Forum Updates + New Look

General announcements from the board administrators.

Dark Theme vs. Light Theme

Dark (http://gotula.net)
30%
Light (http://dev.gotula.net)
70%

Total votes: 23
exflash
High Tide

Congrats on the new look---I love the Columbian blue with the black, but the white on the black for all the majority is quite strong---Sorry we didn't take down the Baton Rouge guys last night but the crowd was a record!!!

Jonathan
Riptide

Do not like the black back ground at all. I wish you would have given your posters input on this before you made the move. Hard on the eyes!
Houma de Wave
Swell

I can hang with this!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Stephen one thing that I think would improve the browsing experience in to tighten the space (height) between the Forums on the main page. That way on a mobile device you could see more text without the need for scrolling. I do miss being able to see more on the old version. Perhaps that info such as number of topics etc could be hidden to fit more text on the screen.
Also the Gotula header seems like it has too much blank space above and below. If that could be pinched down some that would be better use of limited mobile real estate.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Stephen one thing that I think would improve the browsing experience in to tighten the space (height) between the Forums on the main page. That way on a mobile device you could see more text without the need for scrolling. I do miss being able to see more on the old version. Perhaps that info such as number of topics etc could be hidden to fit more text on the screen.
Not sure what I can do to fix this one right away. I need to play around with the CSS. I'll try tinkering with it. Problem is, given that it is a responsive design, a lot of information is hidden on mobile devices for rendering and display purposes. But still, let me see what I can do.
tpstulane wrote:Also the Gotula header seems like it has too much blank space above and below. If that could be pinched down some that would be better use of limited mobile real estate.
Ok, the height of the header has been reduced by 55 pixels.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Stephen one thing that I think would improve the browsing experience in to tighten the space (height) between the Forums on the main page. That way on a mobile device you could see more text without the need for scrolling. I do miss being able to see more on the old version. Perhaps that info such as number of topics etc could be hidden to fit more text on the screen.
Not sure what I can do to fix this one right away. I need to play around with the CSS. I'll try tinkering with it. Problem is, given that it is a responsive design, a lot of information is hidden on mobile devices for rendering and display purposes. But still, let me see what I can do.
tpstulane wrote:Also the Gotula header seems like it has too much blank space above and below. If that could be pinched down some that would be better use of limited mobile real estate.
Ok, the height of the header has been reduced by 55 pixels.
Good. Also noticed that drop down menu below the GoTula. Perhaps you could place that on the same line as GoTula to the far left or right or at the top right of the search gear. Checkout how nola.com does it. That would allow for more text at one view.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Good. Also noticed that drop down menu below the GoTula. Perhaps you could place that on the same line as GoTula to the far left or right or at the top right of the search gear. Checkout how nola.com does it. That would allow for more text at one view.
I've actually already noticed that and have already put in a request to the developers of the theme to see if it can be easily done before I start poking around in the code. Stay tuned.
Roll Wave!
sader24
Tsunami

I like the dark better than the light which is pretty blinding.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Good. Also noticed that drop down menu below the GoTula. Perhaps you could place that on the same line as GoTula to the far left or right or at the top right of the search gear. Checkout how nola.com does it. That would allow for more text at one view.
I've actually already noticed that and have already put in a request to the developers of the theme to see if it can be easily done before I start poking around in the code. Stay tuned.
Great!
Tulane Class of 1981
Jonathan
Riptide

Steve Can you lighten the background and get more olive green in. I like the blue.
NewWave
Ripple

I vote for whatevever one Jonathan did not want :mrgreen:
Jonathan
Riptide

Steve I hate this new format. Bring back the old. These dark black colors are horrible.
Wave755
Tsunami

Steve, day 2 now seems much easier to read for the forum than yesterday? Did you change the contrast in some way for the forum?

In any event, new forum looks great!

Many thanks for all you have done for Wave fans.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Wave755 wrote:Steve, day 2 now seems much easier to read for the forum than yesterday? Did you change the contrast in some way for the forum?

In any event, new forum looks great!

Many thanks for all you have done for Wave fans.
The colors were adjusted some, as well as some other layout items. There are a couple of other usability styling issues I am trying to sort out, but haven't been successful yet.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Steve I hate this new format. Bring back the old. These dark black colors are horrible.
The old look is no longer an option Jonathan. The board NEEDED to be updated for security reasons and in doing so, we lost the old look. The majority so far favor the darker look, but I will keep trying to adjust things here and there to hopefully find a happy medium.
Roll Wave!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I like the color combo with light lettering on a dark background.

The only criticism I have thus far is the extra click added to get to active topics. I would prefer to have that button on the top of every page rather than have to go into the "Forum" pull down menu.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here's a tip I found. The color contrast on my iPhone looks terrific. On my old laptop at first they were off but I adjusted the screen contrast and it did make a big difference. I'm sure anyone using an older PC needs to adjust the contrast on their own screen. It will help a great deal to distinguish the gray from the black.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Here's a tip I found. The color contrast on my iPhone looks terrific. On my old laptop at first they were off but I adjusted the screen contrast and it did make a big difference. I'm sure anyone using an older PC needs to adjust the contrast on their own screen. It will help a great deal to distinguish the gray from the black.
A big +1. Try browsing the forum on several different monitors/devices/screens etc. Adjusting your contrast will maybe let you see additional darker shades that you couldn't before.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:I like the color combo with light lettering on a dark background.

The only criticism I have thus far is the extra click added to get to active topics. I would prefer to have that button on the top of every page rather than have to go into the "Forum" pull down menu.
I've added a Recent Topics section on the Home Page that shows the 5 most recently active threads. Does that help?
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes!
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:Yes!
I think 5 is a good number. If the majority wants more, I can bump it up. But thanks for the input. I like this one a lot.
Roll Wave!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Since the trend is mobile this new software is the Bomb for mobile devices! I really like the most recent sort to the top. It's great not having to scroll far. And I have reversed my thread order to most recent to the top as well (ascending/descending in the user control panel) That way I dont have to scroll down much to see the most recent post within the most recent topic. Once people get used to it they will like it much better than the old software.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I like the color combo with light lettering on a dark background.

I've added a Recent Topics section on the Home Page that shows the 5 most recently active threads. Does that help?
I am not a fan of this addition. I don't see where the extra click is required that D was talking about.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Before you had to click on one of the forums now it automatically goes to the top showing the latest post without having to click on the forum then clicking on the thread. Anything posted recently automatically goes to the top under Recent Topic section. It's great on a small screen mobile device.
Tulane Class of 1981
TulaCutie
Ripple

Dark. It looks really good on my iPhone.