Bye Bye Payton Henson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
JerseyWave
Riptide

TXWave88 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Henson, like most of Conroy's recruits prior to this year, would have been a good player at The Citadel.
Since we are bashing players, I would have rather gotten rid of other players before Henson. If we needed a spot open for a transfer center, then I probably would have looked at the center position for the swap. That would be a direct increase in talent over what we had. Just saying.
Not looking to bash any players. One of my rules is not to criticize Student Athletes unless they do something to embarrass the Tulane brand. I attack Coaches and Administrators who are collecting paychecks.

The fact is, suddenly, Conroy has had some sort of revelation and something has happened to change Basketball recruiting. I wouldn't have had any problem with Henson staying, completing his eligibility and graduating. Was it 100% his decision to transfer or was it encouraged by the coaching staff. Two years ago half the roster transferred including the two best players. Conroy replaced the defections with everyone's leftovers. This time around the roster purge is allowing great talent into the program. The 2015 class is now arguably the best basketball signing class in school history.
Last edited by JerseyWave on Mon May 11, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

You don't get to ask a question and then dictate how it will be answered. Henson was developing and was understanding what his game is. We all get what we hope Jarreau will be but he's been in college 4 years and hasn't done it. We already have Blake Paul who should fill that role. So Henson.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:You don't get to ask a question and then dictate how it will be answered. Henson was developing and was understanding what his game is. We all get what we hope Jarreau will be but he's been in college 4 years and hasn't done it. We already have Blake Paul who should fill that role. So Henson.
I thought you'd pick Henson. Glad you're on the record now.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:You don't get to ask a question and then dictate how it will be answered. Henson was developing and was understanding what his game is. We all get what we hope Jarreau will be but he's been in college 4 years and hasn't done it. We already have Blake Paul who should fill that role. So Henson.
Gee like it's not obvious that's what you were doing already. :roll:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Hey I just wanted to see it in writing. Now we can all hope you're wrong and our coaches are right in their evaluation going forward. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Hey I just wanted to see it in writing. Now we can all hope you're wrong and our coaches are right in their evaluation going forward. :mrgreen:
Read the thread. It's been there all along.

Actually hopefully I'm right about Blake Paul giving us the defense we hope to get out of that spot.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

In the end I look at offers.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Some people just can't see the forest for the trees. Or they just refuse to understand, have an agenda or really have no clue about the bigger picture. If Henson stays we don't have the room to get Jenard Jarreau. Since Jarreau came here and not at Ok St we have a better shot to get his 4 star younger cousin DeJon Jarreau class of 2016. It's relationships that we are finally building.

Look below and learn JJ. You really have no clue on this subject. You are trolling here. Stick to the topic you know best, Cowen bashing please.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... on-jarreau
Here's the updated list.
Offers from UMass, Washington, UL-Lafayette, UNO, Oklahoma, Tulsa, Southeastern, Memphis, LA Tech, Boston College, Oral Roberts, Northwestern State, Tulane, Miami, Oklahoma State and Temple. UNLV, Baylor, Wake, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Arizona are also recruiting him.
What are you talking about? It is confirmed that the staff did not want Henson to leave and tried to get him to stay. That makes your above scenario moot and especially bizarre from the guy whose position it is that we can't be successful and we should just hold our breath and hope we get lucky once every 10 or fifteen years. Now what appears to be problematic attrition is just a sly scheme to take over Louisiana basketball recruiting? Ok.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JerseyWave wrote:
TXWave88 wrote:
JerseyWave wrote:Henson, like most of Conroy's recruits prior to this year, would have been a good player at The Citadel.
Since we are bashing players, I would have rather gotten rid of other players before Henson. If we needed a spot open for a transfer center, then I probably would have looked at the center position for the swap. That would be a direct increase in talent over what we had. Just saying.
Not looking to bash any players. One of my rules is not to criticize Student Athletes unless they do something to embarrass the Tulane brand. I attack Coaches and Administrators who are collecting paychecks.

The fact is, suddenly, Conroy has had some sort of revelation and something has happened to change Basketball recruiting. I wouldn't have had any problem with Henson staying, completing his eligibility and graduating. Was it 100% his decision to transfer or was it encouraged by the coaching staff. Two years ago half the roster transferred including the two best players. Conroy replaced the defections with everyone's leftovers. This time around the roster purge is allowing great talent into the program. The 2015 class is now arguably the best basketball signing class in school history.

I assume you would still consider it behind the Honeycutt class.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Some people just can't see the forest for the trees. Or they just refuse to understand, have an agenda or really have no clue about the bigger picture. If Henson stays we don't have the room to get Jenard Jarreau. Since Jarreau came here and not at Ok St we have a better shot to get his 4 star younger cousin DeJon Jarreau class of 2016. It's relationships that we are finally building.

