Steve Lewerenz commits

Talk about the latest recruits here.
greenphantom
Swell

HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:but for a misguided Texas GuvNuh, UH would be in the Big 12...but she insisted her alma mater Baylor be included, so that dumped UH...all things being equal, UH was still in the mix, but Tx Tech made more geographical sense for Colorado and Iowa State and in some small way OU and OSU...so UH got the ax
Geography may have helped TT, at UH's expense, but TT primarily got in the mix because the then Texas Speaker of the House, Gib Lewis, was a TT alum, and he did the same thing that Gov. Ma Richardson did for Baylor--it was all politics. Not only did UH get hosed, but so did SMU who had dominated those teams throughout the 80's.
You mean those SMU teams right before the death penalty? Yes, those were some great teams, they had a higher payroll than many of the NFL teams. Eric Dickerson asked to get traded from the Rams because he made more money in college!
Many of the teams in question had payrolls, as do most of the football factories around the country--then and now. NCAA has acknowledged that they made a huge mistake slapping the death penalty on SMU. There has since been several more egregious violations, but the NCAA will not repeat the mistake it made with SMU.
How nice of the NCAA, lol. They completely crushed a small private school while casting a blind eye toward the traditional powers. Not saying SMU wasn't out of control at the time but I find it hard to believe they were doing anything different than Alabama, Oklahoma, etc

RobertM320
Green Wave

greenphantom wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:but for a misguided Texas GuvNuh, UH would be in the Big 12...but she insisted her alma mater Baylor be included, so that dumped UH...all things being equal, UH was still in the mix, but Tx Tech made more geographical sense for Colorado and Iowa State and in some small way OU and OSU...so UH got the ax
Geography may have helped TT, at UH's expense, but TT primarily got in the mix because the then Texas Speaker of the House, Gib Lewis, was a TT alum, and he did the same thing that Gov. Ma Richardson did for Baylor--it was all politics. Not only did UH get hosed, but so did SMU who had dominated those teams throughout the 80's.
You mean those SMU teams right before the death penalty? Yes, those were some great teams, they had a higher payroll than many of the NFL teams. Eric Dickerson asked to get traded from the Rams because he made more money in college!
Many of the teams in question had payrolls, as do most of the football factories around the country--then and now. NCAA has acknowledged that they made a huge mistake slapping the death penalty on SMU. There has since been several more egregious violations, but the NCAA will not repeat the mistake it made with SMU.
How nice of the NCAA, lol. They completely crushed a small private school while casting a blind eye toward the traditional powers. Not saying SMU wasn't out of control at the time but I find it hard to believe they were doing anything different than Alabama, Oklahoma, etc
My thought as well, Green Phantom. Maybe by nailing SMU, they sent the wrong message. The message was, "we can't touch the big boys, so we'll make a token gesture to look like we're doing something". The message would have been much clearer if they had killed off the program of an LSU or Florida State or Miami. If EVERYONE felt they could be nailed, it would have had an effect. Kind of the same problem we have with criminals today. They know they're only going to get a slap on the wrist, even if they get caught, so there's no deterrent.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
My thought as well, Green Phantom. Maybe by nailing SMU, they sent the wrong message. The message was, "we can't touch the big boys, so we'll make a token gesture to look like we're doing something". The message would have been much clearer if they had killed off the program of an LSU or Florida State or Miami. If EVERYONE felt they could be nailed, it would have had an effect. Kind of the same problem we have with criminals today. They know they're only going to get a slap on the wrist, even if they get caught, so there's no deterrent.
Criminals today have a better life inside, than they do on the outside...a bed, three meals, TV, internet, drugs, health care and if you wish to participate inmate sex....except if you are a guest of the Sheriff in PHX and live in Tent City !!!!...only two meals a day, limited TV, zero internet, no AC..and they still have "chain gangs"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

