AAC's Aresco talking present, future.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
cajunfanatico
Swell

"SMU was penalized by the [NCAA] committee last year. This year, they played Gonzaga, Indiana, Michigan, Arkansas — they played a lot of good teams. We got better as the season went on. There were some writers who were talking about a 'one-bid league.' Now it looks like we have four legit teams, a couple securely in, a couple on the bubble."

We're looking to upgrade our basketball schedules, our RPI, and we're looking for some potential challenges, league challenges like the old ACC-Big East. We're geographically diverse, so it's a little tougher to put that kind of thing together, but [associate commissioner for men's basketball] Dan Leibovitz does a great job, and he's working on that now. He's working really hard on RPI, making sure schools schedule properly. We're telling the schools coming in, 'You're upgrading. You're going to be going into a league that's tough. You've got to play a tougher nonconference schedule. It helps everybody.' We want our conference wins to count just as much as the nonconference wins.

"A lot of it is staying the course. Building facilities — Houston has a $25 million practice facility going up............

http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/ar ... -83051349/

ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I hold out the smallest of hopes that Aresco convinces our AD/president to fire EC after the recent NCAA tourney mess. At least, this will force them to schedule better......I think.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:I hold out the smallest of hopes that Aresco convinces our AD/president to fire EC after the recent NCAA tourney mess. At least, this will force them to schedule better......I think.
You still have to win. That's the problem.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:I hold out the smallest of hopes that Aresco convinces our AD/president to fire EC after the recent NCAA tourney mess. At least, this will force them to schedule better......I think.
You still have to win. That's the problem.
The formula is 25% w/l, 50% opponent w/l, 25% opponents opponents w/l. TMK.

We play 0.750 ball OOC conference and always end up with 200+ RPI, can;t get much worse.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

I hold out the smallest of hopes that Aresco convinces our AD/president to fire EC after the recent NCAA tourney mess. At least, this will force them to schedule better......I think.

And you want RD to make the hire? :lol: :lol: :lol:
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:I hold out the smallest of hopes that Aresco convinces our AD/president to fire EC after the recent NCAA tourney mess. At least, this will force them to schedule better......I think.

Can't get worse than EC and I don;t see RD going anywhere anytime soon. They made the right hire in baseball and the job is much better than fiver years ago.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aresco probably won't micromanage any particular program, but he continues to set the bar higher and higher. Eventually Tulane will have to replace it's current dysfunctional admin, or it won't be able to keep up. Afterall, the AAC predecessor conference already has a history of jettisoning underperforming schools.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote:
Aresco probably won't micromanage any particular program, but he continues to set the bar higher and higher. Eventually Tulane will have to replace it's current dysfunctional admin, or it won't be able to keep up. Afterall, the AAC predecessor conference already has a history of jettisoning underperforming schools.
Under current management, Tulane is headed for the Southland Conference.... CUSA would not want this bunch back...come to think about it, why would the Southland want them

If I had stock in a company that was run this poorly, I would be protesting on Wall Street
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:I hold out the smallest of hopes that Aresco convinces our AD/president to fire EC after the recent NCAA tourney mess. At least, this will force them to schedule better......I think.

Can't get worse than EC and I don;t see RD going anywhere anytime soon. They made the right hire in baseball and the job is much better than fiver years ago.
Exactly this! It looks like RD could be here forever so decisions can't be avoided. It's been said that others helped influence a good hire in baseball. The same needs to happen in basketball.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Eventually Tulane will have to replace it's current dysfunctional admin, or it won't be able to stay in business.
FIFY
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

winwave wrote:
mbawavefan12 wrote:

Exactly this! It looks like RD could be here forever so decisions can't be avoided. It's been said that others helped influence a good hire in baseball. The same needs to happen in basketball.
Nothing lasts forever, including institutions of higher education. That the alumni and Board are "allowing" Rick Dickson to remain forever will hasten the end of this particular institution.

Even if Dickson were able to 1) identify a good coaching prospect and 2) convince him to work at Tulane (both of which would fly in the face of 15 years of results) then the dysfunctional and diseased culture of losing will certainly overcome that coach and the program will not be successful regardless.
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

Several items:

1. The early returns on the Pierce hire look great, but we're only 20 games in. Too early to tell IMO.

2. In the current landscape of college athletics, football and men's basketball are FAR, FAR more important than baseball. Even if baseball returns to elite status (far from a sure thing), football and men's basketball simply have to be fixed. After 15 years, RD has been clearly incapable of fixing either.

3. I agree completely that RD isn't going anywhere, which is why I'm not optimistic about the two sports that matter.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:Several items:

1. The early returns on the Pierce hire look great, but we're only 20 games in. Too early to tell IMO.

2. In the current landscape of college athletics, football and men's basketball are FAR, FAR more important than baseball. Even if baseball returns to elite status (far from a sure thing), football and men's basketball simply have to be fixed. After 15 years, RD has been clearly incapable of fixing either.

