Bye Bye Payton Henson

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
TURVS71
Swell

The rats continue to abandon the ship!!

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
puffy
Surge

Sorry to see him go, but it opens up another 18 minutes per game at the small forward spot.

The four perimeter oriented players that are leaving shot a combined 24% from three point land in conference last season.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Hate to see that. Early last season it seemed he finally realized he needed to concentrate on being an inside player and became somewhat productive. Then very late he seemed to finally start making some three's. Was looking forward to him becoming a threat inside and out. Now we'll never know.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Another one! What approx twenty now deserting Conroy and his program. Fifth player this year! Dickson why did you not fire Conroy when our best player Tarrant and group left? Please save Tulane men's basketball. Really sick.
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue May 05, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TXWave88
Surge

So who are we picking up since we cleared room for another player? Or was this catching up room needed to be cleared? I do find it funny that even EC knows he did a lousy job recruiting in the past that he is running some of his players off, either intentionally or unintentionally.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Better talent is coming in, but this amount of attrition is very bad for the program. I wonder if Conroy is pushing guys out the door or are they leaving on their own. I hope this means he's getting a transfer or two. We should know soon who is taking Henson's place.
TXWave88
Surge

JerseyWave wrote:Better talent is coming in, but this amount of attrition is very bad for the program. I wonder if Conroy is pushing guys out the door or are they leaving on their own. I hope this means he's getting a transfer or two. We should know soon who is taking Henson's place.
Our roster has been completely different every other year with Conroy and we havent gotten much better. Unless you are a school like Kentucky, Duke, etc, you have to get good players and develop them over 3-4 years to make real good teams and tournament runs (similar to UNI this year). Conroy has already used up his time, has gotten us nowhere, and we cannot wait 3-4 years more with Conroy coaching to develop a team that can play at the NCAA tournament level. I feel like next season's team will be similar to football. We will have the talent to win games, but we just wont do it.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

We heard this over the weekend. Here they are moving out Sunday.
Roommates Payton and Josh.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Oh good grief. Is that 13 players in 3 years?
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Per Guerry Smith at the Wave Report, Conroy has lost 16 of his 25 scholarship recruits before they completed their eligibility (he did a great analysis at the Wave Report).

Losing 16 of 25 is hardly believable and not something that any serious athletic department would stand for. Tulane sadly is not a serious athletic department and per my earlier prediction, Ed Conroy will waste close to a decade of Tulane basketball history collecting paychecks.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I'm not sure why Payton has moved on but I do know that many of the better players have their AAU coaches shop their talent around at the end of each season. These AAU coaches will get paid by either the player's parent or donors of the school they land at. It's a big business. Like it or not it's now how the game is played today. However you won't see Tulane playing this type of game because of what happened under Ned Fowler in the mid 1980's. So we are always going to be the school being raided vs the raider.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's sheer folly to write this off as being ok b/c it's the world we live in. It's b/c of EC and no other school is bleeding contributing players like his team is.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:It's sheer folly to write this off as being ok b/c it's the world we live in. It's b/c of EC and no other school is bleeding contributing players like his team is.
I'm telling you Tulane insist's on playing by the rules in a world that chooses to do otherwise.
Just look at the bowling team running off our strenght coach. Open your eyes. Toledo paying for a parking spot and microwave. This stuff only happens at Tulane under an administration that doesn't care to take the necessary steps to win.
We may get lucky once every 10 or 15 years and happen upon a coach that can overcome this nonsense and win. Then that coach will leave for a better opportunity. The cycle repeats itself and has for the last 50 years give or take a few in there. I'm not defending any coach because when they take a job here they know what they are facing. It's just a shame that we as fans continue to get the short end of the stick.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:It's sheer folly to write this off as being ok b/c it's the world we live in. It's b/c of EC and no other school is bleeding contributing players like his team is.
I'm telling you Tulane insist's on playing by the rules in a world that chooses to do otherwise.
Just look at the bowling team running off our strenght coach. Open your eyes. Toledo paying for a parking spot and microwave. This stuff only happens at Tulane under an administration that doesn't care to take the necessary steps to win.
We may get lucky once every 10 or 15 years and happen upon a coach that can overcome this nonsense and win. Then that coach will leave for a better opportunity. The cycle repeats itself and has for the last 50 years give or take a few in there. I'm not defending any coach because when they take a job here they know what they are facing. It's just a shame that we as fans continue to get the short end of the stick.
Not the case here. The players have spoken loudly that EC and his system are a huge turnoff.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Not the case here. The players have spoken loudly that EC and his system are a huge turnoff.
I've said what I know to be facts. It's important to shed light on the dirt of what goes on behind the scenes. Of course losing all these players over the years hurts. Do you really think any coach would keep his or get job if the administration thought that it was that coaches fault for this mass exodus? Like I said we play by the rules that nobody else does. I really don't feel like arguing this any longer. I can only hope we can replace Henson with a better talent like Jenard Jarreau type. You don't know and that's you opinion since you can only speculate. I am moving on.
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

