duh schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

If we play like last year and no reason at this point to be optimistic, I am thinking
3-4 wins and that will be enough to get Johnson an extension with the Price brothers, buddies of Dickson.
Then and once again, the broadcasters can make fun of the coaching like some did last season.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

My initial thoughts:

1. The Duke game could be a 2 or 3 game swing for Tulane. If TU can pull an upset, I can find 7 wins.
2. The November games are all extremely winnable.
3. If the offense is just marginally improved, TU can finish well within the middle of the treadmill in the AAC.
4. My realistic projection at this time is 5-7.
IM42lane
Swell

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:My initial thoughts:

1. The Duke game could be a 2 or 3 game swing for Tulane. If TU can pull an upset, I can find 7 wins.
2. The November games are all extremely winnable.
3. If the offense is just marginally improved, TU can finish well within the middle of the treadmill in the AAC.
4. My realistic projection at this time is 5-7.
THE KEY is what they do in October. If they win 2 or more of those 5 league games, then they have a chance of a winning season within the conference. Those last three league games in Novmber are all WINNABLE. How about a 5-3 league record and 6-6 overall? That is VERY DOABLE!!!
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

IM42lane wrote: THE KEY is what they do in October. If they win 2 or more of those 5 league games, then they have a chance of a winning season within the conference. Those last three league games in Novmber are all WINNABLE. How about a 5-3 league record and 6-6 overall? That is VERY DOABLE!!!
Pete, IF we're good enough to go 5-3 in conference, we better go 7-5. Army and Maine are no better than anyone else on the schedule. That's a big IF, however. To do this we'll need vastly improved offensive PRODUCTION (score points) and much better special teams. We'll also need to find a way to go 2-2 in our first four AAC games. That's doable, but far from certain with UCF, @Temple, Houston and @Navy making up those 4 games.

Also, looking at the schedule, UConn will more than likely be the Homecoming game. If RD makes HC any other game, I'll donate for this years' banner fly by. 6-6 at a minimum should save CJ's job. Remember two short years ago how many on this forum were saying how great 2015 (CJ's first class as Seniors) would be. Some even dreamed that we could give LSU a scare in the discussed but not scheduled game to open the season in the Dome.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Robert1969
Riptide

The following games are winnable either because we actually did win last year, or were in striking distance:

UCF
Temple
Houston
UConn
Tulsa

Teams we could/should beat that we didn't play last year:

Maine
SMU

That's a possible seven

But wait -- there's more!
Army -- only won four games last year.

And a possible upset : Navy

So, those are nine winnable games.

What I realistically think: most likely five wins, but seven or even eight is not unrealistic.

Of course, it all comes down to offense. And that is frickin HUGE!
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

That's my thinking as well. I think Tulane will be a double digit underdog in only 1 or 2 games (Ga. Tech for certain). The safe pick is 5-7, so I'll still with that mark. But an upset win against Duke or UCF could change everything.
JerseyWave
Riptide

You can't win any games if the offense can't find the end zone. Tulane scored ONE touchdown in the last three games. Same quarterback, same coaches, same playbook are returning for 2015.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:The following games are winnable either because we actually did win last year, or were in striking distance:

UCF
Temple
Houston
UConn
Tulsa

Maine
SMU

That's a possible seven

What I realistically think: most likely five wins, but seven or even eight is not unrealistic.

We're in year 5 of the program and beating a service academy would be an upset? Ok.

Is 5 wins where we should be under CJ? We really need to see 6 or 7 wins.
Robert1969
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
Robert1969 wrote:The following games are winnable either because we actually did win last year, or were in striking distance:

UCF
Temple
Houston
UConn
Tulsa

Maine
SMU

That's a possible seven

We're in year 5 of the program and beating a service academy would be an upset? Ok.

I wasn't discussing how many we NEED to win. I was predicting how many I think we COULD win. Navy won a bowl game last year. Also, this would be our fourth season under CJ:

1. 2012

2. 2013

3. 2014

4. 2015
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Robert1969 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:

UCF
Temple
Houston
UConn
Tulsa

Maine
SMU

That's a possible seven

I wasn't discussing how many we NEED to win. I was predicting how many I think we COULD win. Navy won a bowl game last year. Also, this would be our fourth season under CJ:

1. 2012

2. 2013

3. 2014

4. 2015
I know. I'm asking the rhetorical question. Also, my bad on the year count. Still think a bowl game is a must with this schedule and CJ's doubling down on his internal staff/system.
IM42lane
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
IM42lane wrote: THE KEY is what they do in October. If they win 2 or more of those 5 league games, then they have a chance of a winning season within the conference. Those last three league games in Novmber are all WINNABLE. How about a 5-3 league record and 6-6 overall? That is VERY DOABLE!!!
Pete, IF we're good enough to go 5-3 in conference, we better go 7-5. Army and Maine are no better than anyone else on the schedule. That's a big IF, however. To do this we'll need vastly improved offensive PRODUCTION (score points) and much better special teams. We'll also need to find a way to go 2-2 in our first four AAC games. That's doable, but far from certain with UCF, @Temple, Houston and @Navy making up those 4 games.