Look below and learn JJ. You really have no clue on this subject. You are trolling here. Stick to the topic you know best, Cowen bashing please.
Here's the updated list.
Offers from UMass, Washington, UL-Lafayette, UNO, Oklahoma, Tulsa, Southeastern, Memphis, LA Tech, Boston College, Oral Roberts, Northwestern State, Tulane, Miami, Oklahoma State and Temple. UNLV, Baylor, Wake, Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Arizona are also recruiting him.
What are you talking about? It is confirmed that the staff did not want Henson to leave and tried to get him to stay. That makes your above scenario moot and especially bizarre from the guy whose position it is that we can't be successful and we should just hold our breath and hope we get lucky once every 10 or fifteen years. Now what appears to be problematic attrition is just a sly scheme to take over Louisiana basketball recruiting? Ok.
link? I personally don't see him ever getting more than 15 minutes with this roster, This thread is really gone on too long, IMHO.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Here's the updated list.
link? I personally don't see him ever getting more than 15 minutes with this roster, This thread is really gone on too long, IMHO.
The source is his mom on Twitter. She yelled at the former Hullabaloo editor who also assumed that Henson had been run off to make way for new talent.

It goes on because the idea that he has been "replaced" by any of the freshman is not at all yet clear if not foolish. I haven't seen much or any of these guys but at first glance all the big men coming in are pure 5s or 4's without much offense. It's not clear to me that any of them can play traditional power forward much less a face-up power forward.

Just the threat of an outside shot at the 4 opens up the floor for all the athletic wings we just got, who are the highlights of the recruiting class. Henson was coming on at the end of the year and would have been in the regular rotation regardless of who was coming in as a freshman.
Show Me
Tsunami

Here's what usually happens. At the end of the season every returning player has an exit interview with the head coach. The strengths and weakness of each player is discussed along with expectations for next year. Henson didnt like what he was told and decided not to stay. Doesn't get any more simplistic than that. Tulane says we want you to stay but we appreciate what you've done. Good Luck and here's your release. They get on the phone with Jarreau and say hey we've just got a spot that became available come home and play in front of your friends and relatives. He agrees and leaves Oklahoma State at the altar. All is well. We lost a 2 star talent 13% 3 point shooter and gained a 4 star one that should really fill a hole we had. Henson will land somewhere like Ark St.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Here's the updated list.
The source is his mom on Twitter. She yelled at the former Hullabaloo editor who also assumed that Henson had been run off to make way for new talent.

It goes on because the idea that he has been "replaced" by any of the freshman is not at all yet clear if not foolish. I haven't seen much or any of these guys but at first glance all the big men coming in are pure 5s or 4's without much offense. It's not clear to me that any of them can play traditional power forward much less a face-up power forward.

Just the threat of an outside shot at the 4 opens up the floor for all the athletic wings we just got, who are the highlights of the recruiting class. Henson was coming on at the end of the year and would have been in the regular rotation regardless of who was coming in as a freshman.
His mom, really.

Too slow to cover/play the 3, not strong enough to cover/play the 4. If you knew you were getting Jareau maybe you prefer dumping Smith over Henson. The fact is that it's done. Time will tell what the right choice was, but I really believe he realized the minutes were not going to increase and left, TU really couldn't do anything about it. It's really about time to move on from this topic.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Here's the updated list.

His mom, really.

Too slow to cover/play the 3, not strong enough to cover/play the 4. If you knew you were getting Jareau maybe you prefer dumping Smith over Henson. The fact is that it's done. Time will tell what the right choice was, but I really believe he realized the minutes were not going to increase and left, TU really couldn't do anything about it. It's really about time to move on from this topic.
You've got to be kidding me. You are missing the entire point which is that it was not a choice. A player who would have been in the rotation asked to leave, something that is becoming an ugly trend during the Conroy era.

As for Jarreau, the data says that he was not a better player than Henson last season. I'm just telling you what the data says. Also, given how closely some of you are supposed to be watching this program, it seems no one remembers that Henson was on a tear in the stretch run. Sometimes the light bulb goes on for a player.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:. You are missing the entire point which is that it was not a choice. A Also, given how closely some of you are supposed to be watching this program, it seems no one remembers that Henson was on a tear in the stretch run. Sometimes the light bulb goes on for a player.
You JJ apparently don't watch. So you call a tear making 2 out of 3 three pointers against Houston in his last game to finish the year 4 out of 30 in AAC play. Wow just wow.
So before that tear he was 2 out of 27.
Yes what a tear!
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

Here's the updated list.

His mom, really.

You've got to be kidding me. You are missing the entire point which is that it was not a choice. A player who would have been in the rotation asked to leave, something that is becoming an ugly trend during the Conroy era.

As for Jarreau, the data says that he was not a better player than Henson last season. I'm just telling you what the data says. Also, given how closely some of you are supposed to be watching this program, it seems no one remembers that Henson was on a tear in the stretch run. Sometimes the light bulb goes on for a player.
He wasn't going to get an increase in the average minutes he played last year, how does that concept escape you? Jarreau played more minutes, in a better league and can go inside. We need interior guys over an average athletic 3/4. Really hte kid could have gone to Oak St, have my doubts Henson gets a better offer.

