Rich Rodriguez

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

TXWave88 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Dave breslin wrote:Are we still hashing RR s turning TU down? Would you work for the dick that dicked you or a boss who is a dick? Plain and simple!
There are more than a few interesting issues to parse out. I'll tell you what I am very interested in understanding:

By all accounts, RR was at a Tulane football game with a huge smile on his face and giving thumbs up to Tulane fans screaming his name. His former players who knew him personally seemed to think he was a serious candidate.

Later that night, RR was supposedly at the Wilson Center with Cowen/Dickson negotiating and going over things. Did Cowen not concede certain points, as TPS suggests? Did RR take a look at plans for a cheap/small stadium and decide that it was a deal breaker?

There is a lot to learn by understanding what happened. Although I would concede it is similarly likely that RR just played Cowen/Dickson like fools for $hits and giggles. He would be justified in doing so, but I remember that smile on his face at the Superdome and it was the look of a man who had every intention of becoming Tulane's coach.

I'm still heartbroken by the turn of events and would love to why this happened.
I agree with this except for the choice of examples JJ used. But RR was at the game and like he said, that smile, energy and excitement made it seem like we had a real chance if he was serious. It did not seem fake. I actually did not believe in anything until I saw the footage that night. It means nothing, but it would be nice to know what exactly what was discussed, offered, and turned down. Or in the end, know that it is was just to gain leverage for the job he really wanted.

Moving forward and not a knock on our current coach, but would we go after a big fish like that again or were Leach and RR the one time golden tickets we wanted?
You ALWAYS go after the big fish. Only at this godforsaken institution do people wonder whether trying to be successful is really on the agenda.

The problem was and still is that no one with any credibility will work for Cowen/Dickson, and they've appointed themselves lifetime employment contracts at Tulane. Therein lies the problem that no one talks about or addresses.

Fred Dowler
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:
TXWave88 wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: There are more than a few interesting issues to parse out. I'll tell you what I am very interested in understanding:

By all accounts, RR was at a Tulane football game with a huge smile on his face and giving thumbs up to Tulane fans screaming his name. His former players who knew him personally seemed to think he was a serious candidate.

Later that night, RR was supposedly at the Wilson Center with Cowen/Dickson negotiating and going over things. Did Cowen not concede certain points, as TPS suggests? Did RR take a look at plans for a cheap/small stadium and decide that it was a deal breaker?

There is a lot to learn by understanding what happened. Although I would concede it is similarly likely that RR just played Cowen/Dickson like fools for $hits and giggles. He would be justified in doing so, but I remember that smile on his face at the Superdome and it was the look of a man who had every intention of becoming Tulane's coach.

I'm still heartbroken by the turn of events and would love to why this happened.
I agree with this except for the choice of examples JJ used. But RR was at the game and like he said, that smile, energy and excitement made it seem like we had a real chance if he was serious. It did not seem fake. I actually did not believe in anything until I saw the footage that night. It means nothing, but it would be nice to know what exactly what was discussed, offered, and turned down. Or in the end, know that it is was just to gain leverage for the job he really wanted.

Moving forward and not a knock on our current coach, but would we go after a big fish like that again or were Leach and RR the one time golden tickets we wanted?
You ALWAYS go after the big fish. Only at this godforsaken institution do people wonder whether trying to be successful is really on the agenda.

The problem was and still is that no one with any credibility will work for Cowen/Dickson, and they've appointed themselves lifetime employment contracts at Tulane. Therein lies the problem that no one talks about or addresses.
Honestly, I believe that certain people were making a lot of statements at the time along the lines of "we're definitely going hard after the Big Fish this time around, and lots of Big Fish are jumping to get this position..." as a way of covering their rear ends when something that was much more likely to happen, TU being forced to take on a non-Big Fish coach just like Curtis Johnson, eventually did happen.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
Ascension Wave
Ripple

It's over move on............
JDTulane
Riptide

Ascension Wave wrote:It's over move on............
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fred Dowler wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:
Dave breslin wrote:Are we still hashing RR s turning TU down? Would you work for the dick that dicked you or a boss who is a dick? Plain and simple!
There are more than a few interesting issues to parse out. I'll tell you what I am very interested in understanding:

Highly likely in my view, whether or not they had ever gotten to the point of having substantive discussions, that Rich Rodriguez was just using TU's interest in him as leverage just like Harbaugh apparently did in 2007.
We were late to the game with Harbaugh, he'd already interviewed with Stanford, a much better program (and closer to his west coast home) and we were never even in contention.

CJ, in my view, is growing into this job. I hope he doesn't outgrow it. Let's be serious: he was never a coordinator at any level, has always been a master recruiter, and probably took the job because he wasn't sure he'd get another HC opportunity. This is a work in progress both with the team itself, and the coaching staff.

ROLL WAVE!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
CJ, in my view, is growing into this job. I hope he doesn't outgrow it. Let's be serious: he was never a coordinator at any level, has always been a master recruiter, and probably took the job because he wasn't sure he'd get another HC opportunity. This is a work in progress both with the team itself, and the coaching staff.
ROLL WAVE!
I hope he does outgrow it and we keep him.
He took the job also because this is a place that good coaches can win, and it's been proven over and over and over.
He also had the sense to hire a strong staff (he's been accused of hiring coaches at the end of their careers - only 2 could possibly fit that description: the OL coach and the LB coach - and both are in their 50s, not 60s.
I also think he's doing a lot of delegating, which is true. From what I've seen on the sideline, Price is handling the offense (with Neu), and Lionel is calling the defensive plays.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DELETE...this krap to the "former Tulane" employees krap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick of seeing it
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

New territory here........
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... e/9689725/
According to Arizona Board of Regents documents, a "major university benefactor" has offered to donate 500,000 units of a Master Limited Partnership (MLP) to the University of Arizona Foundation for the purposes of supporting the university, as well as keeping Miller, Rodriguez and Byrne in Tucson.

According to the documents, as of May 12, each MLP unit was valued at $35.36 for a total donation value of approximately $17.68 million. The units would be managed by Barclay's for eight years, during which time quarterly distributions of net income on 450,000 units would be distributed for athletics operational purposes. 50,000 units would be held for non-athletics purposes, with quarterly distributions to be used at the university president's discretion.

If Miller is still employed as UA basketball coach in eight years, he would receive a distribution of 175,000 units or may opt to have the units sold and receive the cash derived from the sale. If Miller is terminated without cause before the end of the eight-year period, he would receive a pro-rated share of the unit value through the first four years.

If Miller decides to leave UA or is terminated with cause at any time over the eight years, he would not receive the units. They would go to the athletic director to be used at his or her discretion in consultation with the donor.

Rodriguez has the same proposed retention deal. Byrne would receive 100,000 units if he remains UA's athletic director in eight years.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:New territory here........
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... e/9689725/
According to Arizona Board of Regents documents, a "major university benefactor" has offered to donate 500,000 units of a Master Limited Partnership (MLP) to the University of Arizona Foundation for the purposes of supporting the university, as well as keeping Miller, Rodriguez and Byrne in Tucson.

According to the documents, as of May 12, each MLP unit was valued at $35.36 for a total donation value of approximately $17.68 million. The units would be managed by Barclay's for eight years, during which time quarterly distributions of net income on 450,000 units would be distributed for athletics operational purposes. 50,000 units would be held for non-athletics purposes, with quarterly distributions to be used at the university president's discretion.

If Miller is still employed as UA basketball coach in eight years, he would receive a distribution of 175,000 units or may opt to have the units sold and receive the cash derived from the sale. If Miller is terminated without cause before the end of the eight-year period, he would receive a pro-rated share of the unit value through the first four years.

If Miller decides to leave UA or is terminated with cause at any time over the eight years, he would not receive the units. They would go to the athletic director to be used at his or her discretion in consultation with the donor.

Rodriguez has the same proposed retention deal. Byrne would receive 100,000 units if he remains UA's athletic director in eight years.
So smart. Gives a nice retention bonus and incentive for building a program long term.

Needless to say, they ain't building no "boutique" program.
sader24
Tsunami

I bet Michigan regrets firing him right when he was about to have it turned around. Up 10 on the #2 team in the country on the road.
Wave755
Tsunami

Congrats to coach RichRod, in this week 7 of his 3rd year Arizona is now ranked AP Top 10, & I will never forget how great it was when RichRod had us ranked AP 7th in the nation for the final football poll of 1998. http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings
Dave breslin
Swell

I'm watching Rich Rod playing ASU. They score faster than Price can read. He seems to coach his QB to NOT throw it to the other team .
Wave755
Tsunami

Arizona 42, ASU 35; in only RR's 3rd year Arizona wins the PAC 12 South, congrats RR and good luck in the championship game :) and thanks for absolutely nothing buffoon Cowen. :evil:
T1B2TW
High Tide

Wave755 wrote:Arizona 42, ASU 35; in only RR's 3rd year Arizona wins the PAC 12 South, congrats RR and good luck in the championship game :) and thanks for absolutely nothing buffoon Cowen. :evil:
Eventually most of you will come to the realization that even if RichRod did get the job after Bowden, he wouldn't still be at Tulane today.

That being said, his spread does not work the same way as most of the ones used today. His is better. What you don't see in his spread is the whole team going to the line of scrimmage and then facing their sideline to get the play. In his scheme the QB is getting the play while the rest of the players are returning to the positions from the last play or substituting, and then those players get the play from the QB. Faster/better that way.
Wave755
Tsunami

T1B2TW wrote:
Wave755 wrote:Arizona 42, ASU 35; in only RR's 3rd year Arizona wins the PAC 12 South, congrats RR and good luck in the championship game :) and thanks for absolutely nothing buffoon Cowen. :evil:
Eventually most of you will come to the realization that even if RichRod did get the job after Bowden, he wouldn't still be at Tulane today.

That being said, his spread does not work the same way as most of the ones used today. His is better. What you don't see in his spread is the whole team going to the line of scrimmage and then facing their sideline to get the play. In his scheme the QB is getting the play while the rest of the players are returning to the positions from the last play or substituting, and then those players get the play from the QB. Faster/better that way.
We all know RR would have stayed only about 3 years giving us plus Bowden's 2 seasons 5 winning seasons in a row. For 1997-98, at the very beginning of the BCS era, we were in a position to regenerate our program, with competent leadership we could have been the Baylor/TCU of today. 1998 was a great opportunity lost and instead Cowen decided upon "Case Western Tulane," OL coach Scelfo was "easy and cheap," $350K a year, and grateful to just have any head coaching job, a "warm body" who would stay. This is the point about RR you are missing.

And to quote John Maynard Keynes, "In the long run we are all dead."
DrBox
Riptide

T1B2TW wrote:
Everyone realizes that.
I assume that you realize that had we had 3 or so years of Rich Rod, the program would have actually built, grown and improved for at least 3 more seasons, and then we could have hired a RR coordinator. At the very least we WOULDN'T have had Scelfo around to dismantle our football program.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:
Everyone realizes that.
I assume that you realize that had we had 3 or so years of Rich Rod, the program would have actually built, grown and improved for at least 3 more seasons, and then we could have hired a RR coordinator. At the very least we WOULDN'T have had Scelfo around to dismantle our football program.
+1. The pool of candidates would have been much better and recruiting would have been easier too.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
JTLiuzza
Swell

DrBox wrote:
T1B2TW wrote:
Everyone realizes that.
+2. And what always gets me about the "RR would have bolted in 2 or 3 years anyway" is the implication that that somehow made it a smart decision to pass on him.
The second commandment has not been abrogated.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Scott Cowen not hiring Rod in 1998 cost Tulane athletics well over $100 million dollars in potential future revenues.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote:Scott Cowen not hiring Rod in 1998 cost Tulane athletics well over $100 million dollars in potential future revenues.
And his flawed "Tulane Model" continues to do so. To say we would have been in a P5 had he hired RR might be an over-simplification, but the seeds were sown to stay OUT of a P5 with that decision. Dickson is fulfilling Cowen's (horrible) legacy.

Congrats Rich Rod. I wish we signed you around mid November of 1998 and 2011.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

Damn, if we'd only kept Clark Shaughnessy, we'd have multiple national championships by now!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote:Damn, if we'd only kept Clark Shaughnessy, we'd have multiple national championships by now!
+1
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The good old days when our pool of candidates has us choose Shaughnessy over Rockne.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:The good old days when our pool of candidates has us choose Shaughnessy over Rockne.
If I remember correctly we passes on one Bo Schembeckler
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
lurker123
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
winwave wrote:The good old days when our pool of candidates has us choose Shaughnessy over Rockne.
If I remember correctly we passes on one Bo Schembeckler
You guys can't even shelf the "Woe is us pity party" on a Sunday morning. Shaughnessy is in the Hall of Fame.