"That sheriff" you refer to, Golfnut, was overwhelmingly defeated for reelection this past November; tent city has been shut down, only 300 now there, had "housed" 3,200; and he is on trial in federal court in Phoenix for criminal obstruction of justice, facing one to five years if found guilty, he's now 85.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenphantom wrote:
SMU was one of the bigger football powers at the time. (I believe they beat Tulane by a score of 77-14, but I haven't checked that.) They were considered a Big Time Football School at the time mostly because they had been paying players for 10 years, finishing ranked in something like 7 or 8 of those 10, and missing out on a chance to play for the MNC because they settled for a tie with Arkansas. SMU was cited multiple times for paying players and recruits. It was told that the NCAA was putting in a death penalty for multiple repeat offenders of the same violation. They swore up and down to the NCAA that their slush fund had been shut down, when, in fact it continued un-interrupted. When this came out, they got the penalty that the NCAA instituted thinking it would never have to use. Corruption wasn't limited to the Athletics Department; the Administration of SMU knew what was happening and lied to the NCAA. Some left in the wake of the death penalty receiving large six-figure payments to keep their mouths shut.

The Pony Express was a very well paid team. And it continued to be well paid despite promises to the NCAA that it was no longer getting paid. And they were guilty not once or twice, but at least three times of lying about the whole ordeal.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:"That sheriff" you refer to, Golfnut, was overwhelmingly defeated for reelection this past November; tent city has been shut down, only 300 now there, had "housed" 3,200; and he is on trial in federal court in Phoenix for criminal obstruction of justice, facing one to five years if found guilty, he's now 85.

Pete...did not know he was no longer King...just saw him on TV while flipping thru the channels last week...I guess PHX will become the next CHI or MSY
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:
greenphantom wrote:
SMU was one of the bigger football powers at the time. (I believe they beat Tulane by a score of 77-14, but I haven't checked that.) They were considered a Big Time Football School at the time mostly because they had been paying players for 10 years, finishing ranked in something like 7 or 8 of those 10, and missing out on a chance to play for the MNC because they settled for a tie with Arkansas. SMU was cited multiple times for paying players and recruits. It was told that the NCAA was putting in a death penalty for multiple repeat offenders of the same violation. They swore up and down to the NCAA that their slush fund had been shut down, when, in fact it continued un-interrupted. When this came out, they got the penalty that the NCAA instituted thinking it would never have to use. Corruption wasn't limited to the Athletics Department; the Administration of SMU knew what was happening and lied to the NCAA. Some left in the wake of the death penalty receiving large six-figure payments to keep their mouths shut.

The Pony Express was a very well paid team. And it continued to be well paid despite promises to the NCAA that it was no longer getting paid. And they were guilty not once or twice, but at least three times of lying about the whole ordeal.
D...every school in the SWC had a payroll....Hell the car Dickerson drove while is was at SMU was bought by Texas A&M prior to signing day, he then signed with SMU...whatta U going to do, scream that you have to sign with us, we bought you a car !!!...I am not a big ESPN fan but the program they had about SMU getting shut down was / is a good piece...that said, the NCAA will never again impose the death penalty
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Not every school, 'nut. Just the ones that were competitive. But it wasn't a case of "poor little SMU got picked on by the bully NCAA." SMU repeatedly and continuously blatantly broke the same rules over and over again and lied to the NCAA about it.

I don't know that the NCAA will never again impose the death penalty, but I don't think they'll ever face the same sort of repeated violations and lying by University Administrators as high up as were found at SMU. Again, the NCAA put the death penalty in play hoping it would never have to use it. As a matter of fact, SMU and Texas were two of a small group that voted against it at that time. They probably knew they were guilty of repeated violations that would warrant the first use of the death sentence.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenphantom
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
greenphantom wrote:

True, but they were a power only for a short time period. They certainly were not a traditional power. Again, I don't believe they were doing anything different than Bama, OU, A&M, etc. SMU started beating these teams at their own game and the NCAA decided to throw the hammer down. You would have never seen them do that to a Bama.