Can you just agree to disagree on any topic? God its tiresome. I have been one of the harshest EC critics, this loss is really not a big deal considering who we have coming in......if I was Henson I too would probably rather go elsewhere and get more minutes. It's primarily a playing time issue IMHO. Let's at least see how TU and his career plays out.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:. You are missing the entire point which is that it was not a choice. A Also, given how closely some of you are supposed to be watching this program, it seems no one remembers that Henson was on a tear in the stretch run. Sometimes the light bulb goes on for a player.
You JJ apparently don't watch. So you call a tear making 2 out of 3 three pointers against Houston in his last game to finish the year 4 out of 30 in AAC play. Wow just wow.
Yes what a tear!
That's incorrect.

During March, Henson averaged 14.5 pts, 4.3 rebs on 81% FG. That's 17-21 FG and 5-6 3FG over a three game stretch.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ton-henson

Fairly certain that anyone on the planet would call that being on a tear.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: He wasn't going to get an increase in the average minutes he played last year, how does that concept escape you? Jarreau played more minutes, in a better league and can go inside. We need interior guys over an average athletic 3/4. Really hte kid could have gone to Oak St, have my doubts Henson gets a better offer.

Can you just agree to disagree on any topic? God its tiresome. I have been one of the harshest EC critics, this loss is really not a big deal considering who we have coming in......if I was Henson I too would probably rather go elsewhere and get more minutes. It's primarily a playing time issue IMHO. Let's at least see how TU and his career plays out.
Down the stretch Henson was playing a steady 27 minutes per game. What's utterly insane is that you take Jarreau's taking most or all of Henson's playing time to be a fact, even though the data says that Henson was the better player. The data says that Henson is a better rebounder.

That this is not a big loss is an opinion that isn't really supported by the facts.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote: He wasn't going to get an increase in the average minutes he played last year, how does that concept escape you? Jarreau played more minutes, in a better league and can go inside. We need interior guys over an average athletic 3/4. Really hte kid could have gone to Oak St, have my doubts Henson gets a better offer.

Down the stretch Henson was playing a steady 27 minutes per game. What's utterly insane is that you take Jarreau's taking most or all of Henson's playing time to be a fact, even though the data says that Henson was the better player. The data says that Henson is a better rebounder.

That this is not a big loss is an opinion that isn't really supported by the facts.
How about this, IMO JARREAU FITS A BIGGER NEED FOR THIS TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE! What is so hard for you to comprehend? God you make it hard to enjoy this website for so many.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Yes what a tear!
That's incorrect.

During March, Henson averaged 14.5 pts, 4.3 rebs on 81% FG. That's 17-21 FG and 5-6 3FG over a three game stretch.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ton-henson

Fairly certain that anyone on the planet would call that being on a tear.
According to the link below he only made 4 3's all year against AAC teams. So let's assume your 5 of 6 in March is correct. That would mean he was 0 for 24 the rest of the year in AAC play.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/m ... mcume.html
I'm done on this topic. Go follow him at his next stop.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

The data doesn't account for the difference in competition, I'll be shocked if Jarreau doesn't have a greater impact at Tulane than Henson did
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

How about this, IMO JARREAU FITS A BIGGER NEED FOR THIS TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE! What is so hard for you to comprehend? God you make it hard to enjoy this website for so many.
As you typed yourself, it is an opinion that Jarreau fits a bigger need for this team. Even assuming Jarreau is a better player, I'm not sure I agree. Why are other opinions, which you are confusing with facts, making this forum hard to enjoy?
TXWave88
Surge

Personally, I dont think that Henson was going to make or break our roster. With or with us, it does not make a difference to me. We filled a bigger need with Jarreau, but its not a one for one replacement. Like comparing Dirk Nowitzki to Dwight Howard... I just tried to say that I would rather have Henson on the team than some of the remainders we have. Point being, Jarreau is filling a hole that we have bc our big guys are as athletic as an elephant with 4 broken legs. To win our league, you need a presence down low. Glad to see it.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Profoundwizard wrote:The data doesn't account for the difference in competition, I'll be shocked if Jarreau doesn't have a greater impact at Tulane than Henson did
Man this is some crazy level of group think.

As a matter of fact, many of the advanced metrics are normalized for competition, including the "Box plus/minus" I referenced.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TXWave88 wrote:Personally, I dont think that Henson was going to make or break our roster. With or with us, it does not make a difference to me. We filled a bigger need with Jarreau, but its not a one for one replacement. Like comparing Dirk Nowitzki to Dwight Howard... I just tried to say that I would rather have Henson on the team than some of the remainders we have. Point being, Jarreau is filling a hole that we have bc our big guys are as athletic as an elephant with 4 broken legs. To win our league, you need a presence down low. Glad to see it.
This is a great take. The two players fill different roles.