College baseball

Talk about the latest recruits here.
chain gang x man
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote:Chaingang puttin' in work! :cheers:
Keeps me occupied

I have to say other then Trent Johnson and Trevor Jensen none of these guys are a lock for next year
Two Div 2 players
One Div 3 player
One who didn't play in the NJUCOAA

chain gang x man
Swell

I just posted another recruit from Central Arizona Ty Johnson Catcher

Ty Johnson a catcher from Anacortes, WA has also committed to play for Coach Jewett and Tulane University. Johnson transferred with teammate Ryley Widell from Washington State University to Central Arizona. As a freshman for the Cougars, Johnson started 23 games and hit .349 in PAC12 play. "Ty is a dirtball in the best sense of the word. He works hard and is a grinder, a true catcher with a big arm," said Gilich

I'm not impressed with his defensive skills

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/bsb/2016-17 ... ohnsondww6
Profoundwizard
Swell

chain gang x man wrote:
ajcalhoun wrote:Chaingang puttin' in work! :cheers:
Keeps me occupied

I have to say other then Trent Johnson and Trevor Jensen none of these guys are a lock for next year
Two Div 2 players
One Div 3 player
One who didn't play in the NJUCOAA
I think Roper will be pretty good too but I mostly agree. There are no locks.
chain gang x man
Swell

Report on Jonathan Artigues last night summer ball
Pretty well, thank you. 2-3 with three walks. (6 AB's). Played shortstop. Made several plays defensively. Looked like someone that used to play infield getting the rust off again from catching the last 3 months!
chain gang x man
Swell

Josh Bates misses no hitter in state 5A Florida semifinals
Settles for one hit shutout

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/h ... story.html
anEngineer
Riptide

Anyone else saw Doug Mouton's piece last night on the 10 PM news about Dannen hiring Jewett over Cannizaro and Riser? It asked a lot of the questions asked here frequently and was pretty hard-hitting. He brought up the fact that Cannizaro or Riser was a no-brainer choice, yet Dannen went with a guy whose entire coaching staff is from Washington state. Mouton said the ultimate proof is in the winning but right now it looks like an odd and wrong choice. Combined with Ed Daniels' commentary, the media honeymoon seems to be over for Dannen unless somebody starts winning something soon.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote:Anyone else saw Doug Mouton's piece last night on the 10 PM news about Dannen hiring Jewett over Cannizaro and Riser? It asked a lot of the questions asked here frequently and was pretty hard-hitting. He brought up the fact that Cannizaro or Riser was a no-brainer choice, yet Dannen went with a guy whose entire coaching staff is from Washington state. Mouton said the ultimate proof is in the winning but right now it looks like an odd and wrong choice. Combined with Ed Daniels' commentary, the media honeymoon seems to be over for Dannen unless somebody starts winning something soon.
I give TD two more years, if the on field / court results do not improve drastically, Fitts needs to pull the plug.... an AD's ego cannot be larger than the Coach's he hires, and in this case, I think it is the "case"....
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bearwave
High Tide

anEngineer wrote:Anyone else saw Doug Mouton's piece last night on the 10 PM news about Dannen hiring Jewett over Cannizaro and Riser? It asked a lot of the questions asked here frequently and was pretty hard-hitting. He brought up the fact that Cannizaro or Riser was a no-brainer choice, yet Dannen went with a guy whose entire coaching staff is from Washington state. Mouton said the ultimate proof is in the winning but right now it looks like an odd and wrong choice. Combined with Ed Daniels' commentary, the media honeymoon seems to be over for Dannen unless somebody starts winning something soon.
Just wait until football crashes and burns this year. TD will have to hide.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I missed it but received numerous texts about it. To pass over those two great Tulane alums with CWS participant experience and success in coaching was certainly a head scratcher. Jewett was strictly a resume hire (almost 20 years as an assistant but never a HC on a major level). I'm sure it was decided to hire him before any interviews were even conducted. If Jewett wins all is forgiven. Should he fail we'll have baseball's version of the Rich Rodriguez fiasco.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually it wasn't hard hitting. Mouton made it clear he knows both AC and MR personally and thus his motivation for the report. He finished by saying you can't judge on one year and all that. He called it confusing when it wasn't. The Tulane baseball job will always bring a large number of qualified candidates. AC had coached for two years at a super power. They won big before him and will win big after him. Riser was 31 and at a program that Artigues had built up. Jewett on paper had been at private and had great success. He said he could make it work at Tulane. He got the job. Maybe it will turn out to be the wrong decision. However as I have already posted it is too early to anoint anyone or crucify anyone.

