Fitts on Athletics

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:Good letter, D. I would send to the T-P, Tulanian, anyone who might publish it.

The Advocate too.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:I think letters bring awareness. But only money will bring change. Unless you are a large donor Tulane will not care.
Dude, we're HEMORRHAGING money in the athletics department. They wouldn't ignore a building on fire just because those delivering the message were not large donors.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:I think letters bring awareness. But only money will bring change. Unless you are a large donor Tulane will not care.
As you know we were part of personal demonstrations that saved Tulane athletics from the chopping block in 2003. The same must be done now. The letter needs to be delivered personally by us as a group in a very public way. We need to alert the media to it. We should all attend wearing shirts that say on one side Save The Wave and the other saying Fire Dickson.
I salute your intent to step up efforts. Thank you.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Best to send your letters to Mr Douglas Hertz, Mr Robert Devlin and Mr E. Richard Yulman and Mrs Tom Benson, Tom has too much on his plate at this time. Emphasize when they made their large donation to Tulane athletics they made it a point that winning would soon follow. It hasn't. More than likely Fitts will do like Cowen did and forward any letter to the board.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Great idea. Can you supply us with their email addresses?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:Great idea. Can you supply us with their email addresses?
Address it to this person and she will forward on to the addressee.
http://tulane.edu/administration/board.cfm

Cyndy M. English,
Tulane Board Office
317B Gibson Hall
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118
tel 504-865-5738
fax 504-865-5865
[email protected]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Thanks to WinWave and DCT for keeping this message at the forefront.

BTW, anyone who thinks that flying a banner with a FIRE DICKSON message at homecoming didn't get everyone's attention, you are deluding yourself. Even if it served only to anger and embarrass our intrepid AD, it was worth the trivial investment.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:Thanks to WinWave and DCT for keeping this message at the forefront.

BTW, anyone who thinks that flying a banner with a FIRE DICKSON message at homecoming didn't get everyone's attention, you are deluding yourself. Even if it served only to anger and embarrass our intrepid AD, it was worth the trivial investment.
It absolutely did. But it lasted 5 minutes and was visible to ~25K people. I concerted social media campaign that targets alumni nationally and persists indefinitely is required.

These "letters" are great content for that outlet.
MicMan
Swell

GreenLantern wrote:Thanks to WinWave and DCT for keeping this message at the forefront.

It sure got everyone's attention -- including the people who asked, "Who's Dickson?"

Try harder.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The media picked up on the banner so it got more attention than just in the stadium.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

Did Fitts answer your email? He,Dickson and Cowen never answer mine. Chet Gladchuk and Kevin White two great Tulane ADs now at the prestigious Naval Academy and Duke as ADs answered me the same day and took me to lunch Uptown to discuss my concerns.
GreenLantern
Riptide

President Fitts convened two task forces with a goal of plotting a path toward improving the Tulane brand in higher education as well as enriching the student undergraduate experience. Tradition building was given much discussion.

My take (which may be in opposition to yours):

The positive: President Fitts seems genuinely committed to leaving Tulane as a much better learning institution than he found it. This collaborative effort appears to have been well received by board members, academic deans and students.

The disappointment: In the 'Report of the President's Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience', not once was the word 'athletics' mentioned. It seems to me that in 2015 more than ever before, the undergrad student body attaches great importance to college athletics. The success or failure of the college athletic experience does much to enhance or detract from any school's brand.

Here's a link to the task force findings:
nawlinspete
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote:President Fitts convened two task forces with a goal of plotting a path toward improving the Tulane brand in higher education as well as enriching the student undergraduate experience. Tradition building was given much discussion.

My take (which may be in opposition to yours):

The positive: President Fitts seems genuinely committed to leaving Tulane as a much better learning institution than he found it. This collaborative effort appears to have been well received by board members, academic deans and students.

The disappointment: In the 'Report of the President's Task Force on the Undergraduate Experience', not once was the word 'athletics' mentioned. It seems to me that in 2015 more than ever before, the undergrad student body attaches great importance to college athletics. The success or failure of the college athletic experience does much to enhance or detract from any school's brand.

Here's a link to the task force findings:
Fitts undoubtedly used The Scott Cowen Institute For The Study Of And Perpetuation Of Stupidity whose Vice Chair is Dickson.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Jonathan
Riptide

In my opinion Tulane President Fitts is another Scott Cowen which is a disaster for Tulane athletics.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As per the other site:

Fitts is not making a decision any time soon. He said on Friday at the Town Hall Forum that he was taking a wait and see approach about football.

He has bought their excuse that Tulane needs more time because the AAC is a much tougher conference and the excuse that we unfairly played so many ranked teams this season.

He will also buy the excuse to blame it on the rain.

Frightening.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Fitts speaks? Thats rare but now its pretty clear, if it wasn't before, he was hired as Cowen's milktoast.
Mr Dynamic he is not!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

If CJ returns Tulane football is may never be able to recover. The overall message that will send will be devastating. I personally will be 110% done.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If CJ is retained.... Steve and TPS will have lot's of time on their hands, because this forum will be blank
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
kingcole
Low Tide

Just buying time till the new AD is in place then it falls in his lap. With the mess football is in it would be unfair to the kids to start things now.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

kingcole wrote:Just buying time till the new AD is in place then it falls in his lap. With the mess football is in it would be unfair to the kids to start things now.
what is unfair about it ? it is not like they are going to a bowl game ... Unless the new AD is hired within two weeks CJ will be retained..This lies at the feet of one Rick Dickson and he should be the one to clean it up, or at least begin the process...if not RD needs to be fired NOW...and while I am expressing my views on mess' ..one Scott Cowen should never be allowed back on campus and anything with his name attached should be changed, torn down or imploded..SC and his sidekick Marge are nothing than money grabbing gobs of krap and should be exterminated or flushed ASAP
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
COChip
Low Tide

AAC leadership should fire a shot over Fitts' head and let him know either Tulane makes a serious attempt to get football in order (like firing this unqualified bum of a head coach and spending the $$ to hire a legitimate one) or risk being tossed out in a few years.
Jonathan
Riptide

In my opinion Fitts is another Cowen. Over forty days, we should have a great young energetic AD in place now and fire CJ.
LSU-MD
Low Tide

What do yall expect the man to say at a public forum? No president, yet alone an ivy league lawyer, would publicly trash someone who is still employed by the university.
JTLiuzza
Swell

winwave wrote:As per the other site:

Fitts is not making a decision any time soon. He said on Friday at the Town Hall Forum that he was taking a wait and see approach about football.

He has bought their excuse that Tulane needs more time because the AAC is a much tougher conference and the excuse that we unfairly played so many ranked teams this season.

Frightening.
Are his remarks available anywhere?
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JTLiuzza wrote:
winwave wrote:As per the other site:

Frightening.
Are his remarks available anywhere?
here ya go
Michael Fitts ‏@TUFitts Nov 6
This year our team has played six top 25 football teams...we have had some really tough competition so far this year

Michael Fitts ‏@TUFitts Nov 6
We've moved up conferences and the quality of the competition is now much higher