3. I agree completely that RD isn't going anywhere, which is why I'm not optimistic about the two sports that matter.
Pierce was a solid hire. But baseball and basketball are on different planets. The baseball job pays well, has top facilities and has history of great success and commitment from this administration. Basketball has been on the back burner until recently. It finally got a nice practice facility but not much else there other than a badly needed arena upgrade that many call a waste of money. EC is the either the lowest paid coach in the AAC or near the bottom. Tulane needs to make a decision financially when it comes to it's head basketball coach's position. Just look at the talent we had under Perry and compare it to now. We are not getting the talent to come here like we need. I'm anxious to see what Coach Pierce can bring in here for baseball. When RJ has his most success we were getting top 10 recruiting classes. We haven't done that in any sport since those early to mid 2000's.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I don't disagree but you can't just give up and not fire a guy because you are afraid of your AD. Now that the job is somewhat desirable, the candidate list is obvious and much much better then a guy who went 49-76 at The Citadel.
VerdeGeaux
Low Tide

Just my opinion, but you cant compare the baseball turn around by Coach Pierce and expect that to happen in football and basketball in 1 year. There is a huge difference.....our baseball team has top 25 talent. All the kids playing were ranked by multiple publications as a top 25 class.

IMO as Last years record does not reflect the talent of this club, as the reason being is we had 7-8 freshmen starting and then the coach just quit on them about the 12th game of the year....they didn't have a coach, what do you think our record was going to be, coach quit on them, the players then quit on the coach.

When was the last time our basketball team or football team had a top 25 class for a coach to work with. My point is, it takes talent to win and if you don't have top 25 talent or close to it to work with, its not going to be a quick turn around in 1 year. Its about the Jimmys and the Joes not the X's and the O's.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree w/most of what you say there but it still doesn't change the fact that decisions just can't be kicked down the road. The baseball hire is used as an example not b/c baseball is as important as football and basketball in college but b/c it showed that some money people fully realize he can't make good hires and intervened. We need the same to happen here.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:

I agree w/most of what you say there but it still doesn't change the fact that decisions just can't be kicked down the road. The baseball hire is used as an example not b/c baseball is as important as football and basketball in college but b/c it showed that some money people fully realize he can't make good hires and intervened. We need the same to happen here.
This.

No one is claiming that there will be a massive turnaround, just that at least RD made one decent hire and we can just give up out of fear of our shat AD.....otherwise we would be in year 9 of the Bob Toledo era. CJ may be a bust (I hope not obviously) but at least has provided some hope and excitement.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:Tulane needs to make a decision financially when it comes to it's head basketball coach's position.
But this is bat$hit crazy. They spent $25M on a practice facility, $10M on renovating the arena and then spent $80M on a football stadium. If they failed to "make a decision financially" as to whether they were willing to pay market rates for the personnel required to successfully run the programs that these facilities housed then they are even dumber than I thought.

That isn't an excusable error. If they do not intend to pay a coach to make the facilites pay off that's a NINE FIGURE MISTAKE and people responsible absolutely deserve to lose their careers and those who green lit (and continue to green light) these decisions need to be held legally accountable.
Wavetime
Swell

Maybe there will be some push back.

http://www.examiner.com/article/college ... igged-game
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wavetime wrote:Maybe there will be some push back.

Good read.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Only if some powerful congressman gets pissed his school was snubbed.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

jonathanjoseph wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Tulane needs to make a decision financially when it comes to it's head basketball coach's position.
But this is bat$hit crazy. They spent $25M on a practice facility, $10M on renovating the arena and then spent $80M on a football stadium. If they failed to "make a decision financially" as to whether they were willing to pay market rates for the personnel required to successfully run the programs that these facilities housed then they are even dumber than I thought.

That isn't an excusable error. If they do not intend to pay a coach to make the facilites pay off that's a NINE FIGURE MISTAKE and people responsible absolutely deserve to lose their careers and those who green lit (and continue to green light) these decisions need to be held legally accountable.
Just for clarity I believe the amount spent on the basketball practice facility was $12-$13 million. The rest is dead on.
JerseyWave
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote:

Good read.
Here's one way to level the playing field.....pass a rule that schools have to schedule home and away games against the same opponent. If you want Nicholls State playing at your place, then you have to play them at their place. One for one regardless of your conference. Make this the rule! No more paid mercenaries. No more rent-a-wins. In the pros you play equal number of home games and away games. Make it the same in college.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Looks like Devlin for awhile now....No Smoothie King Arena
Despite the small turnout, Dickson said he expects conference commissioner Mike Aresco to lift the interim status given to Devlin Fieldhouse and allow Tulane to play all of its games there next year, rather than forcing it to play a percentage of its home dates at the Smoothie King Center.

“I think Devlin can be a great advantage,” Conroy said. “With the investment that we’ve made in it and continue to make in it, I think it can be a great gameday venue.”
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Rick Dickson has been to long at Tulane. An average span at a university for a president and AD is about ten years. Get rid of him and bring in a young Chet Gladchuk or Kevin White to move our basketball and football programs to top 25 status. He also must be a great fund raiser. Conroy is the biggest loser after five years on the Tulane athletic staff unless he plays Loyola or Southern as he always sets up pre conference.