AS FOR MOUTON WHERE THE FUCK HAS HE BEEN IN ALL OF HIS TIME AS THE ANCHOR OF THE MOST WATCHED STATION LOCALLY WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL AT TULANE. TULANE FANS SHOULD BE RINGING HIS PHONE OFF THE HOOK TODAY DEMANDING HE GIVE THAT TYPE OF COVERAGE TO THE TWO PROGRAMS THAT COUNT.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bearwave
High Tide

winwave wrote:
Actually it wasn't hard hitting. Mouton made it clear he knows both AC and MR personally and thus his motivation for the report. He finished by saying you can't judge on one year and all that. He called it confusing when it wasn't. The Tulane baseball job will always bring a large number of qualified candidates. AC had coached for two years at a super power. They won big before him and will win big after him. Riser was 31 and at a program that Artigues had built up. Jewett on paper had been at private and had great success. He said he could make it work at Tulane. He got the job. Maybe it will turn out to be the wrong decision. However as I have already posted it is too early to anoint anyone or crucify anyone.

AS FOR MOUTON WHERE THE f**k HAS HE BEEN IN ALL OF HIS TIME AS THE ANCHOR OF THE MOST WATCHED STATION LOCALLY WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL AT TULANE. TULANE FANS SHOULD BE RINGING HIS PHONE OFF THE HOOK TODAY DEMANDING HE GIVE THAT TYPE OF COVERAGE TO THE TWO PROGRAMS THAT COUNT.
given the product on the field in those two do you really want more public humiliation?
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote:

AS FOR MOUTON WHERE THE f**k HAS HE BEEN IN ALL OF HIS TIME AS THE ANCHOR OF THE MOST WATCHED STATION LOCALLY WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL AT TULANE. TULANE FANS SHOULD BE RINGING HIS PHONE OFF THE HOOK TODAY DEMANDING HE GIVE THAT TYPE OF COVERAGE TO THE TWO PROGRAMS THAT COUNT.
Pretty neat how you totally dismiss what Riser has done. Artigues was doing a fine job but Riser has taken them far above where they were.

Jewett was also at 2 Super Powers, Arizona St and Vandy won before him and they'll win after him. The rest of his record doesn't impress anyone.

It is too early to anoint or crucify anyone, but we can still talk about it. We can still be critical of Jewett and Dannen.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bearwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

given the product on the field in those two do you really want more public humiliation?
I want media pressure on Tulane to win.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:
winwave wrote:

Pretty neat how you totally dismiss what Riser has done. Artigues was doing a fine job but Riser has taken them far above where they were.

Jewett was also at 2 Super Powers, Arizona St and Vandy won before him and they'll win after him. The rest of his record doesn't impress anyone.

It is too early to anoint or crucify anyone, but we can still talk about it. We can still be critical of Jewett and Dannen.
Didn't dismiss it. It's a fact that Artigues had turned it around there. Matt has taken it up. The point is he's still very young . He lalso knows he needs to go somewhere else and win there to show it is about him. He tried for the La. Tech job too b/c of that. What I was trying to say is that it wasn't a confusing decision the way it was portrayed by Mouton. They were all qualified. There were things to like and dislike about each one's resume. He made a choice and it's too early to tell how it will work out. If he wanted to say it looks bad now that would have fit. But he tried to say that a the time it was a CONFUSING DECISION. It wasn't. It may not have been popular w/some but it wasn't confusing. he thought he picked the best one from a pool of qualified candidates.
Profoundwizard
Swell

