Forum/Server Upgrade & Theme Update

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
IM42lane
Swell

IM42lane wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:33 pm Oh, Gawd, must we really have to CHANGE again! This is BRUTAL!!!!
Actually, this is really OK. Many of you must realize that upgrades to computer software MUST be made from time to time to keep up with the latest developments . I will adjust to this new theme. I (and the rest of you) just need some practice.

Many THANKS for keeping this forum up and running over the years.

Regards,
"Pete" Madere
Bigschtick
Riptide

IM42lane wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am
IM42lane wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:33 pm Oh, Gawd, must we really have to CHANGE again! This is BRUTAL!!!!
Actually, this is really OK. Many of you must realize that upgrades to computer software MUST be made from time to time to keep up with the latest developments . I will adjust to this new theme. I (and the rest of you) just need some practice.

Many THANKS for keeping this forum up and running over the years.

Yes, I will adjust too and I am sorry that you were annoyed with my comment.. I am sure that I am not the first to have had the same sentiment but that said, like others, I appreciate your efforts in keeping the site going so
we have an alternative to Yoggie and "All Wind Wave".
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Didn't mean to come off snippy. It was just kind of a bitch to upgrade and get most things working smoothly, and that was the first feedback I received. :mrgreen:

That being said, if you guys come up with any suggestions after using the new style for a bit, please shoot them my way, and I'll see what I can do.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
McWave
High Tide

I appreciate your efforts and this forum. I understand your are not doing this for the money but could you add a voluntary donation feature to better express our appreciation. Just and idea.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

McWave wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 am I appreciate your efforts and this forum. I understand your are not doing this for the money but could you add a voluntary donation feature to better express our appreciation. Just and idea.
While I appreciate the idea, that's not necessary. The ads I run on the site are there for that very purpose, to pay for the monthly server fee, backups, and any related expenses. Click an ad every once in a while if it's something you're interested in. That's all I ask. Roll Wave! :mrgreen:
Roll Wave!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Steve,
I'm noticing that sometimes when people are responding to one another the content is really spread out thin thus making it long. It happened in the back and forth between you and tps in the other thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

winwave wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:34 pm Steve,
I'm noticing that sometimes when people are responding to one another the content is really spread out thin thus making it long. It happened in the back and forth between you and tps in the other thread.
Any way you're able to screenshot what you're seeing?
Roll Wave!
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Thank you Steve for running this site. I primarily rely on this site for insider info on state of Tulane Athletics. I do like the new background of the Angry Wave and the site is looking more "modern".
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Site is great. I use my phone 100% of the time to access it. The only negative difference is when a quote gets a quote inside of another quote the post gets rather long and truncates down. I wonder if we can adjust that somehow.
Ex:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

TPS: An easy solution is to delete all but the part of the thread you're responding to. It's more difficult on a phone than a PC or laptop, but it isn't that hard to do.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:44 pm TPS: An easy solution is to delete all but the part of the thread you're responding to. It's more difficult on a phone than a PC or laptop, but it isn't that hard to do.
Right. But I’m talking about reading it.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:46 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:44 pm TPS: An easy solution is to delete all but the part of the thread you're responding to. It's more difficult on a phone than a PC or laptop, but it isn't that hard to do.
I see what y'all are talking about now. Let me see what I can do, but at this point I'm not too sure. Since the site is responsive, it's spacing out the text. And, there currently isn't a separate style for nested comments for mobile vs. desktop. I'll tinker, but can't guarantee anything until I get in the code.
Roll Wave!
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wow, you had me confused for a moment. Was looking to reply to the Theme change announcement and there was no reply box! I'm assuming the thread was locked to get people to use this one. Personally, I use the site mostly on a desktop, so I don't have a problem with this look at all. Its a little different, but nothing major, just a matter of finding where things are.

However, just wondering, are we trying to incorporate the lime green look like the school has, or is it just a matter of not having tweaked the green to be closer to school colors yet?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:00 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:46 pm
I see what y'all are talking about now. Let me see what I can do, but at this point I'm not too sure. Since the site is responsive, it's spacing out the text. And, there currently isn't a separate style for nested comments for mobile vs. desktop. I'll tinker, but can't guarantee anything until I get in the code.
Thanks
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:07 pm However, just wondering, are we trying to incorporate the lime green look like the school has, or is it just a matter of not having tweaked the green to be closer to school colors yet?
Not really sure to be honest. The color palettes I've seen in general work better with the current green of the site vs. true olive green of Tulane.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I've also just installed some packages (software) on our new server that should speed up load times for the forum. Let me know if you have any issues.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Moved this topic to the Huddle so that others can reply. Sorry, forgot that when I move it to announcements, the thread gets locked down.
Roll Wave!
MicMan
Swell

Getting closer, better as of today. Type for reply box is still tiny on Android though.
msdos
Swell

Steve,
I barely pop in any more, ever since we started tanking in hoops, so you don't need to weigh my opinion too strongly.

I did not like it at first but couldn't put my finger on it, so didn't comment. But in the most recent change, you've done some changes to the fonts and it's been a big improvement.

My other complaint was that everything was white so I couldn't differentiate easily between posts, but now there is a lighter gray box around everything so that is better as well.

I still can't really put my finger on what else it is that I don't love, but every change you made since the launch of the new theme has been an improvement, so carry on.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I have adjusted very quickly. Its fine by me.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Hi, Steve,

I like that a lot of the color related fixes make various parts of the site easier to read. Can we do something about the pull-down "quick links" menu at the top left corner of the page? That's still a bit washed out by the white background. Thanks!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:07 am Hi, Steve,

I like that a lot of the color related fixes make various parts of the site easier to read. Can we do something about the pull-down "quick links" menu at the top left corner of the page? That's still a bit washed out by the white background. Thanks!
Noticed that a while back, totally slipped my mind. Let me go tinker.
Roll Wave!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:07 am Hi, Steve,

Clear your browser cache, and the updated color for the dropdown menu should be fixed, and much more readable on the white background.
Roll Wave!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

That worked! Thanks, Steve.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Hey, Steve,
I don't know if other's have this same experience, but when I'm writing a reply in a thread, the washout makes it difficult to read, particularly difficult to see punctuation. I don't know if the fixes you applied have affected the reply area. THANKS!