Also, looking at the schedule, UConn will more than likely be the Homecoming game. If RD makes HC any other game, I'll donate for this years' banner fly by. 6-6 at a minimum should save CJ's job. Remember two short years ago how many on this forum were saying how great 2015 (CJ's first class as Seniors) would be. Some even dreamed that we could give LSU a scare in the discussed but not scheduled game to open the season in the Dome.
I definitely see your points.

My thinking tells me that because the Army & Navy games are both on the ROAD, it will be extremely difficult to win either one of those, and Navy is probably a definite loss. Army is winnable, but they are going to West Point in November for that one when the weather is usually horrible up there, and works in Army's favor.

Well, I have stated that it will turn out 6-6 overall & 5-3 in the league. I might as well run with that. October has to be at least a 2-win month, and it would be much better if Tulane could definitely get 3.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
ajcalhoun
Swell

UCF
Temple
Houston
UConn
Tulsa

Maine
SMU

That's a possible seven

I'm with you. We will find out a lot about CJ this year.
God Bless Everyone!
Eaglewave
Swell

If CJ wins less than 6 games this season, then he is officially not the man for this job. There is no reason for a man in year 4 not to be capable win games in this conference. I will feel so bad for kids like Darion Monroe if we don't go to a bowl game.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote:You can't win any games if the offense can't find the end zone. Tulane scored ONE touchdown in the last three games. Same quarterback, same coaches, same playbook are returning for 2015.
I agree our offense was pathetic but those last three games saw ALL of our skill positions being manned by either RS or True Frosh.

Excuses, Excuses. I know.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

I hope I'm wrong, but unless there are big improvements made on offense and special teams, there is a strong chance we'll be 1-7 headed into the last four marginally weaker teams. Would've been much better if we could have played UCONN, SMU, and Tulsa in the opening couple of months of the season to build some confidence. Again, I hope I'm proved wrong!!!
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
Jonathan
Riptide

Based on the limited talent we have and poor coaching,the Prices, I expect three to four wins next year another losing season with no bowl appearance. Same old! Same old! How much more of this can we take? The TAF donations,attendance and season tickets will dry up next year as we have no hope with Dickson,low quality of players and current coaching staff. Yulman sadly will look like the Superdome of old. Who wants to torture themselves to sit through these losses? I thought this years recruiting class was a disaster. We came in rated by 247 Sports lower than U La La and La Tech.
OGSB
Swell

JerseyWave wrote:You can't win any games if the offense can't find the end zone. Tulane scored ONE touchdown in the last three games. Same quarterback, same coaches, same playbook are returning for 2015.
I wish I could argue with you.
Livin' rent free
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote: We're in year 5 of the program and beating a service academy would be an upset? Ok.

We're three months into YEAR 4 of the CJ era, but don't let facts get in the way of making your point. I agree that we should have at minimum 6 wins next year or the search for a new HC should begin. But, at the same time, it's been a LONG LONG time since we've put a better team on the field than Navy.

Frankly, if the game were tomorrow, and the point spread was 15.5, I'd take Navy and lay the points.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Three to four wins next year in football. Another losing season and no bowl game. Fire Dickson and CJ and staff. You are paying this loser over a million dollars a year? Crazy!
wave97
Swell

Jonathan wrote:Three to four wins next year in football. Another losing season and no bowl game. Fire Dickson and CJ and staff. You are paying this loser over a million dollars a year? Crazy!
If Tanner stops the brain farts & our O-line puts forth a complete effort we'll do a great deal better next year.
Eaglewave
Swell

I expected much more out of Tanner Lee last season. Although I wanted him to wrong, Wave QB told us that Lee would look the way he looked if he was named the starter as a freshman or RSF. Those picks were horrible and Lee didn't look good under fire at all. CJ seems to believe in Lee, so I really hope he has a great season. With 3 years remaining, we need to know that we are ready to go at the QB position. Tanner will be CJ's first two year starter at QB in his era. We really need to know that CJ has an eye for a QB and who is best for our program. This season will tell us where we are going under CJ.

I sure hope he is ready to rumble in 2015 because I truly believe that he has solid skills.
Ball Sumrall!
Jonathan
Riptide

Tanner Lee was a major disappointment last season He came close to leading the nation in interceptions last year. The whole Tulane's season next year depends on him to wake up. Fire the Prices.Sadly I am losing hope with CJ and staff with three wins being paid over a million dollars a year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: We're in year 5 of the program and beating a service academy would be an upset? Ok.

We're three months into YEAR 4 of the CJ era, but don't let facts get in the way of making your point. I agree that we should have at minimum 6 wins next year or the search for a new HC should begin. But, at the same time, it's been a LONG LONG time since we've put a better team on the field than Navy.

Frankly, if the game were tomorrow, and the point spread was 15.5, I'd take Navy and lay the points.[/quote

only Year FOUR....damn it feels like FIVE or MORE... ya know how "time" is when things are bad
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !