Forum Updates + New Look

General announcements from the board administrators.

Dark Theme vs. Light Theme

Dark (http://gotula.net)
30%
Light (http://dev.gotula.net)
70%

Total votes: 23
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Posters of GOTULA,

For a couple of months now, the software that runs our forum has been out of date and running on an older version. With regards to security and bug fixes, I could not wait anymore, and I had to pull the trigger and perform the updates. With that being said, the updated forum was NOT compatible with the old styling. That is why we now have a new look. I am still tweaking settings, and I welcome any feedback you may have. It may take some getting used to, but I am confident you will do so. The one thing I'd like to know is if you like the dark or light theme. This is obviously the dark theme. The light theme can be found at http://dev.gotula.net. Take a look and let me know.

DO NOT POST ON THE DEV SITE!!! KEEP DISCUSSION HERE.

And if you visit this site on your phones, tablets, etc., you will notice that the forum IS optimized for mobile devices.

Thanks,
Stephen

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
msdos
Swell

Steve, I couldn't reply to your main message so I made this topic.

New look is decent, not 100% in love with it, but between the 2, I prefer the dark.

And even though you said it isn't optimized for mobile, it looks so much better than the old site on my phone.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

msdos wrote:Steve, I couldn't reply to your main message so I made this topic.

New look is decent, not 100% in love with it, but between the 2, I prefer the dark.

And even though you said it isn't optimized for mobile, it looks so much better than the old site on my phone.
That was a typo. I meant to say it IS mobile optimized. As far as the style, I agree it will take some getting used to. There currently aren't many themes to pick from/purchase that are compatible with the updated software.
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I prefer the light. Overall I'm not a fan of the new format.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I prefer the light. I agree with Winwave, not a big fan of this format.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote:I prefer the light. Overall I'm not a fan of the new format.
Thanks for the input. Like I said, I think it will take some getting used to. But I also plan to keep looking every few days for other options. Please make sure and vote as well.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

At first it was confusing but after using it I like it much better. It is great on mobile devices. The colors look like our football uni's. I think people will at first be confused but will figure it out and get used to it after awhile. I'm on a few forums that use this look now so it's not as big of an adjustment for me.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

There needs to be more contrast between the text and the background. If you go dark format, text needs to be white, or a lighter gray. If you go light format, text needs to be black. Make it as easy to read as possible, especially for older eyes.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
IM42lane
Swell

Like anything else in life, this will take some adjustment, but it looks very workable.
Regards,
"Pete" Madere
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

My local time is 7:28am but my post shows 6:28am. Where can I find a clock adjustment to sync it to CST. :mrgreen:
Never mind I found it in the User Control Panel and synced it.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

After looking at both themes the dark is a lot easier on the eyes. Thanks. I really think once people get used to it they will like it better. It has a modern feel to it.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Would it be possible to let the user select the theme under the User Control Panel? That way those that prefer dark could use that theme and those that prefer light could go with that theme.
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Dark's too dark, light's too light. Here is a compromise that is readable:
http://sportsjournalists.com/forum/
cajunfanatico
Swell

MicMan wrote:Dark's too dark, light's too light. Here is a compromise that is readable:
http://sportsjournalists.com/forum/
Thumbs up on that compromise. I have never been a fan of the dark background format. Having said that, still appreciate the site!
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Steve.... Good morning.... If the "light" background was not sooooo bright I would vote for that one..that said, U do what is best for you and the fine forum you founded !!!!

Thanks for your hard work, and putting up with all of those other jack rabbits, myself included !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote:If the "light" background was not sooooo bright I would vote for that one..
I agree. That's why I favored and voted for the dark. Bare with me while I try to find a good compromise of font/background color, etc.
Roll Wave!
Bigschtick
Riptide

On second look, white is too bright whereas dark is too dark.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Would it be possible to let the user select the theme under the User Control Panel? That way those that prefer dark could use that theme and those that prefer light could go with that theme.
No, unfortunately. I could set it up where the user could pick their own theme, but not variations of the same theme. Unless I can figure out a way to basically make a copy of the dark theme, and configure it as a light theme. I'll look into it, but not sure how feasible that is.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote:There needs to be more contrast between the text and the background. If you go dark format, text needs to be white, or a lighter gray. If you go light format, text needs to be black. Make it as easy to read as possible, especially for older eyes.
The text has now been lightened some.
Roll Wave!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I wasn't able to vote, but would vote for the lighter background.

Also, almost every UI update in the history of UI updates has been "hated" by a majority of the community at first, then accepted or even loved after the fact. If you find yourself not liking it, give it a few days.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:I wasn't able to vote, but would vote for the lighter background.

Is anyone else having problems voting? The majority is most likely going to win on this one.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

jonathanjoseph wrote:Also, almost every UI update in the history of UI updates has been "hated" by a majority of the community at first, then accepted or even loved after the fact. If you find yourself not liking it, give it a few days.
Good point. Thanks for bringing that up jj. Y'all use the forum for a couple of days, see if you get used to it. There are always going to be changes we don't like or aren't used to. Thanks to everyone for the input so far.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote:I wasn't able to vote, but would vote for the lighter background.

Is anyone else having problems voting? The majority is most likely going to win on this one.
No problem for me.
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

I was able to vote now, not sure why it wasn't an option before.
GreenLantern
Riptide

The new skin is very dark, but it will work fine. I took a peek at the lighter palette and agree with others that it is too bright. I will abstain and go with the majority.

FWIW, the dark palette is very clear and readable on an IPad.