Tulane has a 15m to 20m a year deficit and Cowen covered up

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
RobertM320
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Main stream media finally has the story, See: The Advocate http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/ne ... or-ways-to

And, how could Cowen without great opposition have paid himself $900,000 a year and $150,000 a year to his wife if people had known of this?
:?:
Huron is expected to come up with 100 or more cost-cutting proposals for Tulane officials to consider.
Let's hope this isn't another UAB-type setup.
Well, here's my response to the article. If jj is right, this probably means my business will never get another job from Tulane.

"I can cut $900K from the books right now. Fire the guy that put us in this mess, Scott Cowen. Then, take a good look at all those members of the Board of Administrators that allowed this to happen and didn't say a thing. They had an obligation to oversee the President, and they failed. They should all be replaced."

JDTulane
Riptide

cajunfanatico wrote:We've become an anti-Cowen Borg. You should assimilate.

Never. I choose to make my identity Pro-Tulane. Not anti-Cowen. He can take a hike for all I care.

Robert don't hurt the university because of one schmuck and his brood of yessirs.
cajunfanatico
Swell

JDTulane wrote:

Never. I choose to make my identity Pro-Tulane. Not anti-Cowen. He can take a hike for all I care.
Anti-Cowen is pro-Tulane.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

Cowen returns to Case Western Reserve as trustee. http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... as-trustee

Time for return of Cowen to Ohio to be made permanent.
Bigschtick
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Main stream media finally has the story, See: The Advocate http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/ne ... or-ways-to

And, how could Cowen without great opposition have paid himself $900,000 a year and $150,000 a year to his wife if people had known of this?
:?:
Huron is expected to come up with 100 or more cost-cutting proposals for Tulane officials to consider.
Let's hope this isn't another UAB-type setup.
Well, here's my response to the article. If jj is right, this probably means my business will never get another job from Tulane.

"I can cut $900K from the books right now. Fire the guy that put us in this mess, Scott Cowen. Then, take a good look at all those members of the Board of Administrators that allowed this to happen and didn't say a thing. They had an obligation to oversee the President, and they failed. They should all be replaced."

Thank you Robert for posting that and using your facebook page!!!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:
You're right. I don't appreciate your presence. You've become jj #2 and it's annoying. He's a spam bot that appears to have multiplied.
Since you keep trying to rope me into your posts, I feel compelled to point out that you seem to be equating everyone who doesn't agree with you to a "spam bot". That doesn't mean cf and I are spammers, it just means that you are a fool.

cajunfanatico is one of the most thoughtful posters on this forum. God forbid anyone take an interest in the health of Louisiana's most important academic institution.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

JDTulane wrote:

Robert don't hurt the university because of one schmuck and his brood of yessirs.
You are a moron of epic proportions. You seem to believe that "one schmuck", or even a handful of schmucks on a lightly trafficked internet forum can damage the university moreso than a corrupt President and Board, with a mountain of evidence piling up against them.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

cajunfanatico wrote:
JDTulane wrote:

Anti-Cowen is pro-Tulane.
You'd think that would be obvious.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Anyone want to bet that one of Huron's cost cutting suggestions will have to do with the $25M/year budgeted for libraries?

Just saying...
GreenLantern
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:Well, here's my response to the article. If jj is right, this probably means my business will never get another job from Tulane.

I had the privilege to be the first to LIKE your comment on the Advocate site. It would be so very simple to eliminate 5% of that deficit: fire Cowen for malfeasance and end the ridiculous $1mil sabbatical.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:Well, here's my response to the article. If jj is right, this probably means my business will never get another job from Tulane.

I had the privilege to be the first to LIKE your comment on the Advocate site. It would be so very simple to eliminate 5% of that deficit: fire Cowen for malfeasance and end the ridiculous $1mil sabbatical.
I got news for everyone. Once Tulane's literal survival is put into question over this budget issue, all of a sudden bringing forth lawsuits against the Board for breach of fiduciary duty will start to look really attractive. FYI Board members will be PERSONALLY LIABLE for damages, so we can make up the financial shortcomings out of the pockets of those ultimately responsible for this mess, the Board.
Wave755
Tsunami

Annual Tulane operating budget is 850 million(by far the largest for any university in the State) http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... tulan.html

With an annual operating budget of $850,000,000 a deficit of $15,000,000 to $20,000,000 equates to about 1.7% to 2.3% of the overall Tulane operating moneys.

For Michael Fitts a combination of cuts and new revenue sources must be found.:idea:
Last edited by Wave755 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote:Annual Tulane operating budget is 850 million(by far the largest in the State) http://www.nola.com/education/index.ssf ... tulan.html

With an annual operating budget of $850,000,000 a deficit of $15,000,000 to $20,000,000 equates to about 1.7% to 2.3% of the overall Tulane operating budget.

For Michael Fitts a combination of cuts and revenue increases must be found.:idea:
Cut Cowen's salary
Run the Library system at a cost of $2M/year
Cut the Mississippi campuses
ADD $5M/YEAR TO ATHLETICS BUDGET

Add up the above, including ADDING $5M TO THE ATHLETICS BUDGET, saves the university in excess of $20M/year.
Jonathan
Riptide

Please get the two U La La supporters that post every day on our board off our board. No Tulane supporters allowed on U La La Southwestern Louisiana board Steve!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote:Cowen returns to Case Western Reserve as trustee. http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... as-trustee

Time for return of Cowen to Ohio to be made permanent.
This guy is a marketing magician.
CN Hide & Seek Team
Low Tide

Tulane is just going raise enrollment by 500 students paying full freight. 500X$40,000= $20mm/yr

Tulane's admin are liberals, and they arent going to fire any of the garbage-major professors
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:Tulane is just going raise enrollment by 500 students paying full freight. 500X$40,000= $20mm/yr

Tulane's admin are liberals, and they arent going to fire any of the garbage-major professors
False. The market for people paying $250K for a liberal arts degree is falling off a cliff. The idea that we are going dramatically raise the number of full freight students to solve the problem is almost as dumb as the Tulane Model for athletics.
Jonathan
Riptide

CanjunF get out of our Tulane life on this board please and back to your first and only love the University of Louisiana at Lafayette ULL the sister and companion school of the a University of Louisiana at Monroe ULM. Thanks
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

jonathanjoseph wrote:
CN Hide & Seek Team wrote:Tulane is just going raise enrollment by 500 students paying full freight. 500X$40,000= $20mm/yr

False. The market for people paying $250K for a liberal arts degree is falling off a cliff. The idea that we are going dramatically raise the number of full freight students to solve the problem is almost as dumb as the Tulane Model for athletics.
Very few pay the full cost. A big reason why we are in this hole is that TU had to up it's aid packages to attract students.
Wave755
Tsunami

Marjorie Cowen, Scott Cowen's wife, was job titled, "Senior Advisor for Institutional Advancement." :?:
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

I noticed that, too. Mrs. Cowen is "earning" $112K in her current position, which I'm sure benefits the university greatly. :roll:

So the Cowens are receiving $1.1MM/year (while on vacation, mind you) as the school runs a $20MM deficit. It's truly mind-boggling.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Wave755 wrote:Marjorie Cowen, Scott Cowen's wife, was job titled, "Senior Advisor for Institutional Advancement." :?:
I think Obama's squeeze had a similar job at a hospital in Chicago......$165,000/year or so.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
Wave755
Tsunami

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:I noticed that, too. Mrs. Cowen is "earning" $112K in her current position, which I'm sure benefits the university greatly. :roll:

So the Cowens are receiving $1.1MM/year (while on vacation, mind you) as the school runs a $20MM deficit. It's truly mind-boggling.
"Senior Advisor for Institutional Advancement," great work for $112,000.00 a year if you can get it (and, rumor has it Marjorie Cowen did very little more than go to lunch with "Scott.")! :lol:
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

So basically every measurable metric (academic rankings, financials, athletic W/L and donations, etc) going down and yet everyone felt comfortable approving an increase in Cowen's compensation.

Can't find much that would more clearly illustrate the problem at the Board level than that.
Wave755
Tsunami

Scott Cowen earned $1,045,000 in 2012-13, Curtis Johnson $867,000. See: http://www.tulanehullabaloo.com/news/ar ... 9855a.html
for Tulane's "top earners."

Apparently even with Tulane running a 20 million dollar a year deficit Cowen still gave himself a hefty 11% pay raise for 2012-13?