Exactly, this is getting out of control! We have to get rid of this coach. My goodness.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Podcast.
Henson looking for a better opportunity to play,
wanted a bigger role on the team. Straight from his mouth. Good questions by Tammy here:
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ry_package

"Lone Wolf" comments.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... ry_package
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

Everyone seems to be able to find all these articles, but very few comment on them. We should be making a point by posting in every one of these articles about the lack of accountability on the part of the BOA. I've been trying to do it, but I don't see anyone else going out on a limb and saying anything. We should see a half dozen or more comments targeting SC/RD, and the BOA on every post. Guys like JJ, who talk a good game, why aren't you posting? Same with jonathan. You've got time to post 3000 comments here. Post a few on the nola articles and let others see as well.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote:Everyone seems to be able to find all these articles, but very few comment on them. We should be making a point by posting in every one of these articles about the lack of accountability on the part of the BOA. I've been trying to do it, but I don't see anyone else going out on a limb and saying anything. We should see a half dozen or more comments targeting SC/RD, and the BOA on every post. Guys like JJ, who talk a good game, why aren't you posting? Same with jonathan. You've got time to post 3000 comments here. Post a few on the nola articles and let others see as well.
+1
Listening to Henson's comments he said stability was somewhat of a factor in his decision. He had praise for the coaches and Tulane staff. When the graduation rates fall Tulane administration will finally do something about it. Until that happens in their mind it's really not a problem.
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Do you really think any coach would keep his or get job if the administration thought that it was that coaches fault for this mass exodus?
Well, the administration lets an AD who has a sordid record in football and basketball keep his job; this is an AD who let a 5 win volleyball coach keep his job; this is an AD who extended Toledo because he planted flowers; this is an AD who, as you said, let the bowling team run-off the strength coach so, yea, it could very well be that they let him keep his job even though it's his fault.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
tpstulane wrote: Do you really think any coach would keep his or get job if the administration thought that it was that coaches fault for this mass exodus?
Well, the administration lets an AD who has a sordid record in football and basketball keep his job; this is an AD who let a 5 win volleyball coach keep his job; this is an AD who extended Toledo because he planted flowers; this is an AD who, as you said, let the bowling team run-off the strength coach so, yea, it could very well be that they let him keep his job even though it's his fault.
That's the point. It goes above the coaches and AD. The administration knows the lack of support, attention and accountability it has towards athletics and has known this for years. Remember our AD told us sometime ago "we here at Tulane don't judge by wins and losses". Only a scandal or crisis will cause any changes at Tulane. (Strenght coach example)
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Serious question, if it's about clearing out space, why does Ryan Smith (no offense to him) remain on the roster? He average 2.4 point and 2.1 rebounds for the season. In his last ten games he average 7 minutes, 1 point and 0.9 rebounds???? I know we don;t have many bigs but how valuable is a big who can't play at this level?

So we have the strength and conditioning mess, a bad lawsuit and another round of mass transfers and nothing from our AD to the fans.
MicMan
Swell

What a complete joke! I am sure coach Pierce is already plotting his escape from the asylum. But hey everybody, keep giving money to Tulane! As long as you do, little will change!
JerseyWave
Riptide

No leadership, no plan, no accountability. Tulane Athletics is a disaster!
oliveandblue
Surge

I liked Henson as a player. He injected some decent quality off of the bench.

This coach is poisonous. I understand that he's upgrading the roster, but it almost sounds like he's "pushing" people out of the door with his demeanor.

If I'm the AD, I tell him that he has to generate an NIT berth this coming season or he's out.

He has a new IPF, a renovated gym, a decent recruiting staff, a decent conference, and good academics to sell. There is no reason why so many kids would want to leave - unless Conroy's the problem.