memo to all " I'm waiting for my PEE 5 ride "

Talk about the latest recruits here.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Jaxwave
Swell

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Schools take about 40 commitments then pare them down and dump commits all the time when a better recruit comes along. I would advise my son to privately commit to as many schools as would take them so he's not left high and dry if the schools start dropping him.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote:That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Schools take about 40 commitments then pare them down and dump commits all the time when a better recruit comes along. I would advise my son to privately commit to as many schools as would take them so he's not left high and dry if the schools start dropping him.
When I read the article, I wondered if some coach didn't plant the whole story trying to get recruits to commit. Then I thought about it and realized that early commitments can be just as hazardous as those that juggle multiple offers: until they sign their LOI, they can back out and leave the program they were "committed" to high and dry. But you're right, it was a puff piece that offered little insight into the recruiting process.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
Jaxwave wrote:That is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Schools take about 40 commitments then pare them down and dump commits all the time when a better recruit comes along. I would advise my son to privately commit to as many schools as would take them so he's not left high and dry if the schools start dropping him.
When I read the article, I wondered if some coach didn't plant the whole story trying to get recruits to commit. Then I thought about it and realized that early commitments can be just as hazardous as those that juggle multiple offers: until they sign their LOI, they can back out and leave the program they were "committed" to high and dry. But you're right, it was a puff piece that offered little insight into the recruiting process.
or as some recruits may say...'show me the money, or the strippers"..oh, wait, that really does not happen, does it ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

The article has some value in that almost all non-elite recruits are better off committing to a offer for a program that they honestly prefer over their other offers at a reasonable time (probably around august) than to commit to no offer and wait until the last minute to commit and run the risk of either not being able to commit to that offer or not receiving an equivalent or better offer (unless they are 5* or some 4*s). If a committed recruit receives a subsequent offer that he believes is a better fit, he can always decommit from the current program and commit to the new program at that time.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote:The article has some value in that almost all non-elite recruits are better off committing to a offer for a program that they honestly prefer over their other offers at a reasonable time (probably around august) than to commit to no offer and wait until the last minute to commit and run the risk of either not being able to commit to that offer or not receiving an equivalent or better offer (unless they are 5* or some 4*s). If a committed recruit receives a subsequent offer that he believes is a better fit, he can always decommit from the current program and commit to the new program at that time.
I agree. The only thing I would change is that, IMHO, 4* recruits can play the game as if they hold a trump card as much as the 5* recruits. I haven't looked in a year or two, but last I checked, there were only about 25 five star recruits ad roughly 120-140 four star recruits. That same last look (and I don't have time to re-research) only 1 four star and ZERO 5 star recruits signed with a G5. That was a recruit that followed Herman from Ohio State to Houston. But I think most, if not all of the information in that article is pretty well known by the sports fan community. And as you point out, decommitting before signing day is always a possibility.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V