I don't recall him going after the La Tech job but I'd say that money was probably an issue there. Southland conference coaches get paid very little
Bearwave
High Tide

winwave wrote:
Bearwave wrote:
winwave wrote:

I want media pressure on Tulane to win.
Fair point, just wonder if anyone in power even watches or listens.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote:I don't recall him going after the La Tech job but I'd say that money was probably an issue there. Southland conference coaches get paid very little
That was Gautreau. And I laughed as some said Andy had to first prove himself at a smaller baseball HC job then maybe he'd be ready for Tulane. The true baseball minds knew better.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Some facts about Riser. He coaches at a double directional school. He does more with less than probably any other coach in the country. Prior to him becoming head coach SELA hadn't made a regional in 20 years. Two years before he became HC he was Jay Artigues recruiting coordinator. So these are all his guys. He's now taken SELA to a regional in 3 out of his 4 years as being a HC.(2014,16 and 17) and they were 41-15 in 2015 and got robbed out of that bid. Artigues didn't do it once in all his years there. Matt will get a big time job very soon. Take that to the bank.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote:Some facts about Riser. He coaches at a double directional school. He does more with less than probably any other coach in the country. Prior to him becoming head coach SELA hadn't made a regional in 20 years. Two years before he became HC he was Jay Artigues recruiting coordinator. So these are all his guys. He's now taken SELA to a regional in 3 out of his 4 years as being a HC.(2014,16 and 17) and they were 41-15 in 2015 and got robbed out of that bid. Artigues didn't do it once in all his years there. Matt will get a big time job very soon. Take that to the bank.
Absurd resume. He gonna get paid.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Riser did go for the La. Tech job last year. That is from a very inside source at SELA. Just to be clear from the beginning all I wanted was a national search. Many felt the same way. All the names that surfaced including Walter were qualified. In time we'll see how it plays out. I hope they all succeed.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote:Riser did go for the La. Tech job last year. That is from a very inside source at SELA. Just to be clear from the beginning all I wanted was a national search. Many felt the same way. All the names that surfaced including Walter were qualified. In time we'll see how it plays out. I hope they all succeed.
According to this, you are all wrong:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /86860168/
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

in all honesty, i wouldnt want this baseball job as it sits right now. your hands are tied behind your back and you cant compete with other unviersity offers. That has to be fixed. Does anyone on this board really not know anyone at the top to get this fixed and put a end to this no stacking issue?

What have they said about it? is it getting fixed or in the process of getting fixed? Has someone asked Troy Dannen about timeline of when its going to get fixed and what he's doing to fix it? Results will not change in baseball until that happens.....we keep waiting and waiting every year, hoping and praying that one year we will be back and on our way to CWS again. It isn't going to happen until the underlying issue is solved....period. The sooner someone get something fixed on that front the better.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Some facts about Riser. He coaches at a double directional school. He does more with less than probably any other coach in the country. Prior to him becoming head coach SELA hadn't made a regional in 20 years. Two years before he became HC he was Jay Artigues recruiting coordinator. So these are all his guys. He's now taken SELA to a regional in 3 out of his 4 years as being a HC.(2014,16 and 17) and they were 41-15 in 2015 and got robbed out of that bid. Artigues didn't do it once in all his years there. Matt will get a big time job very soon. Take that to the bank.
Absurd resume. He gonna get paid.
Add to that as a player he went to the CWS.
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote:
winwave wrote:Riser did go for the La. Tech job last year. That is from a very inside source at SELA. Just to be clear from the beginning all I wanted was a national search. Many felt the same way. All the names that surfaced including Walter were qualified. In time we'll see how it plays out. I hope they all succeed.
According to this, you are all wrong:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports ... /86860168/
His name isn't in the article but he did apply. Like I said that is from an impeccable source at SELA's athletic department.