29 returning starters this year, only 3 are Seniors.

Good Lord are we going to win a bunch of games next year:

09/10 - Southern
10/01 - at UMass
10/08 - UL Lafayette
TBA - at Wake Forest

American West Schedule:
@Tulsa
@Houston
SMU
Memphis
Navy

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:We will have 13 Seniors and 18 Juniors in the two deep depth chart next year (assuming all Jr and Soph in it this year come back). Notables are Tanner Lee as a RS Junior. Of our 29 returning starters this year, only 3 are Seniors.

09/10 - Southern
10/01 - at UMass
10/08 - UL Lafayette
TBA - at Wake Forest

American West Schedule:
@Tulsa
@Houston
SMU
Memphis
Navy
Ya and a win over an $EC school on the road would look dam good as well, just saying.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

Well, it is too late now for next year, but we have three OOC spots open in 2017 , two in 2018, one in 2019, and two in 2020 according to http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/aac/tul ... n-wave.php

I bet we cancel the 2nd away date at Wake. That deal was signed way back if Im not mistaken.
Dave breslin
Swell

RD is trying to replace one of those teams with John Jay University of Tonsorial and Beauty
Eaglewave
Swell

Until we get serious about a winning, I want to see more schedules like this. I hope we give Idaho, Old Dominion, Abeline Christian and Charlotte a call for games as well. I am sorry fellas, I hate going 2-10 and 3-9 knowing that coaching changes won't happen.. I would rather watch us in the Bud's Broiler Bowl over sitting at home with a 3-9 record and happy we played tougher schools in the process.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:Until we get serious about a winning, I want to see more schedules like this. I hope we give Idaho, Old Dominion, Abeline Christian and Charlotte a call for games as well. I am sorry fellas, I hate going 2-10 and 3-9 knowing that coaching changes won't happen.. I would rather watch us in the Bud's Broiler Bowl over sitting at home with a 3-9 record and happy we played tougher schools in the process.
You'd be sitting there alone watching that BS. Just shut it down and end the misery before going that route.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:Until we get serious about a winning, I want to see more schedules like this. I hope we give Idaho, Old Dominion, Abeline Christian and Charlotte a call for games as well. I am sorry fellas, I hate going 2-10 and 3-9 knowing that coaching changes won't happen.. I would rather watch us in the Bud's Broiler Bowl over sitting at home with a 3-9 record and happy we played tougher schools in the process.
You'd be sitting there alone watching that BS. Just shut it down and end the misery before going that route.

I been sitting alone with a sea of empty seats around me for a very long time. Shutting down the program should never be an option.

Since we aren't serious another championship football, we might schedule smaller teams who will make us bowl eligible before week 10. With the way we play at times, no Southern or UMass game is a sure win
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:

I been sitting alone with a sea of empty seats around me for a very long time. Shutting down the program should never be an option.

Since we aren't serious another championship football, we might schedule smaller teams who will make us bowl eligible before week 10. With the way we play at times, no Southern or UMass game is a sure win
We'll have to agree to disagree.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:We will have 13 Seniors and 18 Juniors in the two deep depth chart next year (assuming all Jr and Soph in it this year come back). Notables are Tanner Lee as a RS Junior. Of our 29 returning starters this year, only 3 are Seniors.

09/10 - Southern
10/01 - at UMass
10/08 - UL Lafayette
TBA - at Wake Forest

American West Schedule:
@Tulsa
@Houston
SMU
Memphis
Navy
Ya and a win over an $EC school on the road would look dam good as well, just saying.
No need to "just say". A road SEC win would be a huge score for a program trying to prove it belongs P5 and you couldn't script a better opportunity.

Thankfully we have Rick Dickson, who knows better.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:

Yeah scheduling down just to win and make some lower bowl game is not a winning strategy for anyone. But Eaglewave is on to something which is that Dickson's current strategy of not really trying to be successful isn't a workable strategy either.

But hey, Dickson knows better.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Since we aren't serious another championship football, we might schedule smaller teams who will make us bowl eligible before week 10. With the way we play at times, no Southern or UMass game is a sure win
UMass, in a very short time, has come to be at least as strong as Tulane on the gridiron. If the game were played to open the season this year in Foxboro, (instead of sometime in 2016) UMass would be favored. And I'd lay the points. Yes, they've only been playing D1(okay "FBS") football a short time, but it's amazing how easy it is to get stronger than Tulane when you try to win.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:

Please note that I hate the fact that I disagree.

If we were serious winning and held our coaches to a standard, I wouldn't feel this way. I would want to see us play 1 SEC, 1 ACC and 1 top 3 Sun Belt/C-USA program every year before conference play. However, we do not demand winning athletics and continue to get disappointed. Until we become a serious program that wants to build conference championship competing teams, I want to see us win games instead of losing all of the time. I will take a 7 win season with a NOLA Bowl appearance over going 3-9 with a great schedule any day. Winning is the only thing that will save this program.
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
Eaglewave wrote: Since we aren't serious another championship football, we might schedule smaller teams who will make us bowl eligible before week 10. With the way we play at times, no Southern or UMass game is a sure win
UMass, in a very short time, has come to be at least as strong as Tulane on the gridiron. If the game were played to open the season this year in Foxboro, (instead of sometime in 2016) UMass would be favored. And I'd lay the points. Yes, they've only been playing D1(okay "FBS") football a short time, but it's amazing how easy it is to get stronger than Tulane when you try to win.
I agree.

We have seen CJ and company lose to USA after they loss to a FCS team, and we dropped a road loss to UTSA as well.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:

If we were serious winning and held our coaches to a standard, I wouldn't feel this way. I would want to see us play 1 SEC, 1 ACC and 1 top 3 Sun Belt/C-USA program every year before conference play. However, we do not demand winning athletics and continue to get disappointed. Until we become a serious program that wants to build conference championship competing teams, I want to see us win games instead of losing all of the time. I will take a 7 win season with a NOLA Bowl appearance over going 3-9 with a great schedule any day. Winning is the only thing that will save this program.
I know you hate feeling that way.

Remember that just b/c we play a weak schedule doesn't rule out going 3-9. We struggled to 7-6 against the weakest schedule ever and that's with several of those teams missing key players the week they played us. But even if we reverted to that type of scheduling and went 7-6 it wouldn't save the program. It would just prolong the misery. No one would be following and the program would continue to be laughed at.
Wavetime
Swell

We need to get back to our roots, period. We are a small private university in the south with a SEC heritage. It's time we start acting that way. No one loves the conference we are in, but we still have several games to play with. I'm all for two SEC games and 1 other P5 home and home. The rest can be G5, but not FCS. One year our OOC can be Duke and Ole Miss at home with Vandy and Colorado St on the road. The next it could be Reversed. People will come to see that.
Jonathan
Riptide

I predict 4 wins upcoming season another losingu one. Dickson will not retire and gives CJ a contract extension like Toledo. CJ refuses to fire Prices. Another 4th in state recruiting class by CJ. Same old same old.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:We need to get back to our roots, period. We are a small private university in the south with a SEC heritage. It's time we start acting that way. No one loves the conference we are in, but we still have several games to play with. I'm all for two SEC games and 1 other P5 home and home. The rest can be G5, but not FCS. One year our OOC can be Duke and Ole Miss at home with Vandy and Colorado St on the road. The next it could be Reversed. People will come to see that.
That's the type of attitude we need.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:

Remember that just b/c we play a weak schedule doesn't rule out going 3-9. We struggled to 7-6 against the weakest schedule ever and that's with several of those teams missing key players the week they played us. But even if we reverted to that type of scheduling and went 7-6 it wouldn't save the program. It would just prolong the misery. No one would be following and the program would continue to be laughed at.
I hear ya, but we are already being laughed at by having all of these losing seasons. I don't believe in our administration, and our coaching staff hasn't given me a reason to believe that they are good enough to beat good FBS programs.

I know folks hate the fact that I want easy schedules because I hate it as well. However, I hate having losing seasons and want to be a bowl program. I begged and begged for a 2013 schedule for a good reason. We were talking about a new stadium in fall 2011 for the 2014 season. I knew that we needed to have a good season in 2013 in order to get fans excited for the 2014 season. The excitement before the Tulsa game and opening day vs Georgia Tech showed that it worked. CJ and company just coughed up what could have been a 6 win season. Temple, Tulsa, UCF were all games that should have gone to the wave.

After another disappointing year, I am calling for another easy schedule. In 2012, I picked us to win 7 games. However, losing our best offensive and defensive players before the season shattered that. In 2013, I picked us to win 10 to 11 games, but we found a way to lose to USA, UTSA, FAU and ULL to mess up my prediction. However, we at least got a chance to see our hardworking seniors like Darkwa, Davenport, Santos, Warmsley and Grant be apart of something that Tulane players don't get a chance to experience. The had been thorough some very tough times together.

No matter who much we hate the way things are being done, we need to give our kids the best chance to play in bowl games. Nobody wants losing seasons.
Ball Sumrall!
MicMan
Swell

Eaglewave wrote:However, we at least got a chance to see our hardworking seniors like Darkwa, Davenport, Santos, Warmsley and Grant be apart of something that Tulane players don't get a chance to experience. The had been thorough some very tough times together.

No matter who much we hate the way things are being done, we need to give our kids the best chance to play in bowl games. Nobody wants losing seasons.
Not a great attitude. No medals for trying. A bowl game used to be a reward. No one wants another home game/crap bowl.
Eaglewave
Swell

MicMan wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:However, we at least got a chance to see our hardworking seniors like Darkwa, Davenport, Santos, Warmsley and Grant be apart of something that Tulane players don't get a chance to experience. The had been thorough some very tough times together.

Not a great attitude. No medals for trying. A bowl game used to be a reward. No one wants another home game/crap bowl.
Oh well. I am tried of sitting at home during the bowl season watching teams like New Mexico and Western Kentucky enjoy the bowl season while we b_tch and moan on this board about Dickson and next year. I would rather be a minor bowl playing program complaining about not being a major bowl playing program. I would travel to see us in the Heart of Dallas Bowl over sitting home with a 3-9 record.

Yes, I hate the fact that this is attitude, but I am a fan sick of having losing seasons with a program that doesn't hold coaches accountable for losing.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:

I hear ya, but we are already being laughed at by having all of these losing seasons. I don't believe in our administration, and our coaching staff hasn't given me a reason to believe that they are good enough to beat good FBS programs.

I know folks hate the fact that I want easy schedules because I hate it as well. However, I hate having losing seasons and want to be a bowl program. I begged and begged for a 2013 schedule for a good reason. We were talking about a new stadium in fall 2011 for the 2014 season. I knew that we needed to have a good season in 2013 in order to get fans excited for the 2014 season. The excitement before the Tulsa game and opening day vs Georgia Tech showed that it worked. CJ and company just coughed up what could have been a 6 win season. Temple, Tulsa, UCF were all games that should have gone to the wave.

After another disappointing year, I am calling for another easy schedule. In 2012, I picked us to win 7 games. However, losing our best offensive and defensive players before the season shattered that. In 2013, I picked us to win 10 to 11 games, but we found a way to lose to USA, UTSA, FAU and ULL to mess up my prediction. However, we at least got a chance to see our hardworking seniors like Darkwa, Davenport, Santos, Warmsley and Grant be apart of something that Tulane players don't get a chance to experience. The had been thorough some very tough times together.

So there's some nuance here. You are correct that a reaching minor bowl game based on a weak schedule is going to draw better than the average Rick Dickson Tulane program that wins 3 or 4 games getting embarrassed multiple times along the way.

But again, to what end? The typical Dickson disaster season averages 5k actual bodies. The 2013 season probably ~15k actual bodies and is absolutely preferable to a 3 win team averaging 5k.

The problem is that's neither sustainable nor a solution. The $100M just spent on athletics cannot be profitable on a program that draws 15k, and Tulane would still remain a national laughing stock.

There aren't tricks or shortcuts to success in D1A athletics, despite the fact that Cowen/Dickson think they are so smart that they know better, despite the results and reality telling them otherwise.

If the idea is to have some "other" type of program that intends to succeed by scheduling tricks rather than actual success, then yes shut the program down. It will not work.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Eaglewave wrote:
MicMan wrote:

Oh well. I am tried of sitting at home during the bowl season watching teams like New Mexico and Western Kentucky enjoy the bowl season while we b_tch and moan on this board about Dickson and next year. I would rather be a minor bowl playing program complaining about not being a major bowl playing program. I would travel to see us in the Heart of Dallas Bowl over sitting home with a 3-9 record.

Yes, I hate the fact that this is attitude, but I am a fan sick of having losing seasons with a program that doesn't hold coaches accountable for losing.
What does that mean "enjoy bowl season"? So they get to play 1 more meaningless game that draws fewer attendees and TV viewers than any average P5 regular season game?

The idea that making a bowl is some kind of honor or reward is long gone. Almost 2/3 of teams make bowls. Any team with a winning record make a bowl game.

The biggest problem for us in not making some garbage bowl game is the loss of 3 weeks of formal practice and 3 extra weeks to stew in the miserable failure that is Cowen/Dickson's Tulane Model.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
winwave wrote:

Like I said what happens when we go 3-9 against that crap. This is the type of thinking that keeps the program mired in mediocrity. Aresco isn't going to put up w/crap scheduling and still going 3-9 and then we have to beg back into CUSA. It's clearly not a solution. Also it's important to point out that that at all those that claimed it was a great plan that would get the program rolling again were flat out wrong.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Eaglewave wrote:
MicMan wrote:

What does that mean "enjoy bowl season"? So they get to play 1 more meaningless game that draws fewer attendees and TV viewers than any average P5 regular season game?

The idea that making a bowl is some kind of honor or reward is long gone. Almost 2/3 of teams make bowls. Any team with a winning record make a bowl game.

The biggest problem for us in not making some garbage bowl game is the loss of 3 weeks of formal practice and 3 extra weeks to stew in the miserable failure that is Cowen/Dickson's Tulane Model.
The 3 weeks of extra practice didn't do anything for us.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

Winwave, Jonathan,

What are you doing to make Tulane football successful? All I see is criticism.

Do you contribute to TAF? That is what it takes to have a constructive relationship with the athletics administration.

i am not going JTs dorkie-tard on you and advocating attitude policing. That other site was founded in the necessity for a counter-attack against a bad administration and then got taken over by a wimpy apologist. I am honestly curious about your actual current relationships with Tulane beyond this forum. Neither of you have the pull to fire Rick Dickson, nor do I. Only the President can fire him. Only the Board can fire the President. So what are you guys going to